PDA

View Full Version : What speeds should i be getting?

shadowd
03-20-2006, 02:42 PM
Hi all, I'm new to newsgroups and I'd just like to know what download speeds I should be getting. I've had a trial at newsdemon.com and am currently using usenetserver.com on both of these servers i couldn't download much faster than 700KB/s. I'm on a 12Mbps cable connection, is this maxing out my connection or should I be able to get higher speeds?

Thanks

Guyanese_Bai
03-20-2006, 03:09 PM
damm i would love 700 KB/s, all i get is between 250-350 KB/S but Im on a cable connection upto 3Mbps... I think u should be getting more then that though.

Chewie
03-20-2006, 03:55 PM
To max out a 12Mb/s connection you'd need to download at 1.5MB/s.
I don't know what software you are using, but I use NewsbinPro, which can open multiple connections to the same server in order to maximise bandwidth.

shadowd
03-20-2006, 04:01 PM
I'm using NewsBinPro and i've set it to 10 connections which is the most usenetserver.com allow.

JPaul
03-21-2006, 09:33 PM
Are you using a wireless connection. That may limit your speeds, depending on what version it is.

I have 10Mb/S and would expect to average over 1MB/S

That's with a pre-N wireless router and a Wireless-g adaptor on the PC.

T0TAL-RECALL
03-21-2006, 09:53 PM
Im using a wireless router and its not effected my speeds...

Before I had wireless network I got 250/300KB on my 2mb connectin and I still get that speed.

Defo think somethings blocking your full speed... Check ports if your using a router and also check your AV to see if its effecting. Mine effects USENET dl s I turn if off just while I dl.

erRor67
03-22-2006, 12:23 AM
if your newsgroups allow connecting on a different port than default port try that since your ISP might be limiting speeds on the default usenet port.

shadowd
03-22-2006, 07:26 AM
I'm not using a wireless connection or a router.

If i change ports to my newserver while I'm downloading does it instantly change over? Because if it does I've gone through all the ports supported by my newsserver while downloading with no increase in speed.

T0TAL-RECALL what do you mean by AV?

Thanks for the responses

Guyanese_Bai
03-22-2006, 11:37 AM
i think he means anti virus software

T0TAL-RECALL
03-22-2006, 12:09 PM
i think he means anti virus software

Yes.. AV Anti Virus

I use Avast and since it checks files as they ownload it limits my speed to about 100KB at intervals so I switch it off during dl then I scan once its finishes but I have never in 4yrs got a virus using newsgroups.

shadowd
03-23-2006, 01:50 PM
Just found out it had nothing to do with usenet. After a lot of reading on different forums I found out that Ethernet connections from the modem to PC are quicker than usb so i changed my connection to Ethernet. Been getting speeds of 1+MB/s so I'm happy now.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

JPaul
03-23-2006, 09:15 PM
Just found out it had nothing to do with usenet. After a lot of reading on different forums I found out that Ethernet connections from the modem to PC are quicker than usb so i changed my connection to Ethernet. Been getting speeds of 1+MB/s so I'm happy now.

Thanks for the suggestions though.
Good man, thanks for letting us know you fixed it. The other thing is that the USB has an overhead on your PC and slows that down a bit as well, so the dedicated ethernet port is definitely the better option. The only reason for use of USB is ease of set up.