PDA

View Full Version : Who invented new keyboard layout ?

digmen1
04-25-2006, 03:21 AM
Hi Guys

As a computer user for 20 years I was really pissed off the other day when I bought a Microsoft keyboard through the mail.

I love the key touch as I find I make less errors than on all my other keyboards during the years.

But the layout of the Home, End, Delete, Pgup, PgDwn keys really annoys me. All previous keybaords had them in a horizontal layout, and now Microsoft in its "wisdom" places them in a vertical layout and I spend ages hitting the wrong keys and having to look for them every time I use them !

Does anyone else find this a pain ?

regards

Digby
NZ

Chewie
04-25-2006, 08:38 AM
Yep, it's a real PITA.
I got so pissed off with my old M$ Multimedia k/b one day that I pressed some keys a little too robustly and broke one of the riser feet underneath at the back.
I bought an M$ Internet k/b to replace it and don't miss those stupidly arranged keys at all. I don't miss that daft F-Lock crap either.

Barbarossa
04-25-2006, 09:38 AM
Funny how the "qwerty" layout has remained, even when the reasons for it are long gone (I think the letters were laid out like that on manual typewriters so there was less chance of the mechanical arms jammimg)

Will we be stuck with this anachronism for as long as keyboards are fashionable?

zaphodiv
04-25-2006, 11:17 AM
I collect old keyboards. I'm still irritated by the position of the left window key. I use the space between left-ctrl and left alt as a guide for pressing them without looking. I would not care if those keys were up at the top of the keyboard out of the way. I never ever use those keys, I'v been suing ctrl+esc, alt-tab, alt-f4 etc since windows 3.

I'l allways use qwerty keyboards. I look at the screen, not the keyboard, and think the words I'm typing and they appear. I'v been touch typing long enough that pressing the individual keys has become mostly subconcious.

There are lots of people who have been used computers for years but still hunt-and-peck at two words a minute, leaving lots of spelling mistakes that they would notice immediatley if they were looking at the screen.

I find using different laptops fraustrating because I keep pressing whatever key is in the same place as pagedn on mine. I also get irritated by the lack of a scrollwheel.

Barbarossa
04-25-2006, 11:20 AM
I collect old keyboards. I'm still irritated by the position of the left window key. I use the space between left-ctrl and left alt as a guide for pressing them without looking. I would not care if those keys were up at the top of the keyboard out of the way. I never ever use those keys, I'v been suing ctrl+esc, alt-tab, alt-f4 etc since windows 3.

I'l allways use qwerty keyboards. I look at the screen, not the keyboard, and think the words I'm typing and they appear. I'v been touch typing long enough that pressing the individual keys has become mostly subconcious.

There are lots of people who have been used computers for years but still hunt-and-peck at two words a minute, leaving lots of spelling mistakes that they would notice immediatley if they were looking at the screen.

I find using different laptops fraustrating because I keep pressing whatever key is in the same place as pagedn on mine. I also get irritated by the lack of a scrollwheel.

Whoops! :P

zaphodiv
04-25-2006, 01:26 PM
Good point but my spelling is actualy much better than it used to be.

tesco
04-25-2006, 09:55 PM
Do you have a pic or model number of this keyboard? I've never seen the home/insert/delete/pgdwn/pgup keys in any other place than where they usually are. :unsure:

What really pisses me off tho is those keyboard where the backspace is a single key wide, the / is next to it (which i end up hitting :@) and the enter key goes up an extra space where the \ should be. :frusty:

The FLOCK on my keyboard pisses me off too since i never use the functions they put up there and flock is off by default :frusty:

digmen1
04-25-2006, 11:36 PM
Do you have a pic or model number of this keyboard? I've never seen the home/insert/delete/pgdwn/pgup keys in any other place than where they usually are. :unsure:

What really pisses me off tho is those keyboard where the backspace is a single key wide, the / is next to it (which i end up hitting :@) and the enter key goes up an extra space where the \ should be. :frusty:

The FLOCK on my keyboard pisses me off too since i never use the functions they put up there and flock is off by default :frusty:

Hi Rossco

The keys are in the same place as usual, but in a different layout ie vertically two keys wide, rather than horizonatally 3 keys wide. Its just that I am so used to the traditional layout.

Yes small backspace keys annoy me too.

As does the stupid F Lock key - it always fools me as I tend to re-boot a few times day even though I'm on XP. It seems to upset others also !

Regards

Digby

Chewie
04-26-2006, 12:20 AM
http://www.mb-tech.at/images/micmultimedia.jpg

Seedler
04-26-2006, 12:39 AM
http://www.mb-tech.at/images/micmultimedia.jpg

that's perty ghey:dry:

lynx
04-26-2006, 08:18 AM
Can anyone here spell Logitech?

