PDA

View Full Version : Internet Restore missing Firefox BOOKMARKS

tesco
03-16-2006, 10:27 PM
This is just a quick guide to explain how to restore your bookmarks that have gone missing in Firefox. If you have any question just post or PM me. :)

Why does it happen?
Well first of all, in Firefox some people have their profiles randomly go missing. This is caused by the Firefox.exe hanging, then the user opening another Firefox window.
They then get a message box asking them for a name for their new profile. Not realizing this is going to override their old profile they type a name then hit OK.
When they get back in to Firefox, they see that all their settings have returned to the default (Theme selection, bookmarks, etc.).

How do I restore my bookmarks?
The profile is easy to restore luckily. :)
First of all, close Firefox.
Now browse to C:\documents and settings\your windows username\application data\mozilla\firefox\profiles\
Now you will probably see 2 or more profile folders.
One of these will be your old profile and one will be your new one. :)

Pick a profile folder and double click it. You will find a file called bookmarks.html (Ignore bookmarks.bak).
Open this file with Notepad, Firefox, or any other browser or editor of your choice.
If the File contains the links that you used to have in your bookmarks then you've now found your old bookmarks file. :)

Now to restore there are 2 methods:
1. Right click the file you found and click copy -> Browse back to the profiles folder (C:\documents and settings\your windows username\application data\mozilla\firefox\profiles\) -> Double click the other profile folder -> Right click any white area -> Click "Paste"

2. If you've already started adding some new bookmarks to your bookmarks menu in Firefox and don't want to lose them, but want to import your old bookmarks:
Open up firefox -> Click Bookmarks -> Manage Bookmarks -> Click File>Import -> Choose "From File" -> Click Next -> Browse to that Bookmarks.html file we found -> Open.

I hope this helps you out and if you have any questions, or suggestions of better ways to import your bookmarks.html file, PM me or post here.

100%
03-20-2006, 01:32 PM
clap clap

eskayes
06-04-2006, 03:33 PM
This is a good guide! Pity I didn't see it earlier. I had a tough time getting info on tracing my FF profile file! :-)

ponko
06-17-2006, 02:09 PM
not workind for me :(

eskayes
06-22-2006, 11:38 AM
not workind for me :(
Hi ponko!
Search for Firefox profiles in Google & clik 'Firefox Help: How To Manage Profiles'. U'll get all the help u need to restore ur old bookmarks! However rossco's tut is easier.
Nowadays I just don't trust these browsers alone to save my bookmarks. I upload them to 'ikeepbookmarks.com'. It is free and easy! :)

Niv-S
08-02-2006, 09:12 AM
THAnks man it`s realy help

vobilli
07-30-2007, 08:35 AM
Excellent guide ros! I've had this happen countless times and had to start saving my good ones to delicious. Muchas gracias!

JA
07-30-2007, 12:27 PM
i wish you made this earlier!! i just save me book marks now, an when ever i lose em, i jus recover em' =] easy =] Peasy =] Lemon =] Sqeezy =]

boomerang
08-07-2007, 05:32 PM
another great piece of info and gonna be used

kareemamir
08-10-2007, 10:46 PM
sweet! mine are forever disappering!

SAM
09-08-2007, 07:08 PM
thank you very much

hoangd2k
10-04-2007, 07:38 PM
It's a nice guidance, I have to reinstall everytime i lost my bookmark. This will be a helful!!!

yomama
10-20-2007, 02:48 AM
finally, thanks for the post

licinio
02-23-2008, 07:43 PM
Excellent guide ros!

speedcrazy
03-26-2008, 05:26 PM
I use portable firefox and I open the browser go to bookmarks and none are there now and again. I use the Febe extension found here : https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2109
FEBE backs up your extensions, themes, and (optionally) your bookmarks, preferences, passwords, cookies and just about everything else Firefox offers (it can even backup/restore your entire profile).