PDA

View Full Version : Network Trouble

mobboss01
04-25-2003, 07:52 PM
Hi,

I have searched on the internet and tried to post in a networking forum, but came up empty handed. Maybe one of you guys can help me out.

Ok, I really need suggestions here. I am having major trouble with accessing network files stored on my office server. In addition, if I try to open Word or Excel files from the server, my computer stops responding. That server is running with NT 2000 Server. I must say that when I ran office with my Win98, I never had trouble accessing files on the network. Since I started using XP Pro, I cannot figure out why this is happening. I would appreciate some help in getting my files accessed in a reasonable amount of time and figure out a solution as to why Word and Excel files make my computer not respond. I have been copying and pasting those files to my desktop just to open them and work.
Thanks in advance.

If there are any networking software that I can install to speed up my access, post that here too. Or, if I can just make some adjustments in my configurations, that would be also great.

PS. I access my network server through a switch and I am able to access the internet through the same switch. It is a cable modem and the speed on the internet is fast. Just the server commands are sluggish to unacceptable.

4play
04-26-2003, 06:36 AM
do you have a firewall on such as the win xp one.

also do you have netbeui switched on for the tcp/ip protocal.

are you both in the same workgroup?

does the win nt server have a firewall switched on?

answer some of these and you will probably be one step closer to getting connected.

mobboss01
04-27-2003, 03:43 AM
My XP firewall is not enabled.

also do you have netbeui switched on for the tcp/ip protocal

Should I have netbeui switched on? I am not sure. But will check.

For the workgroup, I do know that I am on the same domain. We use a domain instead of a workgroup.

Firewall, the server does have a firewall, I can access the files, just not fast enough. The server gives me access to the internet and that is fast, just opening the files on the server cause my M$ Office to stop responding. I have been copying files from the server to my computer in order to open them, but do not want to do that anymore.

mobboss01
04-29-2003, 04:11 AM
I have installed and enabled netbeui, but no faster result. I can't believe that a faster computer with a newer OS acts like this. Any more suggestions would be appreciated.

imported_QuietSilence!
04-29-2003, 04:38 AM
first make shure u have both read and wright access to the shared folder or disk on the server

also i will help if u map the shared folder or drive to a driveletter on ur comp

to map a drive or folder first go to it in network naborhood and right click on it and slect map network drive then give it letter i uasly start at Z and work my way up and check the restore when i boot my comp

now when u ckick on my computer u should see the shared drive or folder in the window under the drive letter u chouse earlyer

mobboss01
04-29-2003, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the tips Quietsilence!, however, I do have read/write privelages and have mapped my network drives to my computer.

I have thought it may be my cable, perhaps it is faulty. However, I can access the internet with proper speeds with that rj-45 so I am skeptical that the cable is messed up.

4play
04-29-2003, 01:01 PM
what nic cards do you use are you sure they are 100 mb ones.

When you try to use an app from the remote computer check out its cpu usage and see if it is that.

test its hard drive to see what kinda transfer rates you can get.

What kinda speeds have you been getting through the network?

mobboss01
04-30-2003, 11:52 PM
I have replaced my NIC card...some piece of crap with a 3Comm card. The transfer speeds are great and the internet speed it fine.

Basically, I just can't work in the network drives. If I try to open a file, Office stops responding or takes forever to load up. I can navigate with some difficulty in the network hard drives, and when I move files to and from the network drives, speed it always quick.

imad
05-02-2003, 05:42 PM
hey did u try to update with sp1 and sp2 office xp update they have some stability issues

mobboss01
05-03-2003, 04:34 PM
Hmm, that's a good suggestion imad...I reinstalled this computers OS and Office when we had no internet connection. So, I probably didn't get any updates. I will spend some time Monday checking to see what needs to be updated. I hope that helps, but not sure what security has to do with this diminished speed.