PDA

View Full Version : Don't Make The Same Mistake As Me!

hammermaff
04-24-2003, 09:42 AM
The other day i d/lded xp pro because my xp home was pretty much f'cked up,

anyway all went well d/lded, couldn't make a boot disc so i decided to install over xp home, ........... Everything went o.k. I thought "this is too easy".

Tried to connect to the internet...... Nothing, uninstalled aol/broadband modem & reinstalled 15 times ..... Nothing, spent 3 hours on the phone to aol tried everything they knew...... nothing.

Then all of a sudden bang, fizz, CRASH!!
Everything came to a halt, couldn't log in, couldn't even access the bios.

After sitting there staring at a black screen, crying my eyes out for about 2 hours, :angry: i started reading through all of the "how to" books i've bought, couldn't find any solution, phoned a few puterwiz mates who didn't have any ideas. :geek:

(i couldn't reinstall xp home 'cos it came preinstalled and i didn't get a disc with it).

I ended up having to shell out £180.00 to get a new copy of xp home, format my hard drive & reinstall, so now i've lost everything. :(

But at least now i've got a bootable cd so i can formatt/repair any time i like.

The moral of this story???

Always try and make sure the programmes you install are good,
and ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS BACK UP YOUR FILES!! :rtfm:

Anyway, now I'M BACK and i've got to start from scratch and strangely,i'm looking forward to it!!! I LOVE KAZAA!!!

TRshady
04-24-2003, 09:45 AM
Thanks for that :) , I'm sure it will be a great help to anyone not using the verifieds to get software\games etc.

ck-uk
04-24-2003, 09:54 AM
I ended up having to shell out £180.00 to get a new copy of xp home, format my hard drive & reinstall, so now i've lost everything.
sorry about the lose m8!
if only u could have got access to the forum
and made a topic i could have offer u a guide on how to rip the home
off ur comp and make it a bootable copy and the xp pro.
gutted for u sorry dude!! :)

hammermaff
04-24-2003, 09:58 AM
Cheers m8!!! everyone learns from their mistakes, i guess.

TRshady
04-24-2003, 10:00 AM
Just read my message, sorry if I sounded sarcastic and unhelpfull.

In future, this site may come in handy: bootdisk.com (http://www.bootdisk.com)

You can get boot disks for any version of windows.

hammermaff
04-24-2003, 10:11 AM
@ shady, That's o.k. you're right! you should use the verifieds, (that's the point i was trying to make).
Thanks for the link.... bit late now ;)

zapjb
04-24-2003, 10:11 AM
Geez, damn. Sorry for you. But that's like a waste of $270 US. Too bad. I woulda suggested borrowing or even buying 98SE. Then getting a verified XP Pro. Woulda saved you at least $180 US. :unsure:

hammermaff
04-24-2003, 10:19 AM
I was thinking something along those lines, but i just decided to bite the bullet, it cheered the missus up though.... "i told you not to play around doing all that illegal stuff all the bloody time, downloading this, downloading that blah blah blah" :sleeping: :sleeping:

ck-uk
04-24-2003, 10:34 AM
was thinking something along those lines, but i just decided to bite the bullet, it cheered the missus up though.... "i told you not to play around doing all that illegal stuff all the bloody time, downloading this, downloading that blah blah blah" 

was ur reply to her ''well it's legit now, with that money we've
just paid for the stuff'' :lol: :lol: :lol:

hammermaff
04-24-2003, 10:41 AM
Something like that lol, she hasn't realised the ramifications yet.....NO NEW SHOES FOR A COUPLE OF MONTHS!!!
:D

racer II
04-24-2003, 10:46 AM
Just get Powerquest drive image, and make an image of your HD .
I had to use it two times.
I had a crash 2 months ago and rebooting didn`t do anything, so i was glad i made an image just the week before the crash.
After that i got a nasty virus and the image safed me again. :D

hammermaff
04-24-2003, 10:50 AM
@ racer, great tip! thanks a lot!!!! :beerchug:

racer II
04-24-2003, 10:53 AM
Your welcome ;)

Don`t forget to make a bootdisk with Drive image

ck-uk
04-24-2003, 11:00 AM
yeah very good tip@racer cheers!

Allway use to do it with n/ghost on my ME ..thanks!! :) :)

vegeta
04-24-2003, 12:50 PM
i use ghost boot dosk :rolleyes: