PDA

View Full Version : Will a static ip help me get better speeds?

htmark
03-28-2006, 05:55 PM
Does anyone know this?

j0hn
03-28-2006, 07:14 PM
no, it makes absolutely no difference
dynamic i.ps only change when u reconnect, or with some isps they change periodically
either way, clients dont remember what host sent what/when.
only thing a static i.p helps with is private trackers.
with a dynamic i.p, u usually have to visit the private trackers website in order for them to associate that i.p with ur account.
saying that, more and more trackers are switching to trackers with pass keys, where ur i.p may not matter at all.

htmark
03-28-2006, 07:54 PM
Thanks

zedaxax
03-28-2006, 08:11 PM
well said

SeaderX
03-29-2006, 09:17 PM
What John said is technical right.

Although, some of the BitTorrent Clients have what is called "Fast Resume".

What this means is before the Client trys to get a new list of IPs from the tracker. it will use an old list to try and get a few connections very quickly. If your IP address never changes (Static IP) you may get a few connections faster, and if the Tracker is offline users will still be able to download and upload from yourself.

:-)

Hope this help.

limbeck6
03-30-2006, 03:46 AM
How do you port forward unless you have a static ip?
I thought you had to specify 1 ip when port forwarding, and I know PF increases speed.

Am i wrong here?

Gamerguy6
03-30-2006, 06:20 AM
Portforwarding just helps you be connectable and connect to other peers that arent connectable.So yeah you do get faster speeds.

Kirkedir
03-30-2006, 07:55 AM
Better to use usb modems. :)
No need to portforward. ;)

j0hn
03-30-2006, 08:44 AM
i couldnt agree more :)
yesterday i read a comment on a forum that any modem that uses usb deserves to be in a museum
but 99% of queries or connective troubles i see concern routers and port forwarding
waste of time

DrOctagon
03-30-2006, 09:45 AM
i couldnt agree more :)
yesterday i read a comment on a forum that any modem that uses usb deserves to be in a museum
but 99% of queries or connective troubles i see concern routers and port forwarding
waste of time

I would agree somewhat. I have a router through Telefonica in Spain, a Xavi7768r. I cannot forward my ports because to get a static ip, i have to pay an extra 16 euros a month. What a joke.

Borgs8472
03-31-2006, 02:01 AM
^ ^
dude, you need a static IP on your local NETWORK, (e.g. 192.168.1.2), it doesn't matter if your ISP's IP is dynamic.

DrOctagon
03-31-2006, 06:41 PM
^ ^
dude, you need a static IP on your local NETWORK, (e.g. 192.168.1.2), it doesn't matter if your ISP's IP is dynamic.

That's what i thought but when i set the static ip i can't connect to the internet. I've followed the guides on portforwarding.com and it says if you can't connect it is to do with the DNS servers but i have made sure they are correct as well. Anyone have any suggestions?

hugh.jeego
04-01-2006, 01:30 PM
yea but i got 4 computers in my house and a laptop so a router is 100% necessary. We just have a wi-fi network, and there is now way i could stand having to use a usb modem with telephone wires trailing everywhere, and opnly one user on at a time. for some, a router is the only way to got, and i would rather be less connectable, that to have to use a usb modem. for others it is easier to use a usb mdem.