PDA

View Full Version : Champions League Places - The FA

What'spunk.
04-23-2006, 07:51 PM
The search, at the FA website, gave us

"... The UEFA Champions League is open to each national association's ... just behind them in the domestic championship table ... by an association and their entry point in ... "

Which suggested we had a result.

The link http://www.thefa.com/TheFA/ContactUs/Postings/2004/03/European_Places.htm?WBCMODE=PresentationUnpublished

I'm finding it hard to find another similarly limited page.

4play
04-23-2006, 10:26 PM
erm the link is dead and im not quite getting what your really pointing out.

manker
04-23-2006, 10:43 PM
It's a carry on from the other thread.

We found out that the onus would be on the FA to apply for Arsenal to go into next years CL if they win it this year and they finish below fourth in this year's EPL.

It would make sense for the FA to have already made their position clear (that Arsenal would go thro' and Spurs would go into the UEFA cup, as everyone seems to have assumed).

However, I can't find a statement from the FA to this effect.

Barbarossa
04-24-2006, 08:55 AM

In fact you could say, you've got sweet FA, from the FA :pinch:

DanB
04-24-2006, 04:37 PM

We found out that the onus would be on the FA to apply for Arsenal to go into next years CL if they win it this year and they finish below fourth in this year's EPL.

It would make sense for the FA to have already made their position clear (that Arsenal would go thro' and Spurs would go into the UEFA cup, as everyone seems to have assumed).

Wasn't this all clarified ages ago? :unsure:

If Arsenal win the CL they must (as per UEFA) defend the title so the 4th placed Premiership team loses their spot.

manker
04-24-2006, 05:35 PM

Wasn't this all clarified ages ago? :unsure:

If Arsenal win the CL they must (as per UEFA) defend the title so the 4th placed Premiership team loses their spot.Apparently not, mate. Tho' I thought so too.

In the other thread a link was posted to the UEFA rule change where it stipulates that if the winner of the cup does not qualify for next years tournament by right, then the regulatory body can make an application for them to participate at the expense of the 4th placed team.

What'spunk.
04-24-2006, 06:35 PM
Rule 1.03 regarding qualifying teams makes reference to it. It only really effects countries with 4 places though.

Maybe the FA have already said what they will do if it happens, which is why I was looking on their website. I thought it was really funny that page was unavailable. As if someone had thought, shit we dont want commited on this one.

4play
04-24-2006, 07:13 PM
Im pretty sure the fa have said if someone finishes outside the champions league places but wins it they will go forward in place of the person in 4th. sorry cant find any url to confirm it though.

Cheese
04-24-2006, 08:19 PM
Arsenal winning the Champions League would be a nightmare. It would be horrific if we finished fourth and weren't in it, watching some team from one of those tiny little countries playing in the Champions League.

Martin Jol.

Fromagepas
04-24-2006, 08:43 PM
Fuck them cunts, who gives a fuck.

Arsene Wenger

DorisInsinuate
04-24-2006, 09:28 PM
I'd love it, love it, if Spurs finished fourth but were denied their Champions League debut.

BBC paraphrasing Arsene Wenger.

Cheese
04-24-2006, 09:47 PM
I'd love it, love it, if Spurs finished fourth but were denied their Champions League debut.

That brought a smile to my face when I read it, then I punched myself in the face for smiling at Newcastle's choking the title race.

Fromagepas
04-24-2006, 09:52 PM

That brought a smile to my face when I read it, then I punched myself in the face for smiling at Newcastle's choking the title race.
Likewise, except I just smiled again when I got the reference. There was no face punching involved.

DorisInsinuate
04-24-2006, 11:58 PM
Love it, love it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzDakZzA2UQ

manker
04-25-2006, 10:35 AM
Love it, love it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzDakZzA2UQI love that clip, love it.

I'd love it even more if it was unedited and not interspersed with mediocre comedians because they let him keep some dignity and didn't show the tears in that clip :happy:

4play
04-25-2006, 10:53 AM
yeah that must have been one of them ghey 100 greatest football moment's as voted for by people on the dole shows.

totalwar
04-25-2006, 02:07 PM
They let Liverpool go though this year to Champions League so be very unfair if Arsenal didn't go though next year.But Arsenal got to win it first.

Yes Arsenal though too the final won 1.0.yepheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee