PDA

View Full Version : May be time to stop using uTorrent?

Wizard_Mon1
03-08-2006, 12:18 PM
According to a statement by PeerFactor, the lead developer of µTorrent, Ludvig Strigeus, has agreed to help develop “new content distribution applications on the Web”.

The developer has signed a contract with PeerFactor for an initial six month evaluation period.

Since the public release of uTorrent in September, the client has risen to the number one spot on Slyck’s list of BitTorrent clients for Windows, as voted by users. This is mostly due to the tiny memory usage, which is around 6MB, compared to second most popular, Azureus, which is typically over 70MB. Yet uTorrent remains feature-rich.

By developing the PeerFactor software, which uses the BitTorrent protocol, Strigeus will be entitled to a share of any advertising revenue generated by the final product.

This move into the authorised distribution market is a step away from anti-P2P technology for PeerFactor, which was a subsidiary of French anti-piracy group RetSpan. The two companies became independent companies six months ago.

Full info here.
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/t113031.html

Skiz
03-08-2006, 12:22 PM
I've never even used uTorrent. I always just use BitComet. Is there really that much of a difference?

Wizard_Mon1
03-08-2006, 12:28 PM
I've never even used uTorrent. I always just use BitComet. Is there really that much of a difference?

Bitcomet is banned on alot of private trackers, i never tried it myself used azurues for a long time and abc before that. uTorrent is light and doesn't use up to much ram and i find the speeds are slightly higher than in azurues... I have both installed so i think i will wait a bit before choosing between them.

If the generally community think this is a problem uTorrent may start getting banned on PT's also so i guess we just wait and see :)

Sneakydave
03-08-2006, 05:54 PM
I did use utorrent for a while but it seemed to miss some seeds that azureus picked up fine even tho it was run only a few seconds later than when i closed utorrent.

couldnt figure out how to only download part of a torrent which is what made me stop using it in the end and go back to azureus.

I dont really see why utorrent making money by helping PeerFactor is a problem, they are just a company out to make money afterall. Who knows maybe the extra money will be put towards making utorrent and even better program :)

cpklas
03-08-2006, 06:27 PM
uTorrents works just fine for me and an will keep on using it. It lacks som features that azureus have, but i can live without them.

LaMaOne
03-08-2006, 06:29 PM
No!

Before we contribute further to this big conspiracy theory, read the notice posted at the official uTorrent site.

http://utorrent.com/#notice

I can't believe all the negative comments.
uTorrent itself is in no way affiliated with any anti-piracy organisation.
Such BS.

Wizard_Mon1
03-08-2006, 06:55 PM
chill dude i never said we 'should' stop using it, i am still using it right now. it's just good to know all the facts ;)

SpArKy044
03-08-2006, 06:57 PM
I've been using uTorrent for a couple of months because Azureus was totally bogging down my system. Looks like they have a brand new version too.

thefallout
03-08-2006, 09:17 PM
I like uTorrent alot better than azureus, I used Azureus not very long because of the ridiculous amount of memory usage. But I like uTorrent alot. And the update is pretty good aswell.

twisterX
03-09-2006, 04:09 AM
utorrent is de best

OhMyGod
03-09-2006, 04:52 AM
I can't belive all of this misunderstanding about uTorrent, I read what was posted on the uTorrent website that explains everything. uTorrent is simply the best BitTorrent application. Azureus just uses too much resources and slows down my computer, however I do like the built in browser in BitComet.
BitComet used to be my choice, but now uTorrent rules!

ThankYou.:)

j0hn
03-10-2006, 02:40 AM
agreed. µtorrent is by far the best bt client i've used. the author has signed a contract with a company who were in the past associated with anti-p2p. but the contract he has signed has NOTHING to do with anti-p2p in any way. its to do with making some sort of legitimate torrent program or something, i dunno. since making this deal, hes released a new version of µtorrent, which has encryption added to stop isp throttling. if he was going down the anti-p2p road, why would he do this?

long live µtorrent, best bt client by a mile.

darkforce
03-10-2006, 08:20 AM
uTorrent rocks, it is still Luddvigs main project but the guy does need to earn some money so if he can then he should be able to.

As someone said before if something does change then private sites will ban the client and users will have to change client, hopefully that wont happen!

NoRemoteNoTV
03-14-2006, 06:36 AM
nobody like bit tornado or anything? I like a simple little download and upload prog the only time it gets cluttered is when you have multiple downloads goin at once and whenever that happens it crashes my internet connection so I think bit tornado is a pretty nice proggy for BT

delimare
03-20-2006, 04:11 AM
utorrent is de best

Tou'che. Takes 0 to no resources on my machine and has never failed my downloading needs. uTorrent 1.5 all the way baby.