PDA

View Full Version : Homework Help

Cheese
03-24-2006, 08:00 PM
I need a list of films that use the effect when the central character remains stationary (or doing little) and the rest of the world is sped up really fast.

(Those that watched my film last week will know what I mean.)

Also does anyone know if that sort of shot have a special name?

Cheers, my dears.

Proper Bo
03-24-2006, 08:20 PM
trainspotting does doesn't it?:unsure:

JPaul
03-24-2006, 08:26 PM
trainspotting does doesn't it?:unsure:
You should know the jargon, isn't it media studies gcse you're doing.

Proper Bo
03-24-2006, 08:27 PM
rod? I left school loiyke 3 years ago:dabs:

JPaul
03-24-2006, 08:29 PM
rod? I left school loiyke 3 years ago:dabs:
I thought you went to big school.

enoughfakefiles
03-24-2006, 08:30 PM
Doesn't the butterfly effect have this type of camera trickery in it :unsure:

Proper Bo
03-24-2006, 08:38 PM
rod? I left school loiyke 3 years ago:dabs: I thought you went to big school.

further roddage?

I did that for two years after, yes.

JPaul
03-24-2006, 08:41 PM
I thought you went to big school.

further roddage?

I did that for two years after, yes.
So what are you doing now.

Proper Bo
03-24-2006, 08:46 PM
avoiding attempted rodagge-ing it seems:unsure:

JPaul
03-24-2006, 08:50 PM
avoiding attempted rodagge-ing it seems:unsure:
Not from me, I genuinely didn't know you had left College and as such am entirely unaware of what you are currently doing.

It's no big deal tho' I was only asking.

@ Cheese - Sorry to wander off topic

100%
03-24-2006, 08:53 PM
any and all of Jim Jarmusch films

shot type known as : "im too slow"

GepperRankins
03-24-2006, 09:02 PM
never seen it, but how about the god father?

isn't that about a lazy old bastard that gets arsekissers to do stuff for him?

Cheese
03-24-2006, 09:12 PM
never seen it, but how about the god father?

isn't that about a lazy old bastard that gets arsekissers to do stuff for him?

Pretty lame, don't strain yourself. :ermm:

Guillaume
03-24-2006, 09:15 PM
The trip through the black monolith at the end of 2001, a space odyssey.

Not too sure, though.

JPaul
03-24-2006, 09:17 PM
Sorry mate, all I can think of is it appearing in music videos and even then I only have nebulous images. I take it you are looking for feature films.

EDIT - I can hear the tune but I don't recognise it. Really.

Cheese
03-24-2006, 09:18 PM
I think they have used the same sort of effect in Scrubs, also I've seen it in lots of adverts but I'd prefer a film to compare it to.

Does Human Traffic?

JPaul
03-24-2006, 09:20 PM
What about comparing it to the effects like those where we see fruit rotting, but over a few minutes. Or maggots eating a corpse. I think that's "stop motion" they use for that.

Wait a moment - The "original" Time Machine.

GepperRankins
03-24-2006, 09:23 PM
there's a bit in lock stock *smilie

Cheese
03-24-2006, 09:25 PM
Wait a moment - The original Time Machine.

Good one. :01:

The rotting fruit example will be useful as well. Cheers JPaul.

JPaul
03-24-2006, 09:28 PM
I could be wrong, but didn't they use the rotting thing in "The Belly of an Architect". That's from memory so it's probably pish.

Proper Bo
03-24-2006, 09:29 PM
hanson's mmmbop video used it:smilie4:

Cheese
03-24-2006, 09:31 PM
I think Garden State uses it as well, but that film might be a bit too obscure. Reccommended though to those who haven't seen it yet. It has the guy from Scrubs in it, funnily enough.

JPaul
03-24-2006, 09:33 PM
I think Garden State uses it as well, but that film might be a bit too obscure. Reccommended though to those who haven't seen it yet. It has the guy from Scrubs in it, funnily enough.
On the basis that Scrubs is top TV, I will steal said movie at the earliest opportunity.

manker
03-24-2006, 09:37 PM
Flowers opening and closing as the day passes (clouds/sun go overhead). Usually seen on nature programs.

Films aren't really my strong point but I guess the symbolism is the same :dabs:

Cheese
03-24-2006, 09:38 PM
I think Garden State uses it as well, but that film might be a bit too obscure. Reccommended though to those who haven't seen it yet. It has the guy from Scrubs in it, funnily enough. On the basis that Scrubs is top TV, I will steal said movie at the earliest opportunity.

In fact, the guy from Scrubs (Zach Braff) wrote and directed it as well. Natalie Portman is in it also.

JPaul
03-24-2006, 09:41 PM
Flowers opening and closing as the day passes (clouds/sun go overhead). Usually seen on nature programs.

Films aren't really my strong point but I guess the symbolism is the same :dabs:
I was thinking of that type of thing as well. However more the "pages falling from a wall calender" to mark the passage of time. I assumed that Chebus was more looking for isolation metaphors than straight forward pasage of time.

Having said that, since he's given up poetry and moved into the media studies field, it could be the more prosaic imagery he had in mind.

JPaul
03-24-2006, 09:42 PM
On the basis that Scrubs is top TV, I will steal said movie at the earliest opportunity.

In fact, the guy from Scrubs (Zach Braff) wrote and directed it as well. Natalie Portman is in it also.
If you tell me it was critically "panned" I may even go out and buy it.

manker
03-24-2006, 09:46 PM

I was thinking of that type of thing as well. However more the "pages falling from a wall calender" to mark the passage of time. I assumed that Chebus was more looking for isolation metaphors than straight forward pasage of time.

Having said that, since he's given up poetry and moved into the media studies field, it could be the more prosaic imagery he had in mind.Spose I didn't think about it that deeply.

You sound right :unsure:

Carcinus
03-25-2006, 12:34 AM
Why did you not ask me about this earlier?

I think the effect you mean is a mix of Time lapse photography, possibly with the central character on slow motion.

If you haven't already have a look at these.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time-lapse
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slow_motion
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_effect

JPaul
03-25-2006, 11:00 AM
Why did you not ask me about this earlier?

I think the effect you mean is a mix of Time lapse photography, possibly with the central character on slow motion.

If you haven't already have a look at these.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time-lapse
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slow_motion
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_effect
He didn't want you to get a headache by thinking too hard and then get all teary, what with you not getting the job and all. :console:

Carcinus
03-25-2006, 12:38 PM
I see. My pretty little head may have exploded with the thinking, and he didn't have time to ask me what with me being busy in the kitchen and all that?

JPaul
03-25-2006, 01:24 PM
I see. My pretty little head may have exploded with the thinking, and he didn't have time to ask me what with me being busy in the kitchen and all that?
Now you've got it.:hug:

Wolfmight
03-25-2006, 02:45 PM
I need a list of films that use the effect when the central character remains stationary (or doing little) and the rest of the world is sped up really fast.

(Those that watched my film last week will know what I mean.)

Also does anyone know if that sort of shot have a special name?

Cheers, my dears.
Saw and Phonebooth are kinda like that. Stationary and not doing much at all.