PDA

View Full Version : The problem with superpowerful pre-built systems.

Vamp
04-15-2006, 09:44 PM
I was thinking of this and wondering if anyone else agrees. When you pay $10.000 for a system like th Dell Renegade, you get 4 current GPUs and the security of being able to play games for the next 5 years, but what happens if in a year a new type of GPU technology is released that, say, improves lighting effects or particle effects? Then you're stuck with four really powerful cards that just lack a simple feature that is standard with newer games.

Storm
04-15-2006, 10:58 PM
or that every manufacturer switches to a newer direct x version that your card doesnt support............

the problem imho is that you pay way to much......... if youre gonna spend that much money on a computer, you might as well do some research and do it yourself/have your local computer wiz do it...........

Virtualbody1234
04-15-2006, 11:14 PM
$10,000? :stars:

If you would spend half that now and the other half 5 years from now, you would end up with 2 machines and the second machine would be way better than what you could get with $10,000 now.

The $5,000 could also earn you interest during that time. :naughty:

But even $5,000 is way too much to spend on a PC in my opinion.

StephG
04-16-2006, 12:05 AM
Why would anyone here want to spend $10,000 on a PC. What would you be doing with it.

zapjb
04-16-2006, 12:21 AM
Why would anyone here want to spend $10,000 on a PC. What would you be doing with it.

S!X
04-16-2006, 12:31 AM

GAMING,basic tasks such as email, IMing ppl, pr0n ect.

fkdup74
04-16-2006, 03:06 AM

not with a $10k PC you tit
there's really nothing that justifies that cost
our Exchange server we just installed at work ran a little over $4k
granted, that's with the deals we get from Dell,
but even without, it might have ran about $6k
that's an enterprise class server, quad CPU, SCSI storage,
for half of what you would use for e-mail.....come on now.....

S!X
04-16-2006, 03:15 AM
our Exchange server we just installed at work ran a little over $4k
granted, that's with the deals we get from Dell,
but even without, it might have ran about $6k
that's an enterprise class server, quad CPU, SCSI storage,
for half of what you would use for e-mail.....come on now.....

tit? wtf.... :stars:

clocker
04-16-2006, 03:58 AM

"Justify"?
Don't be silly.
It would be difficult to justify a home PC over $500 and we all know there are many computers on this forum alone that cost 2 to 3 times that.

How do you reconcile a car with over 100 horsepower considering the requirements of our daily driving?

Let's not let Puritanism invade our toys please.

cpt_azad
04-16-2006, 04:07 AM
"Justify"?
Don't be silly.
It would be difficult to justify a home PC over $500 and we all know there are many computers on this forum alone that cost 2 to 3 times that.

How do you reconcile a car with over 100 horsepower considering the requirements of our daily driving?

Amen.

Vamp
04-16-2006, 09:28 AM
We all know that there're people out there who buy those systems. DELL has already sold out the first batch.

fkdup74
04-16-2006, 03:21 PM

Don't bust my bubble, ffs. :P

marlonbigtent
04-19-2006, 12:48 PM
$10000 on a pc! yeah i can just see the wife and kids going for that! sorry love just spent the years house keeping on a pc! ha ha

maebach
04-19-2006, 09:02 PM

I cant stop laughing!!!

Vamp
04-20-2006, 09:52 AM
Seriously though, what do you do when you've spent that much on four DX9 graphics cards, and in a year DX10 comes out. You're fucked....

clocker
04-20-2006, 10:36 AM
Seriously though, if you can afford to buy a $10k machine, when the new cards come out you can afford them as well.

May have to cut back on the Perrier Jouet for a week or two but sacrifices must be made.

fkdup74
04-20-2006, 01:08 PM
Seriously though, what do you do when you've spent that much on four DX9 graphics cards, and in a year DX10 comes out. You're fucked....

on that note....
I'd rather, if I felt inclined to spend 10 grand, spend it on DX9.
DX10 has yet to be released, it could still be years away. (refer to Vista development for example) :P
It will have to go through it's maturing phase, bug fixes, etc. on both the hardware and software ends.
So I'd say spending 10k on DX10 would be even more ludicrous than spending it on DX9.

-edit- interesting....DX10 will drop backwards compatability with older DX versions...nice move M$. :dry:
DX9 is rumored to be supported through a software layer, which will suck ass, it seems.

Seedler
04-21-2006, 02:53 AM
$1500 for a machine will run current games at pretty much MAX.

