PDA

View Full Version : In The Interest Of Fairness

JPaul
03-12-2006, 11:15 AM
I have been instructed not to start sport related threads in The Lounge.

Can you please post sports related topics in the Sports Club and not in the Lounge.

thnx

A pleasent and polite instruction. To which I replied

OK, but I won't bother starting new sports threads if that's the case.

I post in Sports Club when I want a more serious discussion and in the Lounge when I just want a sports related laugh. That way it keeps a lot of possible pish out of Sports Club and people can have a good laugh in The Lounge, the threads proved popular sometimes.

I see it as being the same as keeping serious stuff in the Drawing Room and spam in the Lounge. I think you're wrong but what the hey, it's your forum. So your rules, sorry if I've caused any offence.

I think you will agree that this is a perfectly amicable exchange, with no animosity between myself and the un-named board member.

However I must note that the description of the Lounge, enforced by the board members here is

Don't be fooled by cheap imitations, this is the original Off-Topic forum. Come on in and talk about absolutely anything (within our board rules).

Given that we can talk about "anything" save that it does not break a rule and that I cannot see how discussing sports in a jokey manner breaks the rules, I am a loss to understand this instruction.

I will abide by what I have been told, however in the interests of fairness I must insist that the following things are also precluded from the Lounge;

Filesharing (in all it's forms)
Movies
Television
Music
Books
Comics
Hardware
Software
World Affairs
Jokes
The Internet
Programming
Games

I know this seems harsh, but I'm sure you'll agree it is only fair. Otherwise it would appear that I am being singled out for special treatment and I am absolutely certain that is not the case.

Thanks.

manker
03-12-2006, 11:39 AM
There's just no arguing with that.

Cap, doffed.

Cheese
03-12-2006, 12:31 PM
I agree. A lot more movie/tv-show threads than sports threads are started in the Lounge, it seems odd that no-one remarks on these.

Are the moderators getting bored lately? It seems so with some pettiness starting to creep in as of late. Leave the Lounge be, it's fine as it is.

peat moss
03-12-2006, 02:47 PM
It is kind of a fine line I'v seen Sports threads moved to the lounge because of jockularity . Just leave it the way it is thats what makes the lounge great .

Love your new Sig. kind of says it all.

twisterX
03-12-2006, 04:08 PM
yes i agree but i wouldnt want all that stuff being removed.

Virtualbody1234
03-12-2006, 04:45 PM
It seems that JPaul is saying that a lot of subjects are in the lounge that belong in other sections of the board.

Is he really suggesting that they all should go where they belong and the lounge be closed for lack of content? This whole thread must be meant as british humour again and meant to throw us off.

JPaul
03-12-2006, 05:22 PM
It seems that JPaul is saying that a lot of subjects are in the lounge that belong in other sections of the board.

Is he really suggesting that they all should go where they belong and the lounge be closed for lack of content? This whole thread must be meant as british humour again and meant to throw us off.
No it's a serious point, which is why I put it here.

What I'm saying, as well you know, is that it is ridiculous to treat sport differently to anything else. If the Lounge is for "anything" as it's description states, then it is for anything.

If the argument is that things which have their own sections should not go in the Lounge, then all of the things I listed should go in their own sections.

But we don't want those sections spammed, so we have the Lounge.

Virtualbody1234
03-12-2006, 06:07 PM
Hmmm... Then it's the "In the interest of fairness" that I don't get. Turning the table, where is the fairness in the lounge for everyone else to participate?

Those obscure repeated threads on UK sports statistics exclude most uninitiated. We don't see threads about the other subjects you mentioned above so obscure as to exclude people not closely involved with the subject. Your targeted threads are specific and specialized enough to not belong in the lounge.

You bring up the topic of fairness in the lounge. At times, you seem to forget about fairness, respect and courtesy. The lounge is not an exclusive area for any select crowd. That's why sports and british humour have a place to a small extent but beyond that becomes inappropriate.

That is in the interest of fairness.

Snee
03-12-2006, 06:29 PM
Are you now saying, that we can't post stuff the majority isn't interested in or doesn't understand?

fkdup74
03-12-2006, 07:14 PM
I understand (and agree with) JP's point, and I'm not British....:blink:
(don't see where nationality comes into play here, but oh well,
perhaps it's because I'm not so narrow-minded as to give a damn about nationality)

if you exclude one, exclude them all, only fair

side note:
you could have saved yourself some typing JP,
and just made your exclusion list "*"

JPaul
03-12-2006, 08:55 PM
Hmmm... Then it's the "In the interest of fairness" that I don't get. Turning the table, where is the fairness in the lounge for everyone else to participate?

Those obscure repeated threads on UK sports statistics exclude most uninitiated. We don't see threads about the other subjects you mentioned above so obscure as to exclude people not closely involved with the subject. Your targeted threads are specific and specialized enough to not belong in the lounge.

You bring up the topic of fairness in the lounge. At times, you seem to forget about fairness, respect and courtesy. The lounge is not an exclusive area for any select crowd. That's why sports and british humour have a place to a small extent but beyond that becomes inappropriate.

That is in the interest of fairness.

If your not interested in a jokey thread about a british sport, then don't participate in it. I'm not trying to exclude anyone. Join in if you want, the more the merrier. Don't join in if you don't want. I just want to have a laugh, with mates, about a common interest. It really isn't a problem for anyone else, if you don't want to be part of it, cool

I don't participate in threads about loads of things, but I'm not so petty as to try stopping other people joking about whatever they want. To each their own.

If you want to start another thread about how people interact in the Lounge, please feel free to do so. sArA already made one, but you might want a serious one here, as the Lounge is just for a laugh.

This thread is about the type of topics which are allowed in the Lounge. Not about whether people get on or not. So I would appreciate it if you stopped spamming it. I wouldn't want to be a saddo and have to report you for doing something that I didn't approve of.

peat moss
03-12-2006, 09:23 PM
In the interest of fairness ... Hmm I have a crazy Idea why not make a forum mod out of one of the lounge members ? I see we have them for all the other forums and they seem to do well .

Mabye I'm talking out of my hat but that seems fair , not just bogus power but full tools to let him or her moderate the lounge . Just a thought as I'm sure there wont be many takers . Or at least the tools to sit in with the group sessions .

Or as my granny used to say " If you can't beat them join them " :)

Cheese
03-12-2006, 09:37 PM
In the interest of fairness ... Hmm I have a crazy Idea why not make a forum mod out of one of the lounge members ? I see we have them for all the other forums and they seem to do well .

Mabye I'm talking out of my hat but that seems fair , not just bogus power but full tools to let him or her moderate the lounge . Just a thought as I'm sure there wont be many takers . Or at least the tools to sit in with the group sessions .

Or as my granny used to say " If you can't beat them join them " :)
We don't really need any moderators for the Lounge, defiently not a Lounge-specific Mod. Moderators are really just glorified caretakers anyhow, they tidy up any mess made in the other forums. Moving misplaced threads, removing spam and sometimes becoming like dinner-ladies to resolves disputes.

The Lounge is like the room they doesn't need to be tidied up, where the kids are allowed to roam free. The only time we need a caretaker (or dinner-lady) in there is if someone does something extreme like tries to burn the place down or there's some roadkill to be scraped off the floor.

JPaul
03-12-2006, 09:45 PM
I agree we don't need mods in the Lounge, unless it gets a wee bit mental. However nowadays a quick word from a decent spud (mostly sArA) sorts that out.

Bottom line is, we can talk about anything we want, so long as it doesn't break any rule. Or at least that's what it says, but apparently we can't now. Well I can't.

peat moss
03-12-2006, 10:02 PM
Was just a thought, my own by the way but the lounge is the biggest forum here in our little world . Must have grabbed a few new members you think ?

If this forum is a community hence the Lounge, who is anyone to break it up ?
I personaly like it the way it is but have felt the slings and insults first hand , I got over it tho when I realiszed it was a bunch of buddies having fun .

Whats wrong with that .. half the time I read the joke or rod wrong anyway but not all do .

twisterX
03-12-2006, 10:16 PM
sooo no solutions yet. :dabs:

manker
03-12-2006, 11:05 PM

That is in the interest of fairness.I do believe that you think the first post was a proposition.

It wasn't, it was a demonstration of how ridiculous it is to say that JPaul can't post jokey sports threads in the lounge.

You say about being specific and implying exclusion of others but surely, that is the nature of almost all lounge threads. Off the top of my head, I made a thread on chavs in my pub - immediately 80% of the forum is excluded because they don't know what a chav and/or a pub is. Busy made a thread about the spring weather in DC. Same deal.

I honestly think that JPaul has been victimised because of the way he's responded to comments made in the lounge sport threads.

Now, I'm absolutely sure that he won't give a flying feck and may find it funny but that's what's happened. This thread has demonstated that there is no way, at all, that this proposition (of jokey sport threads not being allowed in the longe) can be justified.

No way at all.

JPaul
03-12-2006, 11:17 PM
It's actually more important than that.

To censor freedom of expression is poor. Tho' in some instances justifiable (IMO).

For those in power to do it when someone is actually playing by the rules and doing what they want is really shabby.

To do it to some people and not to others is nothing short of apartheid.

Rat Faced
03-13-2006, 12:06 AM
The door on the lounge says: Talk about anything.

As far as im concerned, you can talk about anything in there....just dont expect it to stay on Topic for more than 5 posts, and dont complain if it doesnt.

If the lounge terms have changed, i know nothing about it... and i'd expect the sign on the door to be changed before anyone enforces anything.

Disclaimer: If i see something i think may be of interest if talked about seriously, then i may move it....

...but there again, if the poster really wants it in the lounge to laugh at, i can copy it to wherever just as easily.

sArA
03-13-2006, 12:16 AM

As far as im concerned, you can talk about anything in there....just dont expect it to stay on Topic for more than 5 posts, and dont complain if it doesnt.

If the lounge terms have changed, i know nothing about it... and i'd expect the sign on the door to be changed before anyone enforces anything.

Disclaimer: If i see something i think may be of interest if talked about seriously, then i may move it....

...but there again, if the poster really wants it in the lounge to laugh at, i can copy it to wherever just as easily.

My feelings are pretty much the same here...

Btw....I don't know why, but every time I look at this thread's title, I see In the Interest of Fairies :blink:

manker
03-13-2006, 12:22 AM

To censor freedom of expression is poor. Tho' in some instances justifiable (IMO).

For those in power to do it when someone is actually playing by the rules and doing what they want is really shabby.

To do it to some people and not to others is nothing short of apartheid.Sorry, JP. I didn't mean that you wouldn't give a feck about the principle of it, I meant about some misguided geptard victimising you.

Poorly worded, I know.

manker
03-13-2006, 12:23 AM
Btw....I don't know why, but every time I look at this thread's title, I see In the Interest of Fairies Homophobe.

sArA
03-13-2006, 12:26 AM
Btw....I don't know why, but every time I look at this thread's title, I see In the Interest of Fairies Homophobe.

Is she one of Thumbelina's mates?

JPaul
03-13-2006, 12:28 AM
sArA, RF,

Thanks guys, very much appreciated.

lynx
03-13-2006, 12:31 AM
I actually thought the idea was to ask JP to stop being such an arse.

Obviously whoever sent him the PM decided it was better to ask him to do something he was actually capable of.

JPaul
03-13-2006, 12:37 AM

To do it to some people and not to others is nothing short of apartheid.Sorry, JP. I didn't mean that you wouldn't give a feck about the principle of it, I meant about some misguided geptard victimising you.

Poorly worded, I know.

No, your point was correct and well made. I really don't mind someone trying to limit my own personal freedoms here. I can deal with that.

However victimizing freedom of expression, as a general concept, is alien to what we believe here.

Or am I wrong in that.

manker
03-13-2006, 12:37 AM

Obviously whoever sent him the PM decided it was better to ask him to do something he was actually capable of.I was put on moderation for being an obnoxious arse last night. Quite justified it was too.

Before I realised that I was on moderation, I apologised the very next morning - explaining that I was drunk and meant no offence. I was then then taken off moderation.

What's your excuse?

JPaul
03-13-2006, 12:43 AM

Obviously whoever sent him the PM decided it was better to ask him to do something he was actually capable of.

Result.

JPaul
03-13-2006, 12:46 AM

Obviously whoever sent him the PM decided it was better to ask him to do something he was actually capable of.I was put on moderation for being an obnoxious arse last night. Quite justified it was too.

Before I realised that I was on moderation, I apologised the very next morning - explaining that I was drunk and meant no offence. I was then then taken off moderation.

What's your excuse?
Oh noes, loads of posts are going to go missing.

manker
03-13-2006, 12:47 AM

I was put on moderation for being an obnoxious arse last night. Quite justified it was too.

What's your excuse?

===
The above is a repost:

Hoi! Don't delete my post just because you're embarrassed. Leave it here for those who didn't manage to catch you being a tit.

lynx
03-13-2006, 12:49 AM

What's your excuse?Other mods seem to be afraid to bring this out in to the open. I'm not.

Many members are totally sick of the bullying posts put up by a few of the regulars of the Lounge. It is going to stop.

manker
03-13-2006, 12:50 AM

I was put on moderation for being an obnoxious arse last night. Quite justified it was too.I was put on moderation for being an obnoxious arse last night. Quite justified it was too.

What's your excuse?
Oh noes, loads of posts are going to go missing.I took a screenshot for this very reason.

Surely this mod, who shall remain nameless, won't go to the trouble of deleting all references to his titishness.

JPaul
03-13-2006, 12:50 AM

I was put on moderation for being an obnoxious arse last night. Quite justified it was too.

What's your excuse?

===
The above is a repost:

Hoi! Don't delete my post just because you're embarrassed. Leave it here for those who didn't manage to catch you being a tit.

Bye Bye post, again.

JPaul
03-13-2006, 12:52 AM

What's your excuse?Other mods seem to be afraid to bring this out in to the open. I'm not.

Many members are totally sick of the bullying posts put up by a few of the regulars of the Lounge. It is going to stop.
Who deleted all of my posts the last time.

Any takers.

lynx
03-13-2006, 12:52 AM

What's your excuse?

===
The above is a repost:

Hoi! Don't delete my post just because you're embarrassed. Leave it here for those who didn't manage to catch you being a tit.I didn't delete it, I put it back.

manker
03-13-2006, 12:55 AM

Many members are totally sick of the bullying posts put up by a few of the regulars of the Lounge. It is going to stop.So it's okay for you to call JP an arse, but it's not okay for me to do the same sort of thing.

Righto.

Btw, what you refer to as bullying is not going to stop :)

JPaul
03-13-2006, 12:55 AM

What's your excuse?

===
The above is a repost:

Hoi! Don't delete my post just because you're embarrassed. Leave it here for those who didn't manage to catch you being a tit.I didn't delete it, I put it back.
How can you put it back if you didn't delete it.

lynx
03-13-2006, 12:58 AM
Manker, if you read your PMs, and I'm sure you do, you would know who deleted that post.

You are another one who needs to stop acting like an arse.

lynx
03-13-2006, 12:59 AM
Btw, what you refer to as bullying is not going to stop :)Yes it is.

Be warned.

lynx
03-13-2006, 01:00 AM
I didn't delete it, I put it back.
How can you put it back if you didn't delete it.Because someone else deleted it.

Duh

manker
03-13-2006, 01:00 AM
Manker, if you read your PMs, and I'm sure you do, you would know who deleted that post.

You are another one who needs to stop acting like an arse.I've read the PM and I know who deleted the post. Obviously after I made the comments above.

Oh, and what you refer to as me acting like an arse isn't going to stop :)

manker
03-13-2006, 01:06 AM
Btw, what you refer to as bullying is not going to stop :)Yes it is.

Be warned.No, no. I can guarantee that it isn't.

You just have to trust me on this, old fella. I'm never going to change the way I talk to people, neither irl nor on the interweb.

Certainly, and particularly, not on the say-so of someone who doesn't even have the backing of the mod team.

I've been exactly the same on here for two years - but now I have to change because you took the pink pill instead of the taupe coloured one and it's not sitting right with all the red wine you've gargled this evening.

I really, really don't think so.

Virtualbody1234
03-13-2006, 01:14 AM
Come to think about it... lynx has an excellent point. The issue may not even be the sports topics in the lounge. lynx hit the nail right on the head when he said "stop being such an arse." That seems to be the real issue.

manker
03-13-2006, 01:19 AM
Come to think about it... lynx has an excellent point. The issue may not even be the sports topics in the lounge. lynx hit the nail right on the head when he said "stop being such an arse." That seems to be the real issue.:lol:

So stop fannying about and say what you mean!

If I think someone is being an arse in the lounge, I generally tell them so and in most cases they stop being an arse. I've noticed that I'm not alone in this behaviour - many of my peers do exactly the same thing. I read instances of it every morning when I read the back posts.

Can you do likewise.

Or would you prefer to make up reasons to have a go at people about something that's completely unrelated.

Up to you, I suppose, but - and this is a personal preference - it would save a lot of time if you actually said what you mean.

Mr JP Fugley
03-13-2006, 11:06 AM
Come to think about it... lynx has an excellent point. The issue may not even be the sports topics in the lounge. lynx hit the nail right on the head when he said "stop being such an arse." That seems to be the real issue.
No, the issue raised in this thread is stopping someone posting things in the Lounge, when they are breaking no rule and are acting within not only the letter of the law, but also it's spirit. By keeping spam in the Lounge where it is not only tolerated, but actively encouraged.

As stated earlier, if you want to discuss another issue, please start a thread about that issue and stop spamming this one.

Or do you feel that you are above the rules.

Oh and chaps, please be advised, as far as I am concerned, the moderation has served one purpose. Any assurances I gave that I would not start Sport related topics in the Lounge are henceforth null and void. I'll post anything I want in the Lounge, whilst staying within the forum rules. i.e. I will stick to your rules. I will expect my posts to be left unmolested, unless someone can demonstrate which rule they have broken. I will not expect arbitrary censorship, based on a personal vendetta.

