PDA

View Full Version : Don't buy an HDTV just yet

JPaul
03-02-2006, 08:13 PM
If you're one of the first adopters who mortgaged the house to buy the earliest HDTV displays, don't expect to get full HD resolution when you take out a second mortgage for a high-def disc player when they come out later this year. Today the copy-protection rules for Blu-ray or HD DVD — the two formats competing to be the standard for HD discs — are being unveiled. Called Advanced Access Content System (AACS), the rules clearly show the major movie studios are determined to stymie potential piracy, but their efforts may short-change people with older HDTVs. AACS says the new players won't output a full-HD signal from their component-video connections, since those jacks are analog instead of digital and thus have no copy protection. The "down-rezzed" signals will be limited to a resolution of 960 x 540 pixels — exactly one-quarter the 1,920 x 1,080 pixels that you'll get through the copy-protected digital connectors on the players. The potentially huge problem with this strategy is that the only HD inputs on a lot of older HDTVs are component video. Estimates vary, but it's believed 3 to 6.6 million such displays are in U.S. households. And the sun will set on analog video for good after Dec. 31, 2013, when AACS-licensed players can't be made or sold with any analog video outputs, including the familiar yellow composite-video jack.

In addition to the "image constraint" issue, AACS has a few unresolved points, so the first players that are due to come out this spring won't have all the features promised by HD DVD and Blu-ray. For one thing, you won't be able to copy material from a disc to, say, your PC via the "managed copying" function. On the vaguely less depressing side, you should be able to upgrade hardware when these features get finalized — so all you'd have to do is get an upgrade disc or download the upgrade from the manufacturer. Looking for someone to blame for all this? Pick your target: AACS was jointly developed by Disney, IBM, Intel, Microsoft, Panasonic, Sony, Toshiba, and Warner.

http://www.nzbzone.com/content.php?sect=news&nid=252

Yoga
03-02-2006, 08:15 PM
Oh new similies :stars:

Snee
03-02-2006, 08:19 PM
If you're one of the first adopters who mortgaged the house to buy the earliest HDTV displays, don't expect to get full HD resolution when you take out a second mortgage for a high-def disc player when they come out later this year. Today the copy-protection rules for Blu-ray or HD DVD — the two formats competing to be the standard for HD discs — are being unveiled. Called Advanced Access Content System (AACS), the rules clearly show the major movie studios are determined to stymie potential piracy, but their efforts may short-change people with older HDTVs. AACS says the new players won't output a full-HD signal from their component-video connections, since those jacks are analog instead of digital and thus have no copy protection. The "down-rezzed" signals will be limited to a resolution of 960 x 540 pixels — exactly one-quarter the 1,920 x 1,080 pixels that you'll get through the copy-protected digital connectors on the players. The potentially huge problem with this strategy is that the only HD inputs on a lot of older HDTVs are component video. Estimates vary, but it's believed 3 to 6.6 million such displays are in U.S. households. And the sun will set on analog video for good after Dec. 31, 2013, when AACS-licensed players can't be made or sold with any analog video outputs, including the familiar yellow composite-video jack.

In addition to the "image constraint" issue, AACS has a few unresolved points, so the first players that are due to come out this spring won't have all the features promised by HD DVD and Blu-ray. For one thing, you won't be able to copy material from a disc to, say, your PC via the "managed copying" function. On the vaguely less depressing side, you should be able to upgrade hardware when these features get finalized — so all you'd have to do is get an upgrade disc or download the upgrade from the manufacturer. Looking for someone to blame for all this? Pick your target: AACS was jointly developed by Disney, IBM, Intel, Microsoft, Panasonic, Sony, Toshiba, and Warner.

http://www.nzbzone.com/content.php?sect=news&nid=252
Ghey, but not surprising.

enoughfakefiles
03-02-2006, 08:19 PM

They've been there all the time :unsure:

I see they've got HD channels now on sky plus. Do you have to pay extra for them.

JPaul
03-02-2006, 08:34 PM

I see they've got HD channels now on sky plus. Do you have to pay extra for them.
No mention on NTL just now but they said something about later in the year, I think.

SKY HDTV is here http://www.sky.com/hd

Gripper
03-02-2006, 08:35 PM
Still saving up for a colour tv :(

Busyman
03-02-2006, 08:36 PM

I pay an extra $5 for HD over here.

Also..http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showthread.php?p=1275496&highlight=BSkyB#post1275496

JPaul
03-02-2006, 08:36 PM
Cable plans HDTV launch in 2006

Tuesday, October 4 2005, 16:22 UTC - by Neil Wilkes and James Welsh
The merged NTL and Telewest company plans to rollout HDTV services towards the end of 2006 and into 2007, it was revealed today.

Speaking on an investor conference call, NTL CEO Simon Duffy, who will be president and CEO of the combined company, said that HDTV rollout will begin "probably in the back-end of next year."

"In terms of the offerings, it's a wonderful medium for sports and live events, but it's also a competitive advantage - over time - against satellite because in the end we have more capacity so we can do more channels on HDTV than they can," explained Duffy. "It's also a competitive advantage over DSL, just given the bandwidth differences."

Neil Smith, Telewest's deputy CFO, noted that Telewest's HDTV rollout plans were "slightly ahead" of those in place at NTL.

"The analogue switchoff we've previously announced will be complete by 2006, which will free up capacity for HDTV delivery," explained Smith. "I think the HDTV delivery plan is slightly ahead of NTL's but we probably will talk to make sure we're delivering a compatible service."

Compatibility will be key to ensuring a smooth operational integration between the disparate systems owned by NTL and Telewest. Long-time Digital Spy readers will recall the maze of confusion that existed in 2001 and 2002 after NTL acquired the operations of Cable and Wireless ConsumerCo, with different service tiers being offered on NTL's original network and those on the re-branded but still distinct "ex-CWC" system. Even today, the distinction persists, with different digital TV services being offered on each part of the network, necessitating discussion of "Langley" and "Bromley" (the towns where the super head-ends for NTL's original network and the ex-CWC network are located respectively) availability whenever a new service is announced. It remains to be seen how well the integration process goes this time around, and whether service parity will be reached by the combined company before any consumer-facing rebrand takes place.

Stay with Digital Spy for the latest developments as they happen and read what cable consumers make of it all on our cable forums.

NTL position http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds24956.html

Santa
03-02-2006, 08:38 PM
telebision is a laxative

enoughfakefiles
03-02-2006, 08:40 PM
telebision is a laxative

rly :unsure:

Santa
03-02-2006, 08:47 PM
srsly it is the prime cause of diaerreha - similar to eating 10 prunes - tubgirl is an after effect

Busyman
03-02-2006, 08:55 PM
Wow the thread title says "Don't buy an HDTV just yet"

yet HDTVs are not sold anymore (at least not here) with only analog inputs.

:stars:

They have DVI and HDMI inputs which are digital and utilize HDCP (high bandwidth digital content protection). A non-HDCP compliant device will not work with an HDCP compliant device.

Analog inputs don't have HDCP since it ain't digital so yes I do agree, early adopters are fucked....if they wanna use Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, or even HDCP compliant digital cable box for that matter.

Actually they can't even use most upconvert DVD players (to full potential) since most of them only send the upconverted signal through the DVI or HDMI outputs.

Either way, it's perfectly fine to buy an HDTV, now.:ermm:

The thread title is a good Lounge rod to spur this post but unfortunately the title is incorrect.

GepperRankins
03-02-2006, 08:57 PM
catchy title

100%
03-02-2006, 08:58 PM
is it ok if i don't buy one at all?:ermm:

JPaul
catchy title
:lol:

Indeed.

Busyman
Why sure wan hunnet pasent.:D

JPaul
03-02-2006, 09:00 PM
Yeah, the story is about new dvd players not working properly with older HDTV sets.

100%
03-02-2006, 09:01 PM
phew

now i can back to sewing my rug.

JPaul
03-02-2006, 09:03 PM
phew

now i can back to sewing my rug.
Is that a euphemism.

100%
03-02-2006, 09:10 PM
no, simpoly something that hopefully would distract you from realizing that i have now clue what a hdtv is.

JPaul
03-02-2006, 09:23 PM
Highly Defined TeleVision.

Busyman
03-02-2006, 09:27 PM
no, simpoly something that hopefully would distract you from realizing that i have now clue what a hdtv is.
Basically it's the sharpest TV picture being broadcast right now.

It started in Japan, the US then jumped on the bandwagon, and it's spreading further.

It will eventually totally supplant our NTSC signal and I guess the PAL signal as well.

Sounds like one digital standard for TV.

Terminator 2?

100%
03-02-2006, 09:34 PM
thanks for explantation but are not all new tv better than the next?
my question is,
Do commercials look better on hdtv? ( plus a surround sound blasting - a washing powder commercial etc)
if so
fuk dat shit

JPaul
03-02-2006, 09:37 PM
my question is,
Do commercials look better on hdtv? ( plus a surround sound blasting - a washing powder commercial etc)
if so
fuk dat shit
I saw one being demonstrated on the telly. It looked pretty much the same to me. I don't think it's worth buying it, but maybe it'll get better.

Busyman
03-02-2006, 09:45 PM
my question is,
if so
fuk dat shit
HDTV looks wayyyyy better than regular TV. It's wayyy better than DVD.

Funny enough the commercials are not in HD.:huh:

HeavyMetalParkingLot
03-02-2006, 10:04 PM
Why the hell would you be using sub par analog connectors on a HDTV in the first place? May as well take it back and buy a SDTV if you are going to do that.

BTW Busy, you know you can pull in over the air HD channels as well right? Here in Austin, we already have 6 channels broadcast over the air (just need a HD capable antennea) with a 7th soon starting. Looks like 8 are available in DC right now.

100%
03-02-2006, 10:10 PM
HDTV looks wayyyyy better than regular TV. It's wayyy better than DVD.

soon they will discover that our eyes see the world pixilated at an average of 1024X768 resolution and merelly 2,100 cerebral lumens.
To own a walking license we will be required to attach one of the below to our head for visual enhancement
(image is merely hypothetical example)

http://www.defence.gov.au/news/raafnews/editions/4706/images/common%20pages/beer-glass%20copy_th.jpg

HeavyMetalParkingLot
03-02-2006, 10:18 PM
http://www.defence.gov.au/news/raafnews/editions/4706/images/common%20pages/beer-glass%20copy_th.jpg

TV always looks better through a pair of these.

Busyman
03-02-2006, 10:30 PM
Why the hell would you be using sub par analog connectors on a HDTV in the first place? May as well take it back and buy a SDTV if you are going to do that.

BTW Busy, you know you can pull in over the air HD channels as well right? Here in Austin, we already have 6 channels broadcast over the air (just need a HD capable antennea) with a 7th soon starting. Looks like 8 are available in DC right now.
Yes I know. The NTSC will be totally supplanted by HDTV eventually.

However, I already pay for cable and have been for years. The over-the-air selection has been shit in comparison and HDTV won't really change that.

Regarding your first sentence, I don't know anyone with only analog connectors on a HDTV. I think those folk were like the ones who would spend $1800 for the new Blu-Ray players.

HDTVs are now the same price (and less) than SDTV were.

I got mine when I moved into my new house and don't have to pay for until 2007. I love deferred billing, no interest.:D

HDTV picture is so good that I'd even say it's like the jump from B&W to color. As I said, it even kicks DVDs in the arse.

I understand some of the new Blu-Ray/HD-DVD players will upconvert a DVD to near-HD quality. There are DVD players that do that now as well. I was going to buy one that did that and played Divx and so forth all in one (upconvert those downloads) but if you have the right mod on an Xbox, it'll do it all as well.

Hell I saved my Batman Begins DVD for that.

One thing is for sure. If you are going to buy a new TV, definitely get an HDTV. A friend of mine told me this years ago but then, it was cost-efffective.

Why pay the huge markup? I think the situation is almost similar to the flat-panel vs. CRT monitors. I remember not long ago when a 17" CRT ran $700. Now that'll get you a 24" widescreen flat-panel monitor.

The situation in the US is different anyway since our TV signal will be phased out soon so that Skynet, the Terminators, and the Anti-Christ can take over the hole wyde wuld.

