PDA

View Full Version : Car audio help plz !!!!!!!

Josh
04-06-2006, 04:51 PM
Hello,

At moment i have factory fitted speakers and head unit.

2x 10CM FULL RANGE 30W MAX SPEAKERS

2x TWEETERS 40W MAX

2x 16.5CM WOOFER DOOR SPEAKERS 40W MAx

HEAD UNIT 4x40W MAX RMS=4x10W

Now thats the stuff i got in right now.

I was woderign if i could change speakers withotu changing head unit i will be changing head unit in near future but not just. Since the output of the headunit is RMS 10W would 25W and 35W RMS speakers work at all or would it damage it, and for the door speakers can i still put normal 2 way speakers in or so i have to put woofer speakers in becuase of the tweeters. I wish to do this:

2x 10CM FULL RANGE 25w RMS and 110w MAX

2x 16.5 2-WAY 35W RMS and 180W MAX

I will b e keeping tweeters the same and for the time being head unit will these speakers work with this head unit ?

Like a said its only for a short time until i get the 4x50w MAX (RMS 35W) Head unit but at moment im stuck with 4x40W MAX (RMS 10W) so will these 4 speakers work with it.

lynx
04-06-2006, 06:38 PM
The maximum power capability of the speakers is unimportant as long as it is greater than the output of the head unit. If you replaced the head unit first you could possibly damage the speakers. What is important is the impedance of the speakers, but as long as they are within the range allowed for the head unit you won't do any damage to it.

You may lose a little clarity if the head unit can't power the speakers properly, but if you are going to be sitting in the car with that sort of sound output around you your ears will soon be damaged so you don't really need to worry about clarity.

Josh
04-06-2006, 07:24 PM
So i can use these new speakers wih this head unit and it wont be damaged, i know i would damage the speakers in there now with head unit pushing too much power to them but can under power damage them?

Tempestv
04-06-2006, 07:32 PM
So i can use these new speakers wih this head unit and it wont be damaged, i know i would damage the speakers in there now with head unit pushing too much power to them but can under power damage them?
no, the power rating on speakers states what the max that the speaker will withstand. if under powering your speakers would damage them then you would damage them every time you music is turned down.

Josh
04-06-2006, 07:35 PM
But max power output of head unit is 4 x 40W MAX so if RMS of Speakers is 35W and 25W they would be ok wouldnt they ?

harrycary
04-06-2006, 11:17 PM
what everyone is telling you, is the impedance rating is most important.

numbers such as 2 ohm, 4ohm etc. are what to look for.

mismatching the impedance of your speakers versus that of your stereo, can (and will) damage your stereo.

think of it like this. if you were to crimp-off a water hose while it's running, the water backs up. the same thing can happen with your stereo. only the output signal is your water. if you "impede" it, the amp in your stereo must work harder. this produces more heat, and that's what causes component/pcb failure.

/just throwin' it out there.

(btw, wattage is not important at this point)

lynx
04-07-2006, 01:17 PM
Nice analogy.

Josh
04-08-2006, 07:20 AM
I have no idea about the impedence for my head unit have nto got a clue

lynx
04-08-2006, 09:13 AM
Check your current speakers, then match them. The impedance is often stamped on the back of the speaker. 4 ohms is common.

Josh
04-08-2006, 09:25 AM
ok nice 1 thanks for the help

Gto286
04-08-2006, 10:56 AM
your ohm's and watts and impendance must be matched to your amp(s)
thus the same with your eq. to amp. stereo to eg.
also have you looked at the quality of your wires ?
dont go skimpy on that either. use heavy duty guage wires for that aswell.
a good set of 12guage works good.
me personally dont use the standard stereo wires you see ya know those clear see through stuff. I use good quality 12 guage wire that's color coded
black/green/gray/purple. etc and he like. running between the stereo to eg. eg to amp, amp to the speakers.
my speakers are 4ohm for the front. 8ohm for the woffers and sub woofer.
all matched accordingly. 40hm 35watt front. 6 1/2 two ways.
mid's are 6x9's 50watt. the wofers are 100 watt 10''. the sub is a 100watt 12"
it bumps and is nice sounding and loud! can hear me coming dont the street.

