PDA

View Full Version : Too good to be true?

Seedler
03-14-2006, 02:42 AM
Maxtor OneTouch II USB2.0/FireWire 300GB 7200rpm 16MB cache

Okay okay, I just found the above external harddrive for $99 bucks in a comp store. The retail price for it is like $299.

It's refurbrished, but it works and the comp store looks legit.

The only problem: no warranty whatsoever on the HD.

Does this seem too good to be true? Please reply, because it'll probably be gone by tomorrow.:unsure:

Skiz
03-14-2006, 02:50 AM
That's the trade off. Refurbished and no warranty = They have to sell it for $99.

I'd say if the data is replaceable (music, movies, etc.) then do it. If its business or school documents that can't be lost, then don't.

Virtualbody1234
03-14-2006, 02:57 AM
Ask if you can at least test it first. If it passes Maxtor Powermax test then keep it.

Skiz
03-14-2006, 02:58 AM
Or maybe let it run for a month or so to see if it works ok, THEN start putting data on it. :unsure:

PS - Where is this deal? :shifty:

Wolfmight
03-14-2006, 06:11 PM
Refurbished Hardrives....hmmm..
I had a 60gb refurbished hardrive from a Maxtor warranty exchange and the bastard is constantly making this Loud High Frequency Noise. EEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHH
It's in the older system here (Emachine crap) and it has never failed on me. Still, the noise is annoying, so we only turn that machine on when it's needed. It's like an extra system for Internet browsing...when we have guests. Believe me, it comes in handy too.
The guests don't mind it, but I sure do.

Seedler
03-15-2006, 02:02 AM
Okay, I bought the drive today, and for $100 bucks 300GB of external USB2.0 storage isn't bad at all.

Currently it's running smooth (hopefully it will keep that way) and I'm backing up all my music, movies, and games onto it; works like a dream because 192GB worth of BT download takes about only 2 hours to backup.

Wish me luck and hopefully this drive will last me for sometime...

Virtualbody1234
03-15-2006, 02:39 AM

Good luck. :)

clocker
03-15-2006, 10:48 PM
Okay, I bought the drive today, and for $100 bucks 300GB of external USB2.0 storage isn't bad at all.
Indeed, that is quite a bargain.

Currently it's running smooth (hopefully it will keep that way) and I'm backing up all my music, movies, and games onto it;
Optomistic SOB ain't ya?
works like a dream because 192GB worth of BT download takes about only 2 hours to backup.
Not bad, not bad at all.

Good luck.
Hopefully.