PDA

View Full Version : In The Interest Of Fairness

JPaul
03-12-2006, 11:19 AM
Posted in "About this Forum", re-posted here, as it relates entirely to the Lounge

I have been instructed not to start sport related threads in The Lounge.

Can you please post sports related topics in the Sports Club and not in the Lounge.

thnx

A pleasent an polite instruction. To which I replied

OK, but I won't bother starting new sports threads if that's the case.

I post in Sports Club when I want a more serious discussion and in the Lounge when I just want a sports related laugh. That way it keeps a lot of possible pish out of Sports Club and people can have a good laugh in The Lounge, the threads proved popular sometimes.

I see it as being the same as keeping serious stuff in the Drawing Room and spam in the Lounge. I think you're wrong but what the hey, it's your forum. So your rules, sorry if I've caused any offence.

I think you will agree that this is a perfectly amicable exchange, with no animosity between myself and the un-named board member.

However I must note that the description of the Lounge, enforced by the board members here is

Don't be fooled by cheap imitations, this is the original Off-Topic forum. Come on in and talk about absolutely anything (within our board rules).

Given that we can talk about "anything" save that it does not break a rule and that I cannot see how discussing sports in a jokey manner breaks the rules, I am a loss to understand this instruction.

I will abide by what I have been told, however in the interests of fairness I must insist that the following things are also precluded from the Lounge;

Filesharing (in all it's forms)
Movies
Television
Music
Books
Comics
Hardware
Software
World Affairs
Jokes
The Internet
Programming
Games

I know this seems harsh, but I'm sure you'll agree it is only fair. Otherwise it would appear that I am being singled out for special treatment and I am absolutely certain that is not the case.

Thanks.

DorisInsinuate
03-12-2006, 11:25 AM
I think the trick is to post a sports related thread without using any sporting terms in the title. Otherwise you'll make the mods look stupid if they don't move it.

Proper Bo
03-12-2006, 11:26 AM
Sorry, I didn't read any of that, but i'd like to take a moment to say that we are gonna pwn those fecking manc bar-stewards this afternoon:01:

anything to say in reply, manker? it might take him a while:smilie4:

enoughfakefiles
03-12-2006, 01:39 PM
From the list you put up J'Pol, this is what the lounge posts would look like :dabs:

http://img56.imageshack.us/img56/5568/untitled1copy5rc.th.jpg (http://img56.imageshack.us/my.php?image=untitled1copy5rc.jpg)

JPaul
03-12-2006, 01:45 PM
Sorry Mate, but that appears to be the way it is.

JPaul
03-12-2006, 05:25 PM
I think the trick is to post a sports related thread without using any sporting terms in the title. Otherwise you'll make the mods look stupid if they don't move it.
Or I could spam topics in Sportsworld and have the stuff moveds to the Lounge. That's the sensible approach. I'm sure mods will love that.

sArA
03-12-2006, 05:45 PM
:dry:

JPaul
03-12-2006, 05:48 PM
:dry:
This thread is in no way a reference to sArA.

I (hopefully we) have no problems with regard to this issue and have dealt with any discussions in private, as it should be.

Santa
03-12-2006, 08:07 PM
anytype of sports threads should only contain images of cheerleaders, bikini contests and posing on cars - if not then such threads should be posted in the Movies & TV section.

MagicNakor
03-12-2006, 08:12 PM
http://www.foe.com/3851/specialevents/malereview/cheerleader.jpg

:shuriken:

Santa
03-12-2006, 08:14 PM
thankyou

fkdup74
03-12-2006, 08:15 PM
*image removed due to excessive gheyness

:shuriken:

:pinch:

peat moss
03-12-2006, 08:16 PM
That is just wrong ! Thats not Sara is it ? :shutup: JK hon .

Cheese
03-12-2006, 08:40 PM

That's pretty much the truth. Let's face it, the one or two whiners wouldn't even know a thread was sports related unless it was in the title and that is because they don't even read the Lounge. They are just looking to be petty, a misplaced thread (in their eyes) is like a nerd to anime. "But miss, they're doing it wrong".

