PDA

View Full Version : Avatars

JPaul
03-21-2006, 04:38 PM
Do you think that the avatar a person uses affects how you think about them, or how you react to their posts. Or do you never look at them so it has no affect on you.

Mycroft Holmes
03-21-2006, 04:51 PM
People with arses for avatars are often arses and people with breasts for avatars are often tits.

Proper Bo
03-21-2006, 04:55 PM
Do you think that the avatar a person uses affects how you think about them, or how you react to their posts. Or do you never look at them so it has no affect on you.

Yes.

Wolfmight
03-21-2006, 04:59 PM
Avatars are too small to reflect an entire person.

JPaul
03-21-2006, 05:02 PM
Avatars are too small to reflect an entire person.
I was thinking of it more as a "first impressions" kind of thing. They say that first impressions are very important. I just wondered if, subconsciously, the avatar influenced how we read the other persons post and hence meaning.

Barbarossa
03-21-2006, 05:09 PM
Sometimes.

Usually, the avatar is just a quick visual reference as to who is posting, without having to read their name.

I'm envious of people who's avatars have become synonymous with their identity, such as your Quincy.

Pinhead suits me just fine. I like the sneer.

JPaul
03-21-2006, 05:13 PM
Sometimes.

Usually, the avatar is just a quick visual reference as to who is posting, without having to read their name.

I'm envious of people who's avatars have become synonymous with their identity, such as your Quincy.

Good post, poor rod.

I was more thinking of drawing a conclusion based on the avatar they see. I suspect that would be entirely subconcious, so not really drawing a conclusion per se.

e.g. a new member may read your posts as being more aggresive than you intend them to be, simply because of the image which accompanies them. Like a subliminal advertising type thing.

GepperRankins
03-21-2006, 05:14 PM
i always imagine columbo or whichever tv detective it is reading JP's posts. and lilmiss reading dorisinsinuates :dabs:

do you imagine a sri lankan rapper woman reading mine? :unsure:

JPaul
03-21-2006, 05:20 PM
i always imagine columbo or whichever tv detective it is reading JP's posts. and lilmiss reading dorisinsinuates :dabs:

do you imagine a sri lankan rapper woman reading mine? :unsure:
No, but I don't imagine anyone reading anyone's posts. In any case, your avatar looks fairly neutral to me and is unlikely to affect how I perceive your posts. Save that it may make them seem a wee bit more bland.

Proper Bo
03-21-2006, 05:21 PM
so the union jack in mine means i'm a nazi?:blink:

Barbarossa
03-21-2006, 05:21 PM
Sometimes.

Good post, poor rod.

I was more thinking of drawing a conclusion based on the avatar they see. I suspect that would be entirely subconcious, so not really drawing a conclusion per se.

e.g. a new member may read your posts as being more aggresive than you intend them to be, simply because of the image which accompanies them. Like a subliminal advertising type thing.

:schnauz:

I'm convinced that MagicNakor really is a wizard, and Lynx really is a muppet, so I guess you're right. :)

Also, for ages I thought Sara looked like Xev. :w00t:

JPaul
03-21-2006, 05:23 PM
so the union jack in mine means i'm a nazi?:blink:
Not a nazi, no. However it does come across rather aggresively, based on the highjacking of the Union Flag by the extreme right wing, football hooligans etc. Tell me, was that your intent.

Barbarossa
03-21-2006, 05:24 PM
I suppose my avatar combined with my sig does make me look aggressive! :o

never thought about that before. :(

Proper Bo
03-21-2006, 05:27 PM
so the union jack in mine means i'm a nazi?:blink: Not a nazi, no. However it does come across rather aggresively, based on the highjacking of the Union Flag by the extreme right wing, football hooligans etc. Tell me, was that your intent.

rod?

It's a band's logo (ironically, skins who sing alot about football)

P.S Not right wing

JPaul
03-21-2006, 05:27 PM
I suppose my avatar combined with my sig does make me look aggressive! :o

never thought about that before. :(
I don't think anyone who knows you would be affected, other than at the most subliminal level. However that can be quite important.

As for new(ish) members, they may take you at face value.

JPaul
03-21-2006, 05:30 PM
Not a nazi, no. However it does come across rather aggresively, based on the highjacking of the Union Flag by the extreme right wing, football hooligans etc. Tell me, was that your intent.

rod?

It's a band's logo (ironically, skins who sing alot about football)

P.S Not right wing
It's not really your intent I'm talking about, I thought I got that across. It's how you may be perceived by others.

More importantly the negative effect the image may have, out of the corner of their eye, as people read your posts.

For example I had no idea it related to a band, so what I see is a Union Flag, which to me now has negative imagery. What you intended when you chose it is of little moment to me or any other reader.

