PDA

View Full Version : Xp Install

fallenknight308
04-25-2003, 07:46 AM
Okay, okay, I hope this question does not piss anyone off :P
Getting windows xp. It is in .exe form.
My question is: Do you have to open the .exe file and THEN burn the contents to an image on cd, or do you just burn the .exe to the cd? Which way will enable it, so when I boot from cd on a clean HD its ready to install from there?
Thank you!

TRshady
04-25-2003, 07:50 AM
Unzip it, then burn the unzipped contents onto a cd. Theres the autorun already there so your'll be ok.

Ma5t3rM1nD
04-25-2003, 07:51 AM
Well all you do is unzip all the files to wherever and then you burn every single file/folder to disc. Once you have done that you pop the cd into your disc drive and it will auto run because their is a auto run file in the files and your ready to go.

ck-uk
04-25-2003, 07:57 AM
Do mean auto run through windows or boot up ur comp from dos with nothing on ur h/d :)

fallenknight308
04-25-2003, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by CosmoK@24 April 2003 - 23:57
Do mean auto run through windows or boot up ur comp from dos with nothing on ur h/d :)
When I install, it will be "clean" as in Nothing but a partition in dos :o

vegeta
04-25-2003, 08:46 AM
hey kid just make a folder named win xp and extract the zip in it and start the setup.i hope u can read the instructions during installation and continue :P

fallenknight308
04-25-2003, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by vegeta@25 April 2003 - 00:46
hey kid just make a folder named win xp and extract the zip in it and start the setup.i hope u can read the instructions during installation and continue :P
OK, thats reaaaally funny as I am 26!
And I only started using a computer one year ago! contrary to popular belief, not everyone owns a comp B)
Yes I do know how to "extract to a folder" <_<
I need to make a CLEAN install. I have installed my current OS many times (winME) but have never installed
an OS I got off the internet. Just wanted to make sure it was done RIGHT&#33; B)

Rocktron
04-25-2003, 09:14 AM
I&#39;m still waiting to update my ME to XP, but i just don&#39;t dare yet&#33;

But this is what i heard you should do...

1. Extract it to a folder
2. Burn it to a cd (not the folder but just the contents) (Duh&#33;)
3. Format your c: drive (yes yes... it&#39;s better this way, but you already said you would)
4. Reboot your pc with the New XP disc in a boot cd drive (A cd drive that&#39;s connected as "master") or it won&#39;t boot.
5. Follow instructions, and when he ask about your configuration (you drive is formatted in FAT32) choose KEEP configuration&#33;)

And... than... it should install and leave your hd in FAT32 format (if you want to change back to ME because it sucks.. maybe?)

I&#39;m planning to do the same... but as explained above... i&#39;m waiting for the best moment..
(But i have a real copy of XP with the latest service packs. I suggest.. get one also to be safe&#33;)
Or test the new burned disc first and boot it up..
Oh.. and make shure your ethernet card is XP compatible&#33;

Good Luck man&#33;

spudlover
04-25-2003, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Rocktron@25 April 2003 - 09:14
And... than... it should install and leave your hd in FAT32 format (if you want to change back to ME because it sucks.. maybe?)
ME is one of the worst Microsoft OS&#39;s out there.

If you&#39;ve got a reasonably new machine, you&#39;ll never look back once you get XP.

Rocktron
04-25-2003, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by spudlover+25 April 2003 - 12:12--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (spudlover @ 25 April 2003 - 12:12)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Rocktron@25 April 2003 - 09:14

If you&#39;ve got a reasonably new machine, you&#39;ll never look back once you get XP. [/b][/quote]
Maybe so..,

I have 2 computers and this one in the living room workes great&#33; No problems what so ever.
But the one in the music room doesn&#39;t work with ME, it hangs after clicking Start already&#33;

And XP.., well i have browsed alot around this forum and i see so many problem questions, that i just don&#39;t dare to
install XP. Tryed it about 5 times now, and it still doesn&#39;t work for me.
I think you just have to have a NEW computer that is remanufactured and updated to work with XP.
My suggestion is: If you own an old (let&#39;s say 800MHZ P3 computer like mine).. leave XP alone&#33;

accat13
04-25-2003, 01:20 PM
Rocktron Posted on 25 April 2003 - 06:30
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QUOTE (spudlover @ 25 April 2003 - 12:12)
QUOTE (Rocktron @ 25 April 2003 - 09:14)
And... than... it should install and leave your hd in FAT32 format (if you want to change back to ME because it sucks.. maybe?)&nbsp;