2 years from now the system can still run games at playable settings, but here's when you ditch it and get another one.

the $1500/2 years ratio is pretty much golden.

cpt_azad
04-21-2006, 03:07 AM
$1500 for a machine will run current games at pretty much MAX.

2 years from now the system can still run games at playable settings, but here's when you ditch it and get another one.

the $1500/2 years ratio is pretty much golden.
Ya, if you're gay.

$1500/2 year ratio is a load. Buy a computer and stick with it for at least 4 years is my rule of thumb, unless you love to waste money, then by all means go nuts. Obviously if you're going to be buying a computer any time soon you'd have half the brains to do some research, and once you do you'll realize the technologies coming out soon and what not. Using that info you can ask yourself whether buying a computer now is a good idea or whether to wait until that new piece of tech. comes out. It's all relative.

Once it's out of the box it's old. Now that's the golden rule.

Edit: If you spend more than 2 grand on a comp. either you're loaded or you don't look for the lowest prices possible, a 10k comp. is just fuckin ridiculous.

thecreator89
04-21-2006, 03:12 AM
"Justify"?
Don't be silly.

Amen.

:D I agree... don't spoil the fact that I am building a really pimped out computer for college right now.

clocker
04-21-2006, 10:15 AM
Buy a computer and stick with it for at least 4 years is my rule of thumb, unless you love to waste money, then by all means go nuts.
This says more about you than the people you're describing.
Obviously if you're going to be buying a computer any time soon you'd have half the brains to do some research, and once you do you'll realize the technologies coming out soon and what not. Using that info you can ask yourself whether buying a computer now is a good idea or whether to wait until that new piece of tech. comes out.
The perfect formula for never buying anything.
There is always something newer/better just around the corner. That's how the game works.
It's all relative.
Leave my mother out of this please.

Once it's out of the box it's old. Now that's the golden rule.
Agree with you there.

Edit: If you spend more than 2 grand on a comp. either you're loaded or you don't look for the lowest prices possible, a 10k comp. is just fuckin ridiculous.
A $10K PC would be totally tits...can you really say you wouldn't love to have one?

Seedler
04-21-2006, 11:33 AM
$1500/2 year ratio is a load. Buy a computer and stick with it for at least 4 years is my rule of thumb

:ermm: That's just you, because you don't seem that big of a gamer.

I'd like to see you buy a comp right now and still play the latest games 4 years from now. You tit. Stfu and think before you talk. Keep your shite opinions to yourself or at least add IMO to your feckin worthless BSing.

ApacNTS
04-21-2006, 12:35 PM
heh 4 years, i can already say that my 7900gt will be having trouble with newer games by then, and im pretty sure, my 3500+ will be wheezing a bit to keep up. games are only going to get more advanced. i mean graphically ut2k4 vs doom3, quake 4? huge diffrence in short time. guess i'll add the imo just to cover myself. :P

cpt_azad
04-21-2006, 11:04 PM
$1500/2 year ratio is a load. Buy a computer and stick with it for at least 4 years is my rule of thumb

I'd like to see you buy a comp right now and still play the latest games 4 years from now. You tit. Stfu and think before you talk. Keep your shite opinions to yourself or at least add IMO to your feckin worthless BSing.

I bought my POS back in 2001, have yet to replace it (I haven't bought that comp that I wanted to build yet) and it runs fine, only game that runs crappy is FEAR, but as you said I'm not a gamer. I'm such a tit for saving money, that's pretty cool dumbass :stars:.

But I should point out that I upgraded the vid card and put some extra mem. into it since 2001.

clocker
04-21-2006, 11:14 PM
But I should point out that I upgraded the vid card and put some extra mem. into it since 2001.
Oh you reckless spendthrift you.

cpt_azad
04-22-2006, 01:24 AM
But I should point out that I upgraded the vid card and put some extra mem. into it since 2001. Oh you reckless spendthrift you.

lawl. :naughty:

Seedler
04-22-2006, 10:08 PM

I bought my POS back in 2001, have yet to replace it (I haven't bought that comp that I wanted to build yet) and it runs fine, only game that runs crappy is FEAR, but as you said I'm not a gamer. I'm such a tit for saving money, that's pretty cool dumbass :stars:.

In 2001 the midrange-high end comp at most had a pentium 4 1.6-2.0ghz, 128mb-1gig ram, and a shitty FX5200-5600 or a Radeon 9000-9600.

Don't tell me a system like that is not obsolete.

