PDA

View Full Version : Can't delete folder

Vamp
04-15-2006, 04:46 PM
I uninstalled some software awhile back, but the empty folder name still remains. When I try delete it I get a "Cannot read from source" error and trying to delete it in Safe Mode or using MoveOnBoot doesn't work...Any ideas?

peat moss
04-15-2006, 05:25 PM
Rename it then delete ? Sometimes it's the easiest things that work .

Was thinking mabye try a file cleaner program ?

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=115887

Nightwolf
04-15-2006, 06:21 PM
Try this program...

http://www.purgeie.com/delinv/index.htm

...just be VERY CAREFUL how you use it. Once you delete something with it, it's gone for good.

Vamp
04-16-2006, 09:32 AM
I tried renaming it and it wouldn't let me, then when it automtically reverted to the old filename, it would accept that either (Cannot read from source) I had to Alt-F4 Windows Explorer :P

Delivinfile also wont let me delete the folder as it says "subfolder selected is not highlighted subfolder" I thought it might have been because the folder was empty, so I put something in it (a small .txt file) and then Explorer created another folder with the same name to place the .txt in!

StephG
04-16-2006, 11:24 AM
Have you tried using the command deltree in a command prompt window.

Run a command prompt window. Navigate to where the folder is and type deltree <folder name>. That might work. In the old days you would have just done it in dos, but windows doesnt use the dos kernal any more.

If you dont know the commands for navigating in a command prompt.

cd.. - takes you to the root directory of a drive.
dir/w - lists everything there.
cd <folder name> - takes you into a sub-directory.
deltree <folder name> - deletes a folder and everything in it.

Good luck btw.

Vamp
04-16-2006, 11:43 AM
I can't seem to get that to work, the fiolder is on the E: partition of my HDD.

StephG
04-16-2006, 12:01 PM
Type e: enter to change to the E partition. That will take you to the root of the drive

Then try as above.

Vamp
04-16-2006, 12:22 PM
When I try enter the folder, it simply says "The system cannot find the path specified.

StephG
04-16-2006, 12:26 PM
Dont try to enter the folder.

Go to the level above it, so that you can see the folder when you do a dir/w.

Then deltree from there.

Vamp
04-16-2006, 01:05 PM
"deltree is not recognized as an internal or external command, operatable program or batch file."

StephG
04-16-2006, 01:09 PM
"deltree is not recognized as an internal or external command, operatable program or batch file."

Must be a purely dos command, I thought that it was part of the nt kernal. Sorry about that.

Try the same but use rmdir rather than deltree.

StephG
04-16-2006, 01:12 PM
If there are files still in it use the /s switch. i.e. rmdir /s

Vamp
04-16-2006, 01:27 PM
"The system cannot find the path specified"

I think it's just an anomaly...Everything is gone, there's just that "ghost" left over.

StephG
04-16-2006, 01:58 PM
Does the folder name have spaces in it. If it does then the command line needs to include """"

i.e. rmdir <"folder name">

The only other thing I can suggest is that you try booting to a command prompt. I think it's f5 as your system is booting, but before windows starts to initialise. Then selecting the appropriate one. Then try deleting it from there.

StephG
04-16-2006, 02:03 PM
Sorry if this is blindingly obvious and not meaning to insult you, but you aren't using the <> are you.

The actual command would be something like

rmdir e:\program files\"folder name"

depending on where the folder is actually situated.

Vamp
04-16-2006, 02:47 PM
Nope :/ not using the <> (Even thought I tried that too :P>

StephG
04-16-2006, 02:59 PM
The only other obvious thing I can think of is using a dos boot disk, boot the computer from the floppy and then use the deltree comand from there. Or the rmdir command if the version of dos doesn't have deltree.

http://www.petri.co.il/create_dos_boot_floppy_disk_in_windows_xp.htm tells you how to create a dos boot floppy from XP.

Its a handy thing to have anyway.

HCT
04-16-2006, 03:27 PM
try rebooting the computer and then delete the folder

Appzalien
04-17-2006, 03:14 PM
Have you tried Unlocker (freeware, a google should get it for you) its very useful for stubborn files and folders that get locked by windows. It ends up in your right click context menu and even if it doesn't find a lock on the folder it offers a drop down for you to select a course of action. It hasn't failed me yet and you can't beat free. There also may be a registry entry that corresponds to the folder and that can recreate it after deletion, although this doesn't happen often it can be fixed by a registry cleaning right after deletion.

abu_has_the_power
04-17-2006, 04:06 PM
search on google for this thing called Unlocker. it shows the programs still currently linked to a file or folder, and u can unlock the link or end the program. it's very very helpful