cool skill
04-22-2006, 02:10 PM
Which XP Service Pack do you use?

Boogieman117
04-28-2006, 04:02 AM
Sp2

ZaZu
04-28-2006, 05:42 AM
Still on SP1 ... anyone know of any serious reason I should install SP2? ... I have the SP2 cd

Damnatory
04-28-2006, 08:24 AM
I use a fully hacked version of SP2 that is made by these guys:

http://www.retestrak.nl/

If you plan to be using XP for a while longer, I would suggest it to anyone! It's been a breeze for me. :D You can find links to the latest version in their forum.

cool skill
04-28-2006, 10:45 AM
I'm using Microsoft XP Professional Version 2002 SP1.

I've been hesitant to update to SP2 because it installs all kinds of junk that eats up my resources.

What is SP2?
Would it be a good idea to upgrade?
Is there a safe way to do so?

backlash
04-28-2006, 12:16 PM
I use SP1. I installed SP2 once, but I don't feel I need it. I like it to say Microsoft XP Professional when I boot up. :)

nanotek
04-28-2006, 05:34 PM
sp2 is shit, i tried it a while back and it made my pc slow down so i moved back to sp1 with all updates till sp2

cool skill
05-01-2006, 09:39 PM
Is there a safe way to install SP2?
I'm trying to install a program. (The latest version of Adobe Premier.)
It says Windows installer needs SP 2. Is there anyway I can install this program on an SP 1 computer?

According to the site, the system requirement is MS Windows XP Home Edition SP2.
http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/systemreqs.html

Does this mean I cannot use this on a XP Pro SP1?

zapjb
05-02-2006, 12:03 AM
SP2 sped up my computer a lot.

Mïcrösöül°V³
05-02-2006, 01:48 AM
I use sp2 because..........I dont know why, its just the reasonable thing to do when service packs come out. I think the idea behind service packs are to fix issues and security flaws, or they are made to take over the world and kill us all. Either way.......whatever, I dont care. I update everything when the MAN tells me to, and I have never had a problem. :)

Mïcrösöül°V³
05-02-2006, 01:51 AM
Yea..........use windows update. :blink:

Monkeee
05-02-2006, 02:30 AM
i stick with SP1, been using it for a while and no harm has come to my computer so don't see a reason to change.

cool skill
05-02-2006, 03:42 AM
I think I tried that like last year, and regretted it. I forgot what SP2 does, but I remember my computer got pretty messed up.

Chewie
05-02-2006, 02:07 PM
I think I tried that like last year, and regretted it. I forgot what SP2 does, but I remember my computer got pretty messed up.
I doubt that SP2 would be the cause of any computer getting 'messed up'.

It has a feature unpopular with a lot of the P2P community but a fix is readily available, and that's pretty much all its downsides.
On the other hand, some unnecessary services (uPNP, messenger) previously enabled are disabled by the update and security flaws are addressed.

On the whole, I haven't heard a good reason to not install it.

Gripper
05-02-2006, 03:38 PM
sp2,onlyhad the problem chewie metioned which was easily sorted

4play
05-03-2006, 03:12 PM
sp2 as well. Anyone that says it broke there xp must have had plenty of malware on their system already and probably did us all a favour breaking it.

he 25/50 half open connections limit was a pain and the removal of raw sockets might be as well but it was all to fight worms so im happy with microsofts decision.

elkinm
05-03-2006, 08:04 PM
The best part of SP2 is the IE enhancements like the popup blocker and activex control. Sometimes the extra prompts get annoying but it is a small step forward.

The security center will bug you about the firewall, antivirus and windows update. I disabled all the warnings.
The Connections limit can be changed.

The worst for me was that it installed WMP9 which also updated the WMP activex control in IE. I liked the simpler and easier 6.4 based activex control.

Some programs may have problems with SP2 dew to different settings, possibly because of the firewall being on by default and the connection limit.

Mostly a decent upgrade.

I ordered the free SP2 CD online so I don't need to waste time downloading and waiting.

twisterX
05-03-2006, 09:00 PM
First thing after installing SP2 was to disable the Firewall, Anti-Virus Updater and the other third thing. You have to make it yellow so it doesn't bother you when you disable something.

Gto286
05-12-2006, 12:04 PM
i use Sp1 , i had sp2 once it messed up my pc bad and was killer of my resources and such. so i got rid of ti and keep the pc up to date with sp1

also i heard theres a sp3 ? or something like that?

Chewie
05-12-2006, 09:22 PM
i use Sp1 , i had sp2 once it messed up my pc bad and was killer of my resources and such. so i got rid of ti and keep the pc up to date with sp1
That's two people that have blamed SP2 for major computer problems, without actually detailing what the problems were.
Any chance of anyone letting us in on exactly what happened?

cool skill
05-20-2006, 01:14 PM
That's what I wonder about. Doesn't SP2 use alot of resources while SP 1 is alot cleaner?
I have been using SP1 perfectly.
What exactly can SP2 do?

The only prob I've had with SP1 is that the latest version of Adobe Premier cannot be installed.