PDA

View Full Version : IP strangeness

Tempestv
03-22-2006, 05:14 PM
Any reason that the IP from IPCONFIG would be different than the one from www.whatismyip.com?
A freind of mine and I were trying to set up a file transfer program between my computer and his, were having problems, so I tracked his ip that ipconfig gave him and it could not be found. I sent him to whatismyip.com, and it gave him a different one that tracked to the right spot. any idea why this could be?

Barbarossa
03-22-2006, 05:16 PM
If you're connecting through a NAT router, or browsing via a proxy they will be different :unsure:

Tempestv
03-22-2006, 05:21 PM
far as I know he isn't- he is on his basic college net

zaphodiv
03-22-2006, 06:57 PM
The ip address ranges 192.168.x.x 10.x.x.x and 172.16-31.x.x are reserved for LAN use. If a computer has an ip in those ranges then it's internet access is through a NAT device and it can only receive incoming connections if the NAT device is configured to forward ports.

Tempestv
03-22-2006, 07:29 PM
the ip addresses in question are in the 10.x.x.x range for the one off IP config, and 150.x.x.x for the one off of whatismyip.com (don't remember the whole address off the top of my head)

tesco
03-22-2006, 09:01 PM
the ip addresses in question are in the 10.x.x.x range for the one off IP config, and 150.x.x.x for the one off of whatismyip.com (don't remember the whole address off the top of my head)
the 10.x.x.x is his network IP adress, the 150.x.x.x is the internet IP (same ip for all of the college network, most likely).

Tempestv
03-22-2006, 11:25 PM
damn, any ideas on how we might be able to key in waste?

tesco
03-22-2006, 11:29 PM
:blink: Do what to what?

Tempestv
03-23-2006, 01:40 AM
waste file sharing program- I put a post up about it in the filesharing forum-
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/t114163.html
basicly it is an encripted file sharer for a set network- new users have to be keyed in by an existing user. we were going to set up this program so that we could transfer files between our computers reletivly easy. however, you have to connect to the other user's ip address inorder to set up the network. from the sound of it, when I try to connect to his lan ip, my computer doesn't know what to do with it, and the 150.x.x.x is trying to connect to every computer on the University of Montana campus. any way that I can tell it to connect to a particular lan ip on another ip address? or a way that he could use a proxy so that there is a singal ip address that leads directly to his computer?

zaphodiv
03-23-2006, 10:19 AM
Your firend at college will not be able to recieve incoming connections. His waste client will have to connect out to another waste client with a reachable listening port. To get started your friends key will have to be imported by a reachable client and your friend will have to import the key of the reachable client.

my computer doesn't know what to do with it

Not quite. Unless you happen to be using the same subnet for your LAN your computer will send packets addressed to 10.x.x.x to your default gateway and your ISP will drop the packets.

the 150.x.x.x is trying to connect to every computer on the University of Montana campus.

No, that is the ip address of the NAT device or proxy at the university.

Tempestv
03-23-2006, 04:42 PM
So we would have to find a computer that connects to the local network at UM, and has a regular connection, and convince them to load and run this program?

zaphodiv
03-23-2006, 09:17 PM
Probably not. "another waste client with a reachable listening port" could the waste client running on your computer provided that if you have a firewall or connection sharing box you configure them to allow your waste client to receive incomign connections.

RealitY
03-23-2006, 10:04 PM
Does the encryption have to be used since if not maybe something like SoulSeek would serve better. As I recall it can connect fine in cases where only one end is open. Apps such as IRC and others may work though may be more difficult to setup. Think using tthat application in this situation may be difficult. If its a must to use encryption you may take a look at Filetopia as it has encrytion and recall can connect with only one end open also. It may allow what your trying to do and be much easier to setup...

GreyBear
04-14-2006, 05:23 AM
It seems that theres no way around the firewall... and yes its a school firewall.

1mane
05-11-2007, 07:01 AM
If you're connecting through a NAT router, or browsing via a proxy they will be different