PDA

View Full Version : External hard drive not detected

Skiz
04-11-2006, 07:32 PM
I got a new Western Digital 200 GB external hard drive but it doesn't appear in My Computer.

I get the error in the title in the device manager...there's a yellow exclamation mark on "USB Mass Storage Device" and when I click it for more info I get the Code 10.

I get the USB "chime" when I plug/unplug the drive, but it never shows and of the yellow Windows bubbles and never shows in My Computer.

I also did NOT get a driver disc with the purchase.

I did what windows suggests (rebooting to re-recognize the device) but that doesn't work.

I Googled "code 10" and wasn't really getting much in the way of results.

A few specs:

CPU Type..........................AMD Athlon XP, 1733 MHz (13 x 133) 2100+
Motherboard Name..............Shuttle FX41 (1 PCI, 1 AGP, 2 DDR DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN, IEEE-1394)
Motherboard Chipset............VIA VT8375 ProSavageDDR KM266
System Memory..................1 GB
edit: I'm running XP SP2.

fkdup74
04-11-2006, 08:43 PM
...there's a yellow exclamation mark on "USB Mass Storage Device"

That denotes a non-installed driver.
If yer running XP, try Windows Update.
Although, SP1 and above should have the M$ USB drivers....

Skiz
04-11-2006, 08:55 PM
...there's a yellow exclamation mark on "USB Mass Storage Device"

That denotes a non-installed driver.
If yer running XP, try Windows Update.
Although, SP1 and above should have the M$ USB drivers....

I'm running XP SP2.

clocker
04-11-2006, 09:44 PM
Right click on My Computer.
Choose "Manage".
Choose "Disk Management".
Does the external show up as "unallocated space"?
If so, format it.

Skiz
04-12-2006, 01:27 AM
Right click on My Computer.
Choose "Manage".
Choose "Disk Management".
Does the external show up as "unallocated space"?
If so, format it.

Nope, that's the whole problem. I thought when I plugged it on in that it wasn't showing yet b/c it hadn't been formatted. I went into Disk Management but it isn't there either. :unsure:

I thought maybe it was a jumper setting, but a tech guy at work said he didn't think that would matter, so now I'm back to square 1. :(

clocker
04-12-2006, 11:48 AM
OK then.
Have you tried plugging this drive into another PC?
If it works try this...

) The easiest way to solve a USB error code 10 in Windows XP is to follow the steps below to remove and reinstall all USB controllers.

A. Click on Start
B. Right Click on My Computer, click on Properties
C.Click on the Hardware tab
D. Click the Device Manager button.
E. Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers section.
F. Right-click every device under the Universal Serial Bus controllers node, and then click Uninstall to remove them one at a time.
G. Restart the computer, and allow the computer to reinstall the USB controllers.
H. Plug in the removable USB storage device, and then test to make sure that the issue is resolved.

dodgy368
04-12-2006, 11:49 AM
Have you tried another mass storage device like an ipod or camera to see if it's your pc?
Also try it on another pc to see if it's the drive/cable at fault.

fkdup74
04-12-2006, 12:51 PM
OK then.
If it works try this...

) The easiest way to solve a USB error code 10 in Windows XP is to follow the steps below to remove and reinstall all USB controllers.

A. Click on Start
B. Right Click on My Computer, click on Properties
C.Click on the Hardware tab
D. Click the Device Manager button.
E. Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers section.
F. Right-click every device under the Universal Serial Bus controllers node, and then click Uninstall to remove them one at a time.
G. Restart the computer, and allow the computer to reinstall the USB controllers.
H. Plug in the removable USB storage device, and then test to make sure that the issue is resolved.

meh. I assumed skizo had already tried uninstalling/rebooting. Silly me.

Skiz
04-12-2006, 09:08 PM
OK then.
If it works try this...

I have not yet tried it on another PC, this is the only one I own. I can try it on a friends PC in a few days...

I went ahead and tried uninstalling all those things and rebooting but that didn't fix it.

Have you tried another mass storage device like an ipod or camera to see if it's your pc?
Also try it on another pc to see if it's the drive/cable at fault.

