PDA

View Full Version : After years of the Baseball 'World-Series' being nothing of the sort ...

manker
03-17-2006, 07:17 PM
... the merkins get a tatering by Mexico, Canada and the might of South Korea.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/baseball/4816000.stm

Rumblings have now started coming from the American camp that they didn't take the inaugural World Baseball Classic seriously anyhow.

Maybe they had mandatory drug tests there or something :huh:

brotherdoobie
03-17-2006, 07:29 PM
Fuck off...

bd

manker
03-17-2006, 07:34 PM
Fuck off...

bd:O

So what is it - are you rubbish or apathetic.

Mexico had a burrito salesman playing for them :lol:

GepperRankins
03-17-2006, 07:36 PM
:glag: well now we know where ziggy's been the last week or so :smilie4:

yesh, ziggy = every mexican evar

brotherdoobie
03-17-2006, 08:00 PM
Fuck off...

bd:O

i'm just about copied and soon...i will be pasted. i'm also bummed about
american baseball. surely...you feel empathy?

Peace bd

Busyman
03-17-2006, 08:03 PM

Rumblings have now started coming from the American camp that they didn't take the inaugural World Baseball Classic seriously anyhow.

Eh? Many of the best players on other teams play play MLB.

I don't know about the American team but Americans in general didn't take it seriously. That's why many of our best turned down going (similar to our Olympic basketball team).

America played against many fellow MLB players in the WBC so I'm not surprised they lost. The fact is America always cares about American "leagues" more than world competition 'cause there's no real money in it. Hurt yourself in some world competition that pays nothing and then career at home goes to shit.

I do think that any American player that went over and played needs to STFU, however. You step on the field, you play your best and don't give fucking excuses about it.

It reminds me of Olympic skier, Bode Miller. After HE LOST, he said he didn't care about medals.:dry:

Not a very good rod, btw mank

manker
03-17-2006, 08:05 PM
:O

i'm just about copied and soon...i will be pasted. i'm also bummed about
american baseball. surely...you feel empathy?

Peace bdWell, you're a nice chap and normally I would feel some empathy.

However, in this case - with you not letting anyone play Baseball properly for such a long time ... the irony, and glagworthyness, of the situation supercedes any empathy.

Sorry :dabs:

Busyman
03-17-2006, 08:11 PM
However, in this case - with you not letting anyone play Baseball properly for such a long time
What does that mean?:huh:

manker
03-17-2006, 08:12 PM

I don't know about the American team but Americans in general didn't take it seriously. That's why many of our best turned down going (similar to our Olympic basketball team).

America played against many fellow MLB players in the WBC so I'm not surprised they lost. The fact is America always cares about American "leagues" more than world competition 'cause there's no real money in it. Hurt yourself in some world competition that pays nothing and then career at home goes to shit.

I do think that any American player that went over and played needs to STFU, however. You step on the field, you play your best and don't give fucking excuses about it.

It reminds me of Olympic skier, Bode Miller. After HE LOST, he said he didn't care about medals.:dry:

Not a very good rod, btw mankI like your disclaimer, however, it's not a rod. I've been following the competition (on the BBC website) because it interested me that the 'World Series' jokes would have to stop. I find it totally ironic that Team USA have been humbled by part-timers and Minor league players.

What you're saying there is that money > national glory.

You'll find many, if not all, soccer fans disagreeing with you. In the World Cup, the players get paid a pittance c.f. what they get from their clubs but the attention focused on the World Cup will dwarf anything domestically.

I find it completely strange that you believe the internal competitions are more important than a global one because of money.

Kinda sad, too.

manker
03-17-2006, 08:13 PM
However, in this case - with you not letting anyone play Baseball properly for such a long time
What does that mean?:huh:Test themselves nationally in global competition.

It was a joke, more than anything.

Busyman
03-17-2006, 08:32 PM

Not a very good rod, btw mankI like your disclaimer, however, it's not a rod. I've been following the competition (on the BBC website) because it interested me that the 'World Series' jokes would have to stop. I find it totally ironic that Team USA have been humbled by part-timers and Minor league players.
Eh? All nationalities play MLB. Our World Series is not just made up of Americans.

What you're saying there is that money > national glory.Hmmm...one is a person's job, the other isn't. Many say that Americans think that the rest of the world doesn't matter. In some instances that is true. America is a huge country that has it's own competitions. Baseball has a large market and payout in America, not elsewhere. It's the best come here to play. A MLB team made up of mostly foreigners could win The World Series.

You'll find many, if not all, soccer fans disagreeing with you. In the World Cup, the players get paid a pittance c.f. what they get from their clubs but the attention focused on the World Cup will dwarf anything domestically....and that's soccer, which has small market here. I do see that The World Cup will be shown here on ESPN, ESPN2, and ABC. I probably watch some before I get bored like I did with the World Baseball Classic.

I find it completely strange that you believe the internal competitions are more important than a global one because of money.