We could have our own off-topic forum in Sportsworld if we just named the titles like "Newcastle v Sunderland" or "Six Nations Predictions". Again, because none of the whiners actually read any of these threads.

Strange, the thing I do most of the time when a topic doesn't interest me is ignore it. The few times I do complain I know I'm being a cunt. I wonder if they do?

JPaul
03-12-2006, 09:03 PM
I've worked it out, seriously, it's feckin' jealousy.

Those obscure repeated threads on UK sports statistics exclude most uninitiated. We don't see threads about the other subjects you mentioned above so obscure as to exclude people not closely involved with the subject. Your targeted threads are specific and specialized enough to not belong in the lounge.

He seems to miss the point that I put them in the Lounge - SO THEY CAN BE REPLIED TO IN A JOKEY WAY AND SPAMMED.

The mods ask us not to spam places like Sportsworld.

I'M THE GUY FOLLOWING THE RULES HERE FOR FUCKS SAKE, SO WHY IS IT ME GETTING THE WARNING.

enoughfakefiles
03-12-2006, 09:05 PM
Maybe the other sections are feeling lonely :dabs:

Damnatory
03-12-2006, 09:11 PM
because they don't even read the Lounge.
That's not entirely true, I read alot of the lounge topics. There is alot of inside jokes that I don't understand and I assume it's either that I've missed the joke somewhere, or the huge cultural gap in our ideas of humor. So rather than be the brunt of a joke, I just try to avoid posting. I know some others feel the same.

That being said, I must admit that sport threads don't often interest me, so I do tend to skip over those ones.

JPaul
03-12-2006, 09:15 PM
because they don't even read the Lounge.
That's not entirely true, I read alot of the lounge topics. There is alot of inside jokes that I don't understand and I assume it's either that I've missed the joke somewhere, or the huge cultural gap in our ideas of humor. So rather than be the brunt of a joke, I just try to avoid posting. I know some others feel the same.

That being said, I must admit that sport threads don't often interest me, so I do tend to skip over those ones.
Exactly.

A word of sense from someone not interested in jokey sports threads "I don't read them".

FFS it's a pity some arses can't think the same way, rather than trying to spoil things for other people.

Cheese
03-12-2006, 09:17 PM

Those obscure repeated threads on UK sports statistics exclude most uninitiated. We don't see threads about the other subjects you mentioned above so obscure as to exclude people not closely involved with the subject. Your targeted threads are specific and specialized enough to not belong in the lounge.

He seems to miss the point that I put them in the Lounge - SO THEY CAN BE REPLIED TO IN A JOKEY WAY AND SPAMMED.

I'M THE GUY FOLLOWING THE RULES HERE FOR FUCKS SAKE, SO WHY IS IT ME GETTING THE WARNING.

It's a strange reasoning to be sure. That means we can talk about the film King Kong as everyone knows what we're going on about but if someone starts an Eastenders thread that would have to be moved.

You can talk about any chart music you may like but if you start talking about lesser known independent artists then it has to be moved to Musicworld.

Don't worry, JP, we will probably be allowed a World Cup thread in here as everyone will be aware of what is going on. Just don't start a thread about any domestic cup competitions. :dabs:

JPaul
03-12-2006, 09:25 PM

It's a strange reasoning to be sure. That means we can talk about the film King Kong as everyone knows what we're going on about but if someone starts an Eastenders thread that would have to be moved.

You can talk about any chart music you may like but if you start talking about lesser known independent artists then it has to be moved to Musicworld.

Don't worry, JP, we will probably be allowed a World Cup thread in here as everyone will be aware of what is going on. Just don't start a thread about any domestic cup competitions. :dabs:

Oh no, no, no, he just didn't understand what he read, or decided to twist it.

I was told, no sports threads and quoted as such. He made the obscurity bit up himself, presumably for some specious justification.

The quote was really to illustrate the motivation. "I don't know enough to join in, so I want to fuck it up for others". Pathetic.

Guillaume
03-12-2006, 10:04 PM
The few times I do complain I know I'm being a cunt. I wonder if they do?
Yeah, we all know you are one.

BTW, I demand you all stop speak english, cause I don't enjoy it and that's so limited to a select crowd.

