PDA

View Full Version : Applications You Would Actually Pay For

JPaul
03-23-2006, 07:47 PM
I pay a yearly subscription for Digiguide, it's about £9 ($127). I was wondering if there was any computer application, or subscription you would pay for if you couldn't steal it.

EDIT - Mods, can I buy an "o" to fix the thread title. - THANKS.

GepperRankins
03-23-2006, 07:59 PM
i paid for all seeing eye :smilie4:

DanB
03-23-2006, 08:04 PM
I paid for 3 rounds in the pub :unsure:

DorisInsinuate
03-23-2006, 08:17 PM
Flash MX 2004 is the only programme on my computer that can't be easily replaced with freeware. I probably would by it, since I can buy Macromedia Studio off my school for £80 :01:

Damnatory
03-23-2006, 08:27 PM
Mods, can I buy an "o" to fix the thread title.
That'll be a nickel please. :happy:

If they weren't readily replaced by other freeware, or otherwise obtained software, I would almost certainly pay for Photoshop, as well as DreamWeaver, and Diskeeper.
The one that I could put a definate on would be FireFox.

Mozilla is one of the only companies I can literally say that I would have no problems paying for their products.

maebach
03-23-2006, 08:32 PM
nero, office xp, nod32, dreamweaver, mx 2004 and dvdfab.

sometim4es I feel guilty for not paying :lookaroun

Busyman
03-23-2006, 09:13 PM
I subscribe to consumerreports.org at $26 a year. It influenced what washer and dryer, lawn tractor, and a host of other items that I bought.

I figured if I'm going to buy any high priced item to the most menial, I may as well know what's the best and what's the best for the price.

Hell they show you that a $1500 Kirby vacuum is shit compared to one for $180. :dabs:

Other than that, I'd buy Windows and Office.

lee551
03-23-2006, 09:23 PM
i paid for Guitar Pro, ~$50 at the time. fortunately i mod at one of their sites, so i get the new versions for free! i guess if you do something honest, you'll be rewarded. ha:lol:

j2k4
03-23-2006, 10:12 PM
Other than that, I'd buy....Office.

I've still got Office 2000 (from Lamsey, way back when), but recently DLed OpenOffice (free) on my laptop.

Haven't played with it yet, but MAXIMUMPC says it's comparable to, and compatible with, Office.

I've gotten in the habit of buying some mainstream stuff cuz I can write it off, but all the good stuff is on the margins, anyway.

I can hardly believe the variety of freeware, either.

Smith
03-23-2006, 10:15 PM

Why, you never have to pay for it...

Barbarossa
03-23-2006, 10:15 PM
MS Office I don't think I could do without.

Also, to some extent, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Delphi, SQL Server, and Nero.

Mr. Mulder
03-23-2006, 10:18 PM
i paid for the hardware to build the puter, and the monthly broadband charge, but i don't think ive ever paid for software/subscriptions :dabs:

GepperRankins
03-23-2006, 10:22 PM

Why, you never have to pay for it...
well i guess it's an achievement then :schnauz:

Spider_dude
03-23-2006, 10:37 PM
i dont really pay for anything, cept maybe alcohol.

JPaul
03-23-2006, 11:00 PM
i dont really pay for anything, cept maybe alcohol.
Oh, what will I post, hmm let me think.

I prefer Nero :lol:

tesco
03-23-2006, 11:13 PM
If there was no way to steal it, the only thing I can think of that i'd pay for is newsleecher.
I can't stand the alternatives for it, so i'd pay the small price.

Buffalo
03-23-2006, 11:22 PM
The only software I've ever bought was Via voice and it was crap

Photoshop, gif animator 5, cool edit pro.
it should be buy one get one free, but i'll have the free one please.
Photoshop is well cool, did not like the CS2, not as good.

Barbarossa
03-23-2006, 11:24 PM
I got ViaVoice for free with my first PC, and I felt like I'd been ripped off :o

Busyman
03-24-2006, 01:43 AM
Other than that, I'd buy....Office.

I've still got Office 2000 (from Lamsey, way back when), but recently DLed OpenOffice (free) on my laptop.

Haven't played with it yet, but MAXIMUMPC says it's comparable to, and compatible with, Office.

I've gotten in the habit of buying some mainstream stuff cuz I can write it off, but all the good stuff is on the margins, anyway.

I can hardly believe the variety of freeware, either.
Yeah OpenOffice is pretty good and it does work..enough.

The last REAL copy of Office I got was from my Italian instructor. The Student Teacher Edition (or something like that). I think WordPerfect reads Office docs as well.

I think if we didn't have the ubiquitous filesharing programs of today that the fact of buying software wouldn't be up for debate. Just look at console gaming. I remember a game called Phoenix for the Atari 2600 that cost $40 at Toys R Us. Now I have a modded Xbox and the thought of buying a game is rather foreign to me now.

I do like how Damnit said he'd buy FF though. While I wouldn't, he sees it as quality a product that deserves his money. Gotta admire that. I do the same with music.

The bad part is that I think most filesharers would't buy shit if they could get away with it. It probably comes down to a simple,"Why should I?"

If software makers were smart, they'd require online activation like Turbotax does.

missie
03-24-2006, 01:57 AM
None.

I'm such a stingy 'rag that I even refuse to pay for a haircut.
I own a perfectly good pair of scissors, thankyou muchly. :snooty:

Cheese
03-24-2006, 02:04 AM
If software makers were smart, they'd require online activation like Turbotax does.

Wrong. They removed it after complaints.

Cheese
03-24-2006, 02:07 AM
Software I have bought since I got broadband:

Half Life 2
Star Wars: Galaxies
Eve: Online
Space: Above and Beyond

(Three MMORPGs and a game that required online activation)

Software I will buy soon:

Elder Scrolls IV

Software I would buy:

twisterX
03-24-2006, 02:25 AM
I dont know if i would pay for any of it. Most of it if i was forced to pay i would use free software. Even though like MS Office is better i would put up with openoffice.

Busyman
03-24-2006, 04:46 AM

Wrong. They removed it after complaints.
Oh damn.:unsure:

edit: Ouch, I see Turbotax installed malware on the users computer too. Ewwww.:pinch:

Activation worked for Valve though.