Josh
04-08-2006, 06:37 PM
I have replaced rear speakers they work but just like others really i think headunit will need changing before they sound decent but im unsure if + or - are correctly as the cable colours are nto red and black its cofusing does it matter with 3 way speakers

tesco
04-08-2006, 06:40 PM
I have replaced rear speakers they work but just like others really i think headunit will need changing before they sound decent but im unsure if + or - are correctly as the cable colours are nto red and black its cofusing does it matter with 3 way speakers
The wire will have some sort of indicator on it such as a stripe, different colored wire, or a ridge on the side of one wire, to help you know which wire is which so you get the positive and negative on right.
Everytime I've hooked up speakers it hasn't mattered which way I do it though.;)

Josh
04-09-2006, 10:14 AM
Well my right back speaker cable is light blue/yellow and blue/red and on the left side its green/yellow and black/orange

So i used black stripe cable on my left side as the - and on the right side the red striped cable as the + and it seems to work

Josh
04-11-2006, 08:33 PM
which is better for 10cm 30rms speakers 2-way or 3-way i got 3-way in the back now with the new head unit with 4x27W RMS (4x52W MAX) i got 3-ways in but dont sound too good would 2-way sound betta at all

4play
04-11-2006, 08:43 PM
If i recall the 2 way and 3 way just refers to the amounts of cones used in the speakers. 2 way have a tweeter and a woofer while 3 way have an extra horn like part for better treble. Cant really see how your gonna notice any massive sound difference between speakers when you have a rather noisy engine vibrating your car and all the outside noise.

It all depends what sort of music you listen to really as well.

if you like classical you will want an expensive setup, if your cruising around listening to drum and bass you just want some crap speakers in your car and a large sub in the boot.

Mïcrösöül°V³
04-11-2006, 09:03 PM
just to add my 2 cents. underpowering a speaker will damage it at high volumes. The more power you add to a speaker, the better. You can power a set of crappy stock speakers with a fosgate 1400w and they will sound great at a reasonable volume. Head units with no real power are best matched to low powered speakers, that way you get the best sound for the power you have. That why stock setups sound reasonably good, untill you change the head unit. Just dont try cranking the volume unless you have lots of power (usually an amp). I am very rusty on all my information on this subject, but I used to design and build subwoofer cabinets (about 5 years ago :P) and I have one hell of a system in my truck -fosgate/polk audio/alpine (that I dont even turn the volume up on anymore :lol:)

Oh, and you can get a semi-surround sound if you get 2 more tweeters and wire them out of phase with the two you already have and mount them on the A-pillars of the car. It sounds nice.

Josh
04-11-2006, 09:38 PM
Well another question lol sorry but i just wanna make everything ok

Head unit is now 4x27W RMS (4x52W MAX)

my front set up is 2x tweeters 10W RMS (40W Max) and 2x Woofer speakers 10W RMS (40W Max) i wish to change the woofer door speakers now if i get 35W RMS woofer speakers will that be ok or should i get 30W RMS to match head unit this is where i get confused. The tweeters and woofer speakers come together it says they are 35W RMS (170W MAX) will these be ok to use with a head unit like mine

basically will 35W RMS speakers be ok with 27W RMS input from the headunit

Mïcrösöül°V³
04-11-2006, 11:23 PM
Well another question lol sorry but i just wanna make everything ok

Head unit is now 4x27W RMS (4x52W MAX)

my front set up is 2x tweeters 10W RMS (40W Max) and 2x Woofer speakers 10W RMS (40W Max) i wish to change the woofer door speakers now if i get 35W RMS woofer speakers will that be ok or should i get 30W RMS to match head unit this is where i get confused. The tweeters and woofer speakers come together it says they are 35W RMS (170W MAX) will these be ok to use with a head unit like mine

basically will 35W RMS speakers be ok with 27W RMS input from the headunit
yes, youll be fine. Just dont get nuts turning the volume up to rediculous levels. When the music starts distorting (sounds like its overdriven), thats your cue to turn it down, because you are blasting the speakers with noise. More power is a cleaner, stronger signal. :) Also, low end will trash speakers if they cant handle the excursion (amount of movement the woofer can handle). If you hear any "pops" or "crunch" when you set your bass levels, thats the woofer cone moving too far. And again, more power prevents this to a certain degree, but to answer your question simply....yes, you will be fine. Sorry about the blabbering :lol:

Josh
04-12-2006, 04:40 PM
cool cool thanks for help its just so confusing sometimes my new head unit said it does 4Ohm to 8Ohm