PDA

View Full Version : Which Battery Brand do you think is the best?

imasoldier
04-10-2006, 12:21 AM
I think Duracell is the best. I used to think Energizer was the best on my airsoft gun. Then I tried Duracell on it the Fps on the gun increased alot and lasted a long time. Or does it just depend what you use them for?

Guillaume
04-10-2006, 12:24 AM
Your airsoft has frames per seconds?

These things sure have changed since I was 14.

maebach
04-10-2006, 12:44 AM
duracell or energizer

j2k4
04-10-2006, 12:52 AM
Duracell gives me longer life than Energizer or any others.

I'm trying to get back into rechargables for AA and AAA stuff 'cuz more of them are nickel-hybrid, and they tout them as experiencing fewer mem-charge issues; I want to see Lithium-Ion make it to the standard 1.5 volt architecture.

Then I'll use rechargables for everything.

tesco
04-10-2006, 01:14 AM
Duracell for regular alkalines.

I like my energizer rechargeables though, I don't know if the duracell rechargeables last longer but it doesn't really bother me anyway since I can just recharge them. :P

suprafreak6
04-10-2006, 01:32 AM
how the f*** do you check the fps of your gun, do you have a radar?
anyways, im a big airsofter, and usually this cheap brand i get at a local menards works the best, which is wierd cause it lasts extra long

Virtualbody1234
04-10-2006, 02:07 AM
You're all being fooled by marketing. What makes a battery the best imo is the price to power ratio. I find that the lowest price Alcaline (brand isn't important) is the best value.

tesco
04-10-2006, 02:11 AM
You're all being fooled by marketing. What makes a battery the best imo is the price to power ratio. I find that the lowest price Alcaline (brand isn't important) is the best value.
He just asked which is best not which is best value.:) :P

Virtualbody1234
04-10-2006, 02:16 AM
He just asked which is best not which is best value.:) :P
Still best. :P

j2k4
04-10-2006, 02:20 AM

Quite right, of course; I just can't be arsed to do a comprehensive comparo, though I've had great luck with some generics, it seems you can never find the same ones again, or they don't work as well the second time.

Odd that the ones you get, say, with a remote control for what-have-you, seem to work for years before needing replaced.

I will stoop to the occasional "too good to be true" deal-like 50 batteries for $3...

I still make sure I've got some Duracells around, just in case. :)

Seedler
04-10-2006, 02:29 AM
Duracell usually, and I just got a 32-AA pack for $15.99 at Canadian Tire on discount. w00t w00t!

imasoldier
04-10-2006, 03:16 AM
Lol sorry guys Feet Per Second not Frames Per Second

Not only does it shoot further but hit shoots alot faster and harder. You can tell the difference immediately.

Busyman™
04-10-2006, 03:17 AM
Rechargeable NiMH (nicke-metal hydrid) batteries are THE best value for high drain gear. However, they discharge when not in use which makes them a poor choice for flashlights and other devices that sit idle a lot.

Rechargeable alkaline cells are a waste of money unless you get a great price on them. They cost as much as rechaegeable NiMH batteries but can only be recharged maybe 1/12 as much. The only thing good about them is that they don't discharge while sitting idle. A waste unless you get a hook-up on price.

Lithium disposables cost 4x as much as regular alkalines and only last almost twice as long. They do have a shelf life of 10 years compared the 5 of alkalines. A waste unless you get a hook-up on price.

High drain disposable alkalines (e2 and Duracell Ultra) last longer than regular alkalines in gear that requires short bursts of energy like flash cameras. They also cost twice as much but don't last twice as long. A waste unless you get a hook-up on price.

Regular alkalines have very little difference in brand. You basically should buy the generic brand since they last as long as the brand name batteries.

Duracell is one of the best examples of how marketing has fooled the consumer into believing they are the best. (Energizer is up there too)
I know many folks who just can't stop buying Duracell. Duracell is in their heads as being the best but they don't know why.:lol: :lol: It's marketing.

Buy Rechargeable NiMH for high-drain gear.
Buy low cost store brand alkalines for everything else.

edit: I did forget to mention that you wanna check to see if your gear CAN'T use NiMH batteries. There should be a disclosure.

Seedler
04-10-2006, 03:24 AM
You basically should buy the generic brand since they last as long as the brand name batteries.

Bull. Duracell lasts around 10 hrs in my GBA, while generic brands lasts like 2hrs. Same goes for flashlights, toy cars, etc.

Duracell is better. Fact.

Busyman™
04-10-2006, 03:25 AM
Odd that the ones you get, say, with a remote control for what-have-you, seem to work for years before needing replaced.

Remotes sit idle often and use little power.

A Duracell vs. a Safeway grocery store brand would make little difference except you'll pay more for the Duracell.

tesco
04-10-2006, 03:29 AM
Busyman, where would you rank NI-CD batteries?
My good batteries are NiMH, but I allso have some cheap Ni-CD batteries that are a bit older, which dont last long in my flash light or mouse but since I bought the Ni-MH batteries I don't think i've had to charge the Ni-CDs, they're sitting in my remote. That's a long time to keep the charge.

S!X
04-10-2006, 03:41 AM
Ive got energizer recharagble and they seem to do well, that or duracell ftw.

Busyman™
04-10-2006, 04:03 AM
Busyman, where would you rank NI-CD batteries?
My good batteries are NiMH, but I allso have some cheap Ni-CD batteries that are a bit older, which dont last long in my flash light or mouse but since I bought the Ni-MH batteries I don't think i've had to charge the Ni-CDs, they're sitting in my remote. That's a long time to keep the charge.
NiCads have way less capacity, suffer from memory problems, and you're not supposed to throw them in the trash.

The main good thing is they sometimes have a longer recharge cycle life. The industry has them pretty much obsolete.

Don't use NiMH or NiCad for flashlights or smoke detectors. They self-discharge. I would think a mouse would be fine since that is used often.

Also the reason NiMH (and NiCads) don't work with all gear properly is because they have a lower voltage than alkalines.

thewizeard
04-10-2006, 05:31 AM
I use duracell...to power my rabbit :).. http://www.duracell.com/nl/

Gripper
04-10-2006, 05:45 AM
My battery hens last well and I get more eggs that way.

RealitY
04-10-2006, 08:04 AM
Generally Duracell are a better than the generics Ive used though based on price the generics may be better occasionally. When using brand names Ive only bought them when on sale. As for Energizer I used to buy them just based on marketing way back though Ive seen to many blow inside items making a mess usually while sitting unused so that makes them the biggest shit on the market as I havent seen that with any other brands. Although currently use NiMH on almost everything as they are the best value...

tesco
04-10-2006, 02:05 PM
Also the reason NiMH (and NiCads) don't work with all gear properly is because they have a lower voltage than alkalines.
1.2v

Barbarossa
04-10-2006, 02:13 PM
I automatically look for Duracell as a first choice, but it's probably down to what busyman has said - a very successful marketing campaign.

I tend to use NiMH rechargeables in stuff I use alot, e.g. camera, mp3 player, etc.

enoughfakefiles
04-10-2006, 02:21 PM
I think these batteries a fairly long lasting :smilie4:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/365000/images/_369555_hens300.jpg

Busyman™
04-10-2006, 09:31 PM
You basically should buy the generic brand since they last as long as the brand name batteries.

Bull. Duracell lasts around 10 hrs in my GBA, while generic brands lasts like 2hrs. Same goes for flashlights, toy cars, etc.

Duracell is better. Fact.
Well I've seen some shitty generic brands too. I remember seeing one called Top Cell. It was made to have Duracell's colors on the outside.:lol: :lol:

Some bum sold them to me for a dollar. I think he also manufactured them. :ermm:

However, Duracell had no noticeable improvement over any simple grocery store chain brand and similar. The best deal I ever got was a 40 pack of AAs made by Maxell for $10.

Duracell can kiss my ass.

JPaul
04-10-2006, 09:40 PM
Sony Stamina re-chargeable batteries, used in a Sony digital camera are fecking amazing. You want the bastards to run out, coz you just can't believe that they can last that long sans witchcraft.

True story.

Spider_dude
04-10-2006, 09:42 PM
my sony camera has an NP-FE1 infoLithium Type E Batterybattery which lasts ages.

JPaul
04-10-2006, 09:48 PM
my sony camera has an NP-FE1 infoLithium Type E Batterybattery which lasts ages.
:glag:

Is that the one you found in the street.

j2k4
04-10-2006, 11:29 PM

Remotes sit idle often and use little power.

Of this I am aware; I have had about 20 remotes scattered around the house for many moons-the "batteries included" versions I mentioned include Maxell and Radio Shack, as I recall, and for whatever reason, they seem to exhibit freakish life-spans.

A Duracell vs. a Safeway grocery store brand would make little difference except you'll pay more for the Duracell.

On a battery-for-battery basis, I think this is less-than-true; Duracell will generally show a bit more consistant performance due to turnover, which is, in turn, due to their reputation as a superior product and consistent sales.

This fact alone could be responsible for the perception they are better than other batteries-they are generally a "fresher" product.

Ross-

NiMH is marketed as "next-gen" NiCad technology and is superior in all the ways that count, but mainly in getting past the "memory" problems, as Busyman and I have noted.

Seedler
04-11-2006, 02:21 AM
Why do rechargable bats only have 1.2 v?

Why can't they make them 1.5 v like normal?