PDA

View Full Version : Why did you choose your Avatar.

JPaul
03-21-2006, 05:40 PM
Mine was because I wanted to portray a certain image. A self-deprecating curmudgeon. Who's not really like that underneath it all.

Oh and a Celtic supporter.

Barbarossa
03-21-2006, 05:41 PM
Mine was because I wanted people to stop calling me Barbara, so I wanted to come across as being a double-hard bastard. :dabs:

GepperRankins
03-21-2006, 05:43 PM
i stole ziggys idea of putting my currently listening to album as my avatar, and got bored after half a turn

JPaul
03-21-2006, 05:48 PM
Mine was because I wanted people to stop calling me Barbara, so I wanted to come across as being a double-hard bastard. :dabs:
As I recall it worked.

Gripper
03-21-2006, 05:54 PM
Haven't found one to settle on yet,I am quite fickle.
P'raps some one could make me one loike Guyver did with my sig?

JPaul
03-21-2006, 05:58 PM
Haven't found one to settle on yet,I am quite fickle.
P'raps some one could make me one loike Guyver did with my sig?
I can't, however if you could chose what would you have in it.

Perhaps you're someone who won't stick with the same thing. Chebus changes his on a regular basis.

enoughfakefiles
03-21-2006, 05:58 PM
Mine just popped into my head. I try to change it often as the mood suits :dabs:

MagicNakor
03-21-2006, 06:00 PM
I honestly have no clue. Probably was drunk at the time.

:shuriken:

JPaul
03-21-2006, 06:01 PM
Mine just popped into my head. I try to change it often as the mood suits :dabs:
Would you tend to go for a particular type, is there a (loose) theme to what you choose. Or is it just a "whatever I see which takes my fancy" thing.

DorisInsinuate
03-21-2006, 06:01 PM
I find that I tend to ignore people with video game character avatars more.

I guess it's because I associate those types of avatars with lolboys.

JPaul
03-21-2006, 06:03 PM

That makes sense, however it is at a conscious decision level.

Do you think you are efected by the persons avatar being jokey, aggresive, silly etc at a subconscious level.

enoughfakefiles
03-21-2006, 06:07 PM
Would you tend to go for a particular type, is there a (loose) theme to what you choose. Or is it just a "whatever I see which takes my fancy" thing.

I generally go for the old type of stuff i used to watch as a youngster lyke pipkins of dungeons and dragons.

DorisInsinuate
03-21-2006, 06:08 PM

That makes sense, however it is at a conscious decision level.

Do you think you are efected by the persons avatar being jokey, aggresive, silly etc at a subconscious level.
I have no idea. I'll need to meditate on that for a while, to access my subconscious.

JPaul
03-21-2006, 06:10 PM

I generally go for the old type of stuff i used to watch as a youngster lye pipkins of dungeons and dragons.
You tend to go for things which will have either no efect or a positive, happy type feeling to them. Do you do this deliberately for the effect it is likely to have on people. The impression you will make, as it were.

enoughfakefiles
03-21-2006, 06:13 PM
I generally go for the old type of stuff i used to watch as a youngster lye pipkins of dungeons and dragons.
You tend to go for things which will have either no efect or a positive, happy type feeling to them. Do you do this deliberately for the effect it is likely to have on people. The impression you will make, as it were.

I suppose i do it for the effect on others to see how good people's memories are. Come to think of it sara always comments on them. That could just because she watched then the first time round :lol:

JPaul
03-21-2006, 06:17 PM

I suppose i do it for the effect on others to see how good people's memories are. Come to think of it sara always comments on them. That could just because she watched then the first time round :lol:
I watched Saphire and Steel first time round. It was cutting edge Sci Fantasy at that time.

I also watched Blake's 7 first time round. It was UK Star Trek, with no budget.

enoughfakefiles
03-21-2006, 06:23 PM
I watched Saphire and Steel first time round. It was cutting edge Sci Fantasy at that time.

I also watched Blake's 7 first time round. It was UK Star Trek, with no budget.

I do remember watching saphire and steel but vaugley, I also remember blake 7 in the same catorgory. They did repeat the whole series of blake 7 on UK gold a while back so i watched a lot of them again. I used to have some of the blake 7 stuff as an avatar not so long back.

Gripper
03-21-2006, 06:24 PM
Ah how I miss them ,

"All irregularities will be handled by the forces controlling each dimension. Trans-uranic heavy elements may not be used where there is life. Medium atomic weights are available - Gold, Lead, Copper, Jet, Diamond, Radium, Sapphire, Silver, and Steel. Sapphire and Steel have been assigned."

RealitY
03-21-2006, 06:25 PM

Dont think anyone on the board has an avatar that beeter suits their posting with JP also at the top of the list.
As for mine guess Im just a hostile toon which really sums it up...

Gripper
03-21-2006, 06:27 PM
I like this one but its not original

JPaul
03-21-2006, 06:28 PM

Dont think anyone on the board has an avatar that beeter suits
I agree Doris' Avatar really suits her posting style.

RealitY
03-21-2006, 06:32 PM
Dont think anyone on the board has an avatar that beeter suits
Almost makes the net real when reading those posts and looking at that av though I feel like Ive visted a nuthouse...

JPaul
03-21-2006, 06:33 PM
Almost makes the net real when reading those posts and looking at that av though I feel like Ive visted a nuthouse...
:lol:

That's a bit harsh.

100%
03-21-2006, 06:35 PM
i don't smoke da hashish in a long time

JPaul
03-21-2006, 06:58 PM
i don't smoke da hashish in a long time
I thought that was someone singing, but holding the mic a la Freddie Mercury.

NikkiD
03-21-2006, 07:59 PM
I chose mine very shortly after becoming a moderator, because it fit with the whole idea of "moderators' secret powers" and such.

I've often considered changing it since resigning from my duties as moderator, but I think now it's become quite synonymous with my identity here on the board. I use a different variation of Wonder Woman avatar on most sites I belong/have belonged to for that reason.

EDIT: Whoa... I just read Barbie's reply in the other avatar thread. Freaky we used the same words. :o :ph34r:

Lilmiss
03-21-2006, 08:31 PM
I didn't choose mine, zed or doob did. :unsure:

Looks like me having a monged, fly catching moment anyhoo.

JPaul
03-21-2006, 08:34 PM
I think now it's become quite synonymous with my identity here on the board.
It has, you can't possibly change it, that would just be wrong.

hippychick
03-21-2006, 09:07 PM
I choose mine to tell everyone to "kiss muh ass" lol :P jk
I change mine whenever I find a cute kitty pic or gif. :lol:

I found your pic lilmiss way back when doob did his
"how do you picture a certain member" thread...Took me awhile to find the right Sherly Temple pic.:D

NikkiD
03-21-2006, 09:53 PM
I think now it's become quite synonymous with my identity here on the board.

Point taken. I'll leave it as is, as long as yours doesn't change either. Mr. Falk has become a board icon.

JPaul
03-21-2006, 09:55 PM

Point taken. I'll leave it as is, as long as yours doesn't change either. Mr. Falk has become a board icon.
Agreed. Pinky Promise.

brotherdoobie
03-21-2006, 10:06 PM
I've had three avatars, a drunken Simpsons knock-off, an ashtray full of butts and my current badge,which represents my desire to hide behind a facade of low self-esteem.

Peace bd

JPaul
03-21-2006, 10:30 PM
I've had three avatars, a drunken Simpsons knock-off, an ashtray full of butts and my current badge,which represents my desire to hide behind a facade of low self-esteem.

Peace bd
All self-deprecating. I truly hope that this does not reflect how you really feel.

Rip The Jacker
03-21-2006, 10:31 PM
I don't have one. =/

brotherdoobie
03-21-2006, 10:41 PM

Peace bd All self-deprecating. I truly hope that this does not reflect how you really feel.

It reflects the fact, that I can laugh at myself.
That is all. :)

Peace bd

JPaul
03-21-2006, 10:43 PM
All self-deprecating. I truly hope that this does not reflect how you really feel.

It reflects the fact, that I can laugh at myself.
That is all. :)

Peace bd
That, Sir is cool.

captain_azad
03-21-2006, 10:47 PM
simple

joey jordison = ownage

Tempestv
03-21-2006, 10:49 PM
Matches my username- painting of a Tempest V

JPaul
03-21-2006, 10:50 PM
simple

joey jordison = ownage
Why do you have eight posts.

JPaul
03-21-2006, 10:51 PM
Indeed, then the question becomes - why did you pick the name.

captain_azad
03-21-2006, 11:03 PM
simple

joey jordison = ownage
Why do you have eight posts.

dont know, dont care :whistling

Tempestv
03-21-2006, 11:10 PM
because it is a very nice airplane, and I am a bit obsessed with aircraft. in fact I intend to turn my engineering degree into areospace engineering.

maebach
03-22-2006, 01:37 AM
my favourite model :wub:

Cheese
03-22-2006, 06:45 AM
I usually use an avatar taken from one of my favourite films or cartoons. The girl footballer with the fake moustache from Shaolin Soccer is my favourite avatar of all time.

DorisInsinuate
03-22-2006, 10:47 AM
I usually use an avatar taken from one of my favourite films or cartoons. The girl footballer with the fake moustache from Shaolin Soccer is my favourite avatar of all time.
I liked it too. I found it really hawt in the way Spatch finds Kaoru hawt.

Mr. Mulder
03-22-2006, 10:52 AM
i chose mine cos i made it and cos i loike the x files and cos i loike battlestar galactica :mellow:

enoughfakefiles
03-22-2006, 12:39 PM
i chose mine cos i made it and cos i loike the x files and cos i loike battlestar galactica :mellow:

Where's the battlestar galactica bit :unsure:

DorisInsinuate
03-22-2006, 12:48 PM

David Duchovny's head, 'cause his acting is lyke robotic, innit.

Mr. Mulder
03-22-2006, 12:49 PM

the cylon centurion's body that mulders head is affixed to :pinch:

enoughfakefiles
03-22-2006, 12:50 PM

the cylon centurion's body that mulders head is affixed to :pinch:

I not even gonna post the smilie :pinch:

DorisInsinuate
03-22-2006, 12:52 PM
http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/7069/eodney3lx.jpg

Mr. Mulder
03-22-2006, 12:55 PM
flip it. :pinch:

JPaul
03-22-2006, 01:22 PM
because it is a very nice airplane, and I am a bit obsessed with aircraft. in fact I intend to turn my engineering degree into areospace engineering.
I was watching a programme on ultmate combat aircraft yesterday. The FA 22 Raptor is nothing short of extraordinary.

http://www.blueangels.org/Aircraft/Hornets/FA22_Raptor_1.jpg

If anyone hasn't heard of it, it has full stealth capability, but can also fly at supersonic speeds. It can maintain supersonic speed without using afterburners.

In effect it's fast as feck and invisible to radar and infrared. You really wouldn't want to fight one.

Unfortunately they cost about $120,000,000 (£87) each.

DorisInsinuate
03-22-2006, 02:22 PM
If anyone hasn't heard of it, it has full stealth capability, but can also fly at supersonic speeds. It can maintain supersonic speed without using afterburners.

In effect it's fast as feck and invisible to radar and infrared. You really wouldn't want to fight one.

Does it still do vector thrusting?

They seem pretty cheap. I'm going down to Lidl to pick one up.

JPaul
03-22-2006, 02:33 PM

I believe it does, not quite Harrier standard but it's very maneu turny.

DorisInsinuate
03-22-2006, 02:50 PM

If I was a plane making guy, and I wanted to cut some costs, I would get rid of the thrust vectoring.

I'm fairly sure you don't really need that much maneuverability in modern air combat. It's just Amerkan extravagance, to be honest.

Barbarossa
03-22-2006, 03:00 PM
If I was a plane making guy, and I wanted to cut some costs, I would get rid of the thrust vectoring.

I'm fairly sure you don't really need that much maneuverability in modern air combat. It's just Amerkan extravagance, to be honest.

I think it's quite handy for landing on terrorists.

DorisInsinuate
03-22-2006, 03:03 PM

I think it's quite handy for landing on terrorists.
Don't be stupid.

They use Daisycutters on terrorists.

Barbarossa
03-22-2006, 03:07 PM
Bastards! :o

JPaul
03-22-2006, 03:16 PM
The Eurofighter is also V Cool. It can also operate supersonic sans afterburners and can work at an almost constant 9G. The pilots not only wear anti-g suits, they also have anti-g boots which inflate when they are operating at high-g.

http://www.gcseinmanufacturing.com/Gallery.nsf/ROOT/Aerospace/$file/Eurofighter%204.jpg

Chewie
03-22-2006, 03:27 PM
I chose the best shot I could find of Chewbacca to fit my handle.

People at work started calling me Chewie a little over 20 years ago 'cos of my beard and long hair, and the handle stuck until I left there in '88.

Although I've been using the nick on the interweb since first 'getting on' it 9 years ago, it's not something I've used IRL until I landed my current job 2.5 years ago and lots of people started calling me either 'Chewie' or 'Wookie', without knowing about my internet alias. I still find that a little weird.

BTW I hadn't actually seen any Star Wars films in their entirety until I bought the DVD boxed set last year.

DorisInsinuate
03-22-2006, 03:34 PM

People at work started calling me Chewie a little over 20 years ago 'cos of my beard and long hair, and the handle stuck until I left there in '88.

Although I've been using the nick on the interweb since first 'getting on' it 9 years ago, it's not something I've used IRL until I landed my current job 2.5 years ago and lots of people started calling me either 'Chewie' or 'Wookie', without knowing about my internet alias. I still find that a little weird.

BTW I hadn't actually seen any Star Wars films in their entirety until I bought the DVD boxed set last year.
Oi, this is a plane thread. Stay on topic.

Barbarossa
03-22-2006, 03:44 PM
:whoosh:

@Chewie, your co-workers must really hate you :P

JPaul
03-22-2006, 03:46 PM

I think the one you chose is actually a bit coquettish.

For the hard of thinking, yes it's a kind of potato.

Chewie
03-22-2006, 03:57 PM
lol
Yeah, it's a bit posey, innit?

@DI:
Chewbacca's a co-pilot so it's still on-topic.

Tempestv
03-22-2006, 03:58 PM
I was watching a programme on ultmate combat aircraft yesterday. The FA 22 Raptor is nothing short of extraordinary.

http://www.blueangels.org/Aircraft/Hornets/FA22_Raptor_1.jpg

A very nice aircraft, and by all accounts, one of the best handling aircraft around.

Maneuverabliity is actually very inportant in dogfights. you might not think that there is really all that many of those, but that is the mistake we made with the F-4 phantom- we figured that with powerfull radar and missles the phantom would be invincable in the air. infact it was not even armed with a cannon. it was soon realized that you still are going to have dog fights and the phantom was fucked if a mig got to close to launch a missile at. a lot of phantoms got shot down this way.

what kills me about the F-22 is that it was desined to fight the soviet union- here is plane that is only getting introduced now, but was desined to fight an enemy that hasn't existed for more than fifteen years. the same goes for the B2 bomber.

the eurofight is quite nice i must say. the Griffin and the Rafale are also very nice.

JPaul
03-22-2006, 04:54 PM
Do you use bittorrent.

Tempestv
03-22-2006, 05:06 PM
Do you use bittorrent.
it's downloading now-thanks

JPaul
03-22-2006, 05:11 PM
NP, hope you enjoy it.

wEeZeR's_AiR
03-23-2006, 03:32 AM
I chose mine because I love classic movies. I think that Audrey Hepburn is one of the most beautiful women in the world.

Sorry...I dont know anything about planes. Im pretty grounded most of the time...:)

twisterX
03-23-2006, 03:37 AM
I change mine alot but i chose this one becuase it was a foobar2000 icon and it looks cool.

brotherdoobie
03-23-2006, 05:04 AM
I chose mine because I love classic movies. I think that Audrey Hepburn is one of the most beautiful women in the world.

Sorry...I dont know anything about planes. Im pretty grounded most of the time...:)

I'll get your coat...

Peace bd

Petri
03-23-2006, 09:12 AM
I didn't really choose mine, as I made it myself. I thought it was funny, and people have said it reflects me perfectly.

clocker
03-23-2006, 11:31 AM
I haven't found an avatar I really like so until I do I'll just keep using my high school graduation picture.

DanB
03-23-2006, 11:38 AM
I don't know why I chose mine, I think it was cos when I first jined I thought an animated avy would make me look less of a n00b.

I don't think its changed either since I joined apart from the odd Xmas hat, its sort of part of me and my persona on here now.

I do remember one Saturday though when everyone posting in the lounge was using my avy :lol:

missie
03-23-2006, 03:52 PM
I think that Audrey Hepburn is one of the most beautiful women in the world.

:wub:

JPaul
03-23-2006, 07:45 PM
I don't know why I chose mine, I think it was cos when I first jined I thought an animated avy would make me look less of a n00b.

I don't think its changed either since I joined apart from the odd Xmas hat, its sort of part of me and my persona on here now.

I do remember one Saturday though when everyone posting in the lounge was using my avy :lol:
Yours is cool.

NikkiD
03-23-2006, 08:20 PM

That was a confusing day. :stars:

maebach
03-23-2006, 08:34 PM
I change mine alot but i chose this one becuase it was a foobar2000 icon and it looks cool.

I'd have to say twister, you have the best avatars. rly. I almost copied your alcohol 120% one :lol:

:ermm: :lookaroun

wEeZeR's_AiR
03-24-2006, 03:52 PM
I'll get your coat...

Peace bd

DONT STEAL MY COAT!!:ph34r:

Spider_dude
03-24-2006, 04:55 PM
i chose mine cos it was a place in urbandead or something.

tantric
03-26-2006, 09:12 AM
Because it matches my username and signature.