PDA

View Full Version : Routers...

Duffman
03-31-2006, 12:48 AM
I'm gonna due a network in my friends house on about 4 computers. So I went out and didn't something frowned upon, and just bought a router at circuit city. I didn't do it completley stupid, I bought linksys, a trusted brand, and I'm not gonna open it either until I am sure that its good. So anyways I got them a Linksys WRT54G, so If anyone here has or has experience with this particular model, give the details. Thanks. Duffman.

Duffman
03-31-2006, 12:52 AM
Ok, update I skimmed a couple of reviews over, all good, 4/5 5/5 etc etc. Now anyone that has experience setting up networks for people that aren't really computer nuts I got some questions.

I know I have had problems forwarding ports and shit with my pos no name brand, but on average, how often does a non filesharing person have to deal with ports and that stuff.

Also I know for someone that is into good computer stuff and speed typically gets top of the line for routers and internet connection related stuff, but if I have someone that isn't really doing that sort of thing, is less quality still gonna cause problems, i'm trying to make this so I don't get a phone call once a week because the router needs to be reset or there getting firewall issues, whats the best way to go about this thing.

Borgs8472
03-31-2006, 01:58 AM
You need to port forward for many internet-connected applications. Often doing so is an optional step to achieve better performance.

Examples you might need to port forward for:
Online games
FTPing
VNC controlling of your pc
Peer to Peer programmes you know ;)
etc

Don't look at the router as a problem, just think of what you need to do, google for it or check it out at http://www.portforward.com/ and set up your router accordingly.

Also, secure your router if it's wireless so neighbours and wardrivers don't nick your bandwidth.

Virtualbody1234
03-31-2006, 02:52 AM
I have that router. It works fine for me and it's easy to setup and to forward ports.

Duffman
03-31-2006, 03:37 AM
awesome...

muchspl3
03-31-2006, 05:42 AM
I have that router. It works fine for me and it's easy to setup and to forward ports.
same

I wonder if he got lucky and got a older one (pre version 5)
you can do some great things with the wrt54g

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HyperWRT