PDA

View Full Version : You British are indeed audacious

Santa
03-14-2006, 01:48 AM
First you place in your capitals centre, Trafalgar square, A statue of a handicapped naked, pregnant woman with no arms

http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/4478/16vw1.jpg

more info - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/4247000.stm

and then you depict one of your countries greatest heroes in a straightjacket.
Churchill - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4795832.stm

http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/9677/41428202statue2031za.jpg

I bow down to your updated cultural boldness.
Im not saying they are "great" works but you are definetly the first to steer away from conservative cliche's and bring the noob art to 2006.
Hopefully other countries will learn from this.
Cheers

rnanker
03-14-2006, 01:50 AM
she also has one leg, which is kinda hawt

rnanker
03-14-2006, 01:50 AM
except for the whole, some man hass put his seed in her bush for life. which kinda puts me off.

Santa
03-14-2006, 02:04 AM
remember, pigeons are genetically designed to shit on sculptures to for the sake of all those that don't like them.

4play
03-14-2006, 02:07 AM
is it me or does her big toe look more like a thumb.

Proper Bo
03-14-2006, 02:10 AM
is it just me, or does her arm look like an arse crack?

Barbarossa
03-14-2006, 11:29 AM
First you place in your capitals centre, Trafalgar square, A statue of a handicapped naked, pregnant woman with no arms

http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/4478/16vw1.jpg

Isn't it just a rip-off of the Venus De Milo?

http://www.ihistory101.net/espanol/greek_images/venus-de-milo.jpg

brenda
03-14-2006, 06:18 PM
ahh the wonderdrug thalidamide

100%
03-14-2006, 08:54 PM
is it just me, or does her arm look like an arse crack?
Whatever turns you on...

Isn't it just a rip-off of the Venus De Milo?
subconciously maybe but DeMilo had her arms removed after becoming a statue, the woman portrayed in the new work had no arms at birth

JPaul
03-14-2006, 10:05 PM
DeMilo had her arms removed after becoming a statue
I didn't realize she actually became a statue then lost her arms. I assumed that it was a sculpture of her.

100%
03-14-2006, 10:31 PM
Actually..according to Vogue mythology, DeMilo, vain as she was yearned for eternal youth, hence the gods having pity on her gave her ointments with which to remove ll signs of age and cellullitus (clitoint) - she ofcourse became addicted and abused the gods generosity and soon turned to marble.

Granted her wish, the gods where pawned due to the "eternal" need to clean her from pigeon shit and etc, hence her arms where removed inorder to retrieve the golden bracelets to pay for eternal dedustification.

JPaul
03-14-2006, 10:33 PM
Actually..according to Vogue mythology, DeMilo, vain as she was yearned for eternal youth, hence the gods having pity on her gave her ointments with which to remove ll signs of age and cellullitus (clitoint) - she ofcourse became addicted and abused the gods generosity and soon turned to marble.

Granted her wish, the gods where pawned due to the "eternal" need to clean her from pigeon shit and etc, hence her arms where removed inorder to retrieve the golden bracelets to pay for eternal dedustification.
I never knew that.

One learns so much here, it's quite frightening.

Carcinus
03-14-2006, 11:35 PM
I personally think the statue of Alison Lapper is something to be proud of. It's quite an arresting and provoking piece of art in terms of both thought and emotion. Whether you like it or not, you'll talk about it. Just the fact that a woman with a different body to the societal norm is comfortable enough to have it sculpted and displayed in arguably the most promenant place in London is pretty admirable.

Churchill suffered from depression and made no apologies for it. I think using a renowned leader to highlight the scope of the effects of mental illness is a positive thing to do.

JPaul
03-14-2006, 11:39 PM
I personally think the statue of Alison Lapper is something to be proud of. It's quite an arresting and provoking piece of art in terms of both thought and emotion. Whether you like it or not, you'll talk about it. Just the fact that a woman with a different body to the societal norm is comfortable enough to have it sculpted and displayed in arguably the most promenant place in London is pretty admirable.

Churchill suffered from depression and made no apologies for it. I think using a renowned leader to highlight the scope of the effects of mental illness is a positive thing to do.
Good post.

100%
03-14-2006, 11:42 PM
thank you

DorisInsinuate
03-15-2006, 12:27 AM

You probably Googled that :dry:

HeavyMetalParkingLot
03-15-2006, 05:10 AM
Just the fact that a woman with a different body to the societal norm

No, i'm pretty sure having arms and legs is more a natural norm and less a societal norm.

MagicNakor
03-15-2006, 07:57 AM

:blink:

:shuriken:

Carcinus
03-16-2006, 12:07 AM
No, i'm pretty sure having arms and legs is more a natural norm and less a societal norm.

I do apologise for not making myself clear. By "Societal norm" I meant what society views as normal, not whether the form of Alison Lapper is "naturally normal." I

I do apologise for not making myself clear. By "Societal norm" I meant what society views as normal, not whether the form of Alison Lapper is "naturally normal." I thought that would be evident from the context, but maybe I was mistaken.

GepperRankins
03-16-2006, 12:09 AM
Just the fact that a woman with a different body to the societal norm

i'd say it's unnatural. no offence to her, but most of the people i know have arms :dabs:

JPaul
03-16-2006, 12:17 AM

I do apologise for not making myself clear. By "Societal norm" I meant what society views as normal, not whether the form of Alison Lapper is "naturally normal." I thought that would be evident from the context, but maybe I was mistaken.

I understood, I thought it a good post.

Carcinus
03-16-2006, 12:17 AM
i'd say it's unnatural. no offence to her, but most of the people i know have arms :dabs:

It's not usual in the way that most people have arms. It's unnatural in the way that her condition is a direct result of a man made drug. I'm taking about the perception of society that it's uncomfortable to flagrently display and celebrate a body which has a different form from that to which we are used to.

JPaul
03-16-2006, 12:22 AM
I'm taking about the perception of society that it's uncomfortable to flagrently display and celebrate a body which has a different form from that to which we are used to.
That sentence made me a wee bit dizzy.

I think it may have been the "...form from that to which we are used to." section.

Are you a football pundit, at all.

HeavyMetalParkingLot
03-16-2006, 12:23 AM
This lady needs a statue as well, she had a child as well:

http://www.five.tv/media/image/11801856.jpg

Carcinus
03-16-2006, 12:27 AM
I'm taking about the perception of society that it's uncomfortable to flagrently display and celebrate a body which has a different form from that to which we are used to.

I think it may have been the "...form from that to which we are used to." section.

:Bingo caller in training:

Yeh I knew it had two left feet when I wrote it, but I'm all high from watching the most amazing piece of theatre ever tonight so couldn't be bothered to think about words. :stars:

JPaul
03-16-2006, 12:30 AM

Yeh I knew it had two left feet when I wrote it, but I'm all high from watching the most amazing piece of theatre ever tonight so couldn't be bothered to think about words. :stars:
Thinking about words is sometimes the wrong way to go. Particularly for an environmental control officer.

Which theatre piece did you see, is it something we would be familiar with.

Cheese
03-16-2006, 12:36 AM

Carmen Miranda :sage:

Carcinus
03-16-2006, 12:36 AM

Thinking about words is sometimes the wrong way to go. Particularly for an environmental control officer.

I am not an environmental control officer. :O

I saw a balletic production of Carmina Burana by Carl Orff, orchestrated by the Royal Ballet Sinfonia and performed by the Birmingham Royal Ballet. It was amazing and I recommend it to anyone, even those not normally into dancing/opera/theatre. It sent shivers down my spine and left me totally exhilarated. Absolutely Awesome And Astounding. :D

Carcinus
03-16-2006, 12:37 AM

Carmen Miranda :sage:

Shut it, Peasant.

JPaul
03-16-2006, 12:40 AM

I saw a balletic production of Carmina Burana by Carl Orff, orchestrated by the Royal Ballet Sinfonia and performed by the Birmingham Royal Ballet. It was amazing and I recommend it to anyone, even those not normally into dancing/opera/theatre. It sent shivers down my spine and left me totally exhilarated. Absolutely Awesome And Astounding. :D

For plebs, think "Music From The Omen"

I would have loved that btw. Even if the choreography was pish I could have listened to the music.

Did I tell you Mrs JP and I have tickets to see Pavarotti (sp) on his farewell tour.

JPaul
03-16-2006, 12:41 AM

Alliteration :ftw:

Carcinus
03-16-2006, 12:56 AM

I would have loved that btw. Even if the choreography was pish I could have listened to the music.

Did I tell you Mrs JP and I have tickets to see Pavarotti (sp) on his farewell tour.

You are indeed a lucky chap. I bet it will be amazing.

I'd go to any production of Carmena, but this was out of this world. All my hairs stood up!
http://www.brb.org.uk/masque/index.htm?act=production&urn=4938

JPaul
03-16-2006, 01:17 AM

I'd go to any production of Carmena, but this was out of this world. All my hairs stood up!

See that's just too much information.

j2k4
03-16-2006, 01:43 AM

Even if the choreography was pish I could have listened to the music.

I'd have begun with eyes closed.

Love the music.

Lucky you, too, JP.

That'll be something for the cranial archive.