Kinda sad, too.
Maybe it's about a person's job versus a country's ego. Look at America last Olympic basketball outing. You do know who Shaquille O'Neal is. He didn't go. Kobe Bryant...absent...them and a host of many other "elite" players over here.

Tbh, I think a poor player from Mexico does have a lot more to play for than say a Roger Clemens who gets to retreat to his gated home and playing for millions of dollars...at home.

Actually Roger Clemens was probably a bad example 'cause he is talking about retiring (don't know many players in the Classic). The Mexico game is feasibly his last baseball game. Maybe a better example would be A. Rod.

My belief, irregardless to your qoute above, is quite logical.

manker
03-17-2006, 08:59 PM
That there is a whole vinyard of sour grapes! I've seen you making posts about the Winter Olympics and being proud when America win - and now you're saying that cash is the be all and end all.

Don't make me laugh. You seeing people representing your country being the best in the world is more important than them earning more money playing some internal competition.

Altho' this is something I found interesting enough to post on its own anyway, some misdirected and low-grade pathos is always welcome.

You got stuffed by teams who have minor league players playing for them - and people who aren't good enough to play minor league - but it doesn't matter because the prize money was poor.

Bollocks - see Paul's reaction for how a real American Baseball fan feels.

Note too that he was secure enough to be honest about how he felt about America losing at something :smilie4:

JPaul
03-17-2006, 09:00 PM
Everything is about it's monetary value, really is a rather sad outlook on life.

manker
03-17-2006, 09:04 PM
Everything is about it's monetary value, really is a rather sad outlook on life.Even sadder that he doesn't really mean it.

See the GO TEAM USA HOCKEY!!111 (I paraphrase) posts when the Winter Olympics were on.

I doubt they were getting paid a great deal. Certainly not as much as in the NHL, anyhow.

Sad that he feels he mustn't let us think that there is something better than the USA in the whole wide world.

JPaul
03-17-2006, 09:08 PM
I genuinely mean it. How culturally redundant do you need to be to argue that international competition is less important than domestic competitions, purely on the basis that there is less money involved.

Like you said, no domestic competition compares to The World Cup, just as an obvious example. The same goes for just about any sport. Except darts obviously.

Busyman
03-17-2006, 09:09 PM
That there is a whole vinyard of sour grapes! I've seen you making posts about the Winter Olympics and being proud when America win - and now you're saying that cash is the be all and end all.

Don't make me laugh. You seeing people representing your country being the best in the world is more important than them earning more money playing some internal competition.

Altho' this is something I found interesting enough to post on its own anyway, some misdirected and low-grade pathos is always welcome.

You got stuffed by teams who have minor league players playing for them - and people who aren't good enough to play minor league - but it doesn't matter because the prize money was poor.

Note too that he was secure enough to be honest about how he felt about America losing at something :smilie4:
I'm not a baseball fan so I'm kinda indifferent when they lose. I am a basketball fan and I was pissed when America lost in the Olympics. I can talk about how high our Olympic medal count is yet don't like all the events within it.

I bet it would different in the WBC if there was tons of prize money involved. You'd see all our best players going.

Oh and there is a difference between playing a game for nothing besides country pride and playing for your livlihood.

I'm surprised you can't grasp that.

I can't imagine our football being in the Olympics and all our best players being in it...for little money. In contrast, other countries send their very best players in basketball (and many other sports where there's a local market).

manker
03-17-2006, 09:12 PM
I genuinely mean it. How culturally redundant do you need to be to argue that international competition is less important than domestic competitions, purely on the basis that there is less money involved.
Apparently, 'Americans think that the rest of the world doesn't matter'. This must be the reason.

In this instance it can be for one of two reasons, they're scared of getting beaten (like when England stopped playing soccer friendlies against the Welsh in the early 80s) or they think that there is no competition.

Obviously, the latter can't be true because they got beaten three times. For any American to say it now, must be sour grapes, surely.

JPaul
03-17-2006, 09:12 PM

People can grasp it, mate. It's just a bit pathetic.

manker
03-17-2006, 09:18 PM

I'm not a baseball fan so I'm kinda indifferent when they lose. I am a basketball fan and I was pissed when America lost in the Olympics. I can talk about how high our Olympic medal count is yet don't like all the events within it.

I bet it would different in the WBC if there was tons of prize money involved. You'd see all our best players going.

Oh and there is a difference between playing a game for nothing besides country pride and playing for your livlihood.

I can't imagine our football being in the Olympics and all our best players being in it...for little money. In contrast, other countries send their very best players in basketball (and many other sports where there's a local market).Of course there is a difference between playing purely for national pride and your livelihood. Your livelihood is what you do week in, week out and you represent your country a few times a year IF you're good enough.

You try just as hard for both, but when you represent your country, it's that little bit more special a) Because you don't do it that often and b) because all of your countrymen are behind you, wanting you to do well.

Why do you think I can't grasp it and what point are you trying to make :blink:

The bit about having to get paid a ton of money to represent your country is also very, very sad to read.

I'm not surprised America sucks at global team sports.

