PDA

View Full Version : Christian Convert Faces Death Penalty

thewizeard
03-23-2006, 06:57 AM
Yet he could be saved on a technicality...if he pleads insanity.. :blink:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-2098703,00.html

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2006%5C03%5C23%5Cstory_23-3-2006_pg4_10

Not only does Islam produce terrorists on a large scale, but even their followers are terrorised into remaining true to this archaic religion...or do I misunderstand something.

captain_azad
03-23-2006, 07:24 AM
This is so anti-islamic it's not even funny. The government is using, yet again, Islam as a shield. If you convert from a muslim to a non-muslim, no where does it say that you must be killed (punished) for this "crime".

Hypocrites are everywhere, almost all muslims nowadays are which sickens me, because they call themselves muslims. Real muslims don't even exists anymore, and those that do number in the very few and they certainly are not located in the M.E.

Yet it seems it's only in the M.E. that these kind of things happen, while muslims elsewhere would not do such things simply because they are forbidden in the Koran.

Hypocrites....

I remember a time when I used to argue against people who said the M.E. are a backwards oriented culture....how blind I was (which would make a hypocrite as well).

ilw
03-23-2006, 08:08 AM
i thought the penalty for becoming an apostate in islam has always been death.
Google agrees with me.

DanB
03-23-2006, 10:40 AM
Yet it seems it's only in the M.E. that these kind of things happen, while muslims elsewhere would not do such things simply because they are forbidden in the Koran.

I thought it was more down th the Sharia law thing which is why he faces death.

Your statement is probably true though cos its only the ME were they do observe their own funky law.

Convert to Christianity - sentenced to death
Kill 50 Christians in suicide bomb - eternal life and a harem of virgin hussys

captain_azad
03-23-2006, 10:00 PM

I thought it was more down th the Sharia law thing which is why he faces death.

Your statement is probably true though cos its only the ME were they do observe their own funky law.

Convert to Christianity - sentenced to death
Kill 50 Christians in suicide bomb - eternal life and a harem of virgin hussys

Ya, only in the M.E.

@ilw, google agrees with you because google just displays the opinions of others.

If you actually look it up in the Koran....

No, I have yet too, but such a law is contradictory to the whole "religion of tolerance and peace" theme dont you think? I shall look it up today if I get the time.

JPaul
03-23-2006, 10:08 PM
Wouldn't it, as others have noted, be considered apostasy, which I believe would be a capital offence under Sharia Law

maebach
03-23-2006, 10:43 PM
@ilw, google agrees with you because google just displays the opinions of others.

NO WAY!!!!!111 :O :O

j2k4
03-24-2006, 01:15 AM
Has the U.N. weighed in? :dry:

captain_azad
03-24-2006, 06:03 AM

The U.N. is a powerless entity incapable of doing jack all, just accepting kickbacks (coughcough, oil for food...).

Oh wait that's right, you always told me that one :pinch:

Well I'm a convert to that belief, should I be killed as well :unsure: ?

j2k4
03-24-2006, 10:45 AM

The U.N. is a powerless entity incapable of doing jack all, just accepting kickbacks (coughcough, oil for food...).

Oh wait that's right, you always told me that one :pinch:

Well I'm a convert to that belief, should I be killed as well :unsure: ?

Because you've correctly deduced the U.N. is a congress of lunacy?

Maybe.

Beware of persons wearing light-blue clothing; it's the official color of the U.N. assassin. :P

Tempestv
03-24-2006, 02:39 PM
apparently authoritys say that even if they let him go, there is a good chance that rioting crowds would "tear him to bits".- actual discription on the radio

Biggles
03-24-2006, 03:08 PM

Should the UN weigh in?

Should the UN determine what, if anything, merits the death penalty for every country? - Perhaps so.

It was only a few hundred years ago that apostasy earned the death penalty in Christendom - often with a bit of torture thrown in for good measure.

My own view is that the charge is insane and that religion cannot operate by compunction. However we cannot berate the UN over this one. After all it is US and UK forces that largely maintain the peace in that country. If he is executed, and I hope he isn't, then we are partly complicit.

vidcc
03-24-2006, 04:46 PM

Should the UN weigh in?

Should the UN determine what, if anything, merits the death penalty for every country? - Perhaps so.

I like this point. The death penalty is considered immoral, yet the USA has it in some states (I am for it in some cases but not all). We wouldn't accept UN opinion telling us what justifies the death penalty.

Apparently after becoming an atheist I have no knowledge of or credibility to comment on religious issues..... But I will anyway and say that any religious belief that justifes killing someone for changing religions is wrong.

Busyman
03-24-2006, 04:57 PM
Should the UN weigh in?

I like this point. The death penalty is considered immoral, yet the USA has it in some states (I am for it in some cases but not all). We wouldn't accept UN opinion telling us what justifies the death penalty.

Apparently after becoming an atheist I have no knowledge of or credibility to comment on religious issues..... But I will anyway and say that any religious belief that justifes killing someone for changing religions is wrong.
Religious mafia.

JPaul
03-24-2006, 05:13 PM
The death penalty is wrong.

So for anyone to support it, under their own value system, but to then decry others for using it is arguing that their value system is superior to that of others. I know that is stating the obvious, but I just thought I would mention it.

Oh and just so there's no doubt, they consider their values superior to your's as well, so it's all good.

j2k4
03-24-2006, 09:49 PM
I just can't figure why the U.N. would miss an opportunity to inveigh in it's accustomed feckless fashion over the slightest injustice.

Actually, I appreciate that it hasn't commented; I was being ironical.

It's a switch for me.

j2k4
03-24-2006, 09:51 PM

Oh, stop.

I'll agree with you this once.

peat moss
03-25-2006, 02:29 AM
I guess all the Christian Peacemaker Teams are in Iraq eating ice cream , safe and sound thanks to the Brit , Usa , and Can. Special forces .

All 3 of them .

Ah I 'm being harsh and don't mean to be . It's just that one of j2k4's posts in anouther thread made sence about the 3 hostages being freed . Sorry for spouting off .

human_pet
03-25-2006, 12:09 PM
"Had your Lord willed, all the people on earth would have believed. So can you compel people to believe?" The Quran(Yunus 10: 99).

This verse from The Holy Koran clearly states that no one can be force to believe even though we want them to.

Here's a better answer from a an Islamic Scholar:

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?pagename=IslamOnline-English-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaE&cid=1119503548996

JPaul
03-25-2006, 01:33 PM
Doesn't that contradict Sharia Law tho' which does impose the death penalty for apostasy. Or am I picking something up wrong.

Tempestv
03-25-2006, 04:12 PM
here is the problem: You are trying to make sense of religion. enough said.

j2k4
03-25-2006, 05:00 PM
here is the problem: You are trying to make sense of religion. enough said.

Fine.

Having concluded that, what's to be done?

Make some popcorn and watch the show?

It may be that some lives are taken before alternatives (forced immigration, minimally) are settled on.

Islam can change, right?

vidcc
03-25-2006, 06:55 PM
Islam can change, right?
Societies can evolve and religious beliefs or at least interpretations can change along with that evolution. But as to being able to change religion depends on how strong those beliefs within that religion are and can there be an exception that would allow the believer to be comfortable with the change. I don't know about Islams holy book but the bible is full of contradictions which seem to be cherry picked depending on need.

In this case is it a question of religious beliefs or a law based on religious beliefs. You are fully aware that I object to legislating based purely on religious beliefs, unfortunately in theocracies nearly everything is, which is why the church and state wall is a good thing here.

This particular case is an extreme example where there can be no other reason but religious beliefs for such a law to exist.

How would you suggest change occur ?

Can we change them ?

Could they change us ?

JPaul
03-25-2006, 07:06 PM
[QUOTE=Tempestv]

Islam can change, right?
Of course it can. You only have to consider that some Muslims consider conversion to another faith punishable by death and others totally deny that is what their Prophet teaches.

As is the case with most religions, the media choose to focus on the extreme elements who claim to represent the religion. Playing into the hands of those who wish to believe just that, that those people are representative of the majority who follow the religion.

You know as well as I that the majority of most people who follow religions are moderates. Who take more of a live and let live attitude towards life. That however does not make good news. Nor does it pander to those who hold that religion is the cause of all of the World's conflicts. When in fact it is more likely to be greed and the distribution of wealth, or lack thereof.