PDA

View Full Version : disclaimers on movies/books etc.

vidcc
04-16-2006, 09:58 PM
At the end of most movies there is a disclaimer along the lines of "all charaters are fictional and any resemblence to any person living or dead blah blah blah is purely coincidental".... to avoid royalty lawsuits.

However lately there has been a push to put disclaimers on books and movies that question a specific religion. Opus Dei has asked for a disclaimer on the upcoming film based on the Da Vinci Code. story (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060415/ap_on_en_mo/da_vinci_code)
There was a push to have disclaimers on science books that deal with evolution.
The same could be said about political opinion books/movies

Should:

all movies/books carry disclaimers about content?

No movie/book should have a disclaimer

Books/movies that deal with certain subject should (please expand)

Other (please explain)

manker
04-18-2006, 01:21 PM
Quite clearly, fictional works should carry such a disclaimer if the author feels confusion could arise and they wish to protect themselves from some litigation. Non-fictional works shouldn't carry such a disclaimer.

Work which is a mix of fact and fiction should carry an altogether more complex disclaimer, in the form of an appendix or historical notes to explain which parts are based on events which occured and which the author made up. This is de rigueur anyhow.

Btw, that link contains a massive spoiler.

clocker
04-18-2006, 01:41 PM
Where is the disclaimer on the Bible?
Or the Koran?

Or any religious tract for that matter?

Barbarossa
04-18-2006, 01:43 PM
I think it would be helpful to know what you are going to read about, before you read it. :blink:

Cheese
04-18-2006, 01:47 PM
Sony Pictures Entertainment should totally fuck with them and end the movie with the words "FACT" coming on the screen.

Barbarossa
04-18-2006, 01:48 PM
They should rename the film "The Da Vinci Code. Fact."

manker
04-18-2006, 02:02 PM
Where is the disclaimer on the Bible?
Or the Koran?

Or any religious tract for that matter?Burn the heretic!

They're 100% non fiction and shouldn't carry such a disclaimer. Yup, all of them.

Cheese
04-18-2006, 02:13 PM
Where will the disclaimer be shown? At the end with the credits that no-one ever reads or right at the start to needlessly break the fourth wall?

maebach
04-19-2006, 08:53 PM
They should rename the film "The Da Vinci Code. Fact."

"The Da Vinci Code, True Story. Fact."

disclaimers suck

ahctlucabbuS
04-20-2006, 10:13 AM
Isn't it obvious that science is not necessarily fact? :rolleyes:

I voted for option 2, then again, on second thought...

All books having a disclaimer though; wouldn't it be akin to denying our culture's accumulated knowledge?

I think each and everyone of us should be branded with a disclaimer: Be adviced. Your view of the world, situations and events might not correspond to their true nature. :nihilism:

Manker's post makes sense, by the way.

CortexRock
04-20-2006, 11:45 AM
The one I hate is "Based on a true story" or "Based on true events" - apart from the subjectivity of what makes something 'true' - this is just licence for Hollywood to screw around with history:

Braveheart
The Patriot
U-571
Pearl Harbour
Star Wars I: The Phantom Menace
The Last Samurai

to name but a few lousy films, based on someone's interpretation of truth.

ahctlucabbuS
04-20-2006, 03:03 PM

I can see how this one fits with the list. :no2: :idunno:

CortexRock
04-20-2006, 11:05 PM

I can see how this one fits with the list. :no2: :idunno:

One word for you: midichlorians.

ahctlucabbuS
04-20-2006, 11:45 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midichlorians

Curse you for making me read Star Wars lore! ;)

3RA1N1AC
04-27-2006, 08:11 AM
The one I hate is "Based on a true story" or "Based on true events" - apart from the subjectivity of what makes something 'true' - this is just licence for Hollywood to screw around with history:

as odd as it may sound: "true story" and "true events" are actually meant to denote two different things. the two labels aren't just applied randomly.

"true story" means it's a story as it (supposedly) happened in real life. approximately.

"true events" means it's a mixture of more than one (supposedly) true story, or a liberal mixture of truth & fiction. it's less true than something labelled as a "true story."

as for the "resemblance" disclaimer. there are only so many stories that can possibly be told, right? i mean, there's only so many basic conflicts & basic themes to go around. most (if not all) of them well-established in classical times. originality is HARD, man. it's a hard thing to achieve. maybe even impossible. it's all been done before? and whenever we call something original or innovative, we really mean it's a relatively original variation or pastiche of something that's all been done before. you know? can't put a copyright on the human condition.

3RA1N1AC
04-27-2006, 08:15 AM
midichlorians.
retcon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retcon).