Keys where you expect them to be, and a F-Lock button that has the right default.

Let's face it, Microsoft have trouble getting software right and they can change that in seconds. You expect them to get hardware right? :frusty:

clocker
04-26-2006, 11:20 AM

I can, but I don't work for free.

digmen1
04-26-2006, 07:43 PM
Thanks Chewy !

Thats a pic of the keyboard layout I am talking about. Except mine is all black.

As I said the key touch is lovely, I find I make less typos on this keyboard its just those damn Home/End/PgUp/PgDn keys that annoy me and that damn F-Lock key.

Regards

Digby

silent h3ro
04-27-2006, 02:00 AM
Just learn and get used to how keyboards are layed out now, it's not that difficult at all once you get used to it...

Chewie
04-27-2006, 08:52 AM
Just learn and get used to how keyboards are layed out now, it's not that difficult at all once you get used to it...
Eh?
I've already learned how they're laid out, thanks.

Microsoft are the only company pissing around with layouts AFAIK, and it would appear no-one likes it. Even a (not very computer savvy) workmate is fed up with hitting the wrong keys on the M$ k/b he's been issued.

tesco
04-27-2006, 07:57 PM

Keys where you expect them to be, and a F-Lock button that has the right default.

Let's face it, Microsoft have trouble getting software right and they can change that in seconds. You expect them to get hardware right? :frusty:
My keyboard is logitech and has wrong FLOCK default. :(

digmen1
04-28-2006, 06:18 AM

Gam3guy

It looks like you are the only one that likes the layout.

I note that you are 16 - well I am 56 and have been selling and using computers since 1984 and I can tell you that it is very hard to get used to a new layout. I continually hit the wrong keys.

And also it is not "how keyboards are layed out now (laid out now ?) its how Microsoft decided to do it to save width on their keyboards. Most other keyboards I see have the traditional layout !

Regards

Digby

Duffman
04-28-2006, 11:08 AM
Don't be a bunch of pussies, go get a flat screwdriver and anykeys you don't want you just snap off, haven't had caps lock on a keyboard in years, and you can get that flock off too, sorry it doesn't work for that pg down problem, but whatever.

lynx
04-28-2006, 11:45 AM
sorry it doesn't work for that pg down problem, but whatever.Surely you've worked out how to fix that with a hammer and hacksaw?

Edit: Just noticed, Digby is older than I am. Woo-hoo. :P

silent h3ro
04-29-2006, 02:14 AM
Eh?

Microsoft are the only company pissing around with layouts AFAIK, and it would appear no-one likes it. Even a (not very computer savvy) workmate is fed up with hitting the wrong keys on the M$ k/b he's been issued.I didn't mean to offend u buddy. :dry: Next time don't buy a Microsoft keyboard.:frusty:

Chewie
04-29-2006, 08:42 AM
Eh?

Microsoft are the only company pissing around with layouts AFAIK, and it would appear no-one likes it. Even a (not very computer savvy) workmate is fed up with hitting the wrong keys on the M$ k/b he's been issued.I didn't mean to offend u buddy. :dry: Next time don't buy a Microsoft keyboard.:frusty:
I like the 'feel' of Microsoft keyboards but sometimes there's not a great choice when you need to buy one. When I bought their 'Multimedia' one (at South East England's biggest computer fair) it was a choice of that, a £2 Korean POS or one of Turbo-Media's cheapo models. :frusty:

Faux Carnival
05-02-2006, 04:20 PM
Yeah, some keyboard manufacturers change the layout and that pisses me off. Some have the ENTER key smaller. Some have the SPACE key smaller. And stuff like that.. Not cool.

silent h3ro
05-04-2006, 02:43 AM
I didn't mean to offend u buddy. :dry: Next time don't buy a Microsoft keyboard.:frusty:
I like the 'feel' of Microsoft keyboards but sometimes there's not a great choice when you need to buy one. When I bought their 'Multimedia' one (at South East England's biggest computer fair) it was a choice of that, a £2 Korean POS or one of Turbo-Media's cheapo models. :frusty:Ohh I see then I guess you didn't have a choice...but south englands biggest computer fair? You would think they would have more keyboards. :rolleyes:

Chewie
05-04-2006, 04:40 AM
I like the 'feel' of Microsoft keyboards but sometimes there's not a great choice when you need to buy one. When I bought their 'Multimedia' one (at South East England's biggest computer fair) it was a choice of that, a £2 Korean POS or one of Turbo-Media's cheapo models. :frusty:Ohh I see then I guess you didn't have a choice...but south englands biggest computer fair? You would think they would have more keyboards. :rolleyes:One always has a choice, even if it is to not buy at all. Perhaps I'm just cursed in having a preference at all, then.
:rolleyes: