PDA

View Full Version : the BUILDING process

thecreator89
04-21-2006, 02:58 AM
All my parts remaining parts come in tomorrow from new egg.

When I put my computer together, what shoould I connect first? CPU to Motherboard to Case, psu to case to motherboard, cards to board to psu, hd and dvdr to case to motherboard [to soundcard] to psu.

it seems pretty straight forward, and i know that My computer will be different from everyone elses, but are there any general guidlines for assembling a computer?

tesco
04-21-2006, 03:35 AM
Usually it's earier to put the cpu on the motherbaord and clamp on the heatsink while they're out of the case.
Put the motherboard into the case next then the other parts, vid card and other addon cards last since they seem to be easiest to hit and get in the way a lot too when hooking up stuff.

I usually leave things like IDE cables, sata cables, etc. to last as well (get all the components into the case THEN hook up).

lynx
04-21-2006, 09:18 AM
eariereerier? :blink:

clocker
04-21-2006, 09:42 AM
Install the CPU and it's heatsink, the RAM and the video card onto the motherboard and POST the assembly outside the case.
If successful, remove the vid card and install the board into the case- replace the card.
POST again.

The order of the rest is up to you.

Seedler
04-21-2006, 11:28 AM
Google a tutorial.

ApacNTS
04-21-2006, 12:26 PM
way i did it was replaced the psu in my case, then cpu/heatsink/ram outside of case on mobo, put mobo in case then, dvdrw, harddrive, ide cables, power cables(did quick boot here to check all fans and lights on case), video card(attached pci power).

thecreator89
04-21-2006, 11:26 PM
Install the CPU and it's heatsink, the RAM and the video card onto the motherboard and POST the assembly outside the case.
If successful, remove the vid card and install the board into the case- replace the card.
POST again.

The order of the rest is up to you.

What do you mean by "Post"? I'm guessing it means either post it here or test it out...

clocker
04-21-2006, 11:44 PM
POST= "power on self test".
It's the self diagnostic that (if successful) ends with the familiar cheery "beep" we all know and love before Windows loads.
You do the POST test outside the case to eliminate the possibility that one of the core components is bad before you go to the trouble of installing into the case.

Shit happens ya know and it's not unheard of to have a bad part right out of the box.

ilw
04-21-2006, 11:46 PM
POST = power on self test
basically its all the text crap you get at the very start. As long as when you switch on the comp you get that then all the hardware is working, it won't load anything after that obviously because theres no Operating System installed.
If you just get beeps and no text on screen then you've got problems.

thecreator89
04-22-2006, 03:15 PM
POST= "power on self test".
It's the self diagnostic that (if successful) ends with the familiar cheery "beep" we all know and love before Windows loads.
You do the POST test outside the case to eliminate the possibility that one of the core components is bad before you go to the trouble of installing into the case.

Shit happens ya know and it's not unheard of to have a bad part right out of the box.

ok, so whenI post it, ONE beep is good?

I've read about this somehwere, that different beep patterns correspond to different hardware. is this what POSTing is?

zapjb
04-22-2006, 04:23 PM
@thecreator89 Good luck building. But look here:
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/member.php?u=1704
You are using MagicNakor's avatar. A well respected Moderator here at FST.
So in respect to those that came before you & have contributed a lot. Get another avatar.

thecreator89
04-23-2006, 11:24 PM
@thecreator89 Good luck building. But look here:
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/member.php?u=1704
You are using MagicNakor's avatar. A well respected Moderator here at FST.
So in respect to those that came before you & have contributed a lot. Get another avatar.

dude i've been here a while, not as long as him, but this has been my aim avatar for the last 4 years. You wanna report me, be a douchbag and go ahead. but i did not get it from Nakor.

zapjb
04-24-2006, 02:31 AM
First come, first served. MagicNakor Join Date: 11-28-2002. And I did it without insulting you. Amazing! :)