PDA

View Full Version : Which is best Video Lan or Classic Media - Update

digmen1
03-19-2006, 06:29 PM
Hi Guys

Six months ago I asked on these boards which of these two apps was the best media player for playing videos and video clips.

Video Lan or Classic Media player. Based on the fact that I did not want to use Windows Media (bloated) Player.

I got lots of replies about 50/50 for Video Lan and Classic Media Player. Many of you like Video Lan as you did not need to install and muck around with Codecs. Many of you you preferred the quality output of Classic Media Player.

I would like to report that after a few weeks of going through some music videos and some short celebrity video clips etc that both of these apps have limitations.

Quite a few clips would play jerkily or with with poor sound quality with one of these apps. Then if I treid the other app, the clip might play smoothly but still with poor sound or vice versa.

The upsetting thing for me was when I tried the same clip with Windows Media Player the clips played perfectly !

So to me this means that both Video Lan and Classic Media player have some work to do. I will check my latest versions of these, but they are fairly recent.

(I assume that if a codec is installed and available to Windows Media Player it is available to Classic Media pleyer)

Any comments ?

Regards

Digby
NZ

Damnatory
03-19-2006, 09:27 PM
Of those two I would have to say VideoLAN, however I recommend BSPlayer, as it combines both the compatibility of VideoLAN, and a great visual style.

digmen1
03-21-2006, 08:01 AM
Thanks, but it would be great to get some more feedback (and some answers to my questions)

Regards

Digby

wilkcards
03-21-2006, 08:06 AM
I like media center classic myself. Mostly because of the retro look, I guess.

Guillaume
03-21-2006, 11:03 AM
I like videolan.
Its only downside is it can't play Real media files, but who still uses that anwyay?

{I}{K}{E}
03-21-2006, 11:03 AM
i always use MPC

100%
03-21-2006, 06:56 PM
is it not tot true that with videolan you dont need to install codecs?
whereas with mpc you do (however it then plays .movs)
?

JPaul
03-21-2006, 07:02 PM
I like videolan.
Its only downside is it can't play Real media files, but who still uses that anwyay?
Seconded.

Skillian
03-21-2006, 07:12 PM
I still like Zoom Player, just for it's huge amount of options and ease of use.

VideoLAN is kind of a fall back if something won't play in anything else, which is not very often.

dodgy368
03-21-2006, 11:22 PM
MPC for me, haven't got a problem with installing codecs.

VLC as a back up.

lightshow
03-22-2006, 12:00 AM
I used to be hardcore VLC fan, but after seeing the vast array of options that using different codec packs can give me, I've switched to Media Player Classic.

But amazingly, Xbox Media Center's vast array of features really kills the other two. I'm very impressed by it.

Busyman
03-22-2006, 03:32 AM
I used to be hardcore VLC fan, but after seeing the vast array of options that using different codec packs can give me, I've switched to Media Player Classic.

But amazingly, Xbox Media Center's vast array of features really kills the other two. I'm very impressed by it.
Agreed. I play all my files on XBMC.

digmen1
03-22-2006, 06:11 PM

Thanks guys

How does having different codec packs give you a vast array of options ?

I would have thought that either a file plays well or it does not. What options can there be ?

Regards

Digby

twisterX
03-25-2006, 02:54 AM
K-Lite codec pack > Any other and since MPC comes with it i chosse MPC. :P

digmen1
03-25-2006, 05:52 AM
Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies.

But you are missing the point of my post. What I am saying is that both Video Lan and Classic Media PLayer will not play all of my video files, yet annoyingly Windows Media Player does !

So one still cannot do without WMP. So Video Lan and Classic Media Player still need working on.

Regards

Digby

twisterX
03-25-2006, 06:53 AM
Maybe somethings wrong with your codecs. It should play everywhere the same.