PDA

View Full Version : new hdd

04-27-2006, 02:19 AM
i was thinkging of getting a new hdd as i have a 80gb hdd now. i will use my 80 gb for the OS and the new one for everything else. if i reformat, will I only need to reformat the 80 gb hdd to get xp on it or reformat both hdds? this is what i had in mind:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148131
i could use less space, about 200 gb but the prices are not that cheaper. also this is a OEM. do i need any other cables or anything else to install? i have a 5 yr old dell (:()... is thier a max hdd size limit? also is thier a guide of how to install a hdd? thanks

Virtualbody1234
04-27-2006, 03:48 AM
Why do you think you would need to reformat the 80GB hdd? Isn't the OS already on it?

My thinking is that you just need to connect the second drive then partition and format it within Windows.

About your drive choice... Does your system even support SATA 3.0Gb/s? I would think that a 5 year old PC would only support IDE. Better check that before purchasing anything.

peat moss
04-27-2006, 04:06 AM
Guides every where on the net , using google I found many the third choice even has a movie . :)

http://www.google.ca/search?q=install+a+hdd&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official

04-27-2006, 07:26 PM
Why do you think you would need to reformat the 80GB hdd? Isn't the OS already on it?

My thinking is that you just need to connect the second drive then partition and format it within Windows.

About your drive choice... Does your system even support SATA 3.0Gb/s? I would think that a 5 year old PC would only support IDE. Better check that before purchasing anything.
how would i find out if it can support it or not?

tesco
04-27-2006, 08:00 PM

It most likely doesn't, sata is only about 2 years old...
You'll need to find an IDE drive.

Boogieman117
04-28-2006, 03:36 AM
I bought a Seagate 250GB, 7,200 RPM HD and love the hell out of it. I threw all of my backup stuff on it and it responds wonderfully over networks.

05-01-2006, 12:02 AM
It most likely doesn't, sata is only about 2 years old...
You'll need to find an IDE drive.
what do you reccomend?

lynx
05-01-2006, 12:16 AM
You may come across the 137GB (28-bit LBA) size limit, but that's dependent on the motherboard and the OS version (and SP release) not the drive.

Your OS needs to be XP+SP1 or W2K+SP3 and the bios on your mobo has to be 48-bit LBA enabled in order to handle drives greater than 137GB. Check whether your bios can handle that size (or be upgraded if not) before buying a bigger drive. If it can't handle it I suggest looking for a 160GB drive (from any of the major manufacturers) and put up with the loss of 23GB.