PDA

View Full Version : The best American state(s)?

SeK612
03-03-2006, 11:36 AM
Out of curiosity I was wondering which people considered to be the best state or states in America (in terms of say living conditions, environment, people, weather etc)?

Does this differ when you're just visiting or looking to live in a place (e.g. say LA would be nice to visit but may not be the best place to live all the time).

Also is there a massive climate change between the East and West coasts of the states. Would you get a more temperate British climate to the East (compared to the all year round sun that seems to be common when talking about the West). Does the climate change dramatically the further North you head and are their chance of significant snowfall as far south as South Carolina and its surrounding states in the East?

manker
03-03-2006, 11:44 AM
Iraq.

Not the best holiday destination at the mo but the sheer history of the area and the ancient architecture which still exists and that which lies undiscovered makes it an intruiging place.

It also has a lot of oil.

hobbes
03-03-2006, 02:17 PM
Out of curiosity I was wondering which people considered to be the best state or states in America (in terms of say living conditions, environment, people, weather etc)?

Does this differ when you're just visiting or looking to live in a place (e.g. say LA would be nice to visit but may not be the best place to live all the time).

Also is there a massive climate change between the East and West coasts of the states. Would you get a more temperate British climate to the East (compared to the all year round sun that seems to be common when talking about the West). Does the climate change dramatically the further North you head and are their chance of significant snowfall as far south as South Carolina and its surrounding states in the East?

The most comparable climate we have the UK is in the Northwest. It's temperatures are moderated by the ocean. For it's latitude it never gets nearly as hot or cold as the Midwest or the East Coast cities , such as NewYork.

It is foggy there and rains most everyday. Seattle, Washington (Not DC, but Washington State) would be the major city.

The US is too big to go into all the regional climates and such. If you can tell us what your living/climate preferences would be, we can give you a more tailored answered.

Where I live in San Antonio, it rarely rains :( , but I was thonging :ermm: out at the swimming pool yesterday as the temperature approached 90F:P

Busyman
03-03-2006, 02:35 PM

Where I live in the DC area, it gets extremely hot in the summer and moderately cold in the winter and we can get bad bouts of snow but it's not often.

I think we've got down to the late teens this winter. The snow that we've had melted away in about 3 days.

I like Florida sans the hurricanes.

I don't know what to tell ya regarding the people. There are good and bad everywhere. I did hear many tourists are killed in Miami though.

If you like a change in climate throughout the year and a perfect blend of innercity/suburb life suburban Maryland is quite noice.

It's part of the Washington Metropolitan Area which consists of Washington DC, Northern Virginia, and Montgomery and Prince George's Counties of Maryland. It's about 30 miles from Baltimore (I think Microsoul V lives there), another large Metroploitan area.

There is a decent subway system that reaches all those areas. We have 3 major airports, Reagan National in VA (right next to DC) and Dulles Int'l in VA, plus BWI in Baltimore.

The concentrated hood areas are mostly in SE and NE DC and southern PG County, MD (that borders SE DC).
I grew up in SE DC and PG County, MD.:ermm:

There is more than adequate nightlife and shit to do. The best living is in areas of Maryland where you are not too far from the action of the city like Northern PG County.
Northern Virginia (NORVA) is too congested and so are many parts of Montgomery County.

As far as visiting, this is not a "resort" area. Tourist come to DC to visit the vast museums, the White House, and so forth. We have NHL Hockey and NBA and college basketball at the Verizon Center in DC and NFL football out in Northern PG County, MD.

It's funny that we live here but sometimes forget we have a theme park in our back yard. Six Flags America is about 15 minutes away from me and I almost never go there. You'd think I have a season pass or something.

hamm
03-03-2006, 03:16 PM
Hawaii!! FTW http://www.kolobok.wrg.ru/smiles/light_skin/bb.gif

Tempestv
03-03-2006, 03:20 PM
here in Montana, the temps will hit 100 degrees F easy in the summer. in winter, most of the time it is fairly moderate- 0-32 degrees F, although every year there are a couple weeks where it gets down to -20 to -30 degrees F. Wages here are dog piss, but we still got people moving in all the time, so something must be right. maybe the same reason the state is called bigsky country
things are cheaper here too though, so we get a lot of people that move here from California and such because the money they made in california is worth a hell of a lot more here.

hamm
03-03-2006, 04:33 PM
Montana's beautiful country, but I didn't know your summers got so warm.

Down here, it common to have 90° temeperatures for weeks on end but it's so damned humid that your clothes cling to you like Saran Wrap® the moment you walk out the door. http://www.kolobok.wrg.ru/smiles/light_skin/heat.gif

Tempestv
03-03-2006, 05:50 PM
ya, real dry here. don't think I could stand the temps if it was humid. already bad enough working out in that. it always seems to be the hottest day of the summer just when the haybales have to be picked up too.

maebach
03-03-2006, 08:50 PM
I've been to:

Pennsylvannia
New Jersey
New York
Virginia
Florida
Georgia
Alabama

and a bunch of others on the way to those places.

my favourites were:

Georgiqa
Alabama
Pennsylvannia.

