PDA

View Full Version : will bubblewrap protect my PC

brenda
04-21-2006, 03:59 PM
This is the senario :

PCs kept in an unheated room where they might be subject to condensation. So when not in use I have been covering the base, keyboard and screen in bubblewrap to protect them.

I'd value your opinions, d'ya it's a good idea? could I be doing more?

By the way moving them to a different location isn't an option.

Virtualbody1234
04-21-2006, 04:50 PM
I think it's somewhat of a waste of time to cover them. Dampness will take a long time to have an effect on a PC. Especially when it won't be worth much in 5 years.

If you're really worried the just leave the PC on 24/7 keeping the components warm. :)

Yoga
04-21-2006, 05:49 PM
It would be easier just to put the components in a plastic container.

brenda
04-22-2006, 04:18 PM
I think it's somewhat of a waste of time to cover them. Dampness will take a long time to have an effect on a PC. Especially when it won't be worth much in 5 years.

If you're really worried the just leave the PC on 24/7 keeping the components warm. :)

wouldn't keeping them on 24/7 frazzle them more quickely/ley?

Virtualbody1234
04-22-2006, 04:57 PM
No. I leave my computers on all the time.

Seedler
04-22-2006, 09:54 PM
Coat your parts with vegetable oil.

Works wonders.

Trust me.

Not responsible for broken comp that could possibly cause bodily harm.

kinson7
06-03-2006, 08:12 PM
Coat your parts with vegetable oil.

Works wonders.

Trust me.

Not responsible for broken comp that could possibly cause bodily harm.

:D

clocker
06-04-2006, 07:56 AM
Trust me.

Implicitly.

Storm
06-04-2006, 10:45 AM
This is the senario :

PCs kept in an unheated room where they might be subject to condensation. So when not in use I have been covering the base, keyboard and screen in bubblewrap to protect them.

I'd value your opinions, d'ya it's a good idea? could I be doing more?

By the way moving them to a different location isn't an option.

covering your PC with bubblewrap wont do anything......

condensation occurs when something in your room is cooler than the surrounding air...... the more humid the air is, the more condensation will occur.

now since there is no way your PC sitting in your room can be colder than the surrounding air (save one of those freezing units for your PC), condensation wont occur on your PC.
the only exception to this would be if the air in your room is overly saturated with water (but this will really only occur if you leave all the hot water taps in the house running), but even then wrapping up your pc will only trap the allready moist air in your PC, and not do you any good.

check this for more info (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condensation)

clocker
06-04-2006, 01:28 PM
Instead of doing all that typing you could have just trusted Seedler.

suprafreak6
06-04-2006, 04:28 PM
yeah i think i lost his trust, after i just tried putting vegetable oil on my graphics card because it was running a little hot...now i gotta send it in again!
just kidding folks...condensation wont occur..every boy genius knows that, but i mean Storm had to beat me to the dang post