Also HDTV is nice for the Superbowl party.

Oh and HMPL, do you have an HDTV?

DorisInsinuate
03-02-2006, 10:55 PM
I can't tell the difference in visual quality between a brand new VHS and a DVD, apart from the shinyness of the discs, very pretty.

HeavyMetalParkingLot
03-02-2006, 10:59 PM
I can't tell the difference in visual quality between a brand new VHS and a DVD, apart from the shinyness of the discs, very pretty.

Than it is time to buy a color tv.....

Proper Bo
03-02-2006, 11:00 PM
which is better, a color tv or a colour tv?:unsure:

HeavyMetalParkingLot
03-02-2006, 11:01 PM

A HDTV.

JPaul
03-02-2006, 11:02 PM

An HDTV.
That wasn't one of the choices.

Proper Bo
03-02-2006, 11:02 PM
he's foreign, it's not his fault he got confused.

HeavyMetalParkingLot
03-02-2006, 11:03 PM
An HDTV.
That wasn't one of the choices.

Sure it was, you are old, got tha bad eyes.

HeavyMetalParkingLot
03-02-2006, 11:03 PM
he's foreign, it's not his fault he got confused.

Hush, foreigner. :P

Busyman
03-02-2006, 11:11 PM
You've got horrible eyes or a shit TV.:P

Cheese
03-03-2006, 12:12 AM
Don't buy an HDTV just yet

I wasn't gonna, if all HDTV does is slightly improve picture quality then I can wait.

JPaul
03-03-2006, 12:17 AM

I wasn't gonna, if all HDTV does is slightly improve picture quality then I can wait.
Hoi, it's only about £1,000 ($27,000) to get a wee bit better picture on the telly.

That must be well worth it, unless of course you are so sad that you don't take watching your telly that seriously.

sArA
03-03-2006, 12:25 AM
Meh...give it a few years and everyone will have one....I remember the days before mobile phones....OMG I am soooo old...(or is that pissed and old...nice Chillean)

Cheese
03-03-2006, 12:30 AM
Meh...give it a few years and everyone will have one....

Apart from the sorts of people who have to ride the technology wave no matter what the expense. They'll be watching TV on their Trans-Dimensional Hyper-View CrystalVision Boxes* and sneering at the inferior viewing quality of us lamers with HD-TV.

*TD-HV-CV.

HeavyMetalParkingLot
03-03-2006, 12:31 AM
Meh...give it a few years and everyone will have one....

Apart from the sorts of people who have to ride the technology wave no matter what the expense. They'll be watching TV on their Trans-Dimensional Hyper-View CrystalVision Boxes and sneering at the inferior viewing quality of us lamers with HD-TV.

Bah, by then, boxes will be for the welfare recipients. The true videophiles will have implants....

Busyman
03-03-2006, 01:47 AM

It's a good thing that it's much more than a slight improvement.

I'd wait too if I wasn't in the market for a TV anyway.

Besides that, bratland doesn't sound like it has much HD programming anyway which is another reason to wait.

It's better to spend another $300 for the next graphics card with an incremental improvement of 10 points in the latest 3D benchmark.

Cheese
03-03-2006, 03:12 AM
I wasn't gonna, if all HDTV does is slightly improve picture quality then I can wait. Hoi, it's only about £1,000 ($27,000) to get a wee bit better picture on the telly.

That must be well worth it, unless of course you are so sad that you don't take watching your telly that seriously.
I hear that HDTV has magical-like powers, it can take a rubbish film like Braveheart and the HD turns it into an accurate historical documentary featuring superb portrayals of the characters by talented actors and some rampant yet tasteful lesbian scenes.

Cheese
03-03-2006, 03:20 AM
Apart from the sorts of people who have to ride the technology wave no matter what the expense. They'll be watching TV on their Trans-Dimensional Hyper-View CrystalVision Boxes and sneering at the inferior viewing quality of us lamers with HD-TV.
Bah, by then, boxes will be for the welfare recipients. The true videophiles will have implants....

I wrote out a really good reply to this post but my stupid laptop closed my browser. Anyhow, you'll have to imagine your own reply because I have forgotten what I wrote. I did use the word 'innovation' if that helps any.

twisterX
03-03-2006, 03:36 AM
well shall we start

Fuck Disney, Fuck IBM, Fuck Intel, Fuck Microsoft, Fuck Panasonic, Fuck Sony, Fuck Toshiba, and Fuck Warner.

Cant wait utill this shit is cracked.

Busyman
03-03-2006, 04:12 AM
well shall we start

Fuck Disney, Fuck IBM, Fuck Intel, Fuck Microsoft, Fuck Panasonic, Fuck Sony, Fuck Toshiba, and Fuck Warner.

...me too.

By that time I should actually be able to afford a Blu-Ray burner.:ermm:

I do love how people get pissed that companies want to copy protect their shit.:lol: :lol:

GepperRankins
03-03-2006, 04:21 AM
well shall we start

...me too.

By that time I should actually be able to afford a Blu-Ray burner.:ermm:

I do love how people get pissed that companies want to copy protect their shit.:lol: :lol:
it's not that. it's the fact that they fuck legit consumers around in the process

Barbarossa
03-03-2006, 10:52 AM

Same here. I'm with cheese.

I'm not withcheese. That's him. I'm with withcheese. :stars:

JPaul
03-03-2006, 07:37 PM
Hoi, it's only about £1,000 ($27,000) to get a wee bit better picture on the telly.

I hear that HDTV has magical-like powers, it can take a rubbish film like Braveheart and the HD turns it into an accurate historical documentary featuring superb portrayals of the characters by talented actors and some rampant yet tasteful lesbian scenes.
That's only if you've got the most recent upconverter firmware, with the lesboid add-on, apparentement.

Wolfmight
03-04-2006, 04:31 PM
mine has DVI input...good deal.

Gripper
03-04-2006, 07:01 PM
3D-TV>HDTV
Won't be long

Busyman
03-04-2006, 07:05 PM
3D-TV>HDTV
Won't be long
Right lens, blue. Left lens, red.

JPaul
03-04-2006, 07:22 PM
3D-TV>HDTV
Won't be long
http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/review.php?reviewId=594

Gripper
03-04-2006, 07:31 PM
3D-TV>HDTV
Won't be long
Noice:w00t:

JPaul
03-04-2006, 07:35 PM
Noice:w00t:
I know it's not 3D or owt, but how feckin' kewl is that.

Gripper
03-04-2006, 07:37 PM
£25,000,better start saving me pennies

JPaul
03-04-2006, 07:39 PM
Indeed, who needs things like a house when you can have a telly like that.

That's it, sell your house and buy that telly.

Gripper
03-04-2006, 07:42 PM

Council may be a wee bit miffed aboot that.:D

JPaul
03-04-2006, 07:45 PM

Council may be a wee bit miffed aboot that.:D
Have you no spunk man, cash sale. It'll be ages before they find out.

Biggles
03-04-2006, 09:23 PM
No plans to buy such a thing yet. My current TV is only 8 years old - hardly broken in yet.

The £300 rule will apply before long. That is, no matter what the innovation and how much they cost initially they will drop to £300 for the good makes and less for the unknown Taiwanese version sold in Tesco. Then is the time to buy :)

Hopefully by then they will have decided which version to go with and all the hardware glitches will be resolved.

Of course if there was much worth watching I might have a different point of view.

JPaul
03-04-2006, 10:25 PM
No plans to buy such a thing yet. My current TV is only 8 years old - hardly broken in yet.

The £300 rule will apply before long. That is, no matter what the innovation and how much they cost initially they will drop to £300 for the good makes and less for the unknown Taiwanese version sold in Tesco. Then is the time to buy :)

Hopefully by then they will have decided which version to go with and all the hardware glitches will be resolved.

Of course if there was much worth watching I might have a different point of view.
I'm with you, only not quite so parsimonious.

Early adopters are tits. However we need them, to fund the R&D which leads to the well made, reasonably priced goods we end up with.

Biggles
03-04-2006, 10:27 PM

I'm with you, only not quite so parsimonious.

Early adopters are tits. However we need them, to fund the R&D which leads to the well made, reasonably priced goods we end up with.

Absolutely, err, isn't that what the English are for? :whistling