PDA

View Full Version : Who will take Premiership 4th?

Skillian
03-27-2006, 03:33 PM
And get into the Champion's League?

As a Spurs fan I'll say Spurs, but Arsenal, Bolton and Blackburn are in the running too. What d'you reckon?

Cheese
03-27-2006, 03:41 PM
I reckon Arsenal. The others will choke.

If Arsenal win the Champions League do they qualify automatically for next year regardless of position? I know Liverpool had problems last year and I'm wondering if they sorted that out.

Skillian
03-27-2006, 03:44 PM
That's kind of the dreaded situation. If Spurs come fourth but Arsenal win the Champions League, it'll be Arsenal that go to Europe. I think that's a definite now.

Barbarossa
03-27-2006, 03:53 PM
I reckon Arsenal. The others will choke.

If Arsenal win the Champions League do they qualify automatically for next year regardless of position? I know Liverpool had problems last year and I'm wondering if they sorted that out.

I think I heard somewhere that they wouldn't automatically qualify anymore, no.

Skillian
03-27-2006, 03:55 PM
Wow, I hope that's true. That situation's looking more and more likely.

Skillian
03-27-2006, 04:06 PM
:(

http://football.guardian.co.uk/championsleague200506/story/0,,1727976,00.html

A Uefa spokesman said: "We changed the rules last summer after Liverpool won the Champions League. So if Arsenal won the Champions League they would go directly into the group stages next season. The fourth-placed English team would, instead, go into the Uefa Cup."

Dammit Barbarossa, you got my hopes up :P

Barbarossa
03-27-2006, 04:11 PM
I stand corrected. :( Sorry 'bout that. I remember reading somewhere last year that the FA wouldn't intervene again. Never thought UEFA would make a sensible decision on their own :schnauz:

manker
03-27-2006, 04:40 PM
I think Arsenal will get there too. Spurs' form since the turn of the year has been pretty ordinary and I can't see the other two making it.

It would be great if Arsenal didn't get fourth, however.

Skillian
03-27-2006, 04:59 PM
Arsenal have a slightly easier run of games towards the end of the season so you might be right.

However, Arsenal V Spurs, 24th April will be a massive game. If Spurs can win that I think we'll do it.

Peerzy
03-27-2006, 05:49 PM
If Arsenal don't get 4th and don't win the champions league theres no way Henry will stay to play against Sevilla and Stuttgart in the Uefa Cup.

JPaul
03-27-2006, 08:23 PM
Arsenal will be in the top 4.

Spurs will do a "Newcastle" of a few years back and choke in the run in. They may not even get 5th.

Skillian
03-27-2006, 08:55 PM
Phew, that was close tonight.

Another three points on the board tho.

manker
03-27-2006, 10:06 PM
I feel a bit bad for the Baggies. They deserved at least a point there.

Poor Robbo :(

Barbarossa
03-28-2006, 09:08 AM
Phew, that was close tonight.

Another three points on the board tho.

Bah! :angry:

Oh well, looks like we're going down again. I just hope we drag Birmingham down with us. :(

DanB
03-28-2006, 10:17 AM
Spurs :01:

manker
03-28-2006, 10:20 AM
Btw, with our game in hand, we'll only be 9 points behind Chelsea - and we're playing them in the penultimate game of the season.

United's run-in isn't so bad and if Chelsea lose two more games in the next month, it could go right to the wire.

Wishful thinking, I know :dabs:

Mr JP Fugley
03-28-2006, 01:31 PM
Btw, with our game in hand, we'll only be 9 points behind Chelsea - and we're playing them in the penultimate game of the season.

United's run-in isn't so bad and if Chelsea lose two more games in the next month, it could go right to the wire.

Wishful thinking, I know :dabs:
We couldn't lose with about 5 games to go last year. Then on the last day we were playing Motherwell, with a few minutes to go ....

manker
03-28-2006, 01:46 PM
It's a funny old game, mate :smilie4:

JPaul
03-28-2006, 07:27 PM
I can't see it happen again this year.

Nice wee SPL and CIS Cup in GS' first year. With the possible added bonus of t'huns winning nowt and not getting into the Champs League.

I'll take that if I can get it.

C'Mon the Jambos

GR81
03-30-2006, 02:17 PM
The only points Arsenal are likely to drop in the run in is away at the dirty Mancs. Bolton have a horrible run in. Tottenham isn't the easiest either and they recent form has been a bit iffy. Blackburn are the dark horses as they don't have the toughest run in.

With the form we've hit I see us winning each of our remaining games with the Man U result the only one where we won't win as we gave up beating them three years ago!

Predictions: Arsenal 4th, Blackburn 5th, Spurs 6th, Bolton 7th.

manker
04-01-2006, 04:54 PM
Arsenal have just moved into pole-position. It's in their own hands now.

Shocked, I am :dry:

chinook_apache
04-02-2006, 08:57 PM
as an arsenal fan im inclined to bias. I think arsenal will make the fourth spot at the end of the season.
i read someone saying arsenal have it kinda easy for their remaining matches. well they play man u next week and spurs late in april. these are two big games which arsenal need to win not tie to make that 4th spot
after watching the juve game and the aston villa game yesterday i think if arsenal maintain quality like football they should be able to win against man u however man u are playing gr8 as well 8 wins now on a trot...i think.
but its true of spurs they tend to bottle it at the end of the season time..this has happened a few times now.
will have to look forward to next season as i doubt chelsea will be runaway leaders by mid january.
on that note i hope Henry stays as well although i wouldnt object in him going.

manker
04-02-2006, 09:01 PM
You wouldn't object to the premier striker in the world leaving your favourite club. Are you mental :D

I've got tickets for the Man Utd Vs Arsenal match, rarely have the two teams played with each in such good form.

I can't wait!

chinook_apache
04-02-2006, 09:04 PM
lol yeah i know it sounds crazy! however i think if the guy wants to go to barca and play with the other two great players in the world at the mo then he should be allowed to go. it would be great to see how he plays with that great talent...not that there aint great talent at arsenal now!
however arsenal are not short of strikers if he does go, there is walcott, lupoli, van persie, adebayor so arsenal would not be short of strikers.
but yeah i hope he stays :P

JPaul
04-02-2006, 10:00 PM
You wouldn't object to the premier striker in the world leaving your favourite club. Are you mental :D

Sean Maloney isn't at his club.

kopite08
04-03-2006, 09:28 AM
Arsenal are on a red hot streak atm. When they're in that sort of form, no side in the premiership can compete with them. Both goals of Henry's were class and I reckon they've got fourth sewn up with the woeful form of Spurs.

manker
04-22-2006, 01:37 PM
Terry Henry just equalised for Arsenal, it's 1-1 now.

Spurs scored when two Arsenal players, apparently, ran into each other. My Korean isn't that good but I'm sure the commentators were telling jokes and laughing about the incident while watching the goal replays.

Quality.

Cheese
04-22-2006, 01:45 PM
I hope Spurs get fourth place but Arsenal win the Champions League and steal Spurs place. That would make me laugh.

manker
04-22-2006, 01:59 PM
I hope Spurs get fourth place but Arsenal win the Champions League and steal Spurs place. That would make me laugh.
Yeah, me too. Heh.

What'spunk.
04-22-2006, 08:46 PM
It would be great if the English FA had to support a change in the rules for the second year in a row.

Basically because it would be their decision which one went into the champions league and that really would be a no-win.

manker
04-23-2006, 11:22 AM
It would be great if the English FA had to support a change in the rules for the second year in a row.

Basically because it would be their decision which one went into the champions league and that really would be a no-win.
http://www.msgweb.nl/emoticons/50_50.gif

If you weren't such a brand new member, I'd say that was a rod. If Arsenal don't manage to pre-qualify thro' the Premiership but win t'cup, they will take the EPL fourth positioned team's place in next seasons CL.

Mind, that's just what I've heard people saying. I've not read it anywhere official.

What'spunk.
04-23-2006, 11:28 AM
The way I heard it, in such a situation.

Arsenal win the Cup

Spurs are Fourth.

Then the place is given by the English FA. That's what they said onTalksport anyway. I may have picked it up wrong, but I think EUFA's attitude was "If it happens again, sort it out in the country concerned"

I think it's just assumed that Arsenal would get it after what the FA did and said last year. Which is what my last post was about.

manker
04-23-2006, 11:44 AM
Just had a quick scout about on the BBC site now and it appears that new rules have been brought in which will deny Spurs a place in the CL if Arsenal finish below them but win the thing.

New rules brought in this season would deny Spurs if they finish fourth in the Premiership and rivals Arsenal finish below them but win the European Cup.http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/t/tottenham_hotspur/4928328.stm

I was gonna look on the UEFA site itself but it's too difficult to navigate of a Sunday morning with a hangover :dabs:

What'spunk.
04-23-2006, 12:23 PM
Thanks, I was sure I heard that it would be up to the FA. In effect they gave the places to the first four teams, but if they wanted to then they could replace the fourth team with the winners of the cup, only if they wanted to.

I didn't realize that the EUFA regulation stated that in these circumstances then they had to get it. I must have picked it up wrong.

What'spunk.
04-23-2006, 12:33 PM
Rule 1.03 "At the request of the national association concerned ...the fourth placed club in the top domestic league championship has to be entered for the UEFA cup".

That's what confuses me, it seems to be that the FA has to request the change. It doesn't count for countries with less than four entries.

http://www.uefa.com/Competitions/UCL/Format/newsId=316773.html

manker
04-23-2006, 01:42 PM
Yeah, I see what you mean.

Seems like the FA have to request it. UEFA have put the onus on the regulatory body of the nation concerned, which is a bit naughty.

I reckon that the FA must have said exactly what they will do should such a situation arise at the time when this provision was implemented - which is put forward the winners of the cup and relegate the 4th placed team to the waffa cup. I think this because anyone I've heard talking about the possible scenario on the TV or interweb has been utterly certain that Arsenal would go into next year's CL for definite if they win it.

Again, I can't find any reference to it tho' :D

What'spunk.
04-23-2006, 01:54 PM
I think UEFA has just taken the position - If it happens again, you decide. However people just haven't picked up on it as if it was a UEFA decision.

It would be interesting to see what the FA said about it at the start of the year, if anything.

If they didn't allow for it in their rules then surely Spurs can expect the place, because that's the norm. If they said that the cup winner would get it, then Spurs have no complaint.

Skillian
05-08-2006, 09:55 AM
What a sickening end to my little thread. :(

Couldn't have finished any worse really. I would have taken a UEFA Cup spot at the beginning of the season but it doesn't seem like much of an achievement now.

Barbarossa
05-08-2006, 09:58 AM
What a sickening end to my little thread. :(

Couldn't have finished any worse really. I would have taken a UEFA Cup spot at the beginning of the season but it doesn't seem like much of an achievement now.

Fuck off. We got relegated. :emo:

The Premiership is dead to me next year :snooty:

Skillian
05-08-2006, 11:25 AM
True, true.

My "second" team, Leyton Orient, got promoted in pretty dramatic fashion so I think I'll just linger on that today.

Barbarossa
05-08-2006, 11:27 AM
I don't have a second team.
Having one team is depressing enough. :(

DorisInsinuate
05-08-2006, 12:35 PM
I think Arsenal can take 4th now they're in the driving seat.

Barbarossa
05-08-2006, 12:44 PM

I think whoever wins the third semi final in that other competition could also pip them to 4th spot.

They're dangerous.

Tom Leo plays for them :fear:

DorisInsinuate
05-08-2006, 01:45 PM

I think whoever wins the third semi final in that other competition could also pip them to 4th spot.

They're dangerous.

Have they decided the fifth team in that competition yet?

Mr JP Fugley
05-10-2006, 05:31 PM

They're dangerous.

Have they decided the fifth team in that competition yet?
The Seattle SeaHorses.