JPaul
03-12-2006, 10:21 PM

BTW, I demand you all stop speak english, cause I don't enjoy it and that's so limited to a select crowd.
J'agree mon ami.

manker
03-12-2006, 11:35 PM

BTW, I demand you all stop speaking English, 'cause I don't enjoy it and that's so limited to a select crowd.Fuck's sake, Gillian :dry:

Guillaume
03-12-2006, 11:37 PM
What? Still not convincing? :unsure:

manker
03-12-2006, 11:43 PM
Hoi! You were supposed to point out the errors that I didn't correct :fist:

JPaul
03-12-2006, 11:44 PM

BTW, I demand you all stop speaking English, 'cause I don't enjoy it and that's so limited to a select crowd.Fuck's sake, Gillian :dry:
Hoi, stop the cursing. There's Canadian 12 year olds here.

They'll tell their Mum on you.

Rat Faced
03-13-2006, 12:15 AM
The door on the lounge says: Talk about anything.

As far as im concerned, you can talk about anything in there....just dont expect it to stay on Topic for more than 5 posts, and dont complain if it doesnt.

If the lounge terms have changed, i know nothing about it... and i'd expect the sign on the door to be changed before anyone enforces anything.

Disclaimer: If i see something i think may be of interest if talked about seriously, then i may move it....

...but there again, if the poster really wants it in the lounge to laugh at, i can copy it to wherever just as easily.

JPaul
03-13-2006, 12:17 AM
The door on the lounge says: Talk about anything.

As far as im concerned, you can talk about anything in there....just dont expect it to stay on Topic for more than 5 posts, and dont complain if it doesnt.

If the lounge terms have changed, i know nothing about it... and i'd expect the sign on the door to be changed before anyone enforces anything.

Disclaimer: If i see something i think may be of interest if talked about seriously, then i may move it....

...but there again, if the poster really wants it in the lounge to laugh at, i can copy it to wherever just as easily.
Exactly, thanks for that.

manker
03-13-2006, 12:34 AM
Fuck's sake, Gillian :dry:
Hoi, stop the cursing. There's Canadian 12 year olds here.

They'll tell their Mum on you.
Some kind of Canadian 'Eve', you think :unsure:

hobbes
03-13-2006, 12:58 AM
I have absolutely no objection to any topic in this forum, as it is not about filesharing.

Topic= boring= don't read or post.

As Jp mentions, it is for a larf here.

I would appreciate, though, people not highjacking threads in Sportsworld.

Let people discuss their innane sports matters and don't spoil their fun.

It seems so commonplace for American sports threads to be highjacked/rodded, while we simple ignore "soccer" threads. Why is that?

JPaul
03-13-2006, 01:06 AM
I have absolutely no objection to any topic in this forum, as it is not about filesharing.

It seems so commonplace for American sports threads to be highjacked/rodded, while we simple ignore "soccer" threads. Why is that?
I agree with hobbes.

With apologies for any occasions where I highjacked serious threads re American sports, in SportsWorld.

However I make no apologies for what happened in The Lounge, save that it broke forum rules.

Rat Faced
03-13-2006, 01:14 AM

Possibly because the Mods are members 1st and read the threads they are interested in, primarily, unless there's a reported post.

If i go into sportsworld (rarely) i dont read about the American sports (rounders with bigger bats and armour plated rugby?) that i dont know anything about and have no interest in... so i wouldnt know if they were being hijacked.

Maybe none of the American Mods are sports fans?

If somethings being hijacked.... report it.

manker
03-13-2006, 01:15 AM
I'm shocked and appalled at all of the spelling and grammar errors in hobbes' post.

FFS, there should be a rule about that :dry:

hobbes
03-13-2006, 01:20 AM

Possibly because the Mods are members 1st and read the threads they are interested in, primarily, unless there's a reported post.

If i go into sportsworld (rarely) i dont read about the American sports (rounders with bigger bats and armour plated rugby?) that i dont know anything about and have no interest in... so i wouldnt know if they were being hijacked.

Maybe none of the American Mods are sports fans?

If somethings being hijacked.... report it.

Nah, we don't care (enough to whine to mods).

It is just about respect, or people thinking to extend the same courtesy we grant them.