Busyman
03-17-2006, 09:20 PM
Everything is about it's monetary value, really is a rather sad outlook on life.Even sadder that he doesn't really mean it.

See the GO TEAM USA HOCKEY!!111 (I paraphrase) posts when the Winter Olympics were on.

I doubt they were getting paid a great deal. Certainly not as much as in the NHL, anyhow.

Sad that he feels he mustn't let us think that there is something better than the USA in the whole wide world.
Wanting your team to win based purely on that it's your country playing is an entirely different matter. Hell I wanted the US Curling Team to win and I think it's shit sport. I thinks darts is a shit parlour game but if there was a World Darts Championship, I'd want the US to win.

I'm more of a fan of individual sports than my country playing in sports.

Again, you still don't get that their is a difference between job and competition. America is THE biggest market for basketball, football, and baseball.

Millions of dollars > Global competition. Fact

Busyman
03-17-2006, 09:25 PM

I can't imagine our football being in the Olympics and all our best players being in it...for little money. In contrast, other countries send their very best players in basketball (and many other sports where there's a local market).Of course there is a difference between playing purely for national pride and your livelihood. Your livelihood is what you do week in, week out and you represent your country a few times a year IF you're good enough.

You try just as hard for both, but when you represent your country, it's that little bit more special a) Because you don't do it that often and b) because all of your countrymen are behind you, wanting you to do well.

Why do you think I can't grasp it and what point are you trying to make :blink:

The bit about having to get paid a ton of money to represent your country is also very, very sad to read.

I'm not surprised America sucks at global team sports.
Me either, at least certain ones. Because of the money doohicky, we usually don't manage to send our best players. In baseball, we probably aren't the best even if we did send our best. For much of the world Latin demographic, baseball an soccer are their main competitions.

JPaul
03-17-2006, 09:25 PM
Apparently, 'Americans think that the rest of the world doesn't matter'. This must be the reason.

In this instance it can be for one of two reasons, they're scared of getting beaten (like when England stopped playing soccer friendlies against the Welsh in the early 80s) or they think that there is no competition.

Obviously, the latter can't be true because they got beaten three times. For any American to say it now, must be sour grapes, surely.
Sadness upon sadness.

The rest of the World doesn't matter and everything is based on it's monetary value. If that weren't so pathetic it would be laughable.

That would be analagous to a spoiled 10 year old. I suppose that they are young, as nations go. Hopefully they will grow up before their adolescent behaviour causes irreparable damage to the rest of the World.

JPaul
03-17-2006, 09:28 PM
:no2:

manker
03-17-2006, 09:35 PM
Even sadder that he doesn't really mean it.

Wanting your team to win based purely on that it's your country playing is an entirely different matter. Hell I wanted the US Curling Team to win and I think it's shit sport. I thinks darts is a shit parlour game but if there was a World Darts Championship, I'd want the US to win.

Again, you still don't get that their is a difference between job and competition. America is THE biggest market for basketball, football, and baseball.

You're more a fan of individual sports?

I don't believe you.

You go nuts over football and basketball and I cannot believe that golf/athletics/9-ball would send you into the same raptures.

As has been written. It's very sad that you think that money in domestic competition is more important than international competition.

You say it almost as if there being more money in domestic competition isn't true of anywhere else or other sports.

You're so insular that you're becoming a bit of a joke.

Busyman
03-17-2006, 09:43 PM

I don't believe you.

You go nuts over football and basketball and I cannot believe that golf/athletics/9-ball would send you into the same raptures.

As has been written. It's very sad that you think that money in domestic competition is more important than international competition.

You say it almost as if there being more money in domestic competition isn't true of anywhere else or other sports.

Certain individual sports, mank.:ermm:

I'm not a joke. I'm a realist.

Here's a good one for any American. Let's apply it to the fan of that particular sport.....

Which are they more likely to watch....the WBC or the World Series?

The NBA Championship or the World Championship/Olympics?

Those (besides football) are our big three sports marketwise.

JPaul
03-17-2006, 09:44 PM

I have to take excepotion to that. The chap's posts re golf/ athletics/9-ball are legendary. He rarely mentions basketball or football, just look in Sports World.

Warning - Irony above.
@Chewie :P

manker
03-17-2006, 09:58 PM

I don't believe you.

Here's a good one for any American. Let's apply it to the fan of that particular sport.....

You said that you were 'more a fan of individual sports' - I took that to mean that you were more a fan of individual sports. Not that you are more of a fan of some individual sports over, say, kabaddi or something.

You see how confusion can arise if you write down words that do not properly express what you want the reader to think you mean.

Maybe this is an American thing - since you're no good at team sports, perhaps domestic competitions in team sports (which pale into insignificance when compared with international competition for the rest of the world) mean more to you.

Perhaps earning vast amounts of money is more important than the acheivement of being able to say - 'we're the best team in the world'.

Then again, maybe it's just you.

vidcc
03-17-2006, 10:05 PM
I think the whole thing is silly, if the sport is not bikini beach volleyball with hot women playing it's not worth watching..............IMO

I'd rather see this http://www.livingroom.org.au/olympics/images/thumbnails/K081720AU.jpg

than this
http://www.lionstour.com/images/gallery/Lions%20Scrum.jpg

Can't imagine why:lookaroun

Busyman
03-17-2006, 10:06 PM

You said that you were 'more a fan of individual sports' - I took that to mean that you were more a fan of individual sports. Not that you are more of a fan of some individual sports over, say, kabaddi or something.

You see how confusion can arise if you write down words that do not properly express what you want the reader to think you mean.

Cool glad it's cleared up.:happy:

Maybe this is an American thing - since you're no good at team sports, perhaps domestic competitions in team sports (which pale into insignificance when compared with international competition for the rest of the world) mean more to you.

Perhaps earning vast amounts of money is more important than the acheivement of being able to say - 'we're the best team in the world'.

Nah, it's the real deal.

Global competition earns a pittance and even owners and manager's don't like it.

So an indvidual player would weigh that when deciding to play.

manker
03-17-2006, 10:10 PM

Cool glad it's cleared up.:happy:

Nah, it's the real deal.

Global competition earns a pittance and even owners and manager's don't like it.

So an indvidual player would weigh that when deciding to play.Only in America.

Elsewhere, players are particularly proud to represent their country and would do it for nothing. Fact.

Owners and managers don't like it, they don't much over here either because it doesn't make the owners any money and the managers might end up with injured players - especially the foreign owners and managers. However, it's the friendlies they take issue with, not competitions.

Anyway, they don't participate - the players that play and the public that watch absolutely love it.

Over here, that is.

JPaul
03-17-2006, 10:24 PM
Ryan Giggs. Fact.

manker
03-17-2006, 10:33 PM
I think the whole thing is silly, if the sport is not bikini beach volleyball with hot women playing it's not worth watching..............IMO

I'd rather see this http://www.livingroom.org.au/olympics/images/thumbnails/K081720AU.jpg

than this
http://www.lionstour.com/images/gallery/Lions%20Scrum.jpg

Can't imagine why:lookaroun
Well, I'd much prefer to see the Lions playing rugby than some hawt women jumping around in bikinis.

I can watch Aerobics Oz Style every morning, if I like. The Lions only play once every four years.

If you want to spam, go to Sports Club (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=113804) :blink:

JPaul
03-17-2006, 10:39 PM
So let me get this right, vid wants to watch hawt burds jumping about on t'telly. Using this as a form of sexual gratification.

Whilst you want to watch double hard bastard sports with your mates, in the pub. Then go home and have a fulfilling adult love life with Mrs manker.

Are you a poove or something.

Busyman
03-18-2006, 12:50 AM
Nah, it's the real deal.

So an indvidual player would weigh that when deciding to play.Only in America.

Elsewhere, players are particularly proud to represent their country and would do it for nothing. Fact.

Owners and managers don't like it, they don't much over here either because it doesn't make the owners any money and the managers might end up with injured players - especially the foreign owners and managers. However, it's the friendlies they take issue with, not competitions.

Anyway, they don't participate - the players that play and the public that watch absolutely love it.

Over here, that is.
Only in America...maybe so. America has a different dynamic than the rest of the world. It's a little more "self-contained". Foreigners may talk bad about America 100x more than we may talk about them. Our daily grind is more a topic to others than vice-versa.

1. Fans of the individual sport will watch it's world competition counterpart.
However, they are less likely to watch that versus the country competition counterpart. Maybe the world competition would be watched more if our country was smaller. I dunno :idunno:

2. World competition holds less importance for our professional players than our league competition for obvious reasons. I only can speak on baseball and basketball. It could be the same for other major sports as well.

3. The players that play are proud to represent the country. There are individuals with ego problems that talk out the side of their neck. If you made the trip to play, stfu if you lose.(except when America lost to Russia in Olympic basketball, what a travesty)

On a side note, I heard on the radio on the way home that Roger Clemens is retiring and that the USA lost 2 to 1 to Mexico.

fkdup74
03-18-2006, 01:05 AM
http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/7235/bullshit7cm.png (http://imageshack.us)

I can't be f*cked going back and quoting anyone,
but I'd just like to point out that this^ isn't quite
the "B" roster that some would have you believe.

Granted, some of the best aren't there, but why?
Because they are on other teams, representing their countries.
Once all the Dominicans, Cubans, Puerto Ricans, etc. went to play for thier countries,
this is about what we had left.
Still, not too shabby of a roster.

re: motives of the players...
One may wonder what, if not pride, would compel someone to join international play.
Seeing as how the money's shit and all....
I haven't seen the report on the USA excusing themselves due to lack of motivation,
but if that's what they are saying, it's pathetic.

That's coming from a pissed American baseball fan.

manker
03-18-2006, 01:40 AM
Only in America.

