PDA

View Full Version : The Office

JPaul
03-21-2006, 06:23 PM
I'm talking about the original UK version.

I quite like the US one as well, but the characters and situations are entirely different. The whole chemistry of how it works is different so it's not really the same programme.

100%
03-21-2006, 06:34 PM
eternal

enoughfakefiles
03-21-2006, 06:39 PM
It took me a while to get in to the Uk office version, but when you do it's very amusing. I've not watched the american version so i can't pass comment :unsure:

Skillian
03-21-2006, 06:39 PM
I love the UK Office.

The US version is actually pretty funny too, but it feels like a standard sitcom compared to the original which had more of a quasi-documentary feel.

JPaul
03-21-2006, 06:46 PM
The US version is actually pretty funny too, but it feels like a standard sitcom compared to the original which had more of a quasi-documentary feel.
Well put, I couldn't agree more.

brotherdoobie
03-21-2006, 07:30 PM
I love the show...simply brilliant! I am equally enamored of the American version. I remember many on this forum bashing the American Office after watching only the pilot episode. The show gained it's footing after the first few episodes.

JPaul,I agree. While the American version seems like a faithfull copy on paper it doesn't play out the same way on the screen. Which is great...the show is much better when it strives for originality and doesn't try to be a carbon copy of the original.

Peace bd

Busyman
03-21-2006, 07:39 PM
I love the show...simply brilliant! I am equally enamored of the American version. I remember many on this forum bashing the American Office after watching only the pilot episode. The show gained it's footing after the first few episodes.

JPaul,I agree. While, the American version seems like a faithfull copy on paper it doesn't play out the same way on the screen. Which is great...the show is much better when it strives for originality and doesn't try and be a carbon copy of the brithish show.

Peace bd
I agree The Office got much better after the pilot. I absolutely hated the pilot.

The episode where they play basketball in stock room was excellent. Also the one (I think the second epsiode) where the diversity training guy came in. I loved it.

It's weird though that the brat version went only 2 short seasons but was a hit over there.:huh:

Plus it seems the second season of the American version will have a regular American season with about 21 episodes. Sweet!

If I miss a show though it's no big deal. It's not 24, Lost, or The Shield or anything.

If you like The Office check out Sons & Daughters. It's partially improv'd as well.

manker
03-21-2006, 07:45 PM
It's weird though that the brat version went only 2 short seasons but was a hit over there. It's not really that weird.

Most of the very best UK comedy shows are only a few seasons long - so they don't get stale. The writers dictate to the network, not vice-versa.

Ricky Gervais just decided that he couldn't make another series as funny as the previous two and it would be better to stop.

Guillaume
03-21-2006, 07:51 PM
Ricky Gervais just decided that he couldn't make another series as funny as the previous two and it would be better to stop.
Speaking about that guy, what of Extras? Is it any good? :unsure:

brotherdoobie
03-21-2006, 07:51 PM
[quote=Busyman]It's weird though that the brat version went only 2 short seasons but was a hit over there.

There is a German version...as well? I'll have to check it out. (I hope
there are nazis! :w00t: )

Peace bd

manker
03-21-2006, 07:53 PM
Sucks bawls, according to my mates who've watched it.

I never take any notice of them because none of them like sci-fi, however :ermm:

DorisInsinuate
03-21-2006, 08:19 PM
It rawkz00rz, is the phrase I think Mulcadia would use :unsure:

I actually haven't watched The Office, either version. I only watched the Christmas special ones.

Mr. Mulder
03-21-2006, 08:23 PM
i think that both versions are a bag of wank :dabs:

Mr. Mulder
03-21-2006, 08:24 PM
Extras is even worse :dabs:

Busyman
03-21-2006, 08:25 PM
It's weird though that the brat version went only 2 short seasons but was a hit over there. It's not really that weird.

Most of the very best UK comedy shows are only a few seasons long - so they don't get stale. The writers dictate to the network, not vice-versa.

That makes sense. I remember The Cosby Show went on strong for 8 24-epsiode seasons then Bill Cosby called it quits 'cause he wanted the show to end on top.

Over here, if a show is hit, the network will try to milk it. Usually they don't get stale too soon if the show was a hit to begin with. X-Files was still got decent rating even after Mulder left but of course it last long.

I'd be pissed if a hit show just up and stopped after 2 seasons.

I wouldn't have The Shield (5th season), BSG (going into it's 3rd season), Stargate SG-1 (going into it's 10th season), 24 (5th season), and Babylon 5 (5 seasons).

I hate FOX for not picking up John Doe for a 2nd season (download it, you'll like it) but it might have started at the wrong time. It has Dominic Purcell from Prison Break. I didn't really watch Firefly that much 'cause I didn't have time.

Writers have as much control as the contract stipulates. I'm surprised Dave Chappelle has not been sued by Comedy Central. They probably rather have him back and happy.

I had high hopes for Extras. It was the exact opposite of The Office (American). I watch one episode and thought it was good then was bored to tears on some of the subsequent ones.

HBO is bringing the second season over here and I'm like, "Why?". It sucks.

manker
03-21-2006, 08:32 PM
I'm looking for another series to download, I'll take a look at John Doe. Thanks.

I'm watching Supernatural at the moment, it's pretty funny but so very silly. The missus seems to like it and I can tolerate it so I guess I'll carry on :dabs:

I was gonna start watching Millennium but the sound codec used in series one that I downloaded recently isn't compatible with any of my three DivX players and I'm fooked if I'm watching it on the PC.

JPaul
03-21-2006, 08:38 PM
JPaul,I agree. While the American version seems like a faithfull copy on paper it doesn't play out the same way on the screen. Which is great...the show is much better when it strives for originality and doesn't try to be a carbon copy of the original.

Peace bd
I think the point made earlier is a good one. The US version has a sitcom feel, whereas the UK one has more a "fly on the wall" feel.

The initial "copies" were OK, but since it has been using new scripts the US version has become a good quality American sitcom. I download it as soon as possible and watch them. It's something I actually look forward to getting.

Mr. Mulder
03-21-2006, 08:39 PM
Just finished rewatching Dark Angel season 1, not as good as I remember it to be, but still the pwnage. Season 1 pwns anyway, season two just got shite with Joshua the talking man dog, and with episodes where freeing mermaid people was the main plot :dabs:

shame it got canceled rly, but it did get canceled so that FireFly could have its money. that turned out well didn't it. :dabs:

Mr. Mulder
03-21-2006, 08:40 PM
I was gonna start watching Millennium but the sound codec used in series one that I downloaded recently isn't compatible with any of my three DivX players and I'm fooked if I'm watching it on the PC.

the offers still open ftw :pinch:

JPaul
03-21-2006, 08:41 PM
I liked extras, however I've been a fan of Ricky Gervaias since he appeared on the 11:00 O'Clock show.

I think his stand up is laugh out loud funny. Not many comedians do that for me.

Mr. Mulder
03-21-2006, 08:44 PM
Speaking about that guy, what of Extras? Is it any good? :unsure: I liked extras, however I've been a fan of Ricky Gervaias since he appeared on the 11:00 O'Clock show.

nice reference, shows that you're hardcore - i used to watch it cos Daisy Donovan iz phit :smilie4:

manker
03-21-2006, 08:44 PM

the offers still open ftw :pinch:Thank you, kind sir.

First, I'm gonna watch season 5 of 24 up to date (haven't started it yet), then, if you wouldn't mind, I'll ask you to send them down :01:

manker
03-21-2006, 08:46 PM
I liked extras, however I've been a fan of Ricky Gervaias since he appeared on the 11:00 O'Clock show.

nice reference, shows that you're hardcore - i used to watch it cos Daisy Donovan iz phit :smilie4: 'Phit' doesn't quite do her justice - she is so extremely hawt, not to mention clever, and made such an impresion upon my student years, that if my Son had turned out to be a daughter, I was going to call him (her) Daisy.

Which is actually quite disturbing, now I think about it :pinch:

Mr. Mulder
03-21-2006, 08:46 PM
hawt. :smilie4:

JPaul
03-21-2006, 08:47 PM

nice reference, shows that you're hardcore - i used to watch it cos Daisy Donovan iz phit :smilie4:
I agree re Daisy.

Did you watch "Meet Ricky Gervais". Best "talk show" ever.

Michael Winner - If I don't like a meal I complain loudly and send it back.

Ricky Gervais - How much Chef's pish do you think you've consumed over the years.

Mr. Mulder
03-21-2006, 08:48 PM
did u watch Daisy, Daisy? and Daisy Does America - both rawked so hardly :smilie4:

JPaul
03-21-2006, 08:49 PM
nice reference, shows that you're hardcore - i used to watch it cos Daisy Donovan iz phit :smilie4: 'Phit' doesn't quite do her justice - she is so extremely hawt, not to mention clever, and made such an impresion upon my student years, that if my Son had turned out to be a daughter, I was going to call him (her) Daisy.
Bottom line, you considered naming your daughter after someone who provided you with onanistic pleasure. That's wrong on so many levels I don't even want to think about it.

Which is actually quite disturbing, now I think about it :pinch:

Busyman
03-21-2006, 08:50 PM
I'm looking for another series to download, I'll take a look at John Doe. Thanks.

I'm watching Supernatural at the moment, it's pretty funny but so very silly. The missus seems to like it and I can tolerate it so I guess I'll carry on :dabs:

One of my favorite episodes of Millenium is the one with the diner full of devil.

Muldy told the name of it before but I forgot it.

I liked Supernatural alot and new episode will start back up soon. Check out Babylon 5 for a very good sci-fi series. I ignored it for DS9 when it aired. Later I downloaded all 5 season, the movies, and the spin-off called Crusade.
It was THE best sci-fi series made, imo. Funny that the fella who wrote it got kicked off of writing DS9. Also check out Jeremiah which was written by the same fella that B5. It only ran for 2 seasons and at first I didn't like it 'cause it wasn't sci-fi-ish but apocalyptic. After watching, I really got into it. Very epic. I wish it didn't so soon but J. Michael Strazynski (sp) write a beginning and an end to his stuff.

From the sound of it, you need American TV AND Tivo.:P

manker
did u watch Daisy, Daisy? and Daisy Does America - both rawked so hardly :smilie4:I used to have all of the Daisy, Daisy shows on video - I might still have ... but now I don't own a video player :dabs:

Agreed on the rawkeness :smilie4:

Gripper

I'll recommend John Doe aswell,twas getting good.

manker
03-21-2006, 08:54 PM

One of my favorite episodes of Millenium is the one with the diner full of devil.

I liked Supernatural alot and new episode will start back up soon. Check out Babylon 5 for a very good sci-fi series. I ignored it for DS9 when it aired. Later I downloaded all 5 season, the movies, and the spin-off called Crusade.
It was THE best sci-fi series made, imo. Funny that the fella who wrote it got kicked off of writing DS9. Also check out Jeremiah which was written by the same fella that B5. It only ran for 2 seasons and at first I didn't like it 'cause it wasn't sci-fi-ish but apocalyptic. After watching, I really got into it. Very epic. I wish it didn't so soon but J. Michael Strazynski (sp) write a beginning and an end to his stuff.

From the sound of it, you need American TV AND Tivo.:PYesh!

I've only just started downloading TV series, maybe a year or so ago - so I've a lot of catching up to do. Lost was the first (Sam^4 kept on about it) and then I started to like Firefly and BSG oh so very much, both of which I'd only heard about because of this forum. I really don't watch any normal TV except for sports.

It's just getting the time to watch them, which is the main reason I stopped watching TV in the first place :dabs:

manker
03-21-2006, 08:57 PM
'Phit' doesn't quite do her justice - she is so extremely hawt, not to mention clever, and made such an impresion upon my student years, that if my Son had turned out to be a daughter, I was going to call him (her) Daisy.

Which is actually quite disturbing, now I think about it :pinch:Bottom line, you considered naming your daughter after someone who provided you with onanistic pleasure. That's wrong on so many levels I don't even want to think about it.The naming after thing was mainly because I admired how really clever she was - especially for a girl (:o) and I don't think I ever had a wank while watching Daisy ... it's still wrong tho'.

If it makes any difference, I fixed your quotes :dabs:

Mr. Mulder
03-21-2006, 08:58 PM

I was gonna start watching Millennium but the sound codec used in series one that I downloaded recently isn't compatible with any of my three DivX players and I'm fooked if I'm watching it on the PC. One of my favorite episodes of Millenium is the one with the diner full of devil.

Force Majeure - not a fan of that one :dabs:

Agreed on Jeremiah though, that was pretty damn good, season 2 especially :smilie4:

JPaul
03-21-2006, 09:00 PM
Bottom line, you considered naming your daughter after someone who provided you with onanistic pleasure. That's wrong on so many levels I don't even want to think about it.The naming after thing was mainly because I admired how really clever she was - especially for a girl (:o) and I don't think I ever had a wank while watching Daisy ... it's still wrong tho'.

Thanks, it went mental and I just sort of panicked and walked away whistling.

I thought I'd pulled it off.

maebach
03-21-2006, 09:04 PM
other-because I've only seen the US one, which I really like.

manker
03-21-2006, 09:07 PM
The naming after thing was mainly because I admired how really clever she was - especially for a girl (:o) and I don't think I ever had a wank while watching Daisy ... it's still wrong tho'.

I thought I'd pulled it off.Forumular pish posting and simultaneous casual onanism pave a well beaten road to ruination.

Unless you're The, in which case any alternative is utterly unthinkable.

Busyman

From the sound of it, you need American TV AND Tivo.:PYesh!

I've only just started downloading TV series, maybe a year or so ago - so I've a lot of catching up to do. Lost was the first (Sam^4 kept on about it) and then I started to like Firefly and BSG oh so very much, both of which I'd only heard about because of this forum. I really don't watch any normal TV except for sports.

It's just getting the time to watch them, which is the main reason I stopped watching TV in the first place :dabs:
Same here...until I got tivo.

After I got that, I fucked around and recorded every little thing I might be interested in..hits & misses. I then got my regular shows I watch and always have something to watch. Hence the reason for not downloading as much.
At my former house, I used to download everything. I remember having both seasons of Witchblade and the first of Smallville (never watched it though). I erased all that shit and just store DVD movies that I later burn plus a ton of my studio music.

I only download an occasional Xbox or PC game (that I rarely play) , or the odd overseas movie or series (like Dr. Who). Since I have so much to watch I'm going to wait for the second season of Dr. Who on American TV. No rush. Even the odd overseas movie is not a priority anymore.

I still, of course, download entire albums though. I buy the really good ones (at least 6 good songs). Gotta reward quality product.

JPaul
other-because I've only seen the US one, which I really like.
Start a Poll about that one then. I can't because I've had my two for the day.

I'll certainly vote in it if you do.

JPaul
03-21-2006, 09:09 PM

I thought I'd pulled it off.Forumular pish posting and simultaneous casual onanism pave a well beaten road to ruination.

Unless you're The, in which case any alternative is utterly unthinkable.
I never masturbate whilst posting here. It would be like you were watching.

Come to think of it. :naughty:

When I say come, obviously I mean .... oh never mind.

Busyman
03-21-2006, 09:10 PM

Force Majeure - not a fan of that one :dabs:

Agreed on Jeremiah though, that was pretty damn good, season 2 especially :smilie4:
I liked it 'cause it was different from the entire series.

Devils sitting around talking about how they fuck over people...and the occasional "There was this guy (Frank Black) and I swore he could see me."

I loved it.

Did you like Harsh Realm? One of my boys bought the series and been meaning to get it from him.

Mr. Mulder
03-21-2006, 09:13 PM
Yeah I bought that too, I liked it but not as much as X-Files or MillenniuM, another good show cut short <_<

Busyman
03-21-2006, 09:16 PM
Yeah I bought that too, I liked it but not as much as X-Files or MillenniuM, another good show cut short <_<
1 season of Matrix-loike story.

There's some others that were aiight.

G vs.E (Good vs. Evil)
Invisible Man
Dark Skies - hated it at first, loved it later.

You ever watch B5?

JPaul
03-21-2006, 09:16 PM
The X-Files is one of those really strange things for me. Whenever I watched it I really enjoyed it. However I never made a point of sitting down to watch it.

Mr. Mulder
03-21-2006, 09:33 PM
Yeah I bought that too, I liked it but not as much as X-Files or MillenniuM, another good show cut short <_< 1 season of Matrix-loike story.

G vs.E (Good vs. Evil)
Invisible Man

You ever watch B5?
i never got into B5 properly but probably will one day, dark skies however i watched and liked, bit of an x-file rip off but good none the less :smilie4:

Mr. Mulder
03-21-2006, 09:35 PM
The X-Files is one of those really strange things for me. Whenever I watched it I really enjoyed it. However I never made a point of sitting down to watch it.
yeah i think i read somewhere that people who don't like the x-files are fags? you better watch it asap :unsure:

JPaul
03-21-2006, 09:40 PM
yeah i think i read somewhere that people who don't like the x-files are fags? you better watch it asap :unsure:
I really like it, I just never bothered to watch it when it was on. I could never understand why.

Busyman
03-21-2006, 10:10 PM
1 season of Matrix-loike story.

G vs.E (Good vs. Evil)
Invisible Man

You ever watch B5?
i never got into B5 properly but probably will one day, dark skies however i watched and liked, bit of an x-file rip off but good none the less :smilie4:
Yeah I thought B5 was a DS9 rip-off and found out it was just the opposite.

DS9 and B5 were both incarnation of previous failed space stations.

They both were right next to wormholes (the story behind B5's is better)

They both had a 2 warring factions, one occupying the other and humans were neutral as was the space station.
DS9 - Cardassians and Bajorians
B5 - Centauri and Narn

DS9 had many writers which resulted in some 3 episode story arcs. B5 had one which resulted in a 5 season 4 movie story arc (22 epsiodes each season) and I have never writing for a sci-fi series even come close to it. The story rivals Star Wars.

B5 had mystery as to who or what the villains were. It had folks the you'll see in the first episode leave then come back like it was meant to be that way instead of "hey lets bring her back for a cameo." A Psi-Corp lady on the pilot left, the ship gets another Psi-Corp lady, then two or three seasons later that same lady from pilot comes back for the rest of the series. The also leads nicely into it's spin-off, The Crusade. You wonder why The Apocalypse Box speaks to the commander and what is it telling him "'cause sometimes it lies." The Crusade series, however, wasn't as good.

You'll find a few familiar faces though. Chekov from Star Trek gets a regular spot on B5 and Jin from Lost is part of Crusade (Psi-Corps).

Busyman
03-21-2006, 10:23 PM
Fuck, all this talk and me slapping B5 balls, I have never watched it on my big screen with surround sound.

I only watched it at my old house on a futon in the basement office and viewing a 19" screen. :dabs:

I think it's time for me to watch it all over again...in pseudo-HD too. I bought DVDs and never opened them.:dry:

JPaul
03-21-2006, 10:28 PM
So far no-one has chosen "Hyped Up Pish" which pleases me greatly.

@ Lurkers, why don't you cast a vote. You don't have to post or anything if you don't want to.

Barbarossa
03-22-2006, 10:34 AM
The Christmas Specials were a brilliant culmination of two series of first-rate comedy.

Doing a third series would have been a mistake. You can flog comedy to death, look at Alan Partridge, that was one series too many. :pinch:

I couldn't really get into the American Office, the only episode I liked was the basketball one, that made me glag actually. The difference between the American Office and the original British Office was Ricky Gervais. He gave the impression of not having to act the part, which made it all the more authentic, whereas his American counterpart (sorry, don't know his name) appeared to be acting the part up too much.

I guess it works over there as a standard US sit-com though.

Extras was quite funny I thought, it had a good combination of the laughs and cringes, I'm looking forward to future series'. Again, it wouldn't have worked without Ricky Gervais as the driving force.

JPaul
03-22-2006, 01:37 PM
I loved the Alan Partridge "Talk Shows" I thought they were seriously funny and inventive. The whole "Travel Lodge" thing just seemed a bit contrived. However it was worth it for two things ;

1. Smell my cheese.

2. You're a mentalist.

Mr. Mulder
03-22-2006, 01:41 PM
I'm Alan Partridge ftw, even season 2 :smilie4:

Barbarossa
03-22-2006, 01:41 PM
I loved the Alan Partridge "Talk Shows" I thought they were seriously funny and inventive. The whole "Travel Lodge" thing just seemed a bit contrived. However it was worth it for two things ;

1. Smell my cheese.

2. You're a mentalist.

3. Kiss my face.

Also a young Sally Phillips behind the desk trying to keep a straight face was entertaining :smilie4:

That series was OK, it was the series after that where it went downhill (he was living in a caravan next to his new house that was being built)

JPaul
03-22-2006, 01:43 PM

1. Smell my cheese.

2. You're a mentalist.

3. Kiss my face.

Also a young Sally Phillips behind the desk trying to keep a straight face was entertaining :smilie4:

That series was OK, it was the series after that where it went downhill (he was living in a caravan next to his new house that was being built)

You are correct, entirely my mistake, I was mixing up series in my head. That's the one where he was living with the lass from Coronation Street and having classic intercourse. Back of the net.

Mr. Mulder
03-22-2006, 02:01 PM
not forgetting Michael the petrol station worker (played by bo). :smilie4:

JPaul
03-22-2006, 02:06 PM
not forgetting Michael the petrol station worker (played by bo). :smilie4:
Brilliant.

Cup o' beans, Mr Partridge.

Mr. Mulder
03-22-2006, 02:09 PM
"there's nee porn on it" rolf.

JPaul
03-22-2006, 02:24 PM
Tex was good too. The trucker with the ridiculous accent.

Or was that manboi.

Mr. Mulder
03-22-2006, 02:31 PM
"Hi Tex, we're having a hoedown, i'm down.. but i'm not a hoe!"

:dabs:

Barbarossa
03-22-2006, 02:55 PM
Ladyboys. :snooty:

DorisInsinuate
03-22-2006, 02:59 PM
Cock piss Partridge :dry:

Barbarossa