PDA

View Full Version : Winrar password encryption

weasrock
03-07-2006, 06:05 PM
does anyone know how to overcome this when you DL a winrar archive with a password encryption. ex. college hoops 2k6 for ps2.

Why would someone do that, encrypt it with a password, share it and not tell anyone what the password is

Just looking for advice

Buffalo
03-07-2006, 07:44 PM
weasrock,
Try going back to the site you acquired the torrent file from,
read the comments for that particular file

4play
03-07-2006, 08:04 PM
normally the password is in the nfo or its a url in the filename.

weasrock
03-07-2006, 08:46 PM
what program do you use to open nfo files?

Virtualbody1234
03-07-2006, 08:50 PM
Notepad or Getdiz (http://www.outertech.com/index.php?_charisma_page=product&id=4)

Mïcrösöül°V³
03-07-2006, 11:25 PM
you can google "damn NFO viewer"

Appzalien
03-09-2006, 05:38 AM
Note pad work just fine, you just have to tell windows to use it. For some reason windows thinks its a system information file and tries using that. Right click the nfo and choose "open with" then "choose program" and point to note pad and from that point on all nfo files will open with note pad.

There is a freeware zip program called Zip Central, I it use because it allows me to look into zip files without extracting them. From within the viewer you can also choose view file to see nfo's and other files without having to extract them. Then I can drag and drop only what files I want from the zipped archive and leave the id diz, nfo's, url's and other useless stuff inside. If there is anything worth while in an nfo I can copy it and paste it into note pad without ever extracting it from the archive.

Beck38
03-10-2006, 03:18 AM
does anyone know how to overcome this when you DL a winrar archive with a password encryption. ex. college hoops 2k6 for ps2.

Why would someone do that, encrypt it with a password, share it and not tell anyone what the password is

Just looking for advice

One particular thing of note, use the nzb posted WITH the archive, not one 'generated' by the various vacuum's out there (newzbin, ect.); the file with the pw may be included (with a different filename/newsgroup) either in that nzb, or embedded within the nzb itself.

Yes, it means a hoop to jump through, but it keeps automated systems (run by...) from collecting posting data.

weasrock
03-10-2006, 02:17 PM
Problem is, all the files are in a folder that is unable to be extracted unless a password is given(it was a bT dl). cause I tried to just open the nzb and its still asking for pw.

OxygenAtpm
03-28-2006, 02:14 PM
I have tried various programs however they seem to take ages to crack a pasword, maybe im just a noob!

Damnatory
03-30-2006, 04:46 AM
There really is no need for brute force programs with torrents. They are normally as suggested, in the nfo file, or the URL of the site you got the torrent from.

I second the suggestion for DamnNFO viewer.

More often than not, the password will be stated in the comments on the page you obtain a torrent from.