Over here, that is.
Only in America...maybe so. America has a different dynamic than the rest of the world. It's a little more "self-contained". Foreigners may talk bad about America 100x more than we may talk about them. Our daily grind is more a topic to others than vice-versa.

1. Fans of the individual sport will watch it's world competition counterpart.
However, they are less likely to watch that versus the country competition counterpart. Maybe the world competition would be watched more if our country was smaller. I dunno :idunno:

2. World competition holds less importance for our professional players than our league competition for obvious reasons. I only can speak on baseball and basketball. It could be the same for other major sports as well.

3. The players that play are proud to represent the country. There are individuals with ego problems that talk out the side of their neck. If you made the trip to play, stfu if you lose.(except when America lost to Russia in Olympic basketball, what a travesty)

On a side note, I heard on the radio on the way home that Roger Clemens is retiring and that the USA lost 2 to 1 to Mexico.
I think you're painting a bad picture of Americans.

You're saying that American sport fans haven't as much national pride as people in the rest of the world.

I call bullshit.

I know more American people watched the Ryder Cup than they did when Tiger Woods wins a major. Your soccer team was watched by millions more when they got to the quarter finals of the WC in 2002 than any given game in the MLS.

This was the inaugural baseball World Cup, it hasn't found it's feet yet - bball hasn't been in the Olympics for long, football hasn't even got a national competition. Give it time.

A national team competition appeals to a MUCH wider audience than a domestic competition ever could. Americans are no different to anyone else and they WILL get behind their nation in droves, once they get used to it - just like they have with the Ryder Cup.

All your bluster about the US being insular and somehow 'different' to the rest of the world in this sense is rather derogatory. Americans are just as nationalistic in a sporting sense as anyone else.

Some of you just don't know it yet ;)

Proper Bo
03-18-2006, 01:42 AM
I saw wales won the table tennis today:dabs:

Busyman
03-18-2006, 02:00 AM
http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/7235/bullshit7cm.png (http://imageshack.us)

I can't be f*cked going back and quoting anyone,
but I'd just like to point out that this^ isn't quite
the "B" roster that some would have you believe.

Granted, some of the best aren't there, but why?
Because they are on other teams, representing their countries.
Once all the Dominicans, Cubans, Puerto Ricans, etc. went to play for thier countries,
this is about what we had left.
Still, not too shabby of a roster.

re: motives of the players...
One may wonder what, if not pride, would compel someone to join international play.
Seeing as how the money's shit and all....
I haven't seen the report on the USA excusing themselves due to lack of motivation,
but if that's what they are saying, it's pathetic.

That's coming from a pissed American baseball fan.
The words in bold speaks volumes.

As far as who didn't go, I just remember a number of A list players declining going. It might equate to what I thought about our basketball team. Sure the players were good....but they weren't our elite by any stretch.

I really can't comment too much on the roster since I'm not a fan and don't know the game as well as you do.

Mike Nelson
03-18-2006, 03:06 AM
I'm sure that when England got knocked out of their first World Cup by USA they used similiar weak-arsed excuses. The whiney cunts.

Disclaimer: I only read the second post.*

* Sort of.

Mike Nelson
03-18-2006, 03:45 AM
Oh yeah btw, welcome to our world. You invent a sport and then the rest of the world beats you at it. We invented all the good sports and all we have ever won is a world cup for each and some sort of egg cup with a bunch of ashes in it. :dabs:

Carcinus
03-18-2006, 03:48 AM
I can watch Aerobics Oz Style every morning, if I like.

Weirdly I watched this the other day whilst nursing a friend of mine who's just come out of hospital after having a knee op. He was drooling at the goyles whilst cursing them for being able to move. It was hilarious. But I guess you'd have had to have been there. :dabs:

manker
03-18-2006, 03:52 AM
Did you remember to set his TiVo.

Carcinus
03-18-2006, 03:53 AM
Did you remember to set his TiVo.

:glag:

Nope forgot. He's gonna kick my ass.

Mike Nelson
03-18-2006, 03:57 AM
Strangely our mate had a knee-op this very week but didn't have to take 18 weeks off work. Also he was able to come out to the pub, go to the bar for us (I was comfortable so I wasn't going) and chase after some druggie up and down some stairs. I think, maybe, that Busyman has been having us on.

Carcinus
03-18-2006, 04:00 AM
Strangely our mate had a knee-op this very week but didn't have to take 18 weeks off work. Also he was able to come out to the pub, go to the bar for us (I was comfortable so I wasn;t going) and chase after some druggie up and down some stairs. I think, maybe, that Busyman has been having us on.

Yeh but he went private to have his op. And got my expert medical care afterwards.

Busyman
03-18-2006, 04:28 AM
Strangely our mate had a knee-op this very week but didn't have to take 18 weeks off work. Also he was able to come out to the pub, go to the bar for us (I was comfortable so I wasn't going) and chase after some druggie up and down some stairs. I think, maybe, that Busyman has been having us on.
Yeah with my first ACL tear in my right knee I didn't have surgery at all and went back to playing b-ball.