Proper Bo
03-21-2006, 05:32 PM
Maybe I intended it to be misinterpreted for comedic value:smilie4:

JPaul
03-21-2006, 05:37 PM
Maybe I intended it to be misinterpreted for comedic value:smilie4:
Maybe so, however again it's not really your intent I'm interested in. More the actual effect it has on how people perceive your posts.

Another example, Busyman has a gun firing. Does that make other people get the message that he is more aggresive than he actually is. Thus (again subconsciously) reading his posts in a more aggressive manner than he actually intends them.

Barbarossa
03-21-2006, 05:39 PM
Skizo has George Bush as an avatar, does that make other people perceive him as being a buffoon?

JPaul
03-21-2006, 05:41 PM
Skizo has George Bush as an avatar, does that make other people perceive him as being a buffoon?
It may very well for some people, or a figure of derision.

I say again, I suspect that there may be more to this than conscious value judgements.

Barbarossa
03-21-2006, 05:43 PM
I just felt like using the word "buffoon". It was enjoyable. :)

JPaul
03-21-2006, 05:47 PM
I just felt like using the word "buffoon". It was enjoyable. :)
Actually it's a good point.

I think some people (like me) would take that as badinage. Whereas others may have taken it as a sarcastic pop at Skizo.

I know that this decision will mostly be based on past experience, however to what extent was that past experience based on first impresssions.

Gripper
03-21-2006, 05:52 PM
I think yours suits JPaul as you are very anylitical and just like Columbo you eventually get to the point.

Skillian
03-21-2006, 05:53 PM
I'm keeping my eye on Skizo... :shifty:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/skillian/bush-combine.gif

JPaul
03-21-2006, 05:54 PM
I think yours suits JPaul as you are very anylitical and just like Columbo you eventually get to the point.
I'm going to take that post as a compliment, tho' I'm not entirely sure there wasn't a wee barb in it.

JPaul
03-21-2006, 05:55 PM

Yours really is rather sinister, I don't see how it wouldn't have some effect on your readers.

manker
03-21-2006, 06:36 PM
My avatar was designed specifically to confuse merkins. Which it does, bitch!

GepperRankins
03-21-2006, 06:39 PM

Yours really is rather sinister, I don't see how it wouldn't have some effect on your readers.
:smilie4:

i know that it's a character out of a game, so like. i can't imagine it having an effect other than saying he's a fan of half life 2

Gripper
03-21-2006, 06:40 PM
I thought Geppers was a zombie or something

JPaul
03-21-2006, 06:42 PM
Yours has a feel of friendly pop rather than a sarcastic dig. That of course is on a conscious, analytical level

For me it doesn't evoke any strong emotional response. I wonder if it does for anyone else, consciously or subconsciously.

JPaul
03-21-2006, 06:44 PM
:smilie4:

i know that it's a character out of a game, so like. i can't imagine it having an effect other than saying he's a fan of half life 2
I return you to the point I made earlier. I had no idea it was a character from a game. So all I get is the image, in isolation. To me it's a sinister image.

It's back to what you intended, as compared to what I perceived.

RealitY
03-21-2006, 07:03 PM
Most have little or no effect being neutral with an occasional that suits the poster and creates a package.
This is the only time I think an av affects my perception of any posts...

JPaul
03-21-2006, 07:09 PM
Most have little or no effect being neutral with an occasional that suits the poster and creates a package.
So you don't think there may be any sub-conscious element. A subliminal preconception based on your own personal prejudices with regard to negative symbolism attached to an image, or person.

RealitY
03-21-2006, 07:18 PM
So you don't think there may be any sub-conscious element. A subliminal preconception based on your own personal prejudices with regard to negative symbolism attached to an image, or person.
The only thing I see is a quick referance to the poster as mentioned so as to not having to read the name. Those whose av are well chosen to fit thier posting style just have created a better package so in short no...

JPaul
03-21-2006, 07:21 PM
The only thing I see is a quick referance to the poster as mentioned so as to not having to read the name. Those whose av are well chosen to fit thier posting style just have created a better package so in short no...
Fair point, I wasn't really saying that it was one way or the other. I just wanted to put the notion across to see if there was any validity in it.

Do you think however that it may have an effect on newer members. Using Barbie's avatar as an obvious example. Will people who don't know him read it as being more aggressive, simply because of that.

RealitY
03-21-2006, 07:27 PM
Fair point, I wasn't really saying that it was one way or the other. I just wanted to put the notion across to see if there was any validity in it.

Do you think however that it may have an effect on newer members. Using Barbie's avatar as an obvious example. Will people who don't know him read it as being more aggressive, simply because of that.
If theyre excitable perhaps...

JPaul
03-21-2006, 07:29 PM

:lol:

Indeed.

RealitY
03-21-2006, 07:31 PM

Indeed.
Think smileys have more affect as Ive learned...

manker
03-21-2006, 07:32 PM
Yours has a feel of friendly pop rather than a sarcastic dig. That of course is on a conscious, analytical level

For me it doesn't evoke any strong emotional response. I wonder if it does for anyone else, consciously or subconsciously.I started using it on a different forum. I was a mod and we did a fantasy football thing. About 25% of the players were American. The fantasy football game took over the whole forum and in the end the forum was devoted exclusively to footie.

To a man, the Americans were rubbish at getting their transfers, team changes and injury swaps to me on time. So I got one of the blokes to make me this avatar as a parody of the, then popliar, American Idol.

I like it so I use it here even tho' it has no relevance at all.

Or does it :shifty:

DorisInsinuate
03-21-2006, 08:08 PM

Indeed.
Think smileys have more affect as Ive learned...
This is true.

Dicktwat :angry:

:)

JPaul
03-21-2006, 08:53 PM

For me it doesn't evoke any strong emotional response. I wonder if it does for anyone else, consciously or subconsciously.I started using it on a different forum. I was a mod and we did a fantasy football thing. About 25% of the players were American. The fantasy football game took over the whole forum and in the end the forum was devoted exclusively to footie.

To a man, the Americans were rubbish at getting their transfers, team changes and injury swaps to me on time. So I got one of the blokes to make me this avatar as a parody of the, then popliar, American Idol.

I like it so I use it here even tho' it has no relevance at all.

Or does it :shifty:

Given the content of that post, it becomes even more obvious that the intent is as a friendly pop rather than a sarcastic dig. It was aimed a chums with a common interest. Even if they weren't very good at it.

manker
03-21-2006, 09:00 PM
Indeed. I was demonstrating just how very perceptive you were with your previous.

JPaul
03-21-2006, 09:02 PM
Indeed. I was demonstrating just how very perceptive you were with your previous.
You're a good guy, you just seem a bit harsh to people who don't know you. I would bet pound notes against pinches of shit that you are exactly the same down the pub with your mates.

Oh and suffering fools gladly is not a strong point. You might want to work on that.

Damnatory
03-21-2006, 10:10 PM
I was thinking of it more as a "first impressions" kind of thing.
I certainly hope no one thinks I'm a whore. :ermm: :(

I don't really think anyone views your Avatar as offensive Manker, though it really does add to one's perception of the persona you display on this forum.

JPaul
03-21-2006, 10:21 PM
I was thinking of it more as a "first impressions" kind of thing.
though it really does add to one's perception of the persona you display on this forum.
I take it then that you agree with the premise in the other thread. That the avatar may (consciously, or subconsciously) effect how readers perceive posts.

Damnatory
03-21-2006, 10:31 PM
I take it then that you agree with the premise in the other thread. That the avatar may (consciously, or subconsciously) effect how readers perceive posts.
On a subliminal level I would have to agree, more so for the fact that in any case the avatar selection is chosen based on the users personal interests, so in some subconscious way it it reflects their own personality.

My avatar reflects my willingness to be as offensive as possible, without overstepping someone else's personal boundries, as I'm in a sense calling my self a whore. Which in itself is offensive to some, but how can someone other than myself take offence to how I refer to myself?

JPaul
03-21-2006, 10:38 PM
On a subliminal level I would have to agree, more so for the fact that in any case the avatar selection is chosen based on the users personal interests, so in some subconscious way it it reflects their own personality.

My avatar reflects my willingness to be as offensive as possible, without overstepping someone else's personal boundries, as I'm in a sense calling my self a whore. Which in itself is offensive to some, but how can someone other than myself take offence to how I refer to myself?
I see what you mean, with regard to this thread. Good points, well made.

However in the other thread it's more about how other people may react to you, based on your avatar, regardless of your motivation for chosing it. Based on their own pre-conceptions and prejudices.

manker
03-21-2006, 11:06 PM
I don't really think anyone views your Avatar as offensive Manker, though it really does add to one's perception of the persona you display on this forum.
I never thought they would - no-one even knew what it meant until I just explained, so how could they.

Maybe I'd previously told rossco, actually, but that's not important right now.

Tempestv
03-21-2006, 11:38 PM
it all depends- first impressions are not built just around the avatar. the user name, sig, and the first couple posts that you read all make a difference. this means that first impressions can be different just because of what posts a user read first.

RealitY
03-22-2006, 02:54 AM
Hope tis int the fost post a n00b reeds of moine...

JPaul
03-22-2006, 01:55 PM
it all depends- first impressions are not built just around the avatar. the user name, sig, and the first couple posts that you read all make a difference. this means that first impressions can be different just because of what posts a user read first.
I agree. So in essence you may like someone, or dislike them based simply on the coincidence of which few of their posts you happen to read first. Allied to the other factors you mentioned obviously.

Which may then lead to you putting a negative spin on subsequent posts. Thus re-inforcing your opinion of the author.