Virtualbody1234
03-03-2006, 09:23 PM
Alaska?

SeK612
03-03-2006, 09:49 PM
Thanks for the replies :)

At the moment I'd say I'm more interested in the East of the country. Michigan looked nice, but the super bowl was there and some of the stuff said about Detroit wasn't great.

New Hampshire looks cool too, close to Canada so cold winters and the summers don't look too bad.

The latest interesting state would be North Carolina so it'd be nice to hear from anyone who's visited or live there. Is it far enough South to pick up the southern U.S accent? Would you get snow there in the Winter (as you do further north in places like New York)? Also is the coast similar to that on the West (sand beaches to go along with warm summers)?

Also what are the central states like (Utah, Dakota. Idaho etc). Are they flat like they're stereotyped to be (with loads of corn based farming)? Does it snow in these states in winter?

j2k4
03-03-2006, 10:41 PM
At the moment I'd say I'm more interested in the East of the country. Michigan looked nice, but the super bowl was there and some of the stuff said about Detroit wasn't great.

Michigan is nice, as long as you don't go near Detroit.

Having three huge lakes (I don't count Lake Erie) gives lots of options.

We have real change of season here, not that fake shit they have elsewhere.

I live in the Upper Peninsula, which suits me, although it can get a bit harsh.

We have 100-degree summer days here and there, and, although I don't ski or snowmobile anymore, I wouldn't miss winter for anything; it can be positively awesome. :)

Busyman
03-03-2006, 11:31 PM

New Hampshire looks cool too, close to Canada so cold winters and the summers don't look too bad.

The latest interesting state would be North Carolina so it'd be nice to hear from anyone who's visited or live there. Is it far enough South to pick up the southern U.S accent? Would you get snow there in the Winter (as you do further north in places like New York)? Also is the coast similar to that on the West (sand beaches to go along with warm summers)?

Also what are the central states like (Utah, Dakota. Idaho etc). Are they flat like they're stereotyped to be (with loads of corn based farming)? Does it snow in these states in winter?

South Carolina..Myrtle Beach...southern accents...lovely.

Tempestv
03-04-2006, 12:54 AM

North Carolina is pretty nice and yes they do get snow. never been there when It was snowing, but my grandma used to live near Boone NC until she moved out to MT, and I know she told about some times with a lot of snow.
the south is deffinitly present there, so don't wory about that.

Dakota is actually two states- north and south, and both are almost all flatland. the flatland extends into eastern montana, almost west to Bozeman, where the mountains start. Western Montana is a lot of mountain ranges. Idaho, being off the west side of Montana also has a large collection of mountains. Crop wise, Nebraska, Kansas and a lot of the Dakotas are corn country. also, seeing as corn is used to finish beef before slaughter, this where you see the slaughter houses. it is cheaper to ship the cattle to the corn than to ship the corn to the cattle. as you get closer to Montana, wheat gets real big. eastern montana is a lot of wheat country. expect to see $200,000 tractors with gps guidence, internet uplink, and a built in tv out in these areas. This is because it gets very boring driving 30 miles at ten miles an hour in a perfectly straight line. The farther west you go, the less and less flat land you find, and wheat farming becomes difficult due to the terrain, so cattle ranching takes over. western montana is mostly cattle. the cattle grow too two years in montana before being sold, and trucked out to the slaughter houses to the east. Idaho is known for their potatos of course, a market that they shamelessly market as big, despite the fact that washinton has a considerably larger potato crop. It has gotta say somthing about the state when their claim to faim is that they can grow potatos.

ziggyjuarez
03-04-2006, 01:21 AM
California:01:
Were the richest biggest and we got beaches.
Los Angeles,San Diego,Oakland,San Francisco,Fresno ect.
gangsta rap also started here.

Tempestv
03-04-2006, 01:28 AM
biggest
Sorry, no, you are ahead of us by 20000 Sq miles, but you are not the largest state by any means.

ziggyjuarez
03-04-2006, 01:44 AM
biggest coolness mang
but if your talking about size then were the 3rd biggest:
http://www.enchantedlearning.com/usa/states/area.shtml

hamm
03-04-2006, 04:28 AM
:rolleyes: Screw dat!

If your looking at the west coast, my vote would go to Oregon. - Gorgeous!

West, but not coastal? - Arizona baby. :cool2:

MagicNakor
03-04-2006, 04:56 AM
Idaho is dreadfully dull.

:shuriken:

ziggyjuarez
03-04-2006, 05:32 AM
Its California or new york.
Every where else is not as populated or wealthy.no way in hell is any middle state better then CA.

Tempestv
03-04-2006, 05:38 AM
Every where else is not as populated or wealthy.no way in hell is any middle state better then CA.

That is why I will stay the hell away

tantric
03-04-2006, 06:04 AM
Every where else is not as populated or wealthy
Ah yes, California.

Jam packed with fools that have more money than brains.

Busyman
03-04-2006, 06:19 AM
I thought the cost of living was high here until I saw a small little shit home on DIY selling for $600,000.

In North Carolina that'll get you a mansion with huge acreage. Fact.

ziggyjuarez
03-04-2006, 06:21 AM

haha.Well your welcome to come any time.
...so how do you find time in your day to post here when you should be busy growing our food Montana?

Tempestv
03-04-2006, 08:34 AM
haha.Well your welcome to come any time.
...so how do you find time in your day to post here when you should be busy growing our food Montana?

areas like that are nice to visit, they remind you how nice it is without all the people. My family sells 3-4 cattle/year- our contribution to the national beef market. mostly we just have the cattle to grow our own meat. the stuff we sell is gravy. my college tuition this semester was paid by selling a couple steers.

ziggyjuarez
03-04-2006, 09:49 PM
Yeah they are fun to pass by but it would get boreing fast.
I hate people just as much as the next guy but places like here in california is just better living then the middle states.

GepperRankins
03-04-2006, 09:55 PM
ziggy lives in california too, so like, it wins

ziggyjuarez
03-04-2006, 11:36 PM
yeah.

~Rev Jim Jones
03-20-2006, 01:19 AM
http://www.gunco.net/gallery/data/500/1311.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-12/1125009/357-sexytshirt(Large).jpg

brotherdoobie
03-20-2006, 06:49 AM
Denial...

Peace bd

SaYiaN
03-20-2006, 02:23 PM
*prepares for his long journey to FSU.

wademalorgan
03-21-2006, 02:12 AM
Northwest for sure! I love rain.

wademalorgan

j2k4
03-21-2006, 02:20 AM
Northwest for sure! I love rain.

wademalorgan

Better love it a whole lot, at that.

j2k4
03-21-2006, 09:08 PM

Bump.

Two of them, actually.

Tempestv
03-21-2006, 11:40 PM
http://www.gunco.net/gallery/data/500/1311.jpg

gotta admit, there is a cirtian advantage to the warmer states...

S!X
03-22-2006, 02:13 AM
Florida.

tantric
03-22-2006, 06:37 AM
Northwest for sure!
I seem to be having difficulty locating that state in my Rand McNally.

Tempestv
03-24-2006, 03:49 AM
there are certain advantages to the western states...
http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/4468/emcowgirl9it.th.jpg (http://img223.imageshack.us/my.php?image=emcowgirl9it.jpg)
http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/6269/shannonwalker20058gk.th.jpg (http://img223.imageshack.us/my.php?image=shannonwalker20058gk.jpg)

peat moss
03-25-2006, 08:38 PM
Any where on the "wet" coast is beautiful , be it Washington , Oregon or California . Mind you Hawaii is pretty nice too . Seems a little more laid back with friendly people .

Ah now I understand the reasoning behind your post : :P

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2100776,00.html

WannaPlay
03-26-2006, 07:38 PM
I would have to say Hawaii or Connecticut as the best states from my experience... the people seem to be awesome.. both beautiful places although there are many in the US.. kinda liked Colorado as well. although i live in london, i'm afraid i didn't enjoy the big cities such as new york. All about money... Lots to do, just didn't like the people... and the "american attitude" that they have. I was quite shocked by the american ladies not very attractive at ALL (obviously there were some that were very attractive, but very few and far between) talked to some europeans that were there and they totally agreed, although LA is the big exception...

Busyman
03-26-2006, 11:57 PM
I would have to say Hawaii or Connecticut as the best states from my experience... the people seem to be awesome.. both beautiful places although there are many in the US.. kinda liked Colorado as well. although i live in london, i'm afraid i didn't enjoy the big cities such as new york. All about money... Lots to do, just didn't like the people... and the "american attitude" that they have. I was quite shocked by the american ladies not very attractive at ALL (obviously there were some that were very attractive, but very few and far between) talked to some europeans that were there and they totally agreed, although LA is the big exception...
Yeah New York is not the best place to find "great attitude". :lol: :lol:

What's an American attitude?

I never heard anyone say Connecticut was a great place to visit before. Interesting.
----------------
There is a huge difference between the "best American state" to visit and "best American state" to live in.

I'm sure tourists have visited more of DC's museums and historical attractions than I have. My second time to the Washington Mounument (dumb name) was because I was fixing some data lines there.:huh:

I wouldn't move to Florida because of their hurricane problems. I don't wanna rebuild my house every 5 years or so.:( It is an excellent place to visit, however.

zedaxax
03-28-2006, 09:53 PM
as a tourist i would obviously be lured to the stereotypes of america
as an american i would obviously be lured to the stereotypes of america

lee551
04-03-2006, 08:51 PM
anyone wanna come kick it with me in the great plains?

we're uh, hmm.... yeah, i dont have anything cool to say about it. if you want to escape everything else you can come here i guess. :lol:

edit: i wouldn't mind living in colorado, washington state, or minnesota (twin cities area).