With ACL and medial meniscus tear on my left knee all they did was repair (cut off the scar tissue) on my medial meniscus. When they went in they noticed I didn't have an ACL there. My recovery was super quick.

I was then playing ball with no ACLs.

This surgery though required them using cadaver meat to make a new ACL. Longer recovery time. I could've had it years ago but I felt fine. I was told 6 months before I could play cutting sports (soccer, basketball, football, tennis).

I think I'm going to just lift heavy weights on my legs and go back to doing long distance running and play b-ball next year. I'm using my exercise bike now and have already dropped weight. The only thing left is to buff up somore.

One day I might get a new ACL on my right knee (preferably around strike time:shifty: )

Busyman
03-18-2006, 04:33 AM
Strangely our mate had a knee-op this very week but didn't have to take 18 weeks off work. Also he was able to come out to the pub, go to the bar for us (I was comfortable so I wasn;t going) and chase after some druggie up and down some stairs. I think, maybe, that Busyman has been having us on.

Yeh but he went private to have his op. And got my expert medical care afterwards.
Yeah I have Kaiser Permanente. I still can't believe I didn't have to pay for this...
http://bracesupport.com/breg/cub1.jpghttp://bracesupport.com/breg/wrapknee.jpg
...for my knee. That or my crutches. Fuckin' sweet.

Busyman
03-18-2006, 04:41 AM
Oh yeah btw, welcome to our world. You invent a sport and then the rest of the world beats you at it. We invented all the good sports and all we have ever won is a world cup for each and some sort of egg cup with a bunch of ashes in it. :dabs:
I know folks like jump around when America does badly at something but jeez, America has lost in Olympic baseball a number of times. I think a coupla time they didn't even medal.

This is not something new.:ermm:

Chewie
03-18-2006, 07:27 AM
I'm tempted to move this thread to Sportsworld because it rather quickly became a serious debate.

As far as this mony>pride thing goes, I've got to agree it's bullshit.
Chest beating is part of American culture. Fact.

Oh, and thanks for the heads-up, JP :thumbsup:

Mike Nelson
03-18-2006, 09:18 AM
Cadaver meat?

Mike Nelson
03-18-2006, 09:21 AM
Oh yeah btw, welcome to our world. You invent a sport and then the rest of the world beats you at it. We invented all the good sports and all we have ever won is a world cup for each and some sort of egg cup with a bunch of ashes in it. :dabs: I know folks like jump around when America does badly at something but jeez, America has lost in Olympic baseball a number of times. I think a coupla time they didn't even medal.

On the bright side at least it wasn't a proper sport like soccer or rugby. :happy:

JPaul
03-18-2006, 09:26 AM

Are you suggesting that Americans can be triumphalist and may revel in international victory.:O

Busy has already told you that Americans care not one jot about the rest of the World and that international competition is of little moment. How dare you contradict a man who speaks for his entire nation. Shame on you.

Just look at Olympic track and field, do the Americans even send a team. Second rate or otherwise. I think not.

JPaul
03-18-2006, 09:41 AM
I know folks like jump around when America does badly at something but jeez, America has lost in Olympic baseball a number of times. I think a coupla time they didn't even medal.

On the bright side at least it wasn't a proper sport like soccer or rugby. :happy:
You're up early for a tax dodger. Do you have to go down t'Spar and read papers whilst drinking coffee or summat.

Mike Nelson
03-18-2006, 09:47 AM
On the bright side at least it wasn't a proper sport like soccer or rugby. :happy: You're up early for a tax dodger. Do you have to go down t'Spar and read papers whilst drinking coffee or summat.

I always wake up early after a night of drinking, I think it's just the hangover's way of lasting longer.

JPaul
03-18-2006, 09:48 AM
You're up early for a tax dodger. Do you have to go down t'Spar and read papers whilst drinking coffee or summat.

I always wake up early after a night of drinking, I think it's just the hangover's way of lasting longer.
It might be God's way of telling you you're a cunt.

Mike Nelson
03-18-2006, 09:53 AM
I always wake up early after a night of drinking, I think it's just the hangover's way of lasting longer. It might be God's way of telling you you're a cunt.

I suppose it's cheaper than hiring an angel or the whole burning bush thing. :dabs:

GepperRankins
03-18-2006, 10:05 AM
:dabs:

i think someone is ripping me off on youtube :01:

JPaul
03-18-2006, 10:05 AM
It might be God's way of telling you you're a cunt.

I suppose it's cheaper than hiring an angel or the whole burning bush thing. :dabs:
Modern times, modern methods. Sad but true.

JPaul
03-18-2006, 10:06 AM
:dabs:

i think someone is pulling me off on youtube :01:
tmi.:sick:

GepperRankins
03-18-2006, 10:07 AM
wrong fred. sorry

JPaul
03-18-2006, 10:10 AM
wrong fred. sorry
You're looking for the "Mastrubate on the interweb" thread.

Tikibonbon
03-18-2006, 01:08 PM

So, how is that whole "sun never set on the English empire" working out for you?