Sure, you can still run some games released nowdays, but at the lowest resolutions and with lag. You can't even run more demanding games with that system, like HL2: LC or Oblivion.

And upgrading such an obsolete system is plain stupid, because mobo back then hadn't even heard of PCI-E and used AGP, so if you were indeed telling the truth then you actually went out and bought an AGP vid card.

Stop BSing you retarded tit.:dry:

cpt_azad
04-22-2006, 11:53 PM

In 2001 the midrange-high end comp at most had a pentium 4 1.6-2.0ghz, 128mb-1gig ram, and a shitty FX5200-5600 or a Radeon 9000-9600.

Don't tell me a system like that is not obsolete.

Sure, you can still run some games released nowdays, but at the lowest resolutions and with lag. You can't even run more demanding games with that system, like HL2: LC or Oblivion.

And upgrading such an obsolete system is plain stupid, because mobo back then hadn't even heard of PCI-E and used AGP, so if you were indeed telling the truth then you actually went out and bought an AGP vid card.

Stop BSing you retarded tit.:dry:

When did I say I had a PCI-E mobo? Never. I said I was thinking of purchasing one along w/ many other components. Think before you type/speak buds.

And yes, I did have 5200 (nice guess) for a while, it ran HL2 at 800x600 fine (when you consider the size of the monitor, resolution is negligible at least to me anyway).

erRor67
04-23-2006, 05:20 AM
chill out ladies...

My typewriter pwns all your computers.. The other day i was playing HL2: lost coast on it and the graphics were 1337! :rolleyes:

cpt_azad
04-23-2006, 07:27 PM
chill out ladies...

My typewriter pwns all your computers.. The other day i was playing HL2: lost coast on it and the graphics were 1337! :rolleyes:

:lol:..so were the graphics ASCII or something? :stars:

Seedler
04-23-2006, 09:44 PM
When did I say I had a PCI-E mobo? Never.

I never said that you said you had one.:blink:

I was making the point to you about how stupid it is to purchase an AGP gfx card upgrade for your comp nowdays.:ermm:

Chill man. It's okay, I pwned you. Just let it go.:whistling

cpt_azad
04-24-2006, 06:23 AM
When did I say I had a PCI-E mobo? Never.
I never said that you said you had one.:blink:

I was making the point to you about how stupid it is to purchase an AGP gfx card upgrade for your comp nowdays.:ermm:

Chill man. It's okay, I pwned you. Just let it go.:whistling

I shall not sleep till I pwn you back :pinch:.......but for now, cookies :D

madonion
04-24-2006, 03:15 PM
When did I say I had a PCI-E mobo? Never. I said I was thinking of purchasing one along w/ many other components. Think before you type/speak buds.

we'd appreciate it if u'd think twice before logging in. seems the forums would be a whole lot nicer without ur juvenile responses.

madonion :cool:

clocker
04-24-2006, 03:28 PM
we'd appreciate it if u'd think twice before logging in. seems the forums would be a whole lot nicer without ur juvenile responses.

One presumes you are using the royal "we".

cpt_azad
04-24-2006, 11:49 PM

Oh ya definitely, since you don't have the cranial capacity to actually go through previous threads (and obvioulsy with someone like you with high stature, Mr. gangster, wouldn't bother to go through with that trouble) you would realize that I was telling the truth.

Do the forums a favour and don't post about other people's posts that clearly are not juvenile (I'm assuming you thought that I was trying to defend my previous post earlier on in this thread, of course how someone like you can think boggles even my mind).

I'm sorry that I don't like your taste in music, but you sir, are a certified fag. And no not a cigarette either for they hold more respect and power than you ever will. No, I don't hate rap, so don't classify me as a "hater" either, it's people like you that sully the name of music genres.

Seedler
04-25-2006, 01:42 AM
:geptardrod:

Pwned him back madonion.

cpt_azad
04-25-2006, 04:08 AM
:geptardrod:

Pwned him back madonion.
Elaborate how posting a bunch of gibberish is considered pwning. At any rate, do I care? Not really no.

clocker
04-25-2006, 10:06 AM
Did I take a wrong turn and end up in MusicWorld?

4play
04-25-2006, 10:51 AM
$10,000 for a pc is defiently out of my price range.

I spent £300 on a newish pc back in 2001 and just upgraded the ram and video card. Seems to run all the games i have ever wanted to play pretty well. It probably is time for an upgrade but i cant be arsed since the latest games still play fine.

Guess you either have to be a hardcore gamer\tinkerer or just have more sense than money to buy a $10,000 pc.