PDA

View Full Version : About Widescreen Monitors

ApacNTS
04-27-2006, 01:34 AM
considering a widescreen lcd monitor for my next upgrade but have a question about widescreen movies, would they play full screen with widescreen affect, or would they still have lines showing? my first thought was yes widescreen+widescreen=perfection, thought i would ask. also any other thoughts about how games will look and things like that are greatly appreciated. heres the one in mind LCD (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824014105)

silent h3ro
04-27-2006, 01:57 AM
The lines will most likely be not as big or even might be gone depending on how wide the movie actually is (resolution wise). Also with widescreen monitors the resolution is not as common in games as standard 4:3 computer resolutions so I'm not sure all your games will run in the monitor's native resolution but it should look better, imo than a 4:3 monitor.

cpt_azad
04-27-2006, 04:21 AM
Well here's my take on it:

Ya, depending on resolution and aspect ratio (biggest factor) your dvd movies (or downloaded) will either have no black lines (top+bottom) or a very small portion showing, HOWEVER this only goes for dvd movies, if you download an AVI, most of the time the black lines will stay there....but the whole point of getting widescreen is for HDTV capabilities, so why waste it watching downloaded and encoded vid files?

Games look 200% better (lol) on widescreen cuz u get to see more, basically, you can run the game in 800x600 or w/e, it'll automatically know that its in widescreen mode (most games detect it), and some games now a days also have widescreen resolution options too (HL2 for example).

mr. nails
04-27-2006, 09:11 AM
it'll automatically know that its in widescreen mode (most games detect it), and some games now a days also have widescreen resolution options too (HL2 for example).
that's pretty much true, but the "most games detect it" should had said "most NEW games detect it." older games will run in standard aspect and u'll get ur "black lines" on the left and right side of the games. u can dl patches for some older games so they will run @ widescreen aspect such as diablo II. <-- which is cool.

also, yeah, like said above. 16:9 ratio will have no aspect lines on the top and bottom portion of the movie on a widescreen lcd.