Thanks for that.

Barbarossa
03-13-2006, 12:13 PM
I thought VB1234 couldn't do censorship, because he's not a mod anymore? :blink:

However, he does tend to have a "Signature-Size/On-Topic-Off-Topic Vigilante" complex. :dabs:

Agrajag
03-13-2006, 12:20 PM
I thought VB1234 couldn't do censorship, because he's not a mod anymore? :blink:

However, he does tend to have a "Signature-Size/On-Topic-Off-Topic Vigilante" complex. :dabs:
He still gets to join in Team Talk, as I recall. I never understood that, surely someone is a member of the board administration or not.

lynx
03-13-2006, 02:08 PM
Congratulations, you just earned yourself another 3 days moderation.

12. If you get placed on 'Moderation' or a 'Ban', do not circumvent that action by creating another account. Doing so can result in a permanent ban to all accounts.

lynx
03-13-2006, 02:45 PM
Congratulations, you just earned yourself another 3 days moderation.

That rule says "by creating another account", nothing about using an existing one.It doesn't say anything about when you created it either.

You knew what the rule was and what it meant - however, please feel free to keep pushing this, then we can invoke rule 13 too.

Cheese
03-13-2006, 03:04 PM
Did Balamm hijack lynx's account? I'd just let this all blow over JP, the little people with their tiny bit of power, like Balynx here, are just trying to provoke a reaction like they did with the K-Lite Tools guys and that rather petty sigs argument. Rather than give them the battle they want we should just return to posting in our normal way in the Lounge (or wait until any arbitrary moderaton has been lifted before doing this). The issue of sports topics in the Lounge has already been settled as far as I can see from the comments of more level-headed moderators.

Balynx has the power (in an interweb forum sense) which he has demonstarted many times he is willing to abuse (eg when he deleted all of J24K's posts). But ultimately he's just another one of these type of people who doesn't even read the Lounge much (and certainly doesn't participate) but want to change it because people don't play the way they want them to.

If we do need to bitch about things we can do so at our own forums where the moderators here are impotent. They are, of course, welcome to read any comments left.

manker
03-13-2006, 03:31 PM
Meh, I'd rather give them the battle they want.

If the feckers would answer me when I point out the glaring incongruities of the thinking behind their prose, that is.

I'm not going to insult anyone, I'm merely going to ask for reasoned answers pertaining to why it was the best course of action for lynx to post a derisory statement to a member in a thread about an issue which had all but been resolved.

I would also like to know why it's fair for lynx to hurl the first (unsolicited) insult (call JP an arse) but not okay (resulting in 24 hour moderation) for JP to reply in kind.

That doesn't seem right nor proper to me.

Cheese
03-13-2006, 03:43 PM
Just so you know, a "cleaner" copy of this post has been sent to
a few of the more level-headed team members.
Good idea, good post. It's a shame that it was deleted, but that is the kind of behaviour you would expect from someone with a shaky argument and a little power.

I don't agree with cleaning up all of the board though (smacks of censorship), though the on-topic sections could do with even half the attention The Lounge is getting at the moment. Hardwareworld and Gamesworld are full of useless spam, Musicworld isn't even read by the mods (and it shows) and the off-topic polls has that lovely racist poll that somehow slipped under the radar.

lynx
03-13-2006, 03:56 PM
Meh, I'd rather give them the battle they want.

If the feckers would answer me when I point out the glaring incongruities of the thinking behind their prose, that is.

I'm not going to insult anyone, I'm merely going to ask for reasoned answers pertaining to why it was the best course of action for lynx to post a derisory statement to a member in a thread about an issue which had all but been resolved.

I would also like to know why it's fair for lynx to hurl the first (unsolicited) insult (call JP an arse) but not okay (resulting in 24 hour moderation) for JP to reply in kind.

That doesn't seem right nor proper to me.JP knew exactly why he had been sent a PM about his posts. No-one outside the mod team, JP and whoever JP decided to tell knew anything about it. Instead of accepting it he decided (in a manner not unusual for him, you or Cheese) to try to blow it up into an issue.

If you bother to read my post properly, you'll see I was stating what I thought had been decided in Team Chat.

As for your thoughts about me not having the backing of other mods, perhaps you might be interested to know that the post which earned JP his initial moderation was deleted by another mod, without any referal to me.

Whether you think it's right or proper is irrelevant.

The Administrators and Moderators are the ones who decide what is offensive, foul, inflammatory or excessive in nature, as well as what is considered spam, solicitation, advertising, profanity, inappropriate nudity or complaints. Their decision on the matter is final. Administrators and Moderators can and will take action without any prior warning or notice.
Just so you know.

manker
03-13-2006, 04:11 PM
JP knew exactly why he had been sent a PM about his posts. No-one outside the mod team, JP and whoever JP decided to tell knew anything about it. Instead of accepting it he decided (in a manner not unusual for him, you or Cheese) to try to blow it up into an issue.

If you bother to read my post properly, you'll see I was stating what I thought had been decided in Team Chat.

As for your thoughts about me not having the backing of other mods, perhaps you might be interested to know that the post which earned JP his initial moderation was deleted by another mod, without any referal to me.

The Administrators and Moderators are the ones who decide what is offensive, foul, inflammatory or excessive in nature, as well as what is considered spam, solicitation, advertising, profanity, inappropriate nudity or complaints. Their decision on the matter is final. Administrators and Moderators can and will take action without any prior warning or notice.
Just so you know.You thought that it had been decided in team chat was to tell JP to stop being an arse, yet the sender of the PM didn't say anything of the sort.

Yet you question MY reading comprehension. Mine is fine, but there is clearly a problem with either your own or the person who sent the PM.

The question I asked was why should JP get put on moderation for an insult, when you'd already insulted both of us without provacation and didn't get moderated - who actually put him on moderation is of little import and I didn't refer to it. It also bears no relevence to if I think you've full mod team backing or not - in your own words 'Other mods seem to be afraid to bring this out in to the open'. By implication, you don't have their backing to do so.

Certainly not the backing of whichever mod deleted your insult post in the first place :smilie4:

You can hide behind the rules if you like, but it won't make your actions right, nor will it make them proper.

twisterX
03-13-2006, 04:48 PM
This thread is causing lots of anger between some.

Cheese
03-13-2006, 04:58 PM
This thread is causing lots of anger between some.
Next week on State the Bleeding Obvious: Sky = Blue.

:p

JPaul
03-13-2006, 05:00 PM
I have checked my in-box and can find no PM explaining that I was being moderated or the reason why. Neither can I remember having received one.

I've asked via PM but have not had an answer

thewizeard
03-13-2006, 05:27 PM

My feelings are pretty much the same here...

Btw....I don't know why, but every time I look at this thread's title, I see In the Interest of Fairies :blink:

:haha:

I think that JPaul made a typo, maybe that's what he really meant, sArA? :D

twisterX
03-13-2006, 06:26 PM
So do we have a resolution to this issue. I mean are we going to keep posting about sports in the lounge or what.

Seems kinda stupid to not allow us to do that since its really an off-topic board and we wouldn't want all those jokes ending up like in the Sports board where there are serious discussions.

We need to settle this but i don't think anyone would want the lounge to change. More work for mods which is unneccessary and it will just cause more problems at other boards.

JPaul
03-13-2006, 06:45 PM
So do we have a resolution to this issue. I mean are we going to keep posting about sports in the lounge or what.

Seems kinda stupid to not allow us to do that since its really an off-topic board and we wouldn't want all those jokes ending up like in the Sports board where there are serious discussions.

We need to settle this but i don't think anyone would want the lounge to change. More work for mods which is unneccessary and it will just cause more problems at other boards.
Well RF and sArA seemed pretty certain. Things are as they were, the Lounge is for anything (so long as it doesn't break an actual board rule).

tesco
03-13-2006, 07:34 PM

The root of the problem was never 'sports threads in lounge'.

twisterX
03-13-2006, 07:39 PM
Thats what it started with. Then it just evolved into more things.

tesco
03-13-2006, 07:44 PM
Ya, and the whole 'Don't start sports threads in the lounge' was just a misunderstanding that eveolved into this.:(

twisterX
03-13-2006, 07:48 PM
Ya this thread should be gone to prevent any more misunderstandings.

manker
03-13-2006, 07:53 PM
Ya, and the whole 'Don't start sports threads in the lounge' was just a misunderstanding that eveolved into this.:(
Ross, Sara and Rat Faced cleared up any misunderstanding.

Everyone was happy until this post (http://www.filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showpost.php?p=1285839&postcount=25).

Now people are not happy.

If that post wasn't made, I don't believe that anyone would have added anything more to this thread, it was done and dusted.

Cheese
03-13-2006, 08:43 PM
Everyone was happy until this post (http://www.filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showpost.php?p=1285839&postcount=25).

Sack him. It's sad when mods start taking things personally but I don't think the board needs another Balamm (sp? (it's been a while)). He can have those pretty stars that all the other failed mods get.

lynx
03-13-2006, 08:44 PM
JP knew exactly why he had been sent a PM about his posts. No-one outside the mod team, JP and whoever JP decided to tell knew anything about it. Instead of accepting it he decided (in a manner not unusual for him, you or Cheese) to try to blow it up into an issue.

Just so you know.You thought that it had been decided in team chat was to tell JP to stop being an arse, yet the sender of the PM didn't say anything of the sort.

Exactly what I pointed out.

Yet you question MY reading comprehension. Mine is fine, but there is clearly a problem with either your own or the person who sent the PM.

No problem with either my comprehension, or the sender of the PM. I was simply demonstrating to other members that everything was not as JPaul might have them believe

The question I asked was why should JP get put on moderation for an insult, when you'd already insulted both of us without provacation and didn't get moderated - who actually put him on moderation is of little import and I didn't refer to it.

You seem to be confusing telling someone to stop acting in a particular way with actually calling them that. I thought your grasp of the English language was better than that.
It also bears no relevence to if I think you've full mod team backing or not - in your own words 'Other mods seem to be afraid to bring this out in to the open'. By implication, you don't have their backing to do so.
Just because someone else doesn't want to confront you themselves doesn't mean they don't agree with the action. Keep twisting the language though, eventually you'll come full circle.

Certainly not the backing of whichever mod deleted your insult post in the first place :smilie4:
It was deleted because the mod thought certain members would not be adult enough to know when to stop. Seems he may have been right.

You can hide behind the rules if you like, but it won't make your actions right, nor will it make them proper.
Seems some of you don't like insults now. How is it that never seems to stop you when you are dishing them out in the lounge?

This is one of the least moderated forums I've come across. As a result we expect members to behave like adults and to know where the line is drawn. A few members however seem to want to push that line back further and further. When that happens there eventually comes a point where the mods have to step in and push the line back to where it belongs. That time seems to have arrived.

Mr JP Fugley
03-13-2006, 08:52 PM
It wasn't a misunderstanding tho'. I have posted what was PMed to me. I just haven't named the person who sent it, because it's irrelevant.

manker
03-13-2006, 09:08 PM
You thought that it had been decided in team chat was to tell JP to stop being an arse, yet the sender of the PM didn't say anything of the sort.

Exactly what I pointed out.

Seems a bit silly, eh.

No problem with either my comprehension, or the sender of the PM. I was simply demonstrating to other members that everything was not as JPaul might have them believe

Hey, what. The team had decided to tell JP to stop being an arse and the PM he received was telling him to stop posting sport threads - but that's what you intended to do.

This is getting better :D

The question I asked was why should JP get put on moderation for an insult, when you'd already insulted both of us without provacation and didn't get moderated - who actually put him on moderation is of little import and I didn't refer to it.

You seem to be confusing telling someone to stop acting in a particular way with actually calling them that. I thought your grasp of the English language was better than that.

I've ably demonstrated many times that my grasp of English is better that yours, here - let me do it again:

I said you'd insulted both of us - not that you'd called us anything. If you tell someone that they've behaved like an arse, that is an insult.

Hope I helped you out there.

It also bears no relevence to if I think you've full mod team backing or not - in your own words 'Other mods seem to be afraid to bring this out in to the open'. By implication, you don't have their backing to do so.
Just because someone else doesn't want to confront you themselves doesn't mean they don't agree with the action. Keep twisting the language though, eventually you'll come full circle.

So all of the mods agree that a post needed to be made like the one you posted. That simply isn't true.

You know it, I know it and the mod who PMed me at the time knows it.

It was deleted because the mod thought certain members would not be adult enough to know when to stop. Seems he may have been right.

Sure it was :lol:

The thread was over, a couple of mods had spoken and agreed on what was to happen - a satisfactory outcome had been reached and you inflamed the situation.

Fact.

Seems some of you don't like insults now. How is it that never seems to stop you when you are dishing them out in the lounge?

So they ARE insults now that you've been dishing out now. Okay, good - JP got put on moderation for insulting you, you should get put on moderation for insulting him.

This is one of the least moderated forums I've come across. As a result we expect members to behave like adults and to know where the line is drawn. A few members however seem to want to push that line back further and further. When that happens there eventually comes a point where the mods have to step in and push the line back to where it belongs. That time seems to have arrived.This already happens. I showed that when I overstepped the mark the other day and apologised when I logged on the next day and read what I'd written.

The fact is that you've got a grudge against JPaul and you're using this issue to have a pop at him.

This is undeniable - and if you do try to deny it, you're really not fooling anyone.

Just so you know.

Mr JP Fugley
03-13-2006, 09:24 PM
Am I getting this right.

The mods chatted and decided that someone should tell me to stop being an arse. That's happened before and I've replied something like "fair enough, point taken", mods can confirm that between themselves. Everyone needs to be told to calm down sometimes and I've had friendly warnings before.

Only that mod misunderstood and told me to stop posting sporting threads in The Lounge.

That led to me being on moderation, for the first time since I joined, when the forum was a couple of months old.

This is just bizarre.

DanB
03-13-2006, 09:52 PM
When you put it like that it surely is

RealitY
03-13-2006, 10:18 PM

If that post wasn't made, I don't believe that anyone would have added anything more to this thread, it was done and dusted.
Does that post actually look that bad as I cant imagine it creating all this. Its stating that we were debating how to deal with Lounge issue should there be one. Seems the fact that JP was put on moderation has sparked this with lots of assumptions as to why he was or if its a grudge which is silly.
He posted what was perceived to be an insult although in my conversations with JP he may be stating it was in jest pointing to a thread with the phrase.

However that dosent clean it as the statement itself could easily be viewed as an insult and is of poor judgment being posted in this section. Im sure someone stopping in would view it as an attack on a mod which dosent look good on the board. The post itself was removed by someone else on the Team for that very reason. As for how this started think that may well have been a misunderstanding also as mentioned by rossco though cant say...

manker
03-13-2006, 10:28 PM

Does that post actually look that bad as I cant imagine it creating all this. Its stating that we were debating how to deal with Lounge issue should there be one. Seems the fact that JP was put on moderation has sparked this with lots of assumptions as to why he was or if its a grudge which is silly.
He posted what was perceived to be an insult although in my conversations with JP he may be stating it was in jest pointing to a thread with the phrase.

However that dosent clean it as the statement itself could easily be viewed as an insult and is of poor judgment being posted in this section. Im sure someone stopping in would view it as an attack on a mod which dosent look good on the board. The post itself was removed by someone else on the Team for that very reason. As for how this started think that may well have been a misunderstanding also as mentioned by rossco though cant say...Honestly, if lynx hadn't posted his insult, there would have been no more to say on the matter.

He inflamed the situation and now there is bad feeling.

RealitY
03-13-2006, 10:31 PM
Do you truly see that as an insult...

Mr JP Fugley
03-13-2006, 10:37 PM

However that dosent clean it as the statement itself could easily be viewed as an insult and is of poor judgment being posted in this section. Im sure someone stopping in would view it as an attack on a mod which dosent look good on the board. The post itself was removed by someone else on the Team for that very reason. As for how this started think that may well have been a misunderstanding also as mentioned by rossco though cant say...

If this is all a load of nonsense over nothing I think I can clear it up now.

I posted "do you have an unfeasibly small penis" to lynx. It was a reference to a previous thread I started (google the phrase and you'll see it). It was also an obscure reference to VIZ magazine in the UK. You'll have to sort out that one for yourself.

It's no big deal and wasn't intended as some sort of major dig at a mod. I thought it was in the spirit of him saying that I was behaving like an arse and would be taken as such, obviously it wasn't. That's unfortunate and I wish it hadn't happened.

The main thing and the point of the thread is that jokey sporting threads are allowed in The Lounge. However don't get annoyed when things get spammed.

Sorry for any confusion this thread has caused. It was intended to clear things up rather than make them more confused.

manker
03-13-2006, 10:40 PM

Obviously whoever sent him the PM decided it was better to ask him to do something he was actually capable of.Do you truly see that as an insult...Well, he's implying that JP isn't capable of being anything other than an arse.

So, yeah. It's an insult :huh:

RealitY
03-13-2006, 10:42 PM
Think based on JP post above yours this is done...

twisterX
03-13-2006, 10:46 PM
this thread should be locked to prevent anymore evolution of this. :lol:

Mr JP Fugley
03-13-2006, 10:46 PM
this thread should be locked to prevent anymore evolution of this. :lol:
Agreed

manker
03-13-2006, 10:48 PM
Think based on JP post above yours this is done...Sure.

The issue about sport threads being allowed in the lounge was done last night.

The issue about arbitrary periods of moderation for insulting people is not.

In this thread, I called Sara a homophobe and didn't get moderated, JP enquired as to whether lynx has an unfeasibly small penis and gets moderated. lynx inferred that JP wasn't capable of behaving anything other than like an arse and he too didn't get moderated.

Does that appear, at all, as if JPaul has been singled out because of a grudge, or is it in the rules somewhere.

RealitY
03-13-2006, 10:50 PM
If he has let it go so should you...

tesco
03-13-2006, 10:50 PM
Closed as agreed by JP...