PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading CPU's...

Izagaia
05-01-2006, 11:06 PM
I am largely a PC hardware "moron" so please bear with me if my inquiry is abit on the ridiculous side. However, I am thinking of purchasing a Sony Vaio model VGC-RA820G. This model utilizes Intels 915p chipset/board and sports a Pentium 4 @3.2Ghz. I do not currently know the motherboards manufacturer.

My question is that I wish to upgrade the current processor to a Pentium D. Preferrably either the 820 @ 2.8Ghz or the 830 @ 3.0Ghz Model. Both chips (P4 and D) run on LGA 775 type motherboards. Is anything, like I am suggesting, even remotely and safely possible?

The reason I wish to pursue this route is because I have found a pretty good deal on this Vaio RA model. But unfortunately it does not sport the CPU I am quite looking for. Thanks in advance for any help! :)

spirex
05-02-2006, 03:16 AM
Even though both processors contain the same numbers of pins, I think the pin layout is different, so no it won't work.
http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/dualcoreintel/

Virtualbody1234
05-02-2006, 03:37 AM
If you're thinking about replacing a CPU on a new PC then why don't you just build your own computer? You end up with each component being those that you choose.

Also... I highly recommend that you look at what AMD has to offer instead of Intel.

fkdup74
05-02-2006, 03:58 AM
Even though both processors contain the same numbers of pins, I think the pin layout is different, so no it won't work.
http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/dualcoreintel/

ummm.....it won't work, according to that link, because of lack of chipset support
where'd you get the idea about the pin-out? :blink:

and wtf are they thinking? another Intel biased site or what?
"Hey...let's match up a dual core Intel with a single core AMD to make Intel look good."

Intel fanboys....meh.....

why didn't they try the D against a lower end, hence lower priced, X2?
think about it....

spirex
05-02-2006, 04:33 AM
Its an old article when the price of an x2 was alot more than a pentium d and the theres a slight difference in the pinout to determine if the processor is dual core.

fkdup74
05-02-2006, 05:34 AM
Its an old article when the price of an x2 was alot more than a pentium d and the theres a slight difference in the pinout to determine if the processor is dual core.

ahhh, see, I didn't look at the article date :P

but seriously, it said nothing about pin-out, in fact, it said that a 775 would take a D,
except in the case of lack of support from the motherboard (BIOS) or chipset (915)

it was a serious question about where you got the pin idea, btw
to me, a 775 is a 775 is a 775, or should be
I'm in the IT field, our office buys Dell, meaning they buy Intel
(if I were in a postion to change that I would, but.....)
if there is indeed an alternative configuration,
(which would be erroneous on Intel's part IMO, but that's neither here nor there),
it is something I would very much like to know
if a CPU blows past the warranty period, but still in the lifetime of the 775,
it would be a PITA to get the replacement parts all fugged up

clocker
05-02-2006, 12:18 PM
It hardly matters whether or not the motherboard supports your dream chip or not...it's a Sony and that's a deal-breaker right there.

Sony's bite the big one, consistently and without exception.
The industry's worst customer support and even more proprietary than Dell.

Do yourself a favor and pass this "good deal" by.

Izagaia
05-02-2006, 09:36 PM
Thanks, guys.

I suppose the "ultimate" answer to my question would be a:

great big, god-damned, HELL NO! :(

Most likely then, I would be far better off to wait for that "good deal" in something of a Pentium D flavor to begin with. That is unless I feel like swapping boards. And that would defeat the purpose of being in search of that "great deal".