If you&#39;ve got a reasonably new machine, you&#39;ll never look back once you get XP.&nbsp;

Maybe so..,

I have 2 computers and this one in the living room workes great&#33; No problems what so ever.
But the one in the music room doesn&#39;t work with ME, it hangs after clicking Start already&#33;

And XP.., well i have browsed alot around this forum and i see so many problem questions, that i just don&#39;t dare to
install XP. Tryed it about 5 times now, and it still doesn&#39;t work for me.
I think you just have to have a NEW computer that is remanufactured and updated to work with XP.
My suggestion is: If you own an old (let&#39;s say 800MHZ P3 computer like mine).. leave XP alone&#33;&nbsp; Your CRAZY winxp pro on 667 mhz celeron 512meg sdram works great .Very few crashes since upgradeing from 98se.And yes this is a downloaded version for educational purposes only. I will be running right out to buy the retail version right away ;)

fallenknight308
04-25-2003, 07:36 PM
Thanks guys ;)

accat13
04-25-2003, 09:49 PM
balamm Posted on 25 April 2003 - 14:50
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
One thing you all missed is if he or anyone is trying to install on an HP built PC then a lot of problems can be expected. HP&#39;s proprietary drivers and hardware are gonna be a bitch to sort out. And- Once again, WIPE THAT DISC before you install. Killdisk From Google, Fdisk from the startup disk, then format. And the proper command for a clean disk is A:>format c: /s or A:>format c: followed by " A:>sys c:
( format only writes tables&#33;)DO NOT install ANY XP/NT system to FAT32. The reason you can&#39;t see NTFS from win 98 is because that&#39;s what it was designed to do. Others then can&#39;t see it either. Security First&#33;&nbsp; Yes HP can be a bitch they have an annoying habit of selling systems with the operating system set up on separate partition for a restore.It would be much nicer if they just gave you the disc with your O.S. on it. You loose your drive you lose your O.S. Great system :angry:

Ma5t3rM1nD
04-26-2003, 01:31 AM
LoL. I have a Pentium 2 333MHz with 256mb ram and I haven&#39;t had one problem with a downloaded Win XP Pro yet and I have been running it for quiet some time. The only problem I have is that it take&#39;s up quiet a bit space on my tiny hard drive.

Wolfmight
04-26-2003, 05:26 AM
it seems to allways have some sort of currupt bullcrap file or whatnot when i downloaded it off kazaa. (I tried 3 diffrent times..all had 3 diffrent currupted files, thus the previous ones in 1 and 2 were like no currupt, heh..)

I did a search on packetnews.com, searched for XP PRO sp1 (intergrated one)
I downloaded it with a DIRECT DOWNLOAD..fast...easy...and the whole package from 1 guy=no curruption.

learn to use irc and try that if u keep the currupted files and stuff.

Irc and emule are 2nd resourt programs for stuff.

silkworm
06-05-2003, 04:35 PM
Another newbie with questions... The system I want to upgrade is W98 2nd Ed. The box is a Compaq Presario 5441 with AMD K-6 and 312 MB RAM (after I added 256 MB card). I do not have a CD burner, but I have a pockey drive (it&#39;s a mobile hard drive). I am currently trying to get Win XP Pro Corp from Kazaa. Somebody please tell me what detailed steps I need to take to install XP (including file back-ups, formatting the HD, etc.). Can I do it w/o a CD? If necessary, I will look arounf for a friend to burn this for me on a CD, although I&#39;d rather try an alternate method (pockey drive?). :blink:

Other considerations... Internet is through condo dedicated Ethernet connection. The box I want to upgrade does not have Ethernet card, but I connect Ethernet to USB port on PC via an adapter.

Thanks to all&#33; :)

Wizzandabe
06-05-2003, 05:42 PM
bear in mind if you are getting the .exe form kazaa you will need to rename it to .sio

silkworm
06-05-2003, 09:00 PM
Why rename the .exe to .sio? What is .sio? Does this enable me to install Win XP Pro Corp from hard drive instead of CD? ... :blink: ...

Somebody1234
06-05-2003, 09:09 PM
It&#39;s .iso not .sio

ilw
06-05-2003, 09:10 PM
rename it to .iso which is a cd image