PDA

View Full Version : Software to remotely download torrents

ymee
04-01-2006, 09:32 AM
Hi everyone,
There are times when I am away from home and come across a torrent I would like to download, I use utorrent and so far it doesnt have the ability to remotely activate torrent downloads...not sure about azureus. I was thinking of writing some software that would reside on your home computer and would allow you to "Send" it the .torrent file and it would automatically start the torrent download using your fav torrent download program.

Would this be usefull to anyone?

Thanks
ymee

vivitron 15
04-01-2006, 10:51 AM
you could always ftp the .torrent home, and have your favourite app pick it up...thats what i used to do with .nzbs

ymee
04-01-2006, 07:38 PM
thats true but that means setting up a ftp server at home and opening ports in the firewall etc. I was thinking along the lines of emailing the torrent to your personal account and the app would scan the email, find the .torrent file and start the download for you....would that be usefull to anyone?

eMinor7
04-02-2006, 08:54 PM
This sounds pretty useful. I would use it.

ilikechikin
04-02-2006, 09:02 PM
you could use remote access.

horia
04-03-2006, 07:44 AM
the easyest way ... in my opinion .. is to use azureus and it's swing interface or java ... set up the password and port for the interface and after that u're set to go and u can upload any torrent that is on the remote machine, u can stop , pause , delete , and much more . and think this is the best chioce u can have .. enjoy .

Punkzila
04-03-2006, 04:59 PM
I would like to have a soft like that, I always see the best torrents when I at work, and I always forget to download at home...

the_base_head
04-03-2006, 05:06 PM
thats true but that means setting up a ftp server at home and opening ports in the firewall etc. I was thinking along the lines of emailing the torrent to your personal account and the app would scan the email, find the .torrent file and start the download for you....would that be usefull to anyone?

that would be totally dope. i'd use it.

horia
04-06-2006, 07:23 AM
that would be totally dope. i'd use it.

in my opinion way to complicated...

lynx
04-06-2006, 11:45 AM
Possibly write it as an extension to Thunderbird?

If you can add it as an extra filter action you can use standard filter features to trigger the action and at the same time block malicious emails by using a phrase that is only known to the user.

The option for performing the default action is already implemented in Thunderbird so activating that function should be easy enough.

ymee
04-07-2006, 05:31 AM
Ok here it is, please give it a try and let me know if there are any issues. Download from http://bouncingknee.com/?page_id=27

Heres how it works (also on web link)

1. Install program and set your POP mail server settings
2. Set how often it should check email for torrents
3. Set the keyword it should look for in the email to signify a torrent was sent by you.
4. Press the start button.

5. Send yourself a torrent file via email and in the subject type anything as long as the keyword is contained in it, for e.g. if keyword is ".torrent" then subjectline can be ".torrent" or "just a random subject line .torrent". This is in case someone else emails you a .torrent file the program wont start downloading it (malicious files for e.g)
6. The program should see the new email come in and automatically download and start the .torrent download.

Thanks
:stars:

Adam_231
04-07-2006, 09:46 AM
Surely its easier to use Swing UI or WebUI plugins for Azuerus. They also allow for more functionality :)

ymee
04-08-2006, 12:03 AM
absolutely, if you use azureus thats the way to go, however I prefer utorrent and there isnt a web interface....so far.

mootaccount
04-08-2006, 09:05 AM
I use a the official command-line bittorrent client in a *nix machine. It scans for torrent files in a folder that you specify. So I just need to drop the file in that folder and I pick the downloaded at home.

Adam_231
04-08-2006, 09:26 AM
absolutely, if you use azureus thats the way to go, however I prefer utorrent and there isnt a web interface....so far.

Then I guess its a useful app ;)

Just out of curiosity, why do you prefer uTorrent?

j0hn
04-08-2006, 10:16 AM
Surely its easier to use Swing UI or WebUI plugins for Azuerus. They also allow for more functionality :)
utorent are currently beta testing a webui feature :)
given the speed of utorrent development, expect out it next month :D

mrbluesman
04-17-2006, 06:10 PM
Azureus + WebUI plugin = job done

PeroMed
04-17-2006, 06:41 PM
Maybe you should just add a filter so it accepts only torrents from your mail for safety...

the mighty
04-17-2006, 08:33 PM
Do you mean a program like this...

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2006/01/18/ted-automatic-tv-torrent-downloader/

http://www.rulecam.net/ted/index.php

04-17-2006, 10:32 PM
email your work email with an invitation for remote access, this works w/ all xp home and xp pro users and you'll remotely be on your p.c.

I like this the best.

macosbrain
04-18-2006, 04:50 AM
the easyest way ... in my opinion .. is to use azureus and it's swing interface or java ... set up the password and port for the interface and after that u're set to go and u can upload any torrent that is on the remote machine, u can stop , pause , delete , and much more . and think this is the best chioce u can have .. enjoy .

swing is very slow better is the html interface -> http://azureus.sourceforge.net/plugin_details.php?plugin=azhtmlwebui

flipper321
04-18-2006, 06:01 AM
Or if setting up remote access seems a little complicated logmein.com offer a free easier solution - it's what I use as I was struggling getting through my works firewall with utorrent's remote control functions.