Mike Nelson
03-18-2006, 01:15 PM
Ah, the ever-lame "I know you are but what am I" comeback. :happy:

JPaul
03-18-2006, 01:23 PM

So, how is that whole "sun never set on the English empire" working out for you?
That was because it was a geographical fact. There was never a time of the day when there was no past of the British Empire in daylight.

I don't think that's the case anymore, hence us not saying it.

Busyman
03-18-2006, 03:29 PM
I'm tempted to move this thread to Sportsworld because it rather quickly became a serious debate.

Oh gawd.

Do you bother to read? I have already told you of a reason some players won't go to the Olympics, World Championship, or World Baseball Classic and now you've got that I have every American not going.

Quite obviously they go but again, for the hard of reading, Olympic basketball is a perfect example. If they all thought the internatonal chest beating was more important than money, all our elite players would go whereverthefuck and wipe the international floor every year. In the World Baseball Classic there would be no American baseball player saying he's not going 'cause he doesn't feel like it (or whatever excuse he makes up). We'd have the same elite basketball team every year. (other countries have one b-ball team made up of bascally the same players every year)

You don't hear an Olympic figure skater making excuses and guess what? Their Olympic appearance just happens to translate to endorsement money.
That is for them, their NBA Championship or their World Series.

So sure, Americans love flexing just like any other country. However, for some, money trumps I have bigger dick.

edit: Oh this has been a serious sports debate since page 1. I don't see the confusion. :dabs:

Busyman
03-18-2006, 03:36 PM

What makes a sport "proper"?

JPaul
03-18-2006, 03:39 PM

Oh gawd.

Do you bother to read? I have already told you of a reason some players won't go to the Olympics, World Championship, or World Baseball Classic and now you've got that I have every American not going.

Quite obviously they go but again, for the hard of reading, Olympic basketball is a perfect example. If they all thought the internatonal chest beating was more important than money, all our elite players would whereverthefuck and wipe the international floor every year. In the World Baseball Classic there would be no American baseball player saying he's not going 'cause he doesn't feel like it (or whatever excuse he makes up). We'd have the same elite basketball team every year. (other countries have one b-ball team made up of bascally the same players every year)

You don't hear an Olympic figure skater making excuses and guess what? Their Olympic appearance just happens to translate to endorsement money.
That is for them, their NBA Championship or their World Series.

So sure, Americans love flexing just like any other country. However, for some, money trumps I have bigger dick.

edit: Oh this has been a serious sports debate since page 1. I don't see the confusion. :dabs:

Everyone understands that you are saying money is the most important thing. No-one is arguing that is not the case for you, just that it's a very sad outlook on life.

It is however a theme with you. Like cheating your way into cinemas, stealing microwaves, planning your whole day around saving a few dollars. That's taking it to a "money = a God" level. The thing is you're proud about these things and actually boast about them on the interweb. You think others will be impressed, whereas it has exactly the opposite effect. It makes you come across as a bit of a pikey.

Mike Nelson
03-18-2006, 03:46 PM
On the bright side at least it wasn't a proper sport like soccer or rugby. :happy: What makes a sport "proper"?

Having a world tournament (eg the World Cup) where all the best players play for their respective countries. Players sans performance enhancing drugs helps as well.

JPaul
03-18-2006, 03:48 PM

Having a world tournament (eg the World Cup) where all the best players play for their respective countries. Players sans performance enhancing drugs helps as well.
Or a Royal Rumble

Mike Nelson
03-18-2006, 03:51 PM
Having a world tournament (eg the World Cup) where all the best players play for their respective countries. Players sans performance enhancing drugs helps as well. Or a Royal Rumble

A Mexican won that this year as well. :happy:

JPaul
03-18-2006, 04:01 PM
Or a Royal Rumble

A Mexican won that this year as well. :happy:
Rey Rey FTW

http://www.wrestlingzone.ru/gallery/mysterio/13.jpg

fkdup74
03-18-2006, 04:07 PM
I still can't believe I didn't have to pay for this...
http://bracesupport.com/breg/cub1.jpg

Is that some kinda fancy penis pump? :unsure:

MagicNakor
03-18-2006, 04:08 PM
Would've bet on him:

http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/d/drwagnerjr/01.jpg

:shuriken:

Busyman
03-18-2006, 04:36 PM

Oh like basketball but not rugby?

Busyman
03-18-2006, 04:37 PM
I still can't believe I didn't have to pay for this...
http://bracesupport.com/breg/cub1.jpg

Is that some kinda fancy penis pump? :unsure:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mike Nelson
03-18-2006, 04:42 PM
Having a world tournament (eg the World Cup) where all the best players play for their respective countries. Players sans performance enhancing drugs helps as well. Oh like basketball but not rugby?
What? Explain.

JPaul
03-18-2006, 04:45 PM
What? Explain.
This'll be good.

Busyman
03-18-2006, 06:14 PM
What? Explain.
Oh I was just wondering how basketball doesn't have international competition is all....that and baseball.

