PDA

View Full Version : Window Washer

iMartin
04-27-2003, 02:39 AM
I'm bored so I think I'll help some people out that need some extra memory and this will make your comp a little faster (not the internet).
Just get Window Washer 4.8 Registered Version. the first time i used it it cleared 624 Megabites! and that just from haveing my comp for nearly 2 years. 1 month later i've cleared neasrly 500 more megabites!
About Window Washer:

Protect your privacy and recover valuable hard drive space with Window Washer. Window Washer allows you to easily clean up the history of your activities on your PC and the Internet. Window Washer's intuitive interface makes it easy to get rid of unwanted information that often clogs up system resources. Window Washer can automatically clean up your browser's cache, cookies, history, recent document list, and much more. Window Washer even includes a Custom Wash Items feature that allows you to specify other files and folders that you would like to have cleaned.
Free Custom Wash Item plug-ins allow you to clean many third-party programs, such as RealPlayer and Adobe Acrobat. You can set Window Washer to run automatically in the background and clean your files and history as you work, or you can have it clean at start-up or shutdown. In addition, a Bleach function is also available that overwrites deleted files with random characters a set number of times, making them unrecoverable by file recovery utilities. Version 4.8 includes enhanced password security, improved bleaching functions, faster cleaning speeds, and an automatic check for updates.

Enjoy B)

the-ninja69
04-27-2003, 09:19 AM
Window Washer is an excellent program.

I have been using it for a like a half a year and it clears up so much space. Then you can download custom to items to so it clean other particular programs. You can also add bleach so other programs cannnot bring it back.

amphoteric88
04-27-2003, 10:02 AM
you can use it to wipe files from your hdd too. if you leave files in the recycle bin, and run win washer with the bleach on (more than 7 writes), you will get rid of the files in your recycle bin forever.
it's pretty quick at cleaning too, much faster than the norton wipe data program in norton utilities

TRshady
04-27-2003, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by amphoteric88@27 April 2003 - 10:02
you can use it to wipe files from your hdd too. if you leave files in the recycle bin, and run win washer with the bleach on (more than 7 writes), you will get rid of the files in your recycle bin forever.
it's pretty quick at cleaning too, much faster than the norton wipe data program in norton utilities
that sound's good, I'll try it then. Is this (or do you know of any) which will delete traces of all files permanently delete already?

for example, I deleted a file two weeks ago and emptied bin, is there a program which will delete that trace.
That's just an example but it would be a great tool though.

amphoteric88
04-27-2003, 10:50 AM
if you have norton utilities, there is an included program which will wipe a file completely from your hdd. the option is called a governmental wipe, i think it's in a program called data wipe within norton utilities. anyway, it'll remove all of the file, however it may not be able to remove traces of the filename, so if you have any dodgy files, you may want to rename them before you open them. this way there's gonna be no record of any dubious files on your comp
good luck finding the proggie

TRshady
04-27-2003, 10:57 AM
:( I just got it (about 1mb) 249users and it's the virus worm/sddrop. I'll run AVG to get rid of it (hopefully), It would of been real nice if someone told me "the 1140kb is a virus" but don't worry.

amphoteric88
04-27-2003, 11:05 AM
bad luck. i absolutely hate viruses, it really annoys me that some people sit at home and just make up malicious code to annoy people.
there's a link to the real version if you just search in the software: verifieds section. you'll have to make it for the last 365 days though, not a lot of people are posting hashes for it, it's been out for a while
bad luck again with the virus, hope there's no damage done

TRshady
04-27-2003, 11:12 AM
thanks for your luck (I think it helped) :D .
AVG actually healed it, My faith in AVG has risen (way to go Grisoft :) )

ok, I'm off to try the second most popular file.

amphoteric88
04-27-2003, 11:15 AM
lol, i used to have avg, but went off it when it wouldn't let me download the updates for it. switched to norton 2002 pro, and then to pc-cillin 2002 (cos it came free on my mboard disc). don't know which one i prefer, probably norton though, it was very fast at scanning.
good luck getting the right file this time

E.E.
04-27-2003, 01:39 PM
Before you use, install, buy or even look sideways at an antivirus program check this site out.
I have in the past used three different antivirus programs that actually stuffed my computer.
Now I know why, they were listed as XP friendly but they just don't cut the mustard.

http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archives/index.xml

Using Norman now much happier. (DrWeb was my first choice but they detected my cracked version. Nuts.)

E.E.
[FONT=Impact][SIZE=1][COLOR=blue]home of quality

sparkyjones23
04-27-2003, 02:51 PM
Window Washer with the bleach option is what you need :ph34r:

harrycary
04-28-2003, 08:16 PM
I don't know fellas but a simple reboot of your PC will restore all of your memory.
As far as deleting files, "erasing" never really occurs but the programs you guys have listed simply overwrite the data so it cannot be read again.
AnalogX (http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/system.htm) has a bunch of freeware including a tiny program called "Supershredder." It will overwrite more than enough times to make that data "disappear."
As far as AV protection, I've been online since 1997 and have only used online virus scanners. I've never gotten a virus. Ever.
Opening unknown attachments and downloading unknown(unverified) software are 2 things I never do.

Just my 2 cents... B)

lunatacs
04-29-2003, 01:48 AM
I also sugguest winbrush the program, I been using window washer too though.

TIDE-HSV
04-29-2003, 03:44 AM
For a program which just frees RAM, and can be set to do it on schedule, try FreeRam Pro XP. It's a free DL from PCWorld or PCMag.

-L!qU!d-
04-30-2003, 05:12 PM
Nice posts guys... Usefull uttilites. :)

drakkie
04-30-2003, 06:35 PM
Just to clarify some misconception here.

First window washer does not release more ram and it does not speed up your pc
It merely cleaned up your HD releasing more space. You can do that manually if you know how.
The down side, it eats up your resources by running in the background.

Second ram does not retained info. When switching off all your ram comes back, only ramdrive
can retained info by creating an image file.

Third by installing all those so-called "free ram " "double ram" programs, does more harm than good
to your pc. They hogged your resources. When your resources dropped, your pc crawls.

The only way is to buy more rams, they are cheap.Don't try to cheat.You don't get something for nothing!!!

TIDE-HSV
04-30-2003, 10:53 PM
If you have plenty of RAM, sometimes it's better to use it than to free it. I have 512 and I have the WIN XP kernel running entirely in RAM - not in the swap file. It speeds things up considerably, and I still never drop below around 150.

rastilin
05-02-2003, 12:29 AM
Unless you do visual design you'll never need more than 512mb of ram.

TIDE-HSV
05-02-2003, 12:53 AM
Well, I wish you were right, but you're dead wrong. I don't know how old you are, or how long you've kept up with PC and software development, but the minimum RAM for Windows keeps spiralling up. The "comfortable" minimum for XP is now 256. It's a luxury to be able to run the kernel in RAM - right now, with three IEs open, OE, Mailwasher, plus all the services I've not yet cleaned out with services.msc, I have 107 left in RAM. If Diskeeper kicks in (it's not supposed to until tonight), I'll drop to 20 and soon start using the swap file. Start up Street Atlas, or Photoshop, and I'm into the swap file. But, no, I can't agree that 512 is as much as I'll ever need. Bloatware (plus my inability to resist it) will drive it much higher. Oops, I just said above that I never drop below 150. I guess I have to add "under normal circumstances." :rolleyes:

clocker
05-02-2003, 12:59 AM
Oh, TIDE, you're such a computer hedonist! :P

I was running 1G of memory but just swapped out one of my 512's for a 256 ( needed to boost my backup pc). Even so, freeRAM usually shows about 500 mb of memory just sitting around. What a luxury!

TIDE-HSV
05-02-2003, 01:08 AM
Are you running the kernel in RAM? If you don't force it, it'll continue to use virtual memory.

clocker
05-02-2003, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by TIDE-HSV@1 May 2003 - 19:08
Are you running the kernel in RAM? If you don't force it, it'll continue to use virtual memory.
I have no idea what you are talking about.

I am an idiot.

When you say kernel all that comes to mind is Orville Reddenbacker. :P

the-ninja69
05-02-2003, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by drakkie@30 April 2003 - 10:35
Just to clarify some misconception here.

First window washer does not release more ram and it does not speed up your pc
It merely cleaned up your HD releasing more space. You can do that manually if you know how.
The down side, it eats up your resources by running in the background.

Second ram does not retained info. When switching off all your ram comes back, only ramdrive
can retained info by creating an image file.

Third by installing all those so-called "free ram " "double ram" programs, does more harm than good
to your pc. They hogged your resources. When your resources dropped, your pc crawls.

The only way is to buy more rams, they are cheap.Don't try to cheat.You don't get something for nothing!!!
Ya i was thinking the exact same thing. WTF does window washer have to with RAM.

LOL great point. Also windows washer only runs in background as it is cleaning otherwise it has no purpose to leave it on.

Also you can use msconfig to remove it from start up or go to start run regedit. Then hk current user then software then microsoft then windows then currect version then run and delete from their.

Only one prob thought it adds itself back there everytime you use it. So after you use it you have to do over again.

TIDE-HSV
05-02-2003, 01:44 AM
Here's a start: PCMag (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,896047,00.asp). With your memchips, you're probably being sought as a RAM abuser. Did you realize that you used your 300th post to confess that you're an idiot. :lol:

clocker
05-02-2003, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by TIDE-HSV@1 May 2003 - 19:44
Here's a start: PCMag (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,896047,00.asp). With your memchips, you're probably being sought as a RAM abuser. Did you realize that you used your 300th post to confess that you're an idiot. :lol:
Appropriate don't you think? :D

I would never abuse RAM. EWES maybe....

TIDE-HSV
05-02-2003, 02:47 AM
I always heard that about you western guys. I still remember the old joke about the horny noobie who chose the ugliest ewe in the whole flock. :lol:

clocker
05-02-2003, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by TIDE-HSV@1 May 2003 - 20:47
I always heard that about you western guys. I still remember the old joke about the horny noobie who chose the ugliest ewe in the whole flock. :lol:
No time for jokes here, this is serious business.

I now have a kernel living in my RAM.

Do I feel better?
What should I expect?

If I push my PC will my room smell like a movie theatre?

TIDE-HSV
05-02-2003, 03:08 AM
I hate to break this to you, but it's really a KENTUCKY kernel. Seriously, you should see a speed-up. Things traveling mechanically, no matter how fast, can never beat things traveling electonically.

clocker
05-02-2003, 03:49 AM
Originally posted by TIDE-HSV@1 May 2003 - 21:08
I hate to break this to you, but it's really a KENTUCKY kernel. Seriously, you should see a speed-up. Things traveling mechanically, no matter how fast, can never beat things traveling electonically.
That would explain why, immediately after rebooting, it asked for a mint julep.

Should I see a difference on the pc pitstop tests?

clocker
05-02-2003, 03:50 AM
Double post.
Not my fault.

TIDE-HSV
05-02-2003, 03:59 AM
Maybe. I think the main benefit will be intra-machine, apps running on the machine and particularly those taking up a good bit of processor cycles.

clocker
05-02-2003, 04:15 AM
Thanks for the info, TIDE.

TIDE-HSV
05-02-2003, 04:19 AM
Nite. You're spotted one time zone and ten years. ;)

drakkie
05-02-2003, 05:33 AM
Tide.. clocker.. No need to ribbed each other. About kernel and ram, let me clarify again..

Window kernel is an important part of the os.There is no need to load kernel in ram by yourself, it's done automatically when window boots or else your window would failed.

Is 512mb enough? Depends on what you do with your pc. If you works alot with video editing, encoding etc,..it's not enough on top of other programs simultaneously.Understand that ram and window resources dictate how your pc perform.(other than CPU, vga) So how much does window uses ram itself?. I would say about 150mb (I am referring to win xp and 2000, win 98 uses less), leaving 350 for your works. Resources dropped to about 80%(taken up by window/administrative tools). Antivirus, kazaa, office , scrensaver and all the background programs eat up a few percentage of your resources..finally you are left with about 50-60%
Now don't let your resources dropped to less than 30%, you are then in big trouble!! All the ram in the world would not help you.

Is anything more than 512mb a waste? Not really.. or else window would not allowed you to go beyond 512(I refer to win2k/xp not 98. Win98 has a limit switch of 512mb) If you are one of many who don't utilize their pc intensively , you could create a "permanent" ramdrive out of your spare rams and load your most common programs there.It would definitely help in speeding up your performance .

By the way Bill Gates is my paymaster!!!

j2k4
05-02-2003, 09:13 AM
Keep talkin' guys.

I am participating vicariously here through Clocker, as his relative level of PC ignorance, while not as great as mine, approaches it more closely than does anyone else's.

Signed: The Knowledge Thief (also known as: He whose avatar exhibiteth nomadic tendencies). :D

TIDE-HSV
05-02-2003, 12:16 PM
Drakkie, I'm afraid you're not correct about the kernel. If you were, most of the machines tune into this forum wouldn't run at all. People run XP all the time with 128M and less of RAM. Not fast, but it runs, and it runs by paging the kernel in and out of virtual memory - the swap file. The tip I pointed Clocker to simply disables the Paging Executive. (I don't know if you really followed the link or not). Here is another way; HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/SessionManager/MemoryManagement. Insert or change a value with the following details:

Data Type: DWORD
Value Name: LargeSystemCache
Value: 1

And restart. One of the most pleasant things about changing to XP is that your resource heaps are, for practical purposes, co-extensive with your RAM. No more 64K Win98 resource bottleneck. For a detailed and technical explanation from MicroSoft on how XP manages the kernel and resources, look Here (http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/driver/XP_kernel.asp).

clocker
05-02-2003, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by j2k4@2 May 2003 - 03:13
Keep talkin' guys.

I am participating vicariously here through Clocker, as his relative level of PC ignorance, while not as great as mine, approaches it more closely than does anyone else's.

Signed: The Knowledge Thief (also known as: He whose avatar exhibiteth nomadic tendencies). :D
Having once lived in the South, I've learned not only to embrace my ignorance, but have come to consider it an endearing character trait.

Not having any idea what I'm doing, computer-wise, makes every reboot an adventure. Given my sad and arid life, I need all the adrenalin I can get.

*how did you bargain with the Lord to revive your avatar?

TIDE-HSV
05-02-2003, 12:35 PM
Well, having lived around, I have yet to discover an area with a monopoly on ignorance. Also, as you know, where I live isn't really considered the "South," anyway - Southerners are by far the minority. You're up bright and early and already in good form. I'm off for a Friday meeting with "Mr. Greens." :D

clocker
05-02-2003, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by TIDE-HSV@2 May 2003 - 06:35
Well, having lived around, I have yet to discover an area with a monopoly on ignorance. Also, as you know, where I live isn't really considered the "South," anyway - Southerners are by far the minority. You're up bright and early and already in good form. I'm off for a Friday meeting with "Mr. Greens." :D
You're certainly correct about the geographic equity of ignorance distribution, however, in my experience, only in the South do they glorify it.

Isn't it ironic that lawyers, students and advocates of the convoluted and counter-intuitive art called "law", spend so much time on fairways?

Back to topic...
I shall now retest at pc pitstop and see if your suggestion made a quantifiable difference by their standards. If not....

FORE!! :D

j2k4
05-02-2003, 02:19 PM
Ah-ignorance as virtue-I must remember that; I'd bet it has origins in "The Book of Blondes" by Lydia Longlegs.

It DOES make a wonderful tool, I believe, for information-gathering purposes.

When I've been down south, I have been impressed with the moxy of the women-THEY ARE QUICK! The natives that I talked to spotted me for a Yank by my hurried gait, then sought creative ways to let me know they were on to me. :P

My folks (just north of Atlanta) say they see more of their friends from everywhere now than they ever did previously. They have said they know more people who hail from the U.P. originally than native Georgians. :huh:

I'd just like to know how the hell I ended up here, and how to get out, in this rotten economy?

TIDE-why are Southern gas pumps slow, too? Seems down there 'molasses' is an adjective, not a noun.

Apologies for fouling the thread. :P

TIDE-HSV
05-02-2003, 08:09 PM
Ah, you just watch the pumps more closely when you're in the South - just so they'll know you're on to them. :lol:

j2k4
05-02-2003, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by TIDE-HSV@2 May 2003 - 15:09
Ah, you just watch the pumps more closely when you're in the South - just so they'll know you're on to them. :lol:
Just so. :D

clocker
05-02-2003, 11:45 PM
TIDE...

Well, upon retesting at pitstop I did pick up 20 some points (almost broke a grand!), but, upon closer inspection of the scores, it turns out I gained them all in internet performance. I had gone through the excruciatingly long "BrowserTune" and it seems to have helped (my browser) alot.
The jury remains out on your "forced kernel" trick and I'm probably not the best test subject. Perhaps someone who actually uses their machine to do actual work will try this out and report back.
Til then I shall simply assume that you have helped me to make a giant leap in performance and leave it at that.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming... ;)

p.s. did you break par this a.m.?

TIDE-HSV
05-03-2003, 12:25 AM
Mr. Par and I are only acquainted a few times per round... :rolleyes: I've been following and devising ways to stay out of the swap file since Gates invented it (big, big insider joke - Gates never invented a damn thing in his life). It helped in WIN 3.1 and forward to 98SE, but one always ran into the damn resource bottleneck. NT really solved that, and, now, XP has brought it to the masses.

clocker
05-03-2003, 12:54 AM
Like, DUDE, whoa!

You've been in the trenches since Windows 3.1?
That makes you like, a pioneer!

You must remember when computers had hand cranks! :P

j2k4
05-03-2003, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by clocker@2 May 2003 - 19:54
Like, DUDE, whoa!

You've been in the trenches since Windows 3.1?
That makes you like, a pioneer!

You must remember when computers had hand cranks! :P
Perhaps I should introduce TIDE to my Father!
Trade tales from back when computors could fold and mutilate IBM cards. :P

JUST KIDDING-I'M sure my Dad has a few years on you, TIDE.

clocker
05-03-2003, 02:44 AM
Originally posted by j2k4@2 May 2003 - 20:13

Trade tales from back when computors could fold and mutilate IBM cards. :P

My neighbor across the street worked on ENIAC back in the day.

He was a machinist!
I look at my POS computer in front of me and don't see a single machined piece.

Times have certainly changed, eh?

btw Tide- what was Charles Babbage really like? :unsure:

TIDE-HSV
05-03-2003, 03:29 AM
Just keep cackling, youngsters. In 1983, I co-founded a company named Digital Engineering. We did computerized data bases for the nuclear power industry. All of our machines ran CPM, not DOS, and we originally had no hard drives - only 5&1/4 floppies. State of the art. I was in charge of peripherals - wired the printer cables, etc. (I mean soldered them up). I also was in charge of building the sets for trade shows. Not quite hand-cranked, but close. ;) Sold the company about ten years later.

clocker
05-03-2003, 04:44 AM
Originally posted by TIDE-HSV@2 May 2003 - 21:29
Just keep cackling, youngsters.  In 1983, I co-founded a company named Digital Engineering.  We did computerized data bases for the nuclear power industry.  All of our machines ran CPM, not DOS, and we originally had no hard drives - only 5&1/4 floppies.  State of the art.  I was in charge of peripherals - wired the printer cables, etc.  (I mean soldered them up).  I also was in charge of building the sets for trade shows.  Not quite hand-cranked, but close.  ;) Sold the company about ten years later.
Got out just before the hamsters died, eh? :P

akitotinkawa2
05-03-2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by TRshady@27 April 2003 - 11:43
Is this (or do you know of any) which will delete traces of all files permanently delete already?

for example, I deleted a file two weeks ago and emptied bin, is there a program which will delete that trace.
That's just an example but it would be a great tool though.
Yeah dude but unfortunatly not some thing that s been deleted already. Get DeepDelete which deletes you files and then rewrites miscallaneous data over it 36 times! using a different overwrite pattern every time cool huh?

Wolfmight
05-04-2003, 03:45 PM
I saw a guy all in a rush useing Window Washer on a school comp...musta been lookin at porn..
hense...wipes your tracks quick