PDA

View Full Version : Veal and the like.

JPaul
03-21-2006, 05:07 PM
Now I'm no vegetarian, I'm a dedicated meat eater. However is there any justification for eating things like veal. Do we really need to eat them that young, or is the fact that some people enjoy the particular taste justification enough.

GepperRankins
03-21-2006, 05:12 PM
:dabs: never tried it. meat kinda owns though and um... i could live on just chicken like :dabs:

wait, what was my point? oh yeah, i'm as undecided as you :unsure:

Barbarossa
03-21-2006, 05:14 PM
I refused to eat veal on holiday. Wifey thought I was being ridiculous until I explained to her how they made it. :sick:

I also refuse to eat battery-hen eggs. It's a small gesture I know.

Proper Bo
03-21-2006, 05:26 PM
how exactly is veal made?

JPaul
03-21-2006, 05:32 PM
how exactly is veal made?
I don't know if this is totally accurate

http://www.britishmeat.com/veal.html

but you get the idea.

DorisInsinuate
03-21-2006, 05:54 PM
Ewww, that cow looks like it's shit itself to death, if that's what makes veal I can't see the appeal.

I don't think I've ever been to a place that serves veal. The poshest restaurant I've been to is Wimpy's.

JPaul
03-21-2006, 05:56 PM
See that's my point, can we justify treating an animal like that, simply because some people may like the particular taste.

Gripper
03-21-2006, 05:57 PM
Its supposed to be mega tender,but I will skip it.
Also I will not eat Horse

JPaul
03-21-2006, 05:59 PM
Is that because of the whole, horse = man's best friend thing, or is there another reason.

DorisInsinuate
03-21-2006, 06:00 PM
Elaborate, please.

Gripper
03-21-2006, 06:37 PM
Horses have a gleam of intelligence in their eyes,whereas most food animals are stupid,they live to feed us,simple really.

JPaul
03-21-2006, 06:49 PM
Horses have a gleam of intelligence in their eyes,whereas most food animals are stupid,they live to feed us,simple really.
So, do you think we should do whatever we want to them, purely as a matter of taste, as opposed to nutrition.

Gripper
03-21-2006, 06:53 PM
No I'm against what they do to calves to make Veal,food animals should be treated well,up to the point where they are executed,that should be done in the most humane way possible with as little stress and suffering caused to the animal as possible.

JPaul
03-21-2006, 06:56 PM
No I'm against what they do to calves to make Veal,food animals should be treated well,up to the point where they are executed,that should be done in the most humane way possible with as little stress and suffering caused to the animal as possible.
I agree.

The idea of treating an animal in such a manner, simply because it will get you more tender meat is barbaric.

Barbarossa
03-22-2006, 09:38 AM
It's illegal in the UK isn't it? :unsure:

Carcinus
03-22-2006, 10:38 AM
It's illegal in the UK isn't it? :unsure:

In the UK the use of veal crates was banned in the 90s due to pressure from animal rights group. Farmers were still able to export calfs to Europe for the veal industry. This was banned in 1996, not because of the cruelty issue, but because of BSE. The export ban has just been lifted after 10 years (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4784852.stm). The ban cost the farming industry nearly 700 million pounds.

Veal exports were the subject of heavy animal rights protests both because of the appauling travel conditions suffered by the animals, the fate they would eventually suffer and because British farmers were using a loophole in the law to continue to support a cruel but lucritive industry.

The protests were so disruptive to port operations that even the port authorities supported the ban of veal exports to help prevent the chaos that ensued whenever a veal truck tried to pass through. The death of a protester, crushed under the wheels of a veal truck, in 1995 supported this.
Protests are expected to resume as exports are re-commenced.

All in the name of tender white meat. If that's what you're looking for, why not eat chicken instead of beef.

Tempestv
03-22-2006, 10:55 AM
white beef= not right

besides the fact that the animal is pretty much tortured, do you want a cut of beef that is loaded with even more chemicals that corperate beef already is? My family raises our own beef simply because it is better beef with less chemicals.

JPaul
03-22-2006, 01:33 PM
white beef= not right

besides the fact that the animal is pretty much tortured, do you want a cut of beef that is loaded with even more chemicals that corperate beef already is? My family raises our own beef simply because it is better beef with less chemicals.
Do you have a farm / smallholding. I'm interested to find out what people within the farming industry think of veal production.

