PDA

View Full Version : sky+ box to pc

andyv12
03-27-2006, 06:06 PM
hi i was wondering i have a sky+ box that has a 40gb hard drive and i wanted to move some of the recorded stuff to my pc is this possible my sky box has a scart lead and my pc has a video in/tv out connector on it.

and do i need some sort of recording software on my pc to do so

any suggestions would be apreciated

andy

mikeco
03-27-2006, 06:24 PM
:unsure: not sure if this will work but u could try putting the harddrive inside ur pc and transfering it that way, i heard that there IDE harddrives (some one at ebuyer was buying a 300gb harddrive to put inside his)

might wanna try google'ing to find out :)

andyv12
03-27-2006, 06:31 PM
ahhh thanks alot i might open her up and take a look at the hard drive see how it looks, just hope the media is in avi or mpeg format

thanks again

vivitron 15
03-29-2006, 09:13 AM
it wont work to do it that way, as the hard disk is encrypted.

you'll need to hook the video out from sky to video in for your pc...then as you rightly said, run some software to capture the images. It depends on your video-in on the pc as to what's best...try dvdrhelp.com for advice, or post back...

GR81
03-30-2006, 01:58 PM
Is there a wireless way of transferring stuff between Sky+ and the PC. It's just that my PC and Sky+ are too far from each other. I do have a wireless router. Anyway of sticking something in the Sky+ USB port to get it to work or is it a hopeless endeaour?

lynx
03-30-2006, 05:31 PM
Do you have software to talk to the Sky+ box via USB? I didn't think any had been released. If not, then you probably can't talk to it that way.

GR81
03-30-2006, 05:42 PM
Do you have software to talk to the Sky+ box via USB? I didn't think any had been released. If not, then you probably can't talk to it that way.

No, I was just asking if it was possible to transfer things through a wireless connection. The USB was just a suggestion!

lynx
03-30-2006, 09:22 PM
AFAIK the only connectors which aren't directly related to Satellite input or video output/passthrough are the USB ports. It's my understanding that they have been provided for some possible (and as yet undisclosed) future functions.

Maybe those will include something like a network or USB modem connection. If there's a network connection there's no reason at all why that couldn't connect straight to a wireless AP, but at the moment there's no such provision.

vivitron 15
04-04-2006, 09:40 AM
I think the best system for you to use would be a wireless video-sender, which would plug in to the scart of the sky box, and then probably an adaptor to convert the other end scart to something you can plug into your pc.

You will, of course, have to hit "play" on the sky box, and "record" on the pc, and wait through the program - unfortunately no way to transfer the files quickly

JPaul
04-04-2006, 07:09 PM
The simplest current solution is to connect the sky+ box to a dvd recorder. By SCART. That way you can get a copy as good as the original, onto a DVD RW. The transfer that to the PC.

It's convoluted but it will work.

RichyT
04-05-2006, 10:57 AM
I read somewhere that the format that the files are saved onto the Sky+ harddrive, is not recognisably by a PC. Nobody has come up with anything (Apart from Sky themselves) which can decode it.

If you want to put them on the PC, get yourself the right cables, and stick your SCART output from SKY into the back of your PC. And get some PVR software to record them into MPEG, DivX, or whatever you want.

It won't be quick (Realtime, obviously). But, that's the only way to get them watchable on PC :)

However, on another note, it is entirely possible for you to fit a bigger harddrive into your Sky+ box.