PDA

View Full Version : Big hardware problem! HELP!!

Delorean
03-14-2006, 07:02 PM
Alright i have a problem with my dad's pc.

While he was working on his pc a power failure occured and everything just shut down..

However when i opened my Pc everything were fine.. but when my dad open his pc an error occured. The error is talking about Memory failure and it asks to press F4 in order to continue.. when we press F4 pc asks for a Current Password
that we obviously don't have or know. When we type 3 times wrong the pass. it says Error in Pass. Check Fatal Error system Halted!!! I think the RAM is toast but i can't be sure.. My dad doesn't know much about pcs so that he wouldn't know how to password protect CMOS.
I removed the battery with the hope that the pass. will be removed, but nothing.. same thing.. It doesn't even leave me to get into the BIOS..

What do you think guys?

tesco
03-14-2006, 07:21 PM
If the computer has more than 1 stick of ram, try with just one, if that doesnt work then try the next, and so on. Try different slots too.
If there's only 1 stick of ram try it in different slots, or try ram from another computer in it.

Also try resetting the cmos by moving the jumper to the clear position, waiting a few seconds, then putting it back.

Delorean
03-14-2006, 09:27 PM
Alright! thx for your help rossco. Problem solved.
I used one of my RAM sticks into my dad's and it worked.. phew. The RAM was toast and i was afraid that it could damage also the motherboard!
Btw i did remove the Battery(if its to that you refered as "jumber") but in my surprise the password didn't removed!Having a pasward at CMOS is not so bad
though :)

Virtualbody1234
03-14-2006, 10:17 PM
No. Removing the battery isn't the same as clearing the CMOS with the jumper.

If you would provide info as to what motherboard it is then we could be more precise about the jumper.

tesco
03-15-2006, 01:03 AM
This is what a jumper looks like:

http://www.ocia.net/articles/overclockingguide/cmos.jpg

The way it works is you pull it up off the pins, then move it over so it connects the middle and pin that it wasnt touching before (in this case the right pin).
Do that, then switch it back after a few seconds (don't power on with it switched).
Some new motherboards have a cmos clearing button instead of a jumper.