The only other storage devive I have is an iPod, and that works fine.

dodgy368
04-12-2006, 09:42 PM
Just to try and narrow down the problem, use a IDE cable to plug it in as a slave(like you would an internal hdd) and see if Device Manager recognises it.

DrBeerMan
04-13-2006, 06:16 AM
I got a new Western Digital 200 GB external hard drive but it doesn't appear in My Computer.

I get the error in the title in the device manager...there's a yellow exclamation mark on "USB Mass Storage Device" and when I click it for more info I get the Code 10.

I get the USB "chime" when I plug/unplug the drive, but it never shows and of the yellow Windows bubbles and never shows in My Computer.

I also did NOT get a driver disc with the purchase.

I did what windows suggests (rebooting to re-recognize the device) but that doesn't work.

I Googled "code 10" and wasn't really getting much in the way of results.

A few specs:

CPU Type..........................AMD Athlon XP, 1733 MHz (13 x 133) 2100+
Motherboard Name..............Shuttle FX41 (1 PCI, 1 AGP, 2 DDR DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN, IEEE-1394)
Motherboard Chipset............VIA VT8375 ProSavageDDR KM266
System Memory..................1 GB
edit: I'm running XP SP2.

Problem:
Code 10 status is displayed in Windows XP Device Manager for a USB or FireWire device.

Cause:
The device is not recognized or there is a problem with the device drivers. Commonly, the error message displayed will be similar to the following:

"This device is either not present, not working properly, or does not have all the drivers installed. (Code 10)

Solution:
Upgrade the device drivers for this device. To resolve this error code, make sure the device is connected to the computer correctly. For example, make sure all cables are plugged in fully and that all adapter cards are properly seated. Follow the suggested solution button provided by Windows and update the device driver. It may be possible to remove the device and redetect it using the Add New Hardware wizard.

Note: If the solution above does not help, the drive may have failed. It is recommended that you try to connect the drive to a second PC running Windows 2000 or XP. If the same error message is shown in the Device Manager of the second PC as well, the drive has failed and needs to be replaced.

found here http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=964&p_created=1051043619&p_sid=CcNqJU4i&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MzE3JnBfcHJvZHM9MCZwX2NhdHM9MCZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc2VhcmNoX2ZubCZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PWNvZGUgMTA*&p_li=&p_topview=1

Skiz
04-13-2006, 07:27 AM
OK....here's the latest. I took it up to work and had a TSG guy take a look. He plugged it in rebooted and the wizard came right up, so I know it's something with my PC. I went ahead and had him format it but when I went back later, he said the format went OK but it only shows 128 GB and not 200. He said that this is probably due to the UPS customized OS that is basically still Windows 2000 but it's a UPS build and completely stripped. He hoped that when I got home that my PC would detect the remaining 72 GB but it isn't. The good news is that it DOES see the 128 that was formatted at work.

Any ideas on recovering the remaining gigs??

clocker
04-13-2006, 12:01 PM
probably due to the UPS customized OS that is basically still Windows 2000 but it's a UPS build and completely stripped.

I don't know what this means...

How does the device show up in Computer Management now?
Is there unallocated space or not?

Skiz
04-13-2006, 07:33 PM
I don't know what this means...

I wasn't 100% on this either, but I tok it to mean that that OS doesn’t support such large drives.

How does the device show up in Computer Management now?
Is there unallocated space or not?

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/7640/z7oh.th.jpg (http://img100.imageshack.us/my.php?image=z7oh.jpg)

Skiz
04-14-2006, 05:33 AM
I downloaded PartitionMagic, but that didn't find it either.....

fkdup74
04-14-2006, 12:39 PM
I downloaded PartitionMagic, but that didn't find it either.....

Acronis Partition Expert > Partition Magic.
The Acronis PE bootdisk is the shit. Worked great on my WD external.

Aside from that.....how are your BIOS settings?

nerval
04-14-2006, 01:08 PM
You might find these FAQ (http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/capacity/index.html) on the Seagate website helpful. They deal with capacity issues and "disk not recognised" problems.