PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading from one hd to another

SingaBoiy
03-13-2006, 02:07 AM
Im using Norton Ghost to copy my main hd to another larger one. My main one is about half way full (its 160 GB). And I wanted to upgrade to a 300 GB. I wanted to know how long this should take. Its been going for a little over 2 and a half hours and its 29% done.

lynx
03-13-2006, 10:21 AM
I did exactly the same yesterday, system partition only, took about 6 minutes for 10GB.

After upgrading the system (new mobo installation) I copied it back to the original Maxtor drive, and for some reason that took 54 minutes. I've fully tested the drive and can't find a fault but I've now switched to another drive and the copy to this third drive again took about 6 minutes.

Obviously, the more fragmented the data the longer it takes, but over 8 hours for 160GB is ridiculous. Sounds like a similar problem to the one I had, I wonder if it is anything to do with on-drive caching.

dodgy368
03-14-2006, 12:28 AM
Im using Norton Ghost to copy my main hd to another larger one. My main one is about half way full (its 160 GB). And I wanted to upgrade to a 300 GB. I wanted to know how long this should take. Its been going for a little over 2 and a half hours and its 29% done.

Can't answer your question but why aren't you putting the 300gb drive on as a slave?