Mr. Mulder
03-22-2006, 01:38 PM
never had Veal but from what ive seen from that south park ep about it, Michael Dorn rawks ( :smilie4: ) and also it was pretty ghey what they did to those small cows :dabs:

Tempestv
03-22-2006, 03:31 PM
white beef= not right

Do you have a farm / smallholding. I'm interested to find out what people within the farming industry think of veal production.
my parents have twenty acres and about 6 cows that calve every year. we usually keep the steers about two years, then butcher one steer, which we sell 3/4 of and keep a quarter beef. the other steers get sold at auction where they would generally end up in stock yards in nebraska to get fattened more on growth hormones and corn before being slaughtered. I am not really "in" the the farming industry- we just started raising cows because we wanted one a year to butcher, but over time by keeping the heifers we have kinda built up a herd, so we might as well sell the extra steers. my college tuition this semester is being payed by selling a couple steers. all I can tell you about veal is that when I think of a nice steak, the color white doesn't come to mind.

JPaul
03-22-2006, 03:52 PM
my parents have twenty acres and about 6 cows that calve every year. we usually keep the steers about two years, then butcher one steer, which we sell 3/4 of and keep a quarter beef. the other steers get sold at auction where they would generally end up in stock yards in nebraska to get fattened more on growth hormones and corn before being slaughtered. I am not really "in" the the farming industry- we just started raising cows because we wanted one a year to butcher, but over time by keeping the heifers we have kinda built up a herd, so we might as well sell the extra steers. my college tuition this semester is being payed by selling a couple steers. all I can tell you about veal is that when I think of a nice steak, the color white doesn't come to mind.
That's a cool idea. You get meat you know exactly how it was reared, the animals can live a "free range" natural life and it pays for your education.

Tempestv
03-22-2006, 04:00 PM
plus the meat tastes better IMO

JPaul
03-22-2006, 04:03 PM
Indeed another very good point. You can buy meat reared that way in the UK. However it is understandably a lot more expensive than factory farmed. The same goes for chicken, pork, eggs etc.

Tempestv
03-22-2006, 04:20 PM
Indeed another very good point. You can buy meat reared that way in the UK. However it is understandably a lot more expensive than factory farmed. The same goes for chicken, pork, eggs etc.
ya, we raise chickens for meat and eggs, along with pork, plus we know some organic farmers that we barter with for turkey, milk, cheese, ect. all in the name of better food.

JPaul
03-22-2006, 04:34 PM
ya, we raise chickens for meat and eggs, along with pork, plus we know some organic farmers that we barter with for turkey, milk, cheese, ect. all in the name of better food.
Is this as as sideline as opposed to main income for your parents.

Skiz
03-22-2006, 04:49 PM
What's the difference? Cattle are bred to be slaughtered and used as sustenance. What's the difference if they're killed young or old?

JPaul
03-22-2006, 04:58 PM
What's the difference? Cattle are bred to be slaughtered and used as sustenance. What's the difference if they're killed young or old?
It's not just about the age, it's about how they are treated just to give meat of a certain flavour / texture.

Click the link provided earlier if you don't know how veal is made.

Tempestv
03-22-2006, 05:00 PM

for me anyways, when cattle are kept in the veal pens it is rediculessly unhealty, which means that they need considerably more antibotics and other chemicals to stay alive. all those chemicals get passed on to you when you eat the meat.

Tempestv
03-22-2006, 05:02 PM
nope, all in the name of better food
my dad is a Carpendar and my mom is a Research Scientist for the Montana Agricultural Research Center.

Carcinus
03-22-2006, 05:04 PM

We have a duty of care to minimise suffering in animals we are going to eat and do not need to inflict unnecessary pain on them. Rearing animals well. feeding them decent food, giving them a good life and a humane death, fulfills this duty of care, and makes for better meat.

JPaul
03-22-2006, 05:05 PM
nope, all in the name of better food
my dad is a Carpendar and my mom is a Research Scientist for the Montana Agricultural Research Center.
I really think that's fantastic. They are to be congratulated, particularly if it funds your education as well. I've posted a torrent you might like in the Avatar thread. On the assumption that you might use bittorrent.