View Full Version : My Mom's PC

clocker
04-24-2006, 11:52 AM
A call from Mom,
I hear the pain,
Her poor PC,
Circles the drain....

Oh well...'twas inevitable.
My mother's PC, a five year old eMachines, finally went toes up.

She can't complain really...it's been running 24/7 since new under the worst possible conditions. Housed in a desk cubby, it gets zero airflow and is only blown out when I visit- to her great dismay, I must add.
An old school house marm, she is always appalled at the dust build up, little aware of the affinity that dust has for fans and electronic components.

Not exactly what one would call a "power user", Mom basically cruises the internet, produces newsletters for the hospital volunteer group and her homeowner's association and plays Spider Solitaire.
Lots of Spider Solitaire.

Seems like the perfect chance to play the good son and come to the rescue (and cadge some excellent home cooking in the bargain, as well).
You see, I just so happen to have enough stuff laying around (or, to be strictly accurate, stuffed into boxes somewhere) to build her a replacement.
My castoffs will actually be an upgrade for her.
Kinda works out for the both of us...she gets a better computer and I score some major brownie points along with a bit of a closet clean.
Perfect, really.

The only part I lacked was a suitable case- her eMachines was too small and proprietary to house my parts- but I work at a computer store, so I nabbed one of our cheapo "standard build" beauties.

Grubbing around in my closet of castoffs I came up with the following:
-a nearly unused Sparkle 530w PSU
-Asus A7N8 Deluxe motherboard
-Barton core 2500+ Athlon CPU
-ATI 9600 XT vid card w/ Arctic Cooling HSF
-3x 512 MB Patriot/Mushkin RAM
-80GB Seagate SATA HDD
-Samsung CD-RW
-generic floppy (she doesn't need it but I do to load the SATA drivers)
...and a the requisite cables, screws and doodads to assemble it.

I also have my recently retired (legal) copy of XP Home (might have to dicker with MS over this but I'll bet I can get it activated).

Oh yeah, and an entire passive watercooled loop.
Mom is extremely anxious about the water bits, despite my assurances the whole concept stikes her as against nature and common sense.
I may defer and just go with air, after all, I also have at least three heatsinks I could use as well.
And case fans of course...lots and lots of case fans.:naughty:

Not exactly the way I had planned to spend my weekend- Sprocket is somewhat miffed that she won't be the object of my ministrations- but what's a son to do?

Shouldn't be a particularly arduous build (especially if I forgo the waterloop) and I'll try to get some pics of the finished machine...it won't be anything very special, so don't get your hopes up.

Now, off to the build.

lynx
04-24-2006, 12:32 PM
Cookies, I bet this involves cookies. :rolleyes:

peat moss
04-24-2006, 12:41 PM
Not a bad set up from grubbing around the closet . Lots of good free Solitaire games to choose from too . My mudder in-law loves the FF add on one works in the newest version .

Good luck ! :)

http://cardgames.mozdev.org/installation.html

clocker
04-24-2006, 03:26 PM
Yes, there will be cookies.

It's formatting right now.
Hopefully, luck will not be necessary.

Virtualbody1234
04-24-2006, 05:22 PM
What happened to the eMachines?

Skiz
04-24-2006, 06:26 PM
Your "castaway" "cheapo" parts are beating me in several areas of my current setup. :dry:

-a nearly unused Sparkle 530w PSU I have Shuttle 200w PSU
-Asus A7N8 Deluxe motherboard I have Shuttle FX41 - VIA VT8375 ProSavageDDR KM266
-Barton core 2500+ Athlon CPU I have Athlon XP 2100+ 1733 MHz
-ATI 9600 XT vid card w/ Arctic Cooling HSF I have GeForce 4600ti
-3x 512 MB Patriot/Mushkin RAM I have 1 gig
-80GB Seagate SATA HDD
-Samsung CD-RW
...and a the requisite cables, screws and doodads to assemble it.

silent h3ro
04-24-2006, 11:50 PM
Your "castaway" "cheapo" parts are beating me in several areas of my current setup. :dry:

-a nearly unused Sparkle 530w PSU I have Shuttle 200w PSU
-Asus A7N8 Deluxe motherboard I have Shuttle FX41 - VIA VT8375 ProSavageDDR KM266
-Barton core 2500+ Athlon CPU I have Athlon XP 2100+ 1733 MHz
-ATI 9600 XT vid card w/ Arctic Cooling HSF I have GeForce 4600ti
-3x 512 MB Patriot/Mushkin RAM I have 1 gig
-80GB Seagate SATA HDD
-Samsung CD-RW
...and a the requisite cables, screws and doodads to assemble it.Time for an upgrade maybe?? :whistling

Smith
04-25-2006, 12:19 AM
Pretty decient computer for surfing the interweb, thats for sure :P

tesco
04-25-2006, 01:07 AM
I still have this old pic of sprocket from when she was just a little girl...

I bet that's the mobo, cpu (altho I thought u had a 2600+ not a 2500 :unsure:), ram(?), and vid card with heat sync that you're giving up.:cry:

Seedler
04-25-2006, 01:48 AM
Yah that PSU and vid card are defintely overkill for surfing da net.

clocker
04-25-2006, 10:48 AM
I still have this old pic of sprocket from when she was just a little girl...
Jeez Ross, that's an oldie, isn't it?
Indeed that is the motherboard and vid card (although the Zalman cooler is in my desk drawer now).
I don't even remember when I acquired the 2500 Barton...you're correct, my main CPU was the 2600 Tbred (it OCed better IMO).

Here's the new MomPC...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/clocker/mom4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/clocker/mom3.jpg

It actually runs pretty well...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/clocker/mom1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/clocker/mom2.jpg

Yah that PSU and vid card are defintely overkill for surfing da net.
Well, the vid card has essentially zero value on the open market these days and the PSU (which I have been using as a test supply) is noisy (twin 80mm fans) and underpowered for a modern system.

I delivered and set it up last night.
Her eMachines can be repaired for @$70 (needs PSU and motherboard) and sold at the shop for maybe $200, so in the end both Mom and I make out OK.

tesco
04-25-2006, 02:05 PM
Nice looking case, that was a cheapy?
I guess the structure of it could be bad but from the outside it's nice looking. :)

clocker
04-25-2006, 02:45 PM
Ross, it's the Briza-63 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811182568) made by Codegen.
The included 350w PSU is junk of course (although we cross our fingers and use them anyway...hope they survive the one year warrantee period) and the interior is that cheezy galvanized looking, soda can thin steel- but what do you expect for $45?
Both sidepanels are extensively perforated as is the front (although that is deceptive; the front mesh is just an overlay to a much more restrictive full coverage plastic bezel) and there are provisions for two 120mm fans.

The folks who buy our low end systems seem to think they are very stylish and I suppose compared to the usual beige box they are.
It's pretty easy to hide/route the wiring, our build guy likes that part.

My Mom could really care less, although the bright blue power button LED met with her approval.

Gripper
04-25-2006, 03:14 PM
Typical woman"ohhh look at the pretty light"
Did you get a good meal out of it?

clocker
04-26-2006, 11:32 AM
What happened to the eMachines?
The super high quality (cough, cough) Bestec PSU went and took the motherboard with it.
I see maybe ten instances just like that every month at the shop.

If I owned an eMachines (many Compaqs use the same supply), the first thing I'd do is replace the PSU.
Then I would kill myself.

suprafreak6
04-26-2006, 07:52 PM
total price?

clocker
04-27-2006, 04:56 AM
The only new part was the case.
Everything else I had laying around.