PDA

View Full Version : Job interview

Carcinus
03-14-2006, 11:09 PM
Ok, I had a job interview for a Bingo hall earlier today. It's a far cry for what I've trained to do, but having been skint for ages, I'm actually quite chuffed I got a second interview. I am wondering however, why the fuck one needs to go through TWO interviews to work in a Bingo hall.... Or am I just a snob? :cry:

JPaul
03-14-2006, 11:14 PM
Good luck, I hope you get it. I can't afford to buy beer for both you and Chebus at the same time.

GepperRankins
03-14-2006, 11:20 PM
good luck and stuff. fact!

Carcinus
03-14-2006, 11:24 PM
I want to combine my bingo calling with a seance.

""Are you there Harold, It's Ethal, Johnny is not your son" Fourty Four."
""Mavis, Your hat looks shit, love from Irene" Number Twelve."

Or be really obscure..."Lax-boweled Badger - sixty two" "Weasel weasel stoat tango alpha.....Twenty"

DorisInsinuate
03-14-2006, 11:25 PM
Glag.

GepperRankins
03-14-2006, 11:27 PM
all the twos. thirty nine

JPaul
03-14-2006, 11:29 PM
6 and 2 - clickety duck.

Carcinus
03-14-2006, 11:43 PM
Two fat ladies... you KNOW who you are- 88

That balding man in the badly fitting toupe - 33

All you crumblies smell of wee - number twelve

:ph34r:

100%
03-14-2006, 11:50 PM
I visited a bingo hall a while ago
that is some heavy depressing rough life radiating out of frustration in those places.
with your capabilities i am certain you are destined for higher goals.
i say forget them and work elsewhere
unless ofcourse you are doing anthropological research.
the effects of working in places does have an effect on yourself.

manker
03-15-2006, 12:05 AM

Or be really obscure..."Lax-boweled Badger - sixty two" "Weasel weasel stoat tango alpha.....Twenty":lol:

Confession; I didn't get that joke earlier when it was via text message - clear as day when I read it on an interweb forum.

I suck at texting. Fact!

Carcinus
03-15-2006, 12:09 AM

Or be really obscure..."Lax-boweled Badger - sixty two" "Weasel weasel stoat tango alpha.....Twenty":lol:

Confession; I didn't get that joke earlier when it was via text message - clear as day when I read it on an interweb forum.

I suck at texting. Fact!

Thought you were just having a blond moment! :D

I still cant get that footy team...

j2k4
03-15-2006, 11:49 PM
Anyway, did you get the job? :huh:

Carcinus
03-16-2006, 12:06 AM
Got the second interview tomorrow evening. I'm not sure I want it but it'll tide me over I suppose....

I'm still not sure why one needs two interviews to work in a Bingo hall.

Guillaume
03-16-2006, 12:19 AM
Well, you could try to talk a bit louder this time... :unsure:

j2k4
03-16-2006, 12:34 AM
Got the second interview tomorrow evening. I'm not sure I want it but it'll tide me over I suppose....

Me, either, unless it is a particularly high-toned game, with the butler manning the dawber, and rocks drinks.

Good luck, anyway...hope your 'tidings' are high. ;)

Carcinus
03-16-2006, 12:41 AM

Me, either, unless it is a particularly high-toned game, with the butler manning the dawber, and rocks drinks.

Yes, maybe I'll have to do an interpretive dance or operatically sing the numbers out for the highbrow bourgoise elderly, whilst chalking existential slogans on an ironically childish blackboard. :lol:

Thanks though. :)

JPaul
03-16-2006, 12:43 AM

Yes, maybe I'll have to do an interpretive dance or operatically sing the numbers out for the highbrow bourgoise elderly, whilst chalking existential slogans on an ironically childish blackboard. :lol:

That's just mad talk.

j2k4
03-16-2006, 12:57 AM

Try doing all that within arm's-reach of the drum. :P

Carcinus
03-16-2006, 01:02 AM
The numbers are now floated down to the caller embroidered on swans feathers, which turn into butterflies as soon as the number is called.

j2k4
03-16-2006, 01:13 AM
The numbers are now floated down to the caller embroidered on swans feathers, which turn into butterflies as soon as the number is called.

Wow.

Sounds downright agreeable, you could probably even mix the drinks for a few extra, yeah?

Where is this place? :huh:

:P

DorisInsinuate
03-16-2006, 11:01 PM
I think I suck.
Had my second interview and the smug cow that interviewed me spent the entire time gruelling me about why I didn't already have a job with the qualifications I have, like I had some fundimental personality disorder or something. I tried to explain that I hate office work and would prefer to be on my feet doing something I'm more than qualified to do, rather than sit behind a desk all day. I don't think she got it. I find out at the end of the week apparently.

Fuck. I can't even get a job in a Bingo hall.
:glag:

This type of post really entertains me.

DorisInsinuate
03-16-2006, 11:02 PM
I think I suck.
Had my second interview and the smug cow that interviewed me spent the entire time gruelling me about why I didn't already have a job with the qualifications I have, like I had some fundimental personality disorder or something. I tried to explain that I hate office work and would prefer to be on my feet doing something I'm more than qualified to do, rather than sit behind a desk all day. I don't think she got it. I find out at the end of the week apparently.

:glag:

This type of post really entertains me.
OMG, Board AiDs!!!11one!1

Carcinus
03-16-2006, 11:12 PM
tis ok, this time 2years ago(:unsure:) I couldn't get a job selling pencils in a college shop

I wouldn't care but I hate seeming like I'm back where I was when I first graduated. Never mind... Temporary measures. If I miraculously get a job Bingo calling, I'll be the most educated Bingo caller in the history of time.

My sodding flatmate played me a song by The Fall, just before my interview, about a Bingo caller who cracked up. :(

Carcinus
03-16-2006, 11:14 PM
Errrr. what's going on with the post order?

Board Aids indeed...

Carcinus
03-16-2006, 11:19 PM
I think I suck.

DanB
03-16-2006, 11:21 PM
tis ok, this time 2years ago(:unsure:) I couldn't get a job selling pencils in a college shop

j2k4
03-16-2006, 11:24 PM
I think I suck.

You should have informed her you are dealing as best you can with your disorder, and that your shrink told you of the therapeutic value inherent in bingo-calling.

Carcinus
03-16-2006, 11:28 PM
I think I suck.

You should have informed her you are dealing as best you can with your disorder, and that your shrink told you of the therapeutic value inherent in bingo-calling.

:lol: :lol:

Yeh. "They told me it'd be good to read the numbers...I need the numbers...let me have the numbers..." Whilst rocking and twitching.

Inadvertantly calling her "Nurse Ratchett" might have prejudiced her against me too. :dry:

j2k4
03-16-2006, 11:56 PM

:lol: :lol:

Yeh. "They told me it'd be good to read the numbers...I need the numbers...let me have the numbers..." Whilst rocking and twitching.

Inadvertantly calling her "Nurse Ratchett" might have prejudiced her against me too. :dry:

You might ascertain this last concretely by employing a stealthy and oblique question-to wit, Are you familiar with Louise Fletcher, at all, at all. :P

Carcinus
03-17-2006, 12:00 AM
Or just muttered "medication time!" whilst rummaging around in my handbag for some aspirin.:lol:

rnanker
03-17-2006, 02:26 AM
you should have took dave along and introduced him as your boyfriend then they would have believed you were mad.

Mike Nelson
03-17-2006, 09:39 AM
you should have took dave along and introduced him as your boyfriend then they would have believed you were mad.

That's a bit harsh, I'm sure The is a lovely guy.

Gripper
03-17-2006, 10:55 AM
You realize that a flack jacket and stab vest are mandatory for bingo callers nowdays,them places get well rowdy.

Carcinus
03-21-2006, 06:04 PM
I've been rejected from getting a job at the Bingo Hall. Now, I only wanted to pull a few pints and shout some numbers out for minimum wage, not discover the the scientific principles of the game. Never mind, I was slightly consoled by being offered a job as feeder and slaughterer on a pig farm by a man in the pub whose head was much wider at the chin than it was at the forehead.

I declined. He couldn't understand why anyone would not want to work on a pig farm. He was cornish.

DorisInsinuate
03-21-2006, 06:06 PM
I've been rejected from getting a job at the Bingo Hall. Now, I only wanted to pull a few pints and shout some numbers out for minimum wage, not discover the the scientific principles of the game. Never mind, I was slightly consoled by being offered a job as feeder and slaughterer on a pig farm by a man in the pub whose head was much wider at the chin than it was at the forehead.

I declined. He couldn't understand why anyone would not want to work on a pig farm. He was cornish.
Tsk. That was dumb. You could have taken the job at the pig farm and called bingo numbers for the sows.

Silly Billy :no2:

JPaul
03-21-2006, 06:08 PM

That's a pity. Do you have any other irons in the fire.

Proper Bo
03-21-2006, 06:22 PM
tax dodger:no:

Carcinus
03-21-2006, 06:28 PM
Could have played "Who's pig is this!" a la Eddie Izzard.

I've not had the dole through yet so I'm not technically dodging anything. Plus I'm owed a tax rebate in any case.
So Nya.

Gripper
03-21-2006, 06:33 PM
You had a lucky escape The Bingo Hall is a hotbed of incest,jealousy and intrigue,and usually the beer is cheap,so you know who would suddenly develope a liking for the Bingo.

Carcinus
03-21-2006, 06:36 PM
Cheap beer, gambling, and loose women (well, slack anyway at their age), sounds right up the street of you know who. :lol:

manker
03-21-2006, 06:44 PM
Dashed bad luck, old stick. They probably thought you were over-qualified and would shaft them when a better job opportunity came along.

Like, for example, an entrail collater at a Cornish pig-farm :dabs:

Hope you find something soon.

JPaul
03-21-2006, 06:48 PM
Cheap beer, gambling, and loose women (well, slack anyway at their age), sounds right up the street of you know who. :lol:
I'm glad you find him calling you a slack woman amusing. Some folk would take that personally.

Carcinus
03-21-2006, 07:40 PM
There's nothing wrong with my pelvic floor thank you!

j2k4
03-21-2006, 08:50 PM
No doubt the interviewer feared for her job, if she hired you.

Disqualification by overqualification, and never a nod to circumstance, eh?

Hell, I've hired people for a few weeks, to tide me over, and as a consequence, I've got a double handful of people I can call in an emergency.

One is a mechanical engineer, studying for his Master's.

People such as the one who turned you down are a pox on the earth.

JPaul
03-21-2006, 08:56 PM
There's nothing wrong with my pelvic floor thank you!
Mon plaisure. :naughty:

brotherdoobie
03-21-2006, 09:03 PM
One more year of school...I can't wait to find a job!
(I'm sure I'll miss,mucking around in concrete! :dabs: )

Peace bd

JPaul
03-21-2006, 09:04 PM

Peace bd
By school I take it you mean big school.

brotherdoobie
03-21-2006, 09:47 PM

Peace bd By school I take it you mean big school.

Actually, it's quite a small school. :schnauz:

Peace bd

rnanker
03-22-2006, 12:22 AM
you are old for school no? i would suggest mature student but i've read some of your posts. :*

Carcinus
03-22-2006, 12:55 AM
No doubt the interviewer feared for her job, if she hired you.

Disqualification by overqualification, and never a nod to circumstance, eh?

Hell, I've hired people for a few weeks, to tide me over, and as a consequence, I've got a double handful of people I can call in an emergency.

One is a mechanical engineer, studying for his Master's.

People such as the one who turned you down are a pox on the earth.

I think there certainly was an element of wanting floor-staff to remain floor-staff and not have any aspirations to move up the ranks. In which case I'm better off not working for them. My sights are set on more suitable careers but whilst I'm looking I need to find a "no-brainer" job to pay the bills.

However, it seems that nowadays even "no-brainer" employers are getting fussy and choosing not to hire those with graduate and postgraduate qualifications, not looking at the years of experience I have over a range of different employment sectors. My qualifications seem to put off prospective employers and I'm seriously considering dumbing down my cv, once I can square it with my ego. :whistling

The man downstairs from me was made redundant three weeks ago too He is a qualified marine engineer with a proven track record. He can't find anything either and was turned down for a handyman post that he could have excelled at in his sleep. Last time I was left unemployed I found a job in a matter of days. It seems times they are a changing. :dry:

j2k4
03-22-2006, 01:57 AM
Sounds like you could get around some of that by simply "failing to report" select parts of your resume.

After all, they are not relevant. :naughty:

Who could blame you? :)

JPaul
03-22-2006, 02:03 PM
Sounds like you could get around some of that by simply "failing to report" select parts of your resume.

After all, they are not relevant. :naughty:

Who could blame you? :)
That's what she said, mate.

Anyhow, employers are getting less likely to employ the "over-qualified" because they are self-important smart arses who can't just do what they are told. I am in the fortunate position of having been under-qualified for every job I ever had. With the result that I have a grand total of 10 days unemployment in the last 27 years.

Carcinus
03-22-2006, 02:22 PM
Anyhow, employers are getting less likely to employ the "over-qualified" because they are self-important smart arses who can't just do what they are told.

Rubbish! :P I work as hard for a job I'm overqualified to do as any other job I've had. There is always the danger of a kind of reverse snobbishness when you work in waitressing, catering, pubwork, admin, telesales, customer service etc from those who don't have a good education, towards those who do. I'm always careful not to shove my qualifications down other people's throats and don't think I'm any better than my co-workers just because I have a good education.

JPaul
03-22-2006, 02:26 PM
Anyhow, employers are getting less likely to employ the "over-qualified" because they are self-important smart arses who can't just do what they are told.

Rubbish! :P I work as hard for a job I'm overqualified to do as any other job I've had. There is always the danger of a kind of reverse snobbishness when you work in waitressing, catering, pubwork, admin, telesales, customer service etc from those who don't have a good education, towards those who do. I'm always careful not to shove my qualifications down other people's throats and don't think I'm any better than my co-workers just because I have a good education.

Put this phoatie on your CV. It may help.

http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=tbn:xN5cRs6s4A61OM:http://fish.beep.pl/galeria/fish/07_01.jpg

CrabGirl
04-07-2006, 02:34 PM
I got a job today. I start on monday. Yey.

I'll be working for a wine merchants. I get free wine. Yey.

Cheese
04-07-2006, 02:35 PM
So have you given up on your dream of working in a bingo hall?

manker
04-07-2006, 02:37 PM
Good jawb, Crab-Girl :smilie4:

CrabGirl
04-07-2006, 02:38 PM
So have you given up on your dream of working in a bingo hall?

As long as I live, so help me God, I will never, never give up my dream of working in a Bingo hall. :lookaroun

CrabGirl
04-07-2006, 02:46 PM
Thanks! I wasn't joking about getting free wine either.

manker
04-07-2006, 02:53 PM
I didn't think you were :unsure:

Mr. Mulder
04-07-2006, 02:55 PM
orsum. congrats CrabGirl. :smilie4:

CrabGirl
04-07-2006, 02:55 PM

You're obviously not LISTENING. I get FREE wine. Crates and crates and crates of it. :ph34r:

manker
04-07-2006, 03:01 PM

You're obviously not LISTENING. I get FREE wine. Crates and crates and crates of it. :ph34r:
Can you please get me some Pouilly Fuser? 2003 vintage if poss.

It's the only wine that doesn't taste like sick after two glasses.

manker
04-07-2006, 03:04 PM
Oh, it's Pouilly Fuisse that I mean. Sorry for any inconvenience :(

CrabGirl
04-07-2006, 03:05 PM
This one?

www.laithwaites.co.uk/product~product_code~25270~mscssid~512D7ACD7DFC4BDC8D8A22A943FB2E55.pasp

Barbarossa
04-07-2006, 03:07 PM
Knowing the names of wines you like = ghey

manker
04-07-2006, 03:08 PM
This one?

www.laithwaites.co.uk/product~product_code~25270~mscssid~512D7ACD7DFC4BDC8D8A22A943FB2E55.pasp
I don't think I like that one :no:

They have that at restaurants too and the couple of glasses I had previously weren't as nice.

CrabGirl
04-07-2006, 03:10 PM
This one?

They have that at restaurants too and the couple of glasses I had previously weren't as nice.

http://www.laithwaites.co.uk/product~product_code~25274~mscssid~512D7ACD7DFC4BDC8D8A22A943FB2E55.pasp

:sigh: When you come down you'll drink what you are given. Fact.

manker
04-07-2006, 03:11 PM
Knowing the names of wines you like = gheyWatching musicals is gayer than the hills. Official.

Enjoying them is tantamount to scouting for talent with Ron Davies.

Mr JP Fugley
04-07-2006, 03:12 PM
congratulations, but don't let it go to your head. the dreamof bingo calling must not be forgotten.

please don't be the person who looks back in years to come and wishes they had chased that star.

six and two, clickety duck.

manker
04-07-2006, 03:15 PM

http://www.laithwaites.co.uk/product~product_code~25274~mscssid~512D7ACD7DFC4BDC8D8A22A943FB2E55.pasp

:sigh: When you come down you'll drink what you are given. Fact.No, no. Not that one either :no:

I had faith in you, wino-chick.

You're right tho', I'll just drink whatever is put in front of me. I'm very polite like that.

CrabGirl
04-07-2006, 03:16 PM
congratulations, but don't let it go to your head. the dreamof bingo calling must not be forgotten.

please don't be the person who looks back in years to come and wishes they had chased that star.

six and two, clickety duck.

I hear you, and I understand!

Are you sure you meant to send this to me by the way? :blink:

http://images.contactmusic.com/images/artist/billyconnollyap.jpg

Mr. Mulder
04-07-2006, 03:26 PM
manker likes to watch the cooking programs on a weekend morning and memorise the names of wines in a vein attempt to look like a non-chav, when really nothing would please him more than to sit on the wall behind the co-op and knock back a bottle of lambrini followed by a packet of quavers as a chaser :dabs:

manker
04-07-2006, 03:30 PM
when really nothing would please him more than to sit on the wall behind the co-op and knock back a bottle of lambrini followed by a packet of quavers as a chaser :dabs:That sentence fragment is glagworthy in so many ways :lol:

Gripper
04-07-2006, 04:38 PM
manker likes to watch the cooking programs on a weekend morning and memorise the names of wines in a vein attempt to look like a non-chav, when really nothing would please him more than to sit on the wall behind the co-op and knock back a bottle of lambrini followed by a packet of quavers as a chaser :dabs:
Ah the good old daze:stars:

JPaul
04-07-2006, 04:57 PM
Mulder has forgotten his Librium again. Someone phone the "care in the community" people.

Mr. Mulder
04-07-2006, 06:03 PM
Mulder has forgotten his Librium again. Someone phone the "care in the community" people.

whats that? some sort of new distro? :unsure:

JPaul
04-07-2006, 06:57 PM

whats that? some sort of new distro? :unsure:
:lol:

Linux Librium, no pressure install like.