PDA

View Full Version : Hip Hop, Rap

Benno
04-25-2003, 09:23 PM
I dont listen to rap music but i wondered whats the difference beetween Rap and Hip Hop. Im sure someone here can tell me. :ph34r:

TRshady
04-25-2003, 09:28 PM
I know for sure someone will come up with a better answer, im tired.

Hip hop focuses more on the beat and tune and is generally more upbeat and "cool"

Rap, I believe is more about the lyrics and is more mean\powerfull.

Rollin_On_Dubs420
04-25-2003, 11:14 PM
id say hip-hop is more poetry
rap is more hooks and beats
thats why i prefer more rap cause i like big beats :devil:
:santa: :ninja: :sorcerer: :zorro:

N£MO
04-25-2003, 11:25 PM
IMO,hip hop is the main genre name its sort of the whole sound,beats,samples,scratching and all.

Rap,on the other hand, is the lyrics and way it is performed.

Z
04-26-2003, 03:20 AM
you guys got it right, but rollin seems a lil backwards, no? just a lil' :P

marine_aart
04-26-2003, 07:52 AM
so if I get it right.... Eminem is rap
run dmc was HIP-HOP???

(and ja rule is R&B :P )

soopaman
04-26-2003, 09:58 AM
Hip-Hop is the collective name for the scene which consists of Breaking, Graffiti, Deejaying, Clothes and RAPPING. I can't really say it any better than that. How can you be into Rap and not be into Deejaying?? That's 2 down, only 3 to go and then we've got you!! I posted this in another thread yesterday and thought it would be relevant.

To me RAP and HIP-HOP are not mutually exclusive.

Nas, Jay-Z, Tupac, Biggie were called RAPPERS not HIP-HOP-ers because they RAPPED they didn't HIP-HOP. They are all part of the HIP-HOP culture/scene, as are Shelltoe Adidas, Kangol Hats, Bally's, Windmills, Headspins, Burners, Whole-Cars, Scratching, Vinyl, Etc.

Discuss. :ph34r:

Kid1A
04-26-2003, 10:41 AM
Their Both shit dude so dont worry about it, i guess that one&#39;s "blacker" than the other <_<

N£MO
04-26-2003, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Kid1A@26 April 2003 - 11:41
Their Both shit dude so dont worry about it, i guess that one&#39;s "blacker" than the other <_<
Shut the feck up fool...what do you know.

If you dont like rap/hip hop then dont reply in a thread with it in.

Start up a radiohead thread and lets all have a laugh :lol:

Just stick to listening to that whineing muppet Thom Yorke or whatever his name is :lol:

Semmi
04-26-2003, 11:20 AM
Hip-Hop is a CULTURE&#33;
Rap is a MUSIC&#33;

Hip Hop, as a culture, has got 5 elements : rapping, dj-ing, graffity, breakdance, and human beatbox&#33;

that&#39;s my way to see those things&#33; I think that idea came originally from
KRS-One.

BTW : why t´did the MTV but separate awards for hip-hop and rap.....are they really that ignorant......

Pitbul
04-26-2003, 11:46 AM
Horrorcore>ICP Esham ABK ect...
Baller Rap>Nelly P Diddy ect...
Rap>
Gangsta>50 Cent 2Pac BAsically the rest rappers
Other> other types of rap

Hip Hop>

RnB> u know who is here if u dont ur a fruitcake

same with Rock music it can be broken down into seprate groups

Pitbul
04-26-2003, 11:52 AM
m6 last post didn&#39;t come out like how i wanted it

Hip Hop is 2 groups Rap and RnB in those groups are types of that music.

Rap>Gangsta Rap,Baller Rap,Chicano Rap,Horrocore Rap,and other.
in RnB u can also break it down but its a little bit more complicated.

same with Rock music u can break it down to Metal, Mega Death type, Black, Punk,and even that pop tart pussy shit thats all over MTV and many more im sure

so Hip Hop is not a stand alone type music. its the actual basis of Rap and RnB. such as rock is the basis of all rock music. thats why u sometimes hear ppl say they like "Hip Hop In General" Meaning that like all music RnB and Rap and each one of there styles

Benno
04-26-2003, 12:22 PM
Thanks people. Another mystery of music is enlightened now. :D

marine_aart
04-26-2003, 12:55 PM
Start up a radiohead thread and lets all have a laugh
radiohead rulez :D (so does rap)

AzNPLaYeR253
05-01-2003, 06:12 AM
Semmi basically hit it right on the spot with the hip hop being a culture thing, but i&#39;ll elaborate a little more on it.

Hip Hop is indeed a culture. The elements of hip hop are "emcee&#39;n", graffiti, "bboyin" (breakdancing is a media term), and dj&#39;n. There are questions whether beatboxing is an actual element. I believe it is, but it varies through the opinions of who you are hearing from. Afrika Bambaataa described the 5th element of hip hop to be "knowledge".

When dealing with music ,Hip Hop refers to a mc and a dj, which all started from people rockin parties. The mc didnt get much credit back in the day because the dj was the main attraction. It used to be all about the dj&#39;n, but as Hip Hop progressed the mc kinda stole the spotlight and dj&#39;s werent really "needed" anymore since beat machines could basically do what they were doing in the eyes of the mc that is. Also everyone didnt have enough money for turntables, so other forms of making beats where performed *beatboxin* There is where the "rap" began.

What they call hip hop on mtv is pop based. Its disgusting to see them ruin the name of a culture like that, but anyways all this is just to clear up all the misunderstanding between all of you.

BTW, Ja Rule = pop, Nelly = pop, and for all your Eminem lovers, he himself says his style is influenced by pop.

Benno
05-01-2003, 11:38 PM
Cheers. B)