PDA

View Full Version : Help! XP Needs to be activated?!

Vamp
04-18-2006, 08:01 PM
I have an original (yes) copy of XP. I have a desktop PC and a laptop for somework that's not going to be connected to the internet, I installed my original XP onto the laptop, but didn't want to register it in case my main PC failed and I needed to install XP on that and I'd already wasted a registration on a laptop that isn't as crucial as my desktop.

I installed XP on the laptop and used an authentication crack in which I replaced WinLogon with a cracked copy, and used two programs, Reset2 and popup.bat which got rid of the 30-day limit thing, or so I thought. Now (30 days later, I think) Windows wont start up and says I need to register and asks if I want to. When I say Yes, it just makes the error ding and takes me back to the log-on screen.

What can I do?! I really need this laptop right now!

I can boot into Safe Mode if that helps

If this is an illegal thread, please can someone PM me the answer, this is crucial!

Virtualbody1234
04-18-2006, 08:39 PM
Get Windows XP Corporate edition already.

Vamp
04-18-2006, 08:40 PM
Problem sorted. Hopefully.

Chip Monk
04-18-2006, 08:44 PM
I don't really think people should be giving you advice on how to get round security software on an internet filesharing forum. That sort of thing attracts attention.

The question itself is bad enough, but if people start to actually tell you how to do it then that's probably illegal.

Vamp
04-18-2006, 08:53 PM
Well, can XP be legally authenticated on more than one PC? (If one registration if over the net and one is over the phone) or is it strictly one copy per PC?

{I}{K}{E}
04-18-2006, 09:01 PM
Well, can XP be legally authenticated on more than one PC? (If one registration if over the net and one is over the phone) or is it strictly one copy per PC?

nope. 1 per PC.

keyser_soze
04-18-2006, 09:15 PM
Thats a bit shit, if someone owns the disc they should be entitled to install it on as many pcs as they like and if ms dont like it it should be down to them to prove its not your pc, tut no wonder theres so much filesharing going on :unsure:

{I}{K}{E}
04-18-2006, 09:36 PM
Thats a bit shit, if someone owns the disc they should be entitled to install it on as many pcs as they like and if ms dont like it it should be down to them to prove its not your pc, tut no wonder theres so much filesharing going on :unsure:

I've read somewhere that if you replace more then X hardware parts you need to buy a new windows key. :stars:

onton
04-19-2006, 01:47 AM
Originally Posted by {I}{K}{E}
I've read somewhere that if you replace more then X hardware parts you need to buy a new windows key.

Replacing the Motherboard will do it.

fkdup74
04-19-2006, 03:13 AM

if you ask them (M$)....you don't o0wn the software, you didn't buy the software
you bought a license
read the EULA

peat moss
04-19-2006, 03:22 AM
Wow thought this was an old thread for a minute ! We must be getting ready for Vista ? :shifty: I'm kidding as its getting harder to use a Volume license key for crying out loud ! :dry:

tesco
04-20-2006, 02:06 PM

I've read somewhere that if you replace more then X hardware parts you need to buy a new windows key. :stars:
You don't have to buy it again you just need to call MS activation number and prove to them that you have just upgraded the same computer and they will reactivate you.

Chip Monk
04-20-2006, 08:03 PM
You don't have to buy it again you just need to call MS activation number and prove to them that you have just upgraded the same computer and they will reactivate you.
That's certainly what I thought. I remember there were some stories that if you changed a cedrtain number of parts then it was a new machine and you had to buy new Windows. MS said that wasn't true and as long as you had it on just one machine then it was up to you.

That of course is different for pre-installed oem versions. They buy the licences for a specific machine, get them cheaper and the recovery software is for that machine. They are not full licences as such.

clocker
04-21-2006, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by {I}{K}{E}
I've read somewhere that if you replace more then X hardware parts you need to buy a new windows key.

The OEM license is keyed to the motherboard.
Replace the board (and in an increasing number of cases original boards are either no longer available or absurdly priced) and you must reactivate over the phone. So far, our success rate at the shop has been 100%- the only concern from MS is "has this been installed on more than one machine?"

Retail versions of XP seem to be governed by a more complex algorithm...you're allowed "x" number of hardware changes before activation kicks back in. Again, the "only one PC" question is the deciding factor.

This is only from personal experience however...who really knows how MS thinks?

muchspl3
04-21-2006, 03:30 PM
The OEM license is keyed to the motherboard.
Replace the board (and in an increasing number of cases original boards are either no longer available or absurdly priced) and you must reactivate over the phone. So far, our success rate at the shop has been 100%- the only concern from MS is "has this been installed on more than one machine?"

Retail versions of XP seem to be governed by a more complex algorithm...you're allowed "x" number of hardware changes before activation kicks back in. Again, the "only one PC" question is the deciding factor.

This is only from personal experience however...who really knows how MS thinks?
http://www.aviransplace.com/index.php/archives/2006/02/15/microsoft-upgraded-motherboard-new-licence/

Mïcrösöül°V³
04-23-2006, 10:12 AM
I have activated my copy many times on several different pcs. All you have to do is call on the phone and make up some stupid low number of times that you've reinstalled it, and they just give you a code to enter. The people who answer the phones dont seem to care anymore than what they read on their screens when you call. When they ask me "how many times has this copy been installed?", I always say 5 :shifty: But again, I own this copy and I help out freinds who dont own one, so I dont feel wrong about it :P As far as I know, you can activate 3 times before you have to call, and the whole thing gets reset after 3 months of no activity (no new activations on the same copy), so you can do it all over again :lol: