PDA

View Full Version : Windows error during boot up

maebach
04-12-2006, 09:16 PM
This started happening last week. There was a black screen just before the booting window is suppose to come up, and it said that:

C:>Windows/system32/config/system

is missing. it said to use the recovery console to fix it. SO I did, I went into recovery, and did: chkdsk /p.

It worked, but it started happening every other day. THen about last Friday, it stoppped. Until now, and now I cant get it away using the chkdsk /p.

someone help, please :||:|:||:|:|: :( :cry:

Guillaume
04-12-2006, 09:18 PM
chkdsk /p just checks the drive's health.
chkdsk /r actually repairs it, no? :unsure:

maebach
04-12-2006, 09:40 PM
I have no idea :(

I found this:

" This has already been discussed in this thread, but apparently this is a very popular problem. You can see some other discussions on this here.

I've researched this problem for several days now, and it seems that there is no real solution. There are several work arounds, but they only delay the problem until next time. As near as I can tell there are a wide range of hardware "issue's" that can cause this. These same hardware configurations will normally work fine under earlier versions of windows (unless there's a faulty component).

Unfortunatly, i'll have to revert to 2k or even 98SE, since after so many days of playing with this problem and (judging by the feedback i've gottten on the web) there is not much hope for a permanent fix. I am just sick of fooling around with this. I'll try installing XP off the cd on another machine, maybe it'll work there."

here: http://www.devhood.com/messages/message_view-2.aspx?thread_id=67703

I think Im gonna cry

lynx
04-12-2006, 10:36 PM
It may be similar to a problem I came across recently, related to SP2.

If SP2 was added as a service pack and the uninstall files were preserved it should be possible to remove the service pack, then re-install it after you've got the system back up and running.

If SP2 was pre-installed, or if you didn't keep the uninstall folder then this is no good to you.

If you think it may be worth trying let me know and I'll try to find the instructions.

Edit: Here's the link, though it doesn't seems to work properly in Firefox.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=875350#EKACAAA

maebach
04-12-2006, 11:01 PM
Ill give it a try

100%
04-12-2006, 11:20 PM
Select Repair ® option.
Go to the DOS prompt.
Now type "chkdsk /r" (space after Chkdsk without " ")and enter leave it to finish. Now restart by typing "exit" and press enter. It should work.

if it doesn't

Type chkdsk /p /r + enter. When check disk is finished, type fixmbr + enter.

If it doesnt - type "chkdsk /p" and enter. If it finishes. type "fixboot X:" (X being the drive letter windows is installed on, it's usually C, but sometimes it can be a virtual drive like E). Next press enter.

Finally type exit to restart. It should work.........

maebach
04-13-2006, 12:16 AM
UNinstalling sp2 didnt work, one of the steps is to boot in safe mode, and it said the file was missing.

maebach
04-13-2006, 12:29 AM
Select Repair ® option.
Go to the DOS prompt.
Now type "chkdsk /r" (space after Chkdsk without " ")and enter leave it to finish. Now restart by typing "exit" and press enter. It should work.

if it doesn't

Type chkdsk /p /r + enter. When check disk is finished, type fixmbr + enter.

If it doesnt - type "chkdsk /p" and enter. If it finishes. type "fixboot X:" (X being the drive letter windows is installed on, it's usually C, but sometimes it can be a virtual drive like E). Next press enter.

Finally type exit to restart. It should work.........

triedx it :cry: :cry: :( :( :ermm: :ermm:

should I kust reformat? or should I buy a copy of windows? My dad's windows xp is installed on 2 computers, so I dont have one. The disc I use right now, forces my to reformat every like 2-3 months :( .

lee551
04-13-2006, 01:31 AM
my friend's computer has this problem of failing to boot after (not finding a)/(finding a corrupted) *.dll file in the windows folder.

i tried doing all those methods with the chkdsk & none of those helped either. i fixed it for him with just doing a repair install of windows. it happens so much now though i just burned him an xp copy and wrote the instructions down.

for a repair install choose to install windows (not recovery console) and then once you accept the agreement you can choose to do a repair install on any installed windows version on your computer.

hopefully it works for a missing \system. ;)

maebach
04-13-2006, 08:56 PM
There's no option that comes up like that, I tried. Will I have to reformat???? :cry:

lynx
04-14-2006, 10:17 AM
The file which it ways is missing is one of the major parts of the registry.

The SP2 thing you tried is about a conflict between a driver and SP2. If that hasn't fixed the problem then in all likelyhood it really is missing, in which case the only solution is re-installation.

abcdefg
04-14-2006, 06:21 PM
use hijackthis all starting apps screening. maybe help this

harrycary
04-18-2006, 10:52 PM
I just read this story yesterday. Maybe your answer is in there. (3 pages)

http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=185301251

maebach
04-18-2006, 11:52 PM
I reformatted a few days ago :mellow:

maebach
04-20-2006, 02:55 AM
Ive realised, that my pc doesnt shut down. After clicking on the shut down button, it doesnt do anything. It closees some programs, but the taskbar doesnt dissapear and turn off. It just keeps running :lookaroun

HHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPP. :(

what I do, is I restart the pc (pressing the button on the front of the pc) and then press the on/off button on the case before it gets to the windows loading page.

maebach
04-20-2006, 10:32 PM
The pc was running fine, until I updated, I had to reboot, and now Ive got the same problem where it stops at the screen :cry: :(:(:(:(:(:(

Any help would be great Ill read the site that you posted Lynx!

Should I buy a legit copy of windows? help please!!!!

maebach
04-21-2006, 11:48 AM
I found my old legit copy which I installed on two computers, and wouldnt be able to install on mine, but it worked. Is it possible that after using the disc twice, after a few the disc 'forgets' about it? I use to not be able to use this, but now it works. One of the other 2 pcs which I installed it on, broke and I never fixed it (P2). Im happy, maybe this legit copy will last longer than a few weeks :lookaroun