JPaul
03-18-2006, 06:33 PM
What? Explain.
Oh I was just wondering how basketball doesn't have international competition is all....that and baseball.
Nah, it wasn't very good. Pretty rubbish actually.

Cheese
03-18-2006, 11:52 PM
Did all the best players turn up?

sArA
03-19-2006, 12:32 AM
Not in this thread...

JPaul
03-19-2006, 12:37 AM
Not in this thread...
:blink:

Cheese
03-19-2006, 12:40 AM
Not in this thread...

Oi, stop spamming this serious thread.:O

sArA
03-19-2006, 12:49 AM
Not in this thread...

:shutup:

JPaul
03-19-2006, 12:51 AM
Not in this thread...

Listen to the man, he's a genious.

Chewie
03-19-2006, 09:24 AM

Oh gawd.

Do you bother to read? ...I have read what you say, and I think it's bullshit to say that all American professional sportsmen/women hold the dollar in higher esteem than they do national pride.

edit: Oh this has been a serious sports debate since page 1. I don't see the confusion. :dabs:OK, moved to Sports Club.

JPaul
03-19-2006, 09:54 AM
/closed
That's a bit harsh.

hobbes
03-19-2006, 03:01 PM

Nothing like the excitement of pre-season baseball, in which nothing was at stake anyway.

As a baseball fan, I can't say I watched a single pitch.

This exhibition is just a way to drum up excitement for the wee countries about baseball and a good way for American scouts to find fresh meat.

The best players are largely from impoverished Latin American countries who see baseball as a way out. They grow up in a culture motivated by the American dream (money) and exhibit great pride when they can finally give their meager homelands some big ups' on a global scale.

American baseball is already an international game, just like hockey. Albert Pujols is my favorite player as he is a St. Louis Cardinal, but he is playing for the Dominican Republic. I don't care that he is from the D.R., but he sure does.

When this thing is over, all the good players will return to America and begin Spring Training.

Busyman
03-19-2006, 03:53 PM
Nothing like the excitement of pre-season baseball, in which nothing was at stake anyway.
What would be at stake?

I also still think that the players should STFU about not taking it seriously because they lost. It just doesn't sound right.

----------
On a side note, anyone notice how this thread got personal when it was supposed to be about baseball?:unsure:

JPaul
03-19-2006, 05:58 PM
On a side note, anyone notice how this thread got personal when it was supposed to be about baseball?:unsure:
Yeah, I wondered why you did that.

hobbes
03-19-2006, 06:01 PM
What would be at stake?

I also still think that the players should STFU about not taking it seriously because they lost. It just doesn't sound right.

----------

Pride was supposedly at stake, but I don't think most people viewed it as a legimitate event, more of an exhibition.

We are all watching March Madness, which is, to me, the best sporting event of the year. I say this even though my team didn't even make the 64 team roster.

Busyman
03-19-2006, 06:11 PM
What would be at stake?

----------

Pride was supposedly at stake, but I don't think most people viewed it as a legimitate event, more of an exhibition.

We are all watching March Madness, which is, to me, the best sporting event of the year. I say this even though my team didn't even make the 64 team roster.
I think A Rod and Derek Jeter lost more pride when they lost to the Red Sox in the World Series than losing in World Baseball Classic.:ermm:

Of course never discount a foreigner, any foreigner, from jumping at the chance to badmouth America. I'm never surprised.:happy:

Oh same here, I've been rooting for my local teams, Georgetown, George Mason, and George Washington. I did see some "highlights" of the WBC on Sportcenter though. When I heard we beat South Africa 17 - 0, I didn't think that was so great though. This is coming from a basketball fan, however.

This is a great March Madness so far! I've got one more week 'till I go back to work. I'm hoping to get some tickets when the tourney moves to DC.

hobbes
03-19-2006, 09:23 PM

I think A Rod and Derek Jeter lost more pride when they lost to the Red Sox in the World Series than losing in World Baseball Classic.:ermm:

Of course never discount a foreigner, any foreigner, from jumping at the chance to badmouth America. I'm never surprised.:happy:

Oh same here, I've been rooting for my local teams, Georgetown, George Mason, and George Washington. I did see some "highlights" of the WBC on Sportcenter though. When I heard we beat South Africa 17 - 0, I didn't think that was so great though. This is coming from a basketball fan, however.

This is a great March Madness so far! I've got one more week 'till I go back to work. I'm hoping to get some tickets when the tourney moves to DC.

George Mason? George Mason?

Congrats BM, knocking of the tarheels

Busyman
03-19-2006, 09:26 PM

George Mason? George Mason?

Congrats BM, knocking of the tarheels
Friggin' sweet.:D Great game!!

Busyman
03-21-2006, 02:55 AM
Damn, the WBC Championship game is great so far and it's only the first inning!!

Japan is beating Cuba 4 - 1. 2 outs on Cuba. Cuba got a HR for their only score.

Busyman
03-21-2006, 05:59 AM
Japan wins 